Start by marking “Thorn” as Want to Read:
Thorn

Thorn

For Princess Alyrra, choice is a luxury she's never had ... until she's betrayed.

Princess Alyrra has never enjoyed the security or power of her rank. Between her family's cruelty and the court's contempt, she has spent her life in the shadows. Forced to marry a powerful foreign prince, Alyrra embarks on a journey to meet her betrothed with little hope for a better future.

B
Published January 2014 by Intisar Khanani (first published May 25th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Thorn, please sign up.
Intisar Khanani Hi Grace - I just spotted your question, and on the off chance that you are (still) wondering, here's what I can say: I usually recommend Thorn for…moreHi Grace - I just spotted your question, and on the off chance that you are (still) wondering, here's what I can say: I usually recommend Thorn for ages 15+ because of the nature of some of the themes (abuse, assault, etc.). The issue is really just assuring the reader has the emotional maturity to deal with what they're reading--so there may be particular younger readers who will do fine, and there may be older readers who won't, but 15 seems like the best guideline I can identify. I hope this helps!(less)
Barbara Even though they both draw from the same original fairy tale, they are very different stories and I don't personally feel like it would make any…moreEven though they both draw from the same original fairy tale, they are very different stories and I don't personally feel like it would make any difference at all which you read first. However you choose to read them, definitely read them both!(less)

Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Jan 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommended to Shelby *trains flying monkeys* by: Mada
A fairy tale re-telling of the "Goose Girl". I'm very pleasantly surprised at how good this book was.

Princess Alyrra has never played well at being princess. She just wants to do her own thing and let her abusive brother and cold mother do as they want, as long as she escapes their clutches.
A traveling King shows up at the palace and makes an offer for Alyrra's hand in marriage to his son Prince Kestrin.
Alyrra doesn't have a bunch of choices. Stay and face more abuse at the hands of he
Thorn 99-cent Sale For A Cause -

All proceeds from this sale will go towards helping a good friend cover the cost of international adoption of a pair of biological brothers with Saethre-Chotzen Syndrome--a condition that results in brain damage unless treated in the first year. Evan (age 7) and Raymond (age 9) were each given up at birth, and were unable to receive treatment for their condition.

UK: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00869SADQ...
US: http://www.amazon.com/Thorn-Intisar-K...
B&N: http:
Pauline Ross
I loved this book, absolutely loved it. It’s an object lesson for me, actually, in not pre-judging a book, because this one ticks so many of my ‘no’ boxes: it’s YA, it’s a fairy-tale retelling, it’s first person present tense (“I back away...”, “I gaze at him”), it’s more or less a romance, it’s about a princess who doesn’t quite fit in, it has villains with no redeeming characteristics. Had I known all that beforehand, I would never have touched it and I would have missed a lovely, lovely story ...more
Camly Nguyen
May 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
When a king asks Alyrra's hand for his son in marriage, she accepts happily knowing that she won't have to live with her cruel brother and bitter mother.
On her way to the other kingdom, she is cornered by her maid that used some magic from an ancient witch to switch their bodies. At first, Alyrra hated the change but slowly, she learnt to cherish the simple life. No princes, no courtly lessons, no dances... But when prince Kestrin(the dude she was to marry) grew suspicious of the fake princess
Katerina Kondrenko
8 out of 10

Ревью в моем блоге/This review on my blog
Living A Thousand Lives

Genre: fantasy, retelling, YA
Stuff: a la The Goose Girl
Fail: a bit passive MC
WOW: prince, atmosphere
POV: 1st person, female
Love-Geometry: none

Quote-Core:
"I am the Lady who has lost her soul. I am the princess who has lost her self. I am the goose girl who has lost her way. I am the chi
Sophia Sardothien
May 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-review
Thank you Intisar Khanani and Netgalley for sending me this book in exchange of an honest review

Having never to read Goose girl, I pleasantly enjoy reading this book.

The plot was alright, interesting enough to kept me reading for the entire time. Despite the fact that the synopsis seems to empathise a lot on the romance, but the main focus was definitely beyond that. I would have elaborate more but I think it would be better getting in the story without knowing much.

The writing style is ext
Cee (The Mistress Case)

I wish safety for Krestin, as little as I understand him— safety for him and from him.

I just— this one line— hit mehhh in the feels— I can’t.

Okay, okay, in all seriousness, let’s get started.

If you read and liked The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale like I did, don’t be afraid to pick up Thorn by Intisar Khanani. The storytelling is different, as I hoped it would it be. For one, there are Fey and sorcerers in Thorn and I don’t recall any in The Goose Girl (which I read years ago, so I may be mistake
Althea Ann
Sep 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
A beautifully-done retelling of 'The Goose Girl.'
(http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/grimm089.html)

As in the original Grimm brothers' fairy tale, a princess, on her way to meet her betrothed, is betrayed by her maid, who uses magic to force the two to change places. 'Thorn' adds an extra element of magic in that the women don't just exchange clothes; but actually switch bodies.

Prevented by a curse of speaking of what has been done to her, the princess Alyrra must make the best of her new situation and ad
Dana

This book is the only fairy tale retelling that I have actually enjoyed, and for that I am truly impressed and grateful. I really loved this story, and while the MC could be naive, I still found her very likable. The pace slows down a lot in the middle of the story, and for some this may drag too much. However I personally did not mind the slow pace, as I understood the MC's struggle and how hard it was for her to make a decision considering the life she had led.

I admit that I am not very famili
Marquise
A wonderful retelling of The Goose Girl fairy tale, that I liked tonnes more than Sharon Hale's unimaginatively entitled "The Goose Girl" retelling, which was too cloying, "fluffy" and unsubstantial to me.

This one has a very palpable Middle Eastern flavour, probably due to the author's background, which in itself was a very welcome change of ambiance from the European-like setting of most retellings, and though the world isn't especially complex or developed in every single painstaking detail,
Jeannette Nikolova
Jun 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Read on the WondrousBooks blog.

The acutal rating is about 4.5, but I'm pleased with Khanani, so 5 stars it is.
A couple of months ago I wrote about Intisar Khanani's Sunbolt. As you may have seen in that review, I liked the book but I wanted and expected more. I'm SO SO glad I decided to follow Intisar Khanani's work because Thorn is great!

If you are a fan of A Court of Thorns and Roses, you should be able to like this one too!

What's great about this book is that it has this lovely fairytale-
Talltree
Sep 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. I'd hug it if I could. It is beloved to me and will stay forever and ever on my reread shelf <3<3
Olga Godim
Sep 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-scifi
This novel is one of the few that have left me divided. On one hand, it’s too intense, too emotionally grueling for my taste. I wanted the heroine, Princess Alyrra (aka Thorn), to have a respite, to have something working for her, but the author wouldn’t oblige. So in my head, I argued with her. I told her that she was wrong to subject Thorn to so many indignities. I told her that the test she devised for her hero, Prince Kestrin, was unfair and unnecessary cruel. I told her that Thorn behaved f ...more
Beth
I adored this retelling of the fairy tale about the goose girl. The prose was gorgeous and the story wrapped me up so tight, I stayed up till 2am to finish it...

I love strong female characters, and Intisar Khanani has created one of my new favorite female heroines. Her goose girl came from a life of privilege, but one of coldness from her royal family. She grew up only knowing the kindness of the court servants, her only true experience of what family should be. When she is betrayed on her way
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Another retelling of the Goose Girl fairy tale, and a $0.99 Kindle special. I'm interested to compare this to Shannon Hale's version, which I adore.
Kirstine
Thank you to Netgalley for providing me with a copy (even though the publication date was in 2012/13). GO READ THIS BOOK.

I have before me now a new life, if I choose to take it. I feel a ripple of something sweet and wonderful wash through me. I am done with that, I think. I wonder if it is joy I feel.

With fairytale retellings popping up everywhere, it’s easy to think they might not be worth your while. But this one is, I promise you.

Other than being a standalone book, which is rare enough,
Shy
Jun 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves Mercedes Lackey would enjoy this
Wow. I was not expecting to be this swept up in the tale - I could not put it down and read the whole thing in one go, to the detriment of some sleep. So if this review rambles a bit, it's all because I stayed up all night reading.

I guess I should start with the unexpectedness - I found out about this book on Facebook as it was published by a high school classmate of mine. This was the only reason I went to look at in on Amazon and as soon as I saw that it was a fantasy genre I decided, why not
Ivie ✩Born to Magic-Forced to Muggle✩
When I was a little girl, I had a cassette tape with old fairy tales on it. The lady reading them had the most magical, softest voice you could imagine. I used to listen to that one tape every single night for ages, and it never got old. Amongst the stories was the one called Princess Goose Girl and it told a tale similar to this. Stolen lives and treachery, from riches to ashes, from darkness to light. Reading “Thorn” was an unique pleasure for me. There aren't too many novels out there that I ...more
Gail Carriger
Sep 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, historical, ya
A retelling of the Goose Girl fairy tale as a YA fantasy. At first I thought it would be very like To Play the Lady, but it turned out to be much darker and less romantic. It's beautifully written and easy to gobble up with a clean plot and some stunning imagery. At times, I found myself a little annoyed with the main character, she's quite passive, but this may be a consequence of the base material (after all, that's what most fairy tale heroines are = passive). In the end, I wished the romance ...more
Karla
Feb 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, retellings
This is a retelling of The Grimm's The Goose Girl and for some reason I have been into reading retellings of fairy tales and the likes and sometimes I find them a little lacking but the ones that I manage to finish are always my favorites.

As was the case with Thorn, I loved this book. It had everything I look for in book: fantasy, romance, mystery, good plot.. I honestly could not put the book down because I wanted to know what would happen next with Alyrra and all the problems she was facing.
Marina
Sep 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-ebook, 5-star
4.5

Oh. my. god.

This was so much better that I anticipated. Khanani weaves a magical fairy-tale full of curses, stolen identities, and cruel nobility. I was blown away by the intricate plot and the beautiful story.

Alyrra is a princess who finally gets a chance to escape her abusive family. But on her way to salvation, she is betrayed by her lady companion, and switches bodies with her. For awhile Alyrra is happy to be able to escape her fate, but she cannot outrun her destiny. It takes great loss
Elevetha
Apr 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Elevetha by: Miss Clark
Thorn was a really lovely retelling of The Goose Girl and a rather fantastic book in and above itself. One of my favorite parts about it was Alyrra and her actions and choices and, hmm, she's just quite wonderful. Another thing, probably my FAVORITE thing, was the romance. And not because it was sweeping or intense or super-shippy or cute (though it was getting there for some of those), but because it was very natural and real and by the end, I was just so pleased with the progression of their r ...more
Isa Lavinia
Jan 28, 2015 rated it really liked it

Actual rating: 3,5 stars

I admit to some hesitation when deciding whether or not to read this book, since it's a retelling of The Goose Girl and this has never been one of favourite fairy tales, what with the main character being a passive, somewhat stupid character because the brothers Grimm were women hating pos.
Plus there was that whole issue with Falada, the talking horse, and I, as anyone who has watched The Neverending Story, can't really deal with stuff AT ALL.

Whomever is familiar with Th
Kirsty (Amethyst Bookwyrm)
Thanks to Netgalley and Xpresso Book Tours for giving me this book to review.

15 year old Princess Alyrra has had no choices or comfort from her rank with a cruel family and the courts contempt, and now she is forced to marry a foreign prince. However, when on the journey to her new home and betrothed, she is betrayed by a magical attack and her identity is switched with another woman’s but this gives Alyrra a freedom she has never had before. Alyrra starts her new life as Thorn, a simple goose g
Ella
Jan 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
THE MC IS FIFTEEN AND DOESN'T ACT LIKE AN IDIOT. *faints* WHAT IS THIS MADNESS??!!

Answer: Something brilliant, obviously.
Apr 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
Wow, this is the first book I'm writing a review for in quite a while (Has it really been almost a year?), and while my review writing skills (few that I had) may be rusty, here we go!

I haven't yet read The Goose Girl by Hale, but I did look up the myth before reading. To that end, I was really surprised by how well it kept to it. The brutality of the original Grimm tale is there, but perhaps softened a bit by the hand of our protagonist.

Princess Alyrra, who goes by Thoreena/Thorn after she is t
Elisabeth Wheatley
It has been a very long time since a book captured me the way this one did. Though it was a bit slow in the beginning, once I got past the first few chapters, I might as well have been shackled to my iPhone. I simply could not tear myself away.

I had my eye on this book for awhile. The idea of a "The Goose Girl" retelling intrigued me. However, I had read another TGG retelling (The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale) and wasn't sure it would be entirely new. I must now eat my thoughts.

The plot:
I was high
Sinead Anja (Huntress of Diverse Books)
Check out my book blog for more book reviews and other bookish posts!

Thorn is another of Intisar Khanani’s books. She quickly established herself to be a favourite author of mine, and I just couldn’t stop reading her books during Ramadan Readathon.

I decided to read Thorn for two reasons. First of all, as I mentioned above, the author is amazing. Secondly, it’s a retelling and even if I’m not such a fan of the original tale The Goose Girl by the Brothers Grimm, I am a fan of retellings, especiall
 Simply Sam ツ
***3.5 Stars***

I wanted to read a fairy tale, complete with evil queens and curses, and this seemed to meet that criteria. As a bonus, it also fits the bill for our MacHalo TBR July cleanout. Score!

I am unfamiliar with the goose girl fairy tale, so while this may be a retelling, for me it was just the telling. No re about it. It was totally new so I went in not knowing at all what to expect. It was quick and easy to read. There was definitely a curse (more like 2 curses), an evil sorceress, talk
Bukcrz
Oct 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-can-loan
Wow, and again wow!
Though the book description sounds like this book will be your run of the mill Prince meets Princess, golden-heart Princess saves the Prince, and they live happily ever after. Not even close. It sounds that way at the start but soon, the twists and turns in the story will caught you off guard with its depths and truths.
The heroine’s (Princess) appeal and strength lies both on her lack/flaws (depends on who you ask) and her desire for a new path in life as she displays very uni
  • The Scarecrow King
  • Masque (Two Monarchies Sequence)
  • The Fire King
  • Medair (Medair, #1-2)
  • Touched with Sight (Shadow Thane, #2)
  • Spellbound
  • Viper's Creed (The Cat's Eye Chronicles, #2)
  • Cinderella and the Colonel (Timeless Fairy Tales, #3)
  • Sold for Endless Rue
  • Bryony and Roses
  • Solstice Day Gifts (The Emperor's Edge, #7.5)
  • Entreat Me
  • Painted Blind
  • Bear Daughter
  • Uncovering Cobbogoth (Cobbogoth #1)
  • Mine to Tarnish (Mine, #0.5)
  • Prince Prelude (Legend, #0.75)
  • Vulture (The Ferryman + The Flame #3)
Intisar Khanani grew up a nomad and world traveler. Born in Wisconsin, she has lived in five different states as well as in Jeddah on the coast of the Red Sea. She currently resides in Cincinnati, Ohio, with her husband and two young daughters. Prior to publishing her novels, Intisar worked as a public health consultant on projects relating to infant mortality and minority health, which was as clo ...more
“Should I run so far that I reach the sea, I should not have run far enough, for the thing I run from rides on my back and in my blood and will not be shaken.” 22 likes
“We all need our quiet, I think. We all have our unspoken wishes, hopes we cannot mention, choices we may yet regret.” 13 likes