Start by marking “We Don't Need Another Wave: Dispatches from the Next Generation of Feminists” as Want to Read:
We Don't Need Another Wave: Dispatches from the Next Generation of Feminists

We Don't Need Another Wave: Dispatches from the Next Generation of Feminists

We Don’t Need Another Wave is a critique of the ways in which feminism is discussed in the mainstream media. Today’s young feminists are wary of being labeled. They are media-savvy, hyper-aware of being categorized and marginalized, and are here to tell the world that feminists are feminists — diverse in age and experience — and that it’s time to drop the labels in favor o ...more
Published October 16th 2006 by Seal Press (first published September 25th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about We Don't Need Another Wave, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about We Don't Need Another Wave

Tinea
Mar 11, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommended to Tinea by: Katherine
Shelves: gender-sexuality
Hit or miss anthology about feminist activism, mostly by youth, in the early 2000s. Much of it was miss, but a few really good pieces did stand out. A remarkable amount of essays began very strongly, pushing boundaries and questioning accepted feminist thought, only to end in inconclusive whimpers. We Don't Need Another Wave, evidently, because we lack theoretical and historical coherence within individual essays, let alone a movement.

Uncertainty ran throughout. Many authors participated in huge
Lissette
Jun 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: feminism
I absolutely love the essays in this book! This was assigned as one of the three books in my Intro to WS class and I thought this was a very informative read. This touches on just about every topic you can think of when it comes to feminism, racism, classism, and just about any other -ism you can think of.
Ciara
Nov 04, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: new feminists, young feminists, intersectional feminists, all feminists
i was fairly psyched to read this book, being that i am of the generation of feminists that the book dispatches, as it were. & i recognized several contributers' names as either writers i like or people i actually know. the author even once sent me her zine for distro consideration (but i didn't pick it up--it wasn't really covering any new ground). i guess the "not covering any new ground" criticism could also apply to this book. i mean, it would be an excellent gift to a new feminist, a gr ...more
Terri
Apr 10, 2008 rated it did not like it
My first major disappointment from Seal Press. I think the editor picked the authors more for identity politics reasons than quality of writing for this anthology. Too many of these essays felt like a report for a women's studies class (ex: "I went to the March for Women's Lives and this is what happened..."). Yikes. Not to mention too many of the essays really blurred together in terms of the authors' experiences. For a book that so blatantly tries to demonstrate diversity, it sure lacked in th ...more
Liz Latty
Jan 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Holy Crap this is the best book ever. If you haven't read it yet, your life is shallow and incomplete. Buy it now and be sure to read it cover to cover and read my essay like 3 or 4 times or at least until you have committed it to memory. You'll thank me.
Cherie
Aug 24, 2007 rated it liked it
B++ While a lot of these are quite interesting, I didn't find the book life affirming or life changing in any way. Not too many new things have been said; we don't need another anthology.
Debbie
Jun 16, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: politics, feminism
Way more interesting that the average young women's feminist anthology (and there are so many). I reviewed this for Shamelss magazine.
Eli
Apr 18, 2007 added it
Recommends it for: feminists everywhere!
I have a piece in this anthology. Read it!
Shamany Wallace
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-for-school
While I appreciate the authors were quite diverse, not many of the stories really made me feel much, which considering this was a lot of personal essays, was disappointing. It also felt like a lot of them were like "I took a gender/women's studies class and became a feminist activist, and you can too!" I'm for activism, but something about it felt hollow to me. Not sure I would recommend this as a go-to feminist anthology.
Monica
Aug 17, 2018 rated it liked it
An uneven collection of essays- some are incredibly thoughtful and others feel more superficial!
Miri
Jan 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: gender-studies
It's pretty much what I've come to expect from these feminist anthologies. Some really good pieces, some not so much. Some pieces that contribute a unique perspective, some that don't. Some pieces that are very well-written, some that read like a high school assignment (not that there aren't many fantastic teenage writers). Some that explore intersections of race, class, etc., and some that are just another straight white woman's narrative about her body image problems. kat marie yoas' piece abo ...more
James
Jun 05, 2007 rated it really liked it
Melody is one of philly's finest writers. When I picked up the F-Word, I was absolutly amazed to see the famous people she managed to get interviews with. Margaret Cho, Gloria Steinem and Alix Olson are all in here, which makes this zine worth picking up. Melody is coming out with a book in November, which, based on this zine, will be a must-read. I liked the F-WORD because it focuses on positive action and the ability of young feminists everywhere to organize for issues like choice, women's lib ...more
David
I read only about half of this book, and thus can't rate the whole thing, but it has the usual strengths and weaknesses of an eclectic anthology. Lots of points of view on contentious topics, invariably resulting some interesting stuff, some banal stuff, and some weird stuff. (An early contender for the latter category is an essay that claims that "the heternormative family structure" - man, woman, kids - is "unhealthy" and a "technology of postindustrial late capitalism". An interesting reminde ...more
Jul 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Overall a wonderful anthology, which challenges the reader to expand the realm of feminism and feminist issues while simultaneously calling for less division between groups of feminists. I particularly liked that many essays gave examples of/from activist work instead of relying on theory. Like any anthology, there are a few lemons, but overall this is an excellent addition to the feminism canon.
caitlin
Fun Fact: I took a women's studies class with the editor of this anthology. I'm proud of how good her writing is, and really want to purchase her F-word zines.
Other Fun Fact: Some of the writers in this anthology represent exactly what I hate about contemporary young feminist writers (whiny; close-minded about who should be entitled to call themselves a feminist) so I am struggling to finish it.
Jenine Young
A few of the chapters made me roll my eyes, or were so far from what I know that I couldn't understand them and ended up skimming them, but overall very interesting collection of essays from various feminists.
Elyssa
Oct 06, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: feminism
I appreciated the diversity of voices in this collection of essays, but I didn't find enough of them interesting to give this book four stars. I am glad that there are books like this and that the feminist movement is being revitalized for a new generation.
Zahra AlQattan
Sep 06, 2014 rated it it was ok
Good for those who don't know where feminism stands at the moment..
Jessie
Apr 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
There are some really good essays in this book and a lot of really bad essays. All in all, I admire the objective.
Lacey
Jun 13, 2007 rated it liked it
A nice collection, aimed at younger readers... would make a good intro to feminism for teens, but is also inspiration for more seasoned feminist types.
Tania Lee
Mar 11, 2007 rated it really liked it
some of my favorites from this book:
for lovers and fighters - dean spade
a time to hole up and a time to kick ass - leah lakshmi piepzna-samarasinha
rice tight with beans - lenelle moise
Rebecca
Sep 19, 2007 rated it really liked it
Just fine. Some are even quite good.
Stephy
Apr 28, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Lesbians, young, old, in between
Recommended to Stephy by: a 19 year old lesbian in my small town
`The Newest New Wave in Lesbian activism says "We don't need no stinkin' new wave" With clarity and fun and a great seriousness that the world had best not ignore. ...more
lynze
Apr 23, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: theory
This book was mainly antecdotal, with only perspectives from the first person. I would say it is a useful supplement to more theoretical books such as Sisterhood is Powerful.
Nicole
  • Virginity or Death!: And Other Social and Political Issues of Our Time
  • Bitchfest: Ten Years of Cultural Criticism from the Pages of Bitch Magazine
  • Listen Up: Voices From the Next Feminist Generation
  • Grassroots: A Field Guide for Feminist Activism
  • It's a Jungle Out There: The Feminist Survival Guide to Politically Inhospitable Environments
  • Bitches, Bimbos, and Ballbreakers: The Guerrilla Girls' Illustrated Guide to Female Stereotypes
  • No Turning Back: The History of Feminism and the Future of Women
  • Without a Net: The Female Experience of Growing Up Working Class
  • The Fire This Time: Young Activists and the New Feminism
  • Feminism and Pop Culture
  • Colonize This!: Young Women of Color on Today's Feminism
  • Third World Women and the Politics of Feminism
  • Jane Sexes It Up: True Confessions of Feminist Desire
  • How the Pro-Choice Movement Saved America: Freedom, Politics, and the War on Sex