Start by marking “Capricious” as Want to Read:

(Back to Bad #1)

*This is a short story*

Lacey Caldez is in a bind.

Her bills aren't paid, her mother is broken, and they're about to lose their house. Realizing she's low on options, she buries her pride and approaches the last person she ever wanted to owe a favor to.

Published January 14th 2014 by Empty Pavements Press

To ask other readers questions about Capricious, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Capricious

Start your review of Capricious
Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie
Capricious is a short story.

This is my face after reading Capricious:

After reading the blurb, I new I had to read this book, I didn't care how short it would be!!!

Karen
Aug 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: five-star-reads
This book threw me for a loop. It was very short but it sure packed quite a punch. I loved every second of it!!

Lacey Caldez is in a bind.

Robbie Reynolds is brutal, demanding, and one hell of a mobster. He's also her ex. But despite his character flaws, he offers her a chance to avoid financial
❃**✿【Yasmine】✿**❃
*********Free on Amazon*********

3.5 STARS

Capricious is an extremely short read, hence my rating, it literally took me 15 minutes to read, maybe not even that, and it's hard to judge how good it is when it's so short.

It kicks of with Lacey & her Mum having money troubles, they owe a ton of money. Lacey works multiple jobs, including being a stripper, when her ex walks into the strip club, we discover she used to get up to very bad things with him, and he is also the guy she owes all the money
DKristin
Jan 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-a-copy
I really like Jade Eby thus far. This was another short one. Hopefully, I still like her as much when I read a full length novel. I really like her characters and the way that she develops and tells a story. I'm not saying that she is re-inventing the wheel or anything but it's quality work. I liked that the heroine in this was super strong and while I was able to guess what was going to happen ultimately after the twist, it was still surprising. I won't say anything else since it is a short ...more
Pam
3 dark twisted stars
"I don't know why I wanted to play good for so long when being bad feels so much better."

Capricious was a short dark twisted story of a girl who tried to be good but was better at being bad. It had a total WTF ending that had my jaw dropping, but at least ended. This isn't a sugar coated love story, actually there is no love at all, just survival and instinct, leaving the strongest to survive. An interesting quick read when you want something on the darker side.

Jennifer Kyle
2.75 ~ 3 Stars

A very short read about a stripper working two jobs to make money for her mother and herself, when her old boyfriend coerces her into being a part of a bank robbery.

The story has a twist which sadly I saw coming a mile away and since the story was very short, I really can't say much else other than it was an okay read.

description

Nevertheless, if your looking for a super short read this maybe for you.

Gitte TotallyBookedBlog
Jan 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Reviewed on: http://wp.me/p2WbFf-3OX

Gitte:
Jenny - TotallybookedBlog
description

Gitte: Well this was another very short but high impact story from Jade Eby, wasn’t it Jenny?! It really astounds me just how much emotion and character connection she can achieve in such few words. Did I wish it was longer, absolutely, because the writing and the depth is flawless so would love a full story from this Author. I ended up feeling kind of satisfied but I wanted more, the ending was a tad abrupt albeit powerful. I thought our heroine had real strength and conviction whilst
Emily Hemmer
Jan 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I did not see this short story coming, but it grabbed hold and kept me glued to the page for every delicious word. The story is fully realized and well plotted. The characters have depth and their motivations are ubiquitous. Every word, every sentence pulls back a new layer for the reader. It's not a long story so I won't go on and on about what a truly terrific piece of writing this is. I'll just say this: God damn, this girl's got skills.
Audrey Carlan
Jan 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, first and foremost I gotta say I was NOT expecting that. Probably the greatest short story I've ever read. You know how some people say big things come in small packages? Capricious is a platinum diamond ring in a tiny velvet box. I hope she continues this. I'd love to read more about Lacey, her twisted mind and jacked up world. Looking forward to more from this author.
Nicole
Dec 01, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook-free

That ending! Did not expect that and honestly I loved it! It changed up what I thought was going to happen and what I assume many others have or will too.
Angie **loves angst**
Jade Eby sure knows how to keep readers on the edge in less than one hundred pages. This novella was sexy, dangerous and violent. The ending left me with my mouth open. Very shocking, I definitely want more.
Jeananna
Jan 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
after reading some of the reviews that were posted I figured I was in for a great quick read but WOW... just WOW!! This is my first read from this author... WILL NOT BE MY LAST! Jade Eby has a way with words that drug me in and held on til the end!

We begin the read thinking that Lacey is a down on your luck young woman that cannot seem to catch a break but we admire her for the love she shows her mom and her determination to improve their situation at any cost - including reaching out to someone
Rachel Solomon
Dec 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As one of Jade's critique partners, I was lucky enough to read an early version of this story. Jade Eby is a new adult writer who takes incredible risks, and they absolutely pay off. Her books are intensely emotional and full of unique characters. She's not afraid to write characters with edge, or from the perspective of a villain.

CAPRICIOUS features a clever main character with a razor-sharp voice. I don't want to spoil too much about the plot, so I'll just say that the ending gave me chills.
Clista
Jan 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Jade Eby can write. This is an incredible short story. I am blown away. I have read her other books, which I loved. This one took me by surprise. It is action packed and thrilling. I did not want to put it down. Every well written word is thought out and flows to tell us, the reader, this incredible tale. I found myself gasping at the end. POW!
This is one you will want to read.
I for one, hope there will be more to come from this story.
Sherry Sirna
Jan 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't sure if I'd like this being I don't normally read stuff like this but wow, this girl can write. And the ending... DOUBLE WOW!! The only problem I had with this and it's a biggie is... it ended! I want more. I want the story to keep going. Lacey is a great character and I think this would make an awesome series!!
Emily McGuire
Jan 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was able to beta read Capricious and was blown away from this story. I've read Eby's other works and with each story she puts out I'm continuously amazed by her. This short is drama filled and will leave you with your jaw on the floor wondering what just happened, making you read it again just to make sure you didn't miss anything. You wont be disappointed.
Daniell
Jan 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I'm not sure where to start. This book is nothing like I thought it would be! I was captivated by Lacey's story from the moment I started reading. I loved that the heroine was strong minded and street smart. No damsel in distress here... :) A great quick read.

I've also read and loved Whiskey & a Gun by Jade Eby - she's a very talented storyteller. I can't wait to see what's next!
J.A. Dennam
Jan 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, drama, thriller
My good friend, Jade, has done it again with this sexy, well written and unpredictable short story. I found it incredibly easy to get into and she has a way with descriptors that really take you there. This is not a light read by any means. If you like your characters dark, gritty, dangerous and surrounded by dirty deeds, this crime/drama/thriller is a MUST READ! Loved it!
Ginelle Blanch
Jan 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Short story but, really good! I wasn't at all expecting everything that happened. Surprised that such a short story could pull me in so far! Wish it were a full length novel, would love more of a back story to the characters and also to see what happens afterwards.
Shakira
Jan 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These 30 pages pack a mean ass punch!
Janey
Jan 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: shortie, badass
Short, tense, suspenseful, gripping, deviating, explosive story..

Mercedes
Mar 05, 2015 rated it liked it
I'm intrigued but I'm not quite sure where the story is going, if anywhere. I'll have to check out the next one.
Mx3
Dec 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short story with a surprising twist.
Megan Martin
WOWOWOWOWOWOWOW Jade Eby is such a writing beast! Review to come ASAP! <3
Terri M.

Capricious
is the latest short story by Jade Eby that was released in mid-January 2014. I had it on my list of must read books for 2014 back in early January and it did not disappoint.

In just 32 short pages, Eby paints a tragic picture of the main character. Lacey is in a tough situation and she is forced to go back to an old "friend" for help. The story takes an unexpected turn in the end that will have you screaming, but it is worth the ride.

Eby does a great job showing the desperation of the
Lauren Jones
Feb 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For starters, this story has a lot of pent up emotions and bad-ass characters. Lacey is struggling with money problems so she starts back up at the strip club for some fast and quick cash. She has a sensitive side but when the numbers don't add up leaving her with a sense of dread, she knows what she has to do. She has to go back to being bad.

The beginning of this series caught me off guard. I didn't really know what I was expecting, but I did enjoy reading it none the less. My first assumption
Natalie
Nov 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well that was unexpected ...

I have said it a few times before but I will say it again - I really love short stories. As a busy working mother finding time to read full length novels can be a chore so these quick little stories work really well for me. I picked up Capricious for free on Amazon and had a great time reading it.

Lacey, who is already working herself into the ground as a stripper and a waitress still needs more money. She is about to lose her home, her mother is emotionally unstable
Tiffany Readz
Sep 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So glad this book was recommended to me and free when I got it-very worth it. Sure it's a quick read, but man Jade Eby packs a lot in. Lacey is in trouble and needs money like right now. Her father is out of the picture and her mother isn't that much help, so it's all up to her. Already working two jobs, Lacey knows there is one way to get some quick money, but isn't sure she wants to open that can of handsome, yet deadly worms again.

Robbie is a bad dude, a bit gangster and a bit mobster,
Once upon a time there was a little girl who fell in love with books then she grew up to write her own.

Back to Bad (5 books)
  • Voracious (Back to Bad, #2)
  • Malicious (Back to Bad, #3)
  • Audacious (Back to Bad, #4)
  • Tenacious (Back to Bad, #5)