Start by marking “Lay It Down (Desert Dogs, #1)” as Want to Read:
Lay It Down (Desert Dogs, #1)

Lay It Down

(Desert Dogs #1)

Backbreaking days, wild nights, and the hard hum of steel between your thighs...

That’s a life well lived, according to the Desert Dogs—four friends who call Fortuity, Nevada, their badlands home.

Vince Grossier is the self-crowned outlaw king around here. But when Fortuity’s slick new mayor invites a casino development to town, greed isn’t far behind—and it claims Vince’s g
Published August 5th 2014 by Signet Eclipse

Baba
Jan 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 oral-fixation stars. Full review posted August 11, 2014

photo oie_gDJw2g863k6U_zps95e274fd.gif

photo oie_TXD9HkTIdTC5_zps5f1b09d4.png

photo oie_Jo6i9v3BJxH6_zpsef4a4872.gif

Rating clarification
An extra half star for the orgasmically fucktastic sex! Besides, it's well-deserved because it includes the hottest dry hump ever. My favorite, however, was smexy time #2.

If you have been wondering if there's any pun attached to my oral-fixation stars…yes, absolutely! I love Vince's dirty mouth and his lips; I love the way he speaks, his deadpan humor, and I love watching him going down on Kim, and I definitely adore
♥Rachel♥
May 03, 2014 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

Lay It Down
was an intriguing start to Cara McKenna’s new series, and one that I hope to enjoy more as future installments come out.

Vince may come off as big, bad and tough, and he is, but he’s also a loyal friend, son, and brother. So when his longtime friend, Deputy Alex Dunn winds up dead in suspicious circumstances, Vince makes it his mission to find out what happened. Meeting Kim, a photographer for Sunnyside, the developer of a new casino, fits nicely into his plans of investigati
Andrea
Jan 16, 2014 rated it liked it
No one will be more surprised than me that I did not love Lay It Down. I don't even personally know of another reader who was more anxious to read this book. It's possible that my expectations were too high, but I honestly don't think that's it. As much as I wanted to love this book, I didn't.

Here's why...

Cara McKenna is a master at writing stories with a bit of quirk. It can be that the character has an unexpected kink, personality or occupation. Or they story might revolve around an unusual ci
SamJ ★Needs a HEA★
★Book Basics★

Genre : - Contemporary Romantic Suspense
Series : - 1st in the Series
Love triangle? - (view spoiler)
Cheating? - (view spoiler)
HEA? - (view spoiler)
Would I read more by this author? - Yes
Rating - 5

★Review★

This book was not what I was expecting at all.

I have read this author before, and I enjoy her books, and this, I sort of expected to be the typical MC romance book. A bit heavy on the sex and a touch of angst and
Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾
OH.MY.GOD!!

I need this book!

But August 14?!!! I think I just died a little
Kim Bailey
3.5 Stars

It took me a while to understand how I felt about this book. It was NOT what I expected from this author.
Normally Cara McKenna can woo me, wow me, totally turn me into a big pile of melty goo. But this book is a lot more suspense, mystery, and much less steamy erotica. And she added a touch of the paranormal? Odd & it didn't seem to fit with the rest of the story.
The writing is very good. The characters are well developed and interesting. I liked the general idea of the book and th
Amanda
Aug 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Apart from the really HOT dry humping scene that everyone was talking about, this book didn't really hit the mark for me. Vince is a fun hero that is full of humor and a tad sarcastic. Kim, the heroine is a sassy one. The romance was okay, but lost steam after half way because they were mostly sleuthing around. The suspense didn't capture my interest. From the beginning, I didn't really care who kill Alex Dunn.
Alex is The Romance Fox
Wow…this is some hot and wicked romance with a dose of suspense thrown in. What a start to Cara McKenna’s Desert Dogs Series.

After being so disappointed with the last book I read by this author, I am over the moon finding this series.

Set in a small town in the Nevada boondocks, with interesting and not your average characters that you cannot help liking.
Vince Grossier is king in this town..never mind that he’s been in jail…not for any really bad things….and together with his friends, who call th
Kelly
Aug 05, 2014 rated it liked it

I'm a fan of Cara McKenna's and I usually like her books, but this one really didn't do it for me. I liked the characters, the writing was good and the story held my interest, yet something was missing.

Will I read the next book in the series? Absolutely! There's still a lot of questions that need answering, plus it's Duncan and Raina's story. That should be very interesting.
-ya
May 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
2.5-stars
Is this romantic suspense novel intense? No. The pace is slow.
Banter? Yes.
Are the characters well-developed? Yes.
Does the mystery hold my attention? Not really. It is very predictable.
Am I curious about their small town? Uh…no.

Vince and Kim are likable characters. But I feel that their relationship lack strong emotional connections. Honestly, I don’t even care if they got their HEA.

The uniqueness I find in some of the Mckenna’s books is simply missing in Lay it Down.
Belle Aurora
This is the first and only Cara McKenna book I did not finish.
I love Cara's work, normally, and her writing is ALWAYS phenomenal but this story wasn't for me.
In saying that, give it a go because it might be your cup of tea ❤
✦❋Arianna✦❋
Feb 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
description

Lay It Down is the first book in Cara McKenna Desert Dogs series.

Despite the cover, Lay It Down is not a MC book, which I liked, because I’m not really a fan of MC books. However if it was the case, I would have read it anyway, because Cara McKenna is one of my few favorite authors.

Vince Grossier lived all his life in Fortuity, a small town in Nevada. Even if he had seen the inside of a jail a few times, Vince is not a bad guy. He doesn't live an exciting life in Fortuity, but he likes his smal
Jacqueline's Reads
Aug 13, 2014 marked it as did-not-finish
Shelves: arc
DNF 60%

HUGE SIGH

I like MC books and when I picked up Lay It Down, I had high expectations. I wanted something steamy, dangerous and intense.

I didn’t get that.

Lay It Down didn’t seem like an MC book to me. It’s about a guy, who is a biker, trying to solve a mystery. The pace was very slow and I found myself skimming. It took a good portion of the book before any direction was in place.

Then, finally when I got to the steam, it was so descriptive and so long, I was wondering, why couldn’t some stuf
Mandi Schreiner
Jan 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
Despite the cover or what you may have heard, this is not a motorcycle club book. There is a murder mystery, a sexy and gritty romance and a desert setting that contributes a lot to this story. I have a fondness for Cara McKenna's voice, and I really enjoyed this book. It's different from her previous work and surprised me a bit.

Vince Grossier lives in a very small town in the desert of Fortuity. He has lived there his entire life and even though it can sometimes be a shitty town, it's his town.
Ellie
Jan 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It's not an MC romance, but rather an intense romantic suspense thought the guys (and girls) do ride bikes and support each other without there being an official motorcycle club.

I loved everything about this story - the characters, the plot, the suspense, the romance, the hot love scenes and mostly the superb writing style of Ms McKenna!

Full review to come soon

So, here is my full review, also posted on http://elliereadsfiction.blogspot.com/

Cara McKenna is quickly becoming one of my favourite au
WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker
This book had way more story to it than I anticipated and I loved every second of it. It is heavier on the mystery and suspense angle but the author does a fantastic job of writing it and still incorporating all her characters while keeping the main couple, Vince and Kim front and center. This is Cara McKenna so do I even need to go into how hot the sex scenes are? Vince and Kim are instantly attracted to each other but it takes a little while for them to finally consummate the relationship but ...more
Maida»-(¯`v´¯)-»

RATING: 4 "You're coming off kinda bipolar, Vince." HEARTS!!

I think its safe to say that my VERY FIRST Cara McKenna book is a success! And that has to do with two major things: 1) VINCE --> This man could set Hell on fire with his hotness and that mouth (I do love his mouth very much! :P) and... 2) The beautiful writing. It makes you feel so many emotions in the span of minutes, all the high and lows, you feel right along with the characters, especially the DELICIOUS sex scenes! Mmmm...soooo
Camille Adams
I liked it.

It was good. Just sex with a premeditated arrangement and a condom good. Still sex. Still good. Just...diluted. Muted.

McKenna in the past was that tipsy, oh shit-chemistry, right here right now, clothes on or off, don't care how, nothing in between-we need to feel, straight up nasty, ooochie wally wally fucking.

They don't compare, exactly.

Ps: I did like the mother's and brother's gift.
The Cat Bastet
Feb 23, 2014 marked it as to-read
Ok, Cara McKenna, I'll read about bikers. Because it's you.

The things I do for this lady.
Brenna
Jun 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Still not quite sure how to rate this one. Liked it but didn't love it... 3 1/2 maybe?
Chappy
I'm not sure why the average rating for this book is so low...I absolutely loved it. It's not a traditional "biker" book, so maybe that's why.

As with any Cara McKenna book, the characters are deep and well thought out. They seem like very real people with flaws and thoughts and reactions.

Vince is consumed by his friend's mysterious death. No one believes him but he cannot ignore his gut. When he meets Kim, there is intense attraction and the sparks fly. But in his heart, Vince doesn't think she'
Wminbc
May 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this one!!! This book is exactly why I love Goodreads and my Goodreads friends. I read Louder Than Love and it was a 5 star read for me. I raved about that book and reviewed it and pimped it...Then one of GR friends (Hey Baba) tried it and was doubtful because she thought it was YA/NA. She loved it and thanked me for pimping it up...Well...FAVOUR returned my friend!!!

Baba reviewed this one...and her review is AWESOME. I had this one on my TBR, but after reading her review, I laid out the
Jess
May 09, 2017 added it
Unfortunately, I just couldn't get into this book. From the start I hadn't been feeling it, but then our two mains met I decided to give it another chance. I just didn't feel anything. Not even a spark. This could have nothing to do with the author or the book and just my mood and therefore I've decided not to rate this book. Sorry ladies, I know there were high hope for me and jamming with this book. :(
Pamela / SpazP
Mar 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 1st-in-series
Finally! A Cara McKenna heroine I totally like. And bonus - a side female character that I totally really liked too.I am a fan of this author, she has written a few of my favorite steamiest romances. But it never fails that in previous books, there is always something about her heroines that really freaking bugs me. It's usually her heroes and her stories that make up for it. Not this time! The hero, the heroine, the supporting characters who will inevitably get their HEAs in future books. Welll ...more
CC
Mar 15, 2018 rated it liked it

Definitely not the best book Ms.McKenna has written, but also not the worst. This is not an MC book. For the most part I enjoyed it. However it was such a close storyline to another book I read years ago by a different author, I kept getting confused. I felt the heroine lacked depth and so she was hard to relate to. I did not understand how it when her relationship with Vincent became more than a fling.

Safe book.
Malinda
3-3.5 stars

This was a good story. I liked Kim and Vince and the story was enjoyable overall but there were a few times I had trouble feeling completely sucked in to the story. I will say I almost gave it 4 stars but for the most part it felt like more of a 3 star read and I just couldn't go 4 stars for the overall rating.

Kim is a photographer that comes to Fortuity to take promotional photos of construction of a casino that's being put up in town. Her mother died when she was young and her fathe
Vallsykes
Aug 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: need-to-review
“Hold on tight, now. Don’t be shy.”
Kim Paget rolls into the small western town of Fortuity, Nevada, and she’s got her camera and her determination. Her camera turns out to be more useful than she anticipates, and her determination to get control of her life(live a little) puts her into contact with Vince Grossier, a man with a quicksilver smile and a quicker charisma.
Her gaze had moved to his mouth, and he dropped his own to her lap, smiling. “Got an oral fixation.”
Vince is first presented as
Karen111
Jul 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: mc-bikers
Cara McKenna is one of my all-time favourite authors, with 5 star gems such as Unbound, Willing Victim, Hard Time and After Hours. But this first book in the Desert Dog series was a bit of a let down for me.

This book is about Kim and Vince, and is set in a desert town called Fortuity. Kim is a freelance photographer, and is hired to take photos of the area for the developers of a new casino in town. Vince is an all round bad-ass, and along with most of the town's residents, doesn't want the casi
Amanda
I just couldnt connect with the characters and it was a bit boring. A disappointment from McKenna. I probably wont be finishing this one
MandaLee
Dec 31, 2014 rated it liked it
I liked it. But it's Cara McKenna and I was expecting to LOVE it.

I will be reading more. Could of just been me the day I read it.
  • Vipers Run (Skulls Creek, #1)
  • Riding Dirty (Dirty Eleven #1)
  • King (Satan's Assassins MC, #1)
  • All the Sky (Signal Bend, #5)
  • Club Justice (Trinity Falls, #1)
  • Laugh (Burnside, #2)
  • Way Down Deep
  • Serving Pleasure (Pleasure Series, #2)
  • For Your Sake (Mountain Skulls MC, #1)
  • Jaded (Walkers Ford, #2)
  • Deeper Than Need (Secrets & Shadows, #1)
  • A Lil' Less Broken (The Kingsmen MC, #1)
  • Into the Shadows (The Associates, #3)
  • A Family Man (The Freaks MC, #1)
  • Ride To Temptation (The Rough Riders, #1)
  • Take Me Down (Riggs Brothers, #2)
  • Death Row
Since she began writing in 2008, Cara McKenna has published nearly forty romances and erotic novels with a variety of publishers, sometimes under the pen names Meg Maguire and C.M. McKenna. Her stories have been acclaimed for their smart, modern voice and defiance of convention. She was a 2015 RITA Award finalist, a 2014 RT Reviewers’ Choice Award winner, a 2012 and 2011 RT Reviewers’ Choice Award ...more

Desert Dogs (4 books)
  • Give It All (Desert Dogs, #2)
  • Burn It Up (Desert Dogs, #3)
  • Ride It Out (Desert Dogs, #4)
“Casey tucked the barrel at the small of his back and arranged his shirt.
Vince shook his head. “You gotta get a holster. That is so fucking ghetto.”
“No way—I like how it feels back there.” Casey grabbed his jacket and followed Vince outside. “Wait. That came out wrong.”
5 likes
“Goddamn women had no clue what it did to a man, the way they looked sipping liquor, or sucking a long pull off a bottle. Or maybe they did. Maybe this one could guess exactly how suffocating Vince’s jeans were suddenly feeling.” 2 likes