Start by marking “Drachensinger ” as Want to Read:
Drachensinger

Drachensinger (Harper Hall of Pern #2)

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  35,425 Ratings  ·  656 Reviews
Pursuing her dream to be a Harper of Pern, Menolly studies under the Masterharper learning that more is required than a facility with music and a clever way with words.
Published 1983 by Heyne Verlag (first published January 1st 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Drachensinger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Drachensinger

Sebastien Castell
I won't go into depth as this is a book I've read several times since first encountering it as a teenager ages ago and there are literally hundreds of detailed reviews. One thing that inspires me about Dragonsinger, though, is that it doesn't follow the contemporary form of having everything go wrong for the main character all the way through until the end. In contrast, Menolly actually succeeds in almost every chapter--a victory for her shared with the reader--and yet somehow McCaffrey still ma ...more
Jessica
Jan 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite of the Harper Hall books! There's something so satisfying about Menolly, who went through hell in the first book, being treated like a princess, and shown around the Harper Hall. Getting new clothes, meeting new friends, finding out that her scarred hand will heal . . . just so satisfying!
Janni
Dragonsinger is very much one of those books that, while on the surface about music--Menolly, the protagonist, is a young musician who's just gotten the chance to train professionally, essentially, after earlier being told she had no right to play at all--is really about pursuing any art.

Dragonsinger falls a bit more strongly toward believing that artists are somehow a little different than others, something I'm not convinced of. But mostly it gets things right, and there's one thing I noticed t
Deborah Ideiosepius
This is a continuation of the previous book Drangonsong, and on this re-read I read them sequentially, though when I first discovered these books I did not have that luxury. Though it helps to have read Drangonsong first, McCaffrey comes from the generation of authors where you did NOT publish a book that could not stand on its own (a talent that as a society, we seem to have, MOST regrettably, lost), so it is quite possible to read this book as a standalone.

Menolly has been brought to the Harpe
Harold Ogle
I think it’s hard for modern readers to imagine the cultural landscape back before fantasy became commonplace and widely accepted. Back when McCaffrey wrote this, before Star Wars, there was very little presence of fantasy in pop culture. Sure, there was plenty of good fantasy to read if you knew where to look, but for most of the general populace, awareness of fantasy was limited to The Lord of the Rings, which had been published twenty years earlier. So when McCaffrey published her Pern novels ...more
Shellie
Nov 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all who love fantasy
Loved this series! Read it as a teenager and was sad to see the author was gaining in years. Eagerly awaited each of her books and read them in one sitting as often as I could. I have read these books countless times and own all except one that I can't find anymore (will check on line). Anne McCaffrey is amazing and a gift to readers. What a drag she is done writing!!!!
Mike (the Paladin)
Menolly's story continues and the books continue to be enjoyable. Not great literature, but nice.
Simon Mcleish
Aug 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Originally published on my blog here in September 2000.

Although, one of the lightest novels in the Pern series, Dragonsinger is one of my favourites. I find it very evocative of what it feels like to take pleasure in making music. McCaffery is of course musical (she was an opera producer before taking up writing), and music plays an important part in a fair number of her novels (the Crystal Singer series and The Ship Who Sang as well as several of the Pern series).

Dragonsinger follows on immedia
Doreen
Nov 20, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Misogynists.
Gross. I would strongly discourage my daughters from reading this because it encourages a certain kind of female I can't stand: the girl who doesn't get along with other girls (to whom I always want to say "The other girls don't hate you because you're 'special', they hate you because you're insufferable.") The tolerable, even interesting Menolly from the first book (which I gave 4 stars, by the way) disappears into a freaking Mary-Sue, oh so talented, yet so modest, championed by the "good" guy ...more
Meg Cabot
Jul 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book rocked my world in 8th grade. Plus, dragons!
Cris
May 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
I adored the new setting and characters in this book. The ending truly hit me in a personal way and moved me. I will not forget Menolly and her struggles for some time yet.
Dianna
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Oh, Menolly, why didn't I know you when I was a teenager? Another book to add to the list of books I wish I'd read when I was younger, but I'm glad I discovered eventually.
Paradoxical
Haha, this is so very much a feel good book. Menolly never really struggles with anything, and her troubles are rather shallow compared to all of her advantages, but I can't help but like the book anyway.

Menolly is finally in Harper Hall and she is training to be a Harper. It turns out (well, we knew this already to a degree) that she's a prodigy and can play instruments to a high degree, make them, and compose songs. Of course this gains her a lot of jealousy, though only really on behalf of a
TheFountainPenDiva
In Dragonsigner Book two of the Harper Hall trilogy, Menolly finally comes to the Harper Hall and here begins her new life, but not without serious growing pains. Her possession of nine fire lizards doesn't make her popular with some in the hall and like most novels of this type, Menolly finds herself dealing with the "mean girl" contingent of Pern. She makes friends with the irrepressible Piemur and begins a lifelong platonic love with Masterharper Robinton. As she slowly grows into her craft, ...more
Maria Elmvang
This is one of those books that would have been too short practically no matter how long it was. One of my very favourite books, and one of my introductions to the fantasy genre. I love the atmosphere it describes, and would love to experience some lessons at Harper Hall myself... even though I'd probably be more likely to be one of the clueless girls (although not as cruel I hope) than Menolly.

I love the lyrics that start off each chapter. Usually when books have lyrics or poems as introduction
Brooke Wayne
Apr 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my all time favorite books. It's my go-to book whenever I don't have anything to read. First of all, dragons. And tiny dragons. And riding dragons. And dragon riders. I. Love. Dragons.
Second, this book has to deal a lot with music and playing music, which is basically my life. It's fascinating seeing my passion through someone else's live. Seeing as I play four instruments, I was delighted to read a book with a heroine that loves playing music like I do.
Another thing I liked (even thoug
Gillian Murrell
Oct 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great book in this series Menolly stands up to the bullies in Harper Hall while making friends for the first time in her life. The fire lizards are growing and starting to become useful in all sorts of unexpected ways.
Shadi ***save your ratings use disclaimers**
Even after my 15th reread (this one through audiobook) I still love the hell out of the first two books in this series.
Alexa
Mar 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
4.5 stars.
Fluffy
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is such a good continuation from the last book. It's good to go straight into it from the last as it keeps the pace and the involvement.

AM is very good at starting books that are immersed in a storyline but she gives just the right sort of info to get you back on track or remind you from previous books. She avoids repetition of huge chunks of writing to remind you of the story and I really like that. As someone who reads a series altogether or not at all it works perfectly for me.

This book
Cadiva
Oct 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favourites in the whole series, I loved reading about Menolly (okay I wanted to be her when I was a teenager) and her flight of fire lizards and Master Robinton and Sebell and the whole Weyr.
Wastrel
A surprisingly peculiar book, of which I am very fond, and which I will re-read many times in the future - but probably not a very GOOD book, if we're honest.

Peculiar because it is heroically uninterested in conventional plot and structure. It's a girl, in a school, going to lessons, in a fantasy world. That's pretty much it. The school is a music school, which is a big part of why I love it. Unfortunately, nothing happens, which sort of limits the excitement. And the characters are... poor, to
Adi Greif
(See review for Dragonsong). Again, I loved this series and this book as a child. But upon rereading, I find it slow and unclear in its moral message. The main character is an unrealistic mix of traits -- she was essentially emotionally abused as a child and thus is generally overly apologetic and scared of not being liked. Most of the adults constantly praise her humbleness and meek attitude while simultaneously telling her to stop apologizing and believe in herself. Despite her meekness, she o ...more
Katie
May 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, fantasy
Oh, I love this one, too. It always amazes me at the end that the book only covers A WEEK because by the end, I feel so immersed in Harper Hall life.

I’m a complete sucker for school stories, and especially ones where you actually get a sense of what’s being taught and how classes are run. Anne “I love the logistics of worldbuilding” McCaffrey supplies that in spades and it makes me super happy.

Again with the gender roles and “we’ve never had a GIRL do this before.” In contrast to the outright
Kerry
Jan 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, 8, sf, reread, 2013
It was lovely to get back to Menolly and finish off her first story, since Dragonsong is in a way only half a book. That's the story of how Menolly gets to the Harper Hall, while this is the story of how she finds her place there and sets herself up for the future we will see, if as a side character, in later books.

On this reread, I find myself thinking that Dragonsong is a stronger book. The emotion is more powerful and it's a much more personal, perhaps because I felt I was deeper inside Menol
An Odd1
Feb 19, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
** "Dragonsinger" is quiet and leisurely, the second Pern fantasy by Ireland-based Anne McCaffrey, with sometimes Celtic terminology for the dragon rider world. A theme, that parents are cruel and wrong to force artistic children into more practical seeming occupations, is reinforced. The plot seems to be leisurely establishing relationships, separating friend from foe permanently. A paragraph condenses the first book, wherein kind Master minstrel finds musically talented fishing hold outcast te ...more
Vickey Foggin
Mar 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"You're a Harper, Menolly". This is the Harry Potter of Pern novel. Menolly finds out she is welcome at Harper Hall/Hogwarts, the elite school for harpers/wizards. When she arrives she finds she is already famous as the mysterious lost apprentice/boy who lived. Silvana/Molly Weasley is kind and motherly to her in a way she has never known before. The headmaster Robinton/Dumbledore takes a special interest in her and her training. One teacher, Morshal/Snape inexplicably hates her. Another student ...more
Crystal Anderson
Feb 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just as good the second time around!
Amy
Mar 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read, 2013
Just picked these up off of a shelf; forgot how good they are and had a great time reliving how much I loved them in the sixth grade. These are the kinds of books around which I have deeply specific material and emotional memories--I remember the exact shelf in our tiny little school library where I found them, and the tremendous relief and escape they afforded me during those years. This isn't so much a review as special sharing, but that's how special these books were to me: I can't really be ...more
Sara J. (kefuwa)
Jan 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Pern books may just be my guilty pleasure. A YA Mary Sue written way before those terms/genres ever came into being hence invalidating any negative connotations that may immediately crop up with those two labels for me. Or I may just be unduly biased to Pern (not that my wide ranging 3-Pern-book-total-read experience is any indication). I guess you may take this review with a grain of salt. I enjoyed reading this, YMMV.

Source: Bought used off Better World Books.
A Million More Pages: 2 - Dragonsinger (Harper Hall): Jul 11 5 10 Jul 18, 2015 01:17PM
  • The People of Pern
  • The Atlas of Pern
  • The Dragonlover's Guide to Pern
  • Anne McCaffrey's Dragonflight #2
  • Magic's Price (Valdemar: Last Herald-Mage #3)
  • The Forbidden Tower (Darkover, #12)
  • Heart's Blood (Pit Dragon Chronicles, #2)
  • A Dragon-Lover's Treasury of the Fantastic
Anne McCaffrey was born on April 1st, 1926, in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Anne was educated at Stuart Hall in Staunton Virginia, Montclair High Scho
More about Anne McCaffrey...

Harper Hall of Pern (3 books)
  • Dragonsong (Harper Hall, #1)
  • Dragondrums (Harper Hall, #3)
“The tears I feel today
I'll wait to shed tomorrow.
Though I'll not sleep this night
Nor find surcease from sorrow.
My eyes must keep their sight:
I dare not be tear-blinded.
I must be free to talk
Not choked with grief, clear-minded.
My mouth cannot betray
The anguish that I know.
Yes, I'll keep my tears til later:
But my grief will never go.”
720 likes
“The little queen all golden
Flew hissing at the sea.
To stop each wave
Her clutch to save
She ventured bravely.

As she attacked the sea in rage
A holderman came nigh
Along the sand
Fishnet in hand
And saw the queen midsky.

He stared at her in wonder
For often he'd been told
That such as she
Could never be
Who hovered there, bright gold.

He saw her plight and quickly
He looked up the cliff he faced
And saw a cave
Above the wave
In which her eggs he placed.

The little queen all golden
Upon his shoulder stood