Start by marking “Mysterious Depths” as Want to Read:
Mysterious Depths

Mysterious Depths

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  17 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
When Mamuke undertakes an errand for her pregnant sister, little does she know that her journey would catapult her into a dark world full of secrecy, suspense, and adventure. As she embarks on a pilgrimage of self-discovery with far-reaching consequences, loyalties are tested to the limit.

An intriguing tale based on deep-rooted cultural mysteries, entrenched in a bygone e
Published December 17th 2013 by BookBaby

To ask other readers questions about Mysterious Depths, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mysterious Depths

Eguolo Ozomaro
Apr 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Mysterious Depths is an amazing book. superb detailed description. The author did a very good job in this book. As i moved from page to page, i slowly started relating more and more with each and every character in the book. it felt like i knew them personally and like i shared the same feelings and experience with each character. so far the best book i've read all year and worth my time and money. A definite recommendation!!!
Ihe
Aug 22, 2014 rated it liked it
I started this book a long time ago when I happened on it on social media. It impressed the hell out of me. I could tell that it was written by a determined artist. The first few chapters were available online so I indulged myself then. Mamuke drew me like a magnet. I loved how easily Mimizz opened her up to the reader in those first few chapters. So I naturally jumped at the opportunity to finish the story and share my thoughts on and impressions of it when Mimizz graciously asked me (thanks, M ...more
Beverly Diehl
There are many things to like about this debut work by a promising new author. There are interesting characters, lots of tension and suspense, a magickal element, and a happily ever after.

I received a free e-copy of this novel from the author in exchange for an honest review.

I did have some problems with the book. Firstly, I didn't know when/where I was. I got from the subtitle "An African Adventure" that it was set in Africa, but Africa's a big place. Time: from the beginning, when rain is drum
Joseph Ferguson
Dec 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Set in a mystical time and place in Africa, this surreal fantasy follows the trials and tribulations of Mamuke, an innocent girl whose errand for her pregnant sister Sisim, turns into a quest involving magic, incantations, human sacrifice, love at first sight, and war.
Agwarota employs a variety of fairy-tale elements in her first novel including extensive use of magic numbers - particularly three, the overcoming of trials, self-discovery, reuniting with lost parents, and startling revelations.
Jeannie Zelos
Mar 16, 2014 rated it liked it

Mysterious Depths, Mimizz Efemena Agwarota
Review from Jeannie Zelos Book reviews.
This is way off my usual comfort zone but its good to stretch reading into something different and this reminded me of the books I loved as a child, about the mysteries of life in other countries, the spiritual sides, and the cultural traditions.
Though I enjoyed this novel and it started well, leaving me wanting to know what was going to happen next, I did feel it became very long and drawn out as it went on. The
Billy Buttons
Jun 04, 2015 rated it liked it
This book was recently entered in The Wishing Shelf Book Awards. This is what our readers thought:

Star Rating: 3 stars
Number of Readers: 18

Readers’ Comments
‘This was a rather odd book but I enjoyed it anyway. The cover is cool and I enjoyed learning about African culture. The adventure is pretty exciting and often a bit bloody too. Mamuke is a strong character to follow.’ Girl, aged 14
‘I liked studying myths and legends so this book was perfect for me. The African folklore was really interesting
Trevor Coote
Mar 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Young Mamuke is sent by her beloved sister Sisim to search for her missing husband and the father of her unborn child, Otobo. What follows is a curious, Alice-like adventure into a nether world of spirits, oracles, vengeful gods and sacrificial rites. However, danger lurks around every corner and Mamuke’s adventures become ever more bizarre and violent, her trials more demanding and her foes more numerous and sadistic, culminating in battle scenes and confrontations that are positively Homeric. ...more
IndieHeart
Jan 26, 2014 rated it liked it
This is the story of young Mamuke and the unexpected trials she and her family must endure when she accidently offends the gods. The rituals and mythologies involved in the telling of the tale were interesting and had the ring of authenticity. Descriptions through the book helped me to feel like I was right there viewing the scenes as they happened. You really get a good sense of the richness of the traditions and culture the book draws upon.

The book will not be for everyone -- the prose is olde
Lorraine Sears
Mar 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
In the interests of openness, I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

As the star rating will tell you, I liked this story. It was filled with adventure and personal discovery, and moved at a rapid pace, constantly keeping me engaged with the plot. The main character Mamuke is put through trials and labours at the hands of humans and gods alike, and is a strong and determined character that any reader will want to root for.

At times the story is guilty of over-indulgi
Olatunji Olajide
Apr 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
A beautifully crafted story by a talented writer which mirrors the myths, cultures and intrigues that were prevalent in many parts of pre-colonial Africa. The author’s ability to craft such a complex plot and resolve the subplots adequately is quite impressive.

Also her description was very good. In fact, too good sometimes because some of the details given about some minor characters are not really necessary and sometimes you feel that there is a little bit of repetition and over-description wit
a cup of coffee and a fairytale
i received this book in exchange for an honest review.

there are times when you miss reading grandmother's stories and how they used to tough you when you were a kid. sadly novels these days are missing that. i was very happy to come across this book since it brought me back to the world of stories. i loved the concept of the book. it has everything in it. the mythological aspect, the corrupt officials and some interesting twists and turns. i wanted to finish the book as soon as possible and whe
Juliet Wilson
Jan 19, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: novels
When Mamuke undertakes an errand for her pregnant sister, little does she know that her journey would catapult her into a dark world full of secrecy, suspense and adventure. As she embarks on a pilgrimage of self-discovery with far-reaching consequences, loyalties are tested to the limit.

Set in ancient Africa, this is an intriguing adventure story, but I felt in large parts there was too much telling rather than showing and the writing felt overly flowery to me.

Sara
Apr 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book. Could not drop it once I had started. Loved the suspense! Highly recommended
Tammie