Start by marking “Muse Unexpected” as Want to Read:
Muse Unexpected

Muse Unexpected

"We're Muses. Not vampires, not fairies, not werewolves. We're Muses." Sophie was sure her mother had reached an epic level of crazy. ‘We're Muses?' She thought Muses were lame, not to mention she found the idea ridiculous. However, Sophie couldn't explain away her physical transformation that made Anne Hathaway in The Princess Diaries look like a bad Walmart make-over, no ...more
Published January 15th 2014 by Crescent Moon Press (first published January 13th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Muse Unexpected, please sign up.
Alison I thought it was because it was out of print (when I saw on amazon the pricing), but I guess I may be wrong? It's not even available for kindle....
Archer's Voice by Mia SheridanMaybe Someday by Colleen HooverCity of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra ClareThe One by Kiera CassRaw by Belle Aurora
Best Books of 2014
3,459 books — 5,990 voters
The Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanMuse Unexpected by V.C. BirlidisThe Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick RiordanThe Last Olympian by Rick RiordanThe Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan
About Greek Myths
63 books — 45 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Muse Unexpected
Clint Brill
Jan 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Muse Unexpected can use another pass across the editor's desk to fix some glaring grammatical and spelling errors as well as some unrealistic dialogue in places. Seriously, I can't imagine anyone, especially a sixteen year old girl, actually thinking: I am going to kill whoever is the owner of that crisp and tight New England accent. That line actually plagued me through the rest of the book. The ending was a nice surprise but again it bothered me that the "bad guys" took time to explain their m ...more
Dawn
Feb 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy of this book for an honest review.

Muse Unexpected is a young adult fantasy full of mythology. It has some interestingly different twists on Greek mythology.

The characters are all well developed and complex. There was definitely a good vs. evil theme although, Georgia was not someone I would consider "good" at all. She was all about power. Her daughter and granddaughter, on the other hand, were both easy to like.

Just about the time I thought to myself that there were only f
Shawnee Poling
Feb 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Brilliantly written! I love Mythology and V.C.'s approach to the amazing mythos is epic! The characters are entertaining and quirky! I love the story line and the way it flows. I can't wait for the next book!

Sophie's life takes a drastic turn when tragedy strikes. Whisked away to her grandmother's home across the ocean is unsettling to say the least. Sophie learns a monstrous family secret that creates a major metamorphosis. Sophie must chose whether to accept her fate or turn her back on mankin
Emily
Years ago a young woman summoned the muses for her rightful place, however her reasoning was not based on wanting to do good, it was that of greed. Now her granddaughter Sophie has gone from being a normal teenager fighting with her mom to a muse and thrown into a mythological world to learn her place.

Very fun read it reminded me a bit of princess diaries/my big fat greek wedding/percy jackson. Sophie is a delight and I think underestimated a bit by those surrounding her. If you like books about
Dino Papas
Mar 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
First, this book was really good and it was written by a GREEK! So proud to see a Greek writer take a new stab at the Gods.

Sophie is a girl who struggles with her fate, to accept being a muse and save the world. I first thought the writer was doing a whole Harry Potter take, but this is completely different. It was really funny. I seriously thought he wrote about half of my family and he captured Xios, Greece perfectly. It reminded me of my family vacations!

This is a MUST READ. This book will b
Danielle
Feb 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
V.C. Birlidis' Muse Unexpected is a wonderful new fantasy dealing with a family of muses. Sophie's tragic love story, in my opinion, plays second fiddle to Birlidis' ability to give us lush descriptions. I simply loved the way he described Greece. It made me want to visit someday.

Don't get me wrong, this story is full of romance, action, mythological beings, and angst. I just can't stop gushing over the settings.

Birlidis is a new author to watch out for. I can't wait to see what he comes up with
Feb 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: electronic-books
This book surpassed anything I could have expected. I love mythology and with this book being a bit of mythology and a bit of a girl's fight to understand herself and her family, made this book a book that must be read by itself and also made it one of the books I will highly recommend to many people. I just finished it yesterday and already wrote down the information for a friend who has a Kindle. I couldn't put it down. You want to know what happens next. A must have for my collection. When th ...more
Melissa Simmone
Mar 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
I loved it. The only reason I didn't rate this 5 stars is because I have yet to read a book that earns 5 stars. This whole new take on the Greek Gods was both comical and creepy. I'd buy the next book. Definitely.
Reba Washington
Mar 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I've never read anything about the Greek Gods. So this was so completely amazing that I passed it onto my sister and I can't wait for her to get through it so we can talk about it.
Jackson Lacrue
Mar 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Totally didn't see this as a book I would be interested in. A friend who knows the author sent it my way and I gotta say, this was an incredible read. He better come out with another book.
Helen
Jan 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book has a great plot with a new twist on the greek gods, can't wait to read book 2. Put this on your must read list.

Christine Alonso
Mar 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: the reader in search of a grand adventure.
Shelves: fantasy-ya
A brilliant first offering. It has created a whole world of characters that I have fallen in love with. Very refreshing and at times had me laughing out loud!!
Valeria
Feb 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The storyline of this book is superb! I recently discovered that I very much enjoy a book that manages to blend Greek mythology with Christianity as a way of explaining how both religions came to be; and the thesis proposed by this author was great. I definitely bought into it; in a fictional way of course. The plot is intriguing and engaging and I found myself invested in the story from page one.

I loved that the author chose to put the main focus in Muses. I feel they are some mythological char
Becca
Feb 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Birdlis does an amazing job of making you want to dive right into this book from the start. The characters are well developed and laid out so you understand them all to the fullest extent. The setting is also very well explained so that you can understand what is going on in today’s society in which the book takes place. All of the build up in setting and plot is well worth it once you reach the end o the story because the ending is just an opening for more to come where this one left off. Even ...more
M.A. Kropp
Jan 29, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: e-books
Jasmyn
Muse Unexpected was a new twist onGreek mythology in the modern world. I loved the description of what the gods and goddesses were and how they came about, along with the various demigods. I give this book 4 stars, but I wish I could divide it into three and give it different ratings.

The beginning is definitely 4 stars. It opens with a very dramatic scene and jumps right into the story introducing all three of our main characters spectacularly. Birlidis does a great job of giving the personalit
Chris Torretta
Apr 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
As a lover of mythology I hoped I would get into this and I did wind up enjoying the overall story but there were a few things that caught me as weird...

First, my likes: Sophia! I really enjoyed reading about her. She is a normal teenager and never did I feel like her part of the story was forced. She had WHAT THE moments just like an average teenager would but she also got over those moments quickly.

The plot was also quite interesting. I love how V.C. Birdilis was able to put all of this Greek
Kimber Wheaton
Feb 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review

Muse Unexpected is an intriguing story rich with Greek Mythology. I haven't read a story about muses before, so for me this is a new take on the whole demigod plot. It's fast-paced, the story almost impossible to put down once started.

The story opens with Sophie's grandmother, Georgia, back when she was young and desperate to regain her birthright as a muse. Georgia is willing to sacrifice not only her own chance at happiness b
Denise Malone
Jul 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
In my opinion, the Muses aren't written about enough. As a matter of fact, I'd forgotten what a Muse even did from reading Greek mythology in 6th grade, and I was totally obsessed with Greek mythology and always earned perfect scores on mythology exams. I'll admit that was a few years ago, but my memory isn't that bad....yet.

This book hooked me in the first few paragraphs and kept me reading. I loved Sophie and felt protective of her immediately. I hated Georgia, and I wasn't sure how I felt abo
Peggy
Apr 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
So it's your 16th birthday and you've just been informed that your whole life has been a scam. You're not a normal teenager, you don't have to worry about the next calculus exam anymore, and you may be the only one able to save the future of the whole world. So the day begins for Sophie Drago.

This was an enjoyable book. The story started a little slowly, but it soon picked up speed. Good read.
Shawna Romkey
Feb 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014-reads
VC Birlidis' debut novel, Muse Unexpected was a fabulous read. A new take on the muses in mythology written with a smart voice, magical world building and cinematic effects will leave you wanting more. This is a fun book to read, sassy, scary & sweet with lots of developed female characters and a thought out family dynamic. It’s clear the author had as much fun writing it as I did reading it. I can’t wait to read more from this new, upcoming author! ...more
Michelle Umali
Apr 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Imaginative yet relatable, the book kept me guessing and wanting to read more. I'm not a fast reader, and yet I found myself finishing this book in two and a half days. I can't wait until the follow-up.
Trevor McCue
Feb 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Muse Unexpected was a surprisingly great novel. I have no doubt that this is the first book in a great new series and I cannot wait to see what V.C. does with the future of this story line.
S.A. Larsen
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Unique & Clever Journey Through Greek Mythology!

Love this new play on well-known Greek figures and even some that are less regularly concentrated on! Some of them are so interesting, even funny. There's much to uncover and learn as the story progresses and the mythology tweaks and changes. The explanations are plausible and real, and the world building is specific and special to itself. Under and around each new character hides a new mystery to be revealed. An enticing read mingling the old wi
Bridget
Apr 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Will
Jun 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I became interested in reading Greek/Roman mythology fiction or should I say partial fiction a few years back. The typical series most people have read. Muse Unexpected was a fast read because the writer draws you into his world on paper. Many surprises through the book keeps you guessing what will be next. Just when you think you have it figured out the writer adds a twist! Super great read. Don't miss out on this one!
Brandy
Apr 20, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting read

I liked the premise of the story quite a lot. The 3 stars are because of the grammar issues that pulled me from the tale on several occasions. With another edit, this could easily be a 4 of 5 star story
Jun 20, 2014 rated it did not like it
Terrible. I read 'til page 17 then tossed the book it was that bad. But I reread some of the Goodreads reviews and thought I'd give it another go. I made it somewhere into chapter three when I realized my eyes were bleeding and my IQ had dropped.
Valerie Wright
Feb 08, 2014
Isabella Prodi
Apr 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Crazy for Young A...: Muse Unexpected: Heralded as the new "Wicked"! 1 17 Feb 05, 2014 04:31PM
A Worn Paperback and a Huge Imagination

For Vasilios Constantine Birlidis (V.C. Birlidis), the road to getting published has been a long one. The inspiration for his novel, Muse Unexpected, was ignited when he was a child, due to his father reading to him from a worn paperback about the Greek Myths. The myths were certainly not the sort of bedtime story to read to a nine year old with an overactive

News & Interviews