Start by marking “Cottage Witchery: Natural Magick for Hearth and Home” as Want to Read:
Cottage Witchery: Natural Magick for Hearth and Home

Cottage Witchery: Natural Magick for Hearth and Home

Ellen Dugan, the author of "Garden Witchery, " is the ideal guide to show us how to bring the beauty of nature and its magickal energies indoors. Using common household and outdoor items-such as herbs, spices, dried flowers, plants, stones, and candles-she offers a down-to-earth approach to creating an enchanted home.
From specialized spells and charms to kitchen conjuring
Published April 1st 2012 by Llewellyn Publications (first published March 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Cottage Witchery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cottage Witchery

Start your review of Cottage Witchery: Natural Magick for Hearth and Home
Juli Anna
Oct 17, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirit
Meh. There's nothing in here that you couldn't gather from Scott Cunningham's The Magical Household: Spells & Rituals for the Home. Dugan's authorial voice is cute, but a little too gimmicky at times for me. The worst part, though, were the rhyming charms. Ugh! As a poet, reading cheesy little rhymes that pay no attention to meter and place grammatically incorrect "thees" and "thous" in close proximity with worlds like "vibes" just smooshes my soul a little bit. ATTENTION ALL PAGANS: if you are ...more
Brad
Jul 29, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am an advanced practitioner and even I enjoyed this book. It proves that no matter how advanced you are, there is really no need to over complicate manners. This book is full of little nuances, tid bits of info, and the authors personal experiences that the advanced witch can learn from, and a new witch will find invaluable.

For the beginner and intermediate witch this is a must have manual for the magickal home.

For the advanced witch this is a guidebook worth having as a reference in ones lib
Surrey Pagans
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ellen Dugan is one of my favourite Pagan authors. Her writing is warm, informative, and simplistic without pretentiousness. While it may be somewhat basic for an advanced practitioner, I enjoyed reading it for all the ideas Dugan gives to "witchify" one's home. Book includes some spells and blessings to create a magical home. I would definitely recommend this book for anyone who has an interest in cottage witchery.
Corina
Jun 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: witches, kitchen witches, cottage witches
I quite enjoyed this book. Very informative, good clear instructions and the author doesn't try to pump herself up to "superwitch" status. A down to earth book, for witches interested in cottage witchery.
I find Ellen Dugan's writing to be straightforward and down-to-earth, both good qualities in someone who writes about garden and cottage magic. Dugan talks about how her own spiritual practices come from a place of deep groundedness and joy, with a side helping of humor thrown in for flavor. Beyond the style of her writing, I find her sample rituals to be practical, if not entirely in my style - I don't speak so much when I do ritual - and she advocates rhyme as a spell-casting tool. Still, I am ...more
William
Apr 30, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty much devoid of any usable content.

Disappointing that the author could not do more than this with interesting subjects.
Patti
Jan 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spiritual
love the developed ideas that I have just sensed
Leannear24
Jun 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wicca
i loved this book it was full of interesting ideas, spells and even some funny stories
i would recomend this book
Kim
Apr 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I liked this book. I liked it's simplicity. I did occasionally find it a little too simple but, I much prefer less ritual than more.
Kim Cash
Jul 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sensible, easy magic for everyday living.
Connie
Dec 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is pretty cool! It has some spells to cast, but mostly story form for how you can keep your home in tune with you through use of handy herbs, spices and things already in your home.
Enjoy!
Lillian
Sep 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I quite liked this book. It was very helpful and informative. I feel like I learned a lot.
Nora Peevy
Dec 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Cottage Witchery by Ellen Dugan is a nonfiction book about hedgewitchery, which I recently learned is a term for a witch who uses herbs and plants. They're a green witch. This "how-to" book is entertaining, informative, and not at all stuffy. I hate formal Wiccan books that make me snore. Ellen has personality and she's a no-nonsense witch who loves to share her knowledge in an easy to read format. I recommend this book for anyone as an introduction to hedgewitchery.
Penelope
Aug 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pagan-books
I love Ellen Dugan as an author and this book doesn not disappoint. This is a perfect introduction for those interested in Hearth Witchery. I especially loved the sections on Feng Shui and bringing the elements into the home. A very fun read, too.
Patricia
May 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
A look at simple witchcraft. This book covers herb cunning, foraging for herbs, gardening, and herbal magicks.
BorealWanderer
I wanted to like this book but I found it was very similar in information to her other books.
K.S. Thompson
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great title from Ellen Dugan. I not only enjoy the content but the anecdotes that she includes. Stories from her own journey, told with her special brand of sassy humor.

This book includes great info on Hex signs, creating sacred spaces both indoors and out, candle/color magic, spice rack sorcery, simple spells and solutions for creating a warm and welcoming magical home.

I have read this book a few times and referred to it often. But as the years went on, I found I outgrew the material,
Carly O'Connell
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A charming book and mildly helpful resource. I found the list of kitchen spice magical uses and the short introduction to tea leaf reading very useful. Although many of the specific rituals didn't call to me, this book did inspire me to be more mindful of my living space, and to personalize it and infuse it with magic and positive energy.
I like the little quotes and illustrations peppered throughout the book.
I was not a fan of the author's awkward rhymes, and often skimmed over them. This book
Kristi
Aug 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As someone relatively new to looking into earth-centered spirituality practices, I really enjoyed this book. I’ve always been tightly connected to nature and had easy access to it until three years ago. I’ve struggled since moving to a larger metropolitan area. This book boosted my already strong environmental DIY leanings and sparked many ideas for bringing more natural energy into my apartment on a busy intersection.
Alyssa W
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Every so often I like to pick up new age books from the library and see if I can learn a trick or two. I liked Dugan's narrative voice and she is clearly experienced. The downside was that there wasn't much in this book that I haven't read elsewhere. The spells are basically useless since the meter is so off that they just don't have any of the weight that I'd like. This book might be better for a beginner, but it didn't give me much value.
Heka
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up after reading Garden Witchery because I loved it so much! Like other books by Ellen Dugan, this one was filled filled with practical prayers and crafts and offered an almost idyllic Pagan lifestyle. This book was one of my favorites for a few years.
Xandria
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one of the very first Witchy books I ever read. I devoured it. There was so much information that was easy for me to understand and I absolutely loved it! I keep going back to this book for several reasons. I have it in paper form and Kindle. A must have for the library! Thanks Ellen!
Rebekka
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm really excited to use some of these worksheets! I'm definitely 100% kitchen witch, so I haven't bothered with remembering magickal correspondences for herbs and such. This should help! Simple spells too that I look forward to playing around with.
Lavender Moon
Nothing terribly interesting in this one. Essentially home magick, it has a few ideas for making your place a little witchier and has some ok spells for the same thing. Beginners who are setting up a new home would probably enjoy this a lot.
Readgoat
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
well written
Diana
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Liked it, but not in a couldn’t put it down sort of way.
Cheryl
Jul 12, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy read.
Good for beginners.
G Leigh
Mar 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: folk lore aficionados
Recommended to G by: book store owner
I like this book I really do.
But...I have to qualify that statement.

This book is not a guidelines for practicing Wicca. It is not an authoritative voice on practicing kitchen witchery or hearth magic.

That said - This is a good book, if you look at it from a folk lore point of view. Many of the practices he lists are things I remember from my childhood, growing up in the Applachians. My family has strong Germanic and Scotch-Irish roots and followed many superstitions and folk traditions from t
Conor Warren
Mar 02, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The book was riddled with inaccuracies, unsubstantiated statements, and unclear sources for associations. Ms.Dugan rarely mentions precisely where she got the particular association from and it hurts her credibility. Look no further than her section about roses and rose associations for evidence of this. Not to mention that she says Hekate is a "Crone" goddess, which couldn't be further from the mythological nature of the goddess! Last time I checked a lithe maiden was not an old woman.

I was re
Kirsten
Feb 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Conversational voice is usually better than clinical, but she gets a little... lame sometimes. A few eye-rolls here and there. I appreciated that she didn't feel the need to take us through the "history" of witchcraft, but instead just launches into the book. Lots of great crafty ideas in here for the home.

• The House Witch: Your Complete Guide to Creating a Magical Space with Rituals and Spells for Hearth and Home
  • The Witch's Book of Self-Care: Magical Ways to Pamper, Soothe, and Care for Your Body and Spirit
  • Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner
  • Everyday Witchcraft: Making Time for Spirit in a Too-Busy World
  • The Green Witch: Your Complete Guide to the Natural Magic of Herbs, Flowers, Essential Oils, and More
  • Green Witchcraft
  • Wildwood Dancing (Wildwood, #1)
  • The Element Encyclopedia of 5000 Spells: The Ultimate Reference Book for the Magical Arts
  • Of Dawn and Darkness (The Elder Empire: Sea, #2)
  • Of Darkness and Dawn (The Elder Empire: Shadow, #2)
  • The Harp of Kings (Warrior Bards, #1)
  • Trilogie van de zeven wateren
  • Magic of the Iron Pentacle: Reclaiming Sex, Pride, Self, Power & Passion
  • Outgrowing the Pain: A Book for and about Adults Abused as Children
  • Genesis Code (Genesis, #1)
  • Air Plants: Everything that you need to know about Air Plants in a single book (air plants, air plant care, terrarium, air plant book)
  • Stroke the Flame (Her Elemental Dragons, #1)
  • Rosie the Dragon and Charlie Say Good Night
Ellen Dugan, is the award winning author known as the "Garden Witch". A psychic-clairvoyant, she has been a practicing Witch for over twenty-seven years. She is a Master Gardener, and teaches classes locally and online on Witchery, psychic development, and Magick. She is the author of the 16 non fiction books published by Llewellyn Worldwide. Legacy Of Magick is her first novel.

Visit her website