Start by marking “Very in Pieces” as Want to Read:
Very in Pieces

Very in Pieces

3.5  ·  Rating details ·  214 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
Very Sales-Woodruff is done being a good girl. Done being the only responsible one in a family that’s unraveling. Done being the obliging girlfriend in a relationship that’s sinking. Done saying no to what she wants—like Dominic, her rebellious classmate.

Published September 29th 2015 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about Very in Pieces, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Very in Pieces

“Nonnie always says that if everyone in the family were an artist, we’d never eat or have clean clothes. “Everyone has their role to play, Very.””

I’m a little confused by this book; I’ve finished, but I’m still not 100% sure what it was about.

Very was a girl who everyone thought of as intelligent, conservation, and dependable, she was all those things really, whether she l
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)
This review was originally posted on It Starts at Midnight
I liked Very in Pieces. I didn't completely love it, but I liked it. And I just decided that I really can't do this justice without a likes/dislikes list. So it shall be.

Things I Enjoyed:

Very. Very reminded me a lot of myself, especially at the start of the book. Very was doing all the things that she assumed she was "supposed to" do, but not really having a damn clue what she wanted. She's basically the only responsible and level he
Trisha
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: bought-kindle
"People say your choices define you. It's true, but not the way people think. Your choices don't shape you, they shape people's perception of you."

This was an odd story. It's about a family that ties a lot of hopes and dreams on Grandma. She's famous for writing some poetry and sleeping with a lot of holly wood's famous people. And she's with her family - her daughter and her grandkids and son-in-law. But the story is not told from mom or grandma POV but from the oldest granddaughter. Very.

This
Zemira (Kylo Ren fangirl) Warner
I've already expressed my interest in this book when I first read the summary and found out the blurb and the cover remind me of Golden by Jessi Kirby which is one of my favorite books. So, I wasn't going to miss the chance to read it before the release date. Thank you, Harper Teen peeps, for auto-approving me. You don't even know how grateful I am. It's no surprise you're my favorite publisher. I'm reading your books all the time.

I found the plot very interesting but I couldn't connect with any of the character,
Callie Bowen
Jun 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very is a senior in high school just trying to figure out who she is whilst dealing with a slew of family issues, boy troubles, and her future plans. Solid YA! Very much enjoyed this one. Easy read, but kept me interested.
Jess at Such a Novel Idea
Jul 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
This review originally appeared on Such a Novel Idea.

I received a copy of this book via the publisher in exchange for an honest opinion. This did not affect my review in any way.

Very in Pieces was a book I wanted to read from the moment I read the synopsis. I very much understand being the level-headed responsible person in your family. Sure, my family wasn't full of famous people, but still, we shared a connection. From the very beginning of the book, I connected with Very. Even though I am a p
Kelly Gunderman
Sep 21, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: arc, edelweiss
Check out this and other reviews on my blog, Here's to Happy Endings!

Very in Pieces is a book about…well…I honestly have no idea.

I think this book is supposed to be about a girl who feels like everything is falling apart in her life, and the problems in her family, and who can’t take any of these things anymore, and just wants to stop being this good girl who everyone has high hopes for.

It sounds pretty interesting, and while the synopsis kind of made it sound like a thousand other young adult
Maryam Dinzly
Sep 22, 2015 rated it liked it
UMM. HAHA. Hmmmm. How do I put this in a good way? Okay. *takes a deep breath* This book was.... OKAY. Like, MEH. Sigh, I really do not like writing these types of review. Okay, basically I was not impressed with this book. I'm not sure if I'm the only one, so if you feel the same way, hit me up okay? I like this book, but I was not impressed.

Reasons why I was not impressed? There was no substance in the book. I felt like there was no purpose, and each of the characters felt disconnected, especi
Lexxie (un)Conventional Bookviews
*I received a free ARC of Very in Pieces from HarperTeen via Netgalley in exchange of an honest and unbiased review*

Not sure about the stars... need to sort my thoughts and write my review, so my rating may very well change.

This and all my other reviews are originally posted on my blog (un)Conventional Bookviews
Rosemary
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
These four stars are given by my teen-aged self to a YA book that follows none of the prescriptive rules for YA fiction. That old self of mine appreciated the grief over the loss of a grandparent, and flung herself into passions that are never higher than during those years. Very, the central character, narrates the story of the many ways in which she has parented her sister and the adults in her household. Realistically, she undertakes what the grown ups have neglected; the care of home and tho ...more
Grace {Rebel Mommy Book Blog}
Review
This book. I liked it when I was reading it. The ending was kind of just ok for me. Still I liked it. Cut to a couple weeks after I read it and it has not stuck with me at all. Anyways, I figured I would go into my likes, dislikes and things I wasn't sure about.
Things I Liked
Very.Very was a character I liked a lot. She was really flawed and lost but I think she had good intentions and meant well. She was dealt a really shitty hand family wise and I am not sure realized that until we se
Sarah (A Weebish Book Blog)

This review was originally posted on One Curvy Blogger

You know those books where the blurb turns out to be more exciting than the book itself? That’s how Very in Pieces turned out for me. I was thrilled to discover the book in my mailbox. It had all the making of a thrilling romance: teenage rebellion, a delicious bad boy, and an intriguing myst
Bèbè ✦ RANT  ✦
description

I feel like this is going to be a heartbreaking novel...

Summary from Goodreads:

With her mom’s drinking, her dad’s extended absences from home, and her younger sister, Ramona, running wild, the path Very has always seen for herself doesn’t seem
Dena
Oct 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-realistic
Very, short for Veronica, has trouble connecting to her artistic family. Her father, a music professor, has checked out; her mother, an artist, spends most of her time (and most of the book) laying on the couch drinking; her grandmother, a celebrated poetess, is dying; and her younger sister, who is starting her first year of high school, is a bit of a mystery.

Very is wrapped up in her grieving and can't let go of how she feels that the others in her family aren't saying goodbye properly--or at
Terri Robinette
Jun 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very is the all around good girl. She is smart, responsible, predictable and maybe a little dull. But someone has to be, right? For her family is creative and artistic. The artist, the writer, the musician... She is the glue that holds everything and everyone together. School is fine. Boyfriend is fine. Family is fine. One day, Very decides fine is not enough and the glue begins to loosen. Very finds herself at a loss. Does she pull it all back together and lose part of herself or does she let i ...more
carolina ☾
This book is very simple,nothing uncommon to the genre but it felt kind of special to me becuase it deals with things i've been through. I can realte a lot to what our main character deals with except for the romance (sorry my non-excistent romance life). I enjoyed it a lot, baisclly i eat this book. i couldn't stop reading it. i'm not satisficed with the ending, tho.
Grace
May 22, 2017 rated it liked it
...it's a good realistic, but the main character could be less dramatic. She's all about her issues and how she's holding the family together, but in reality she doesn't know her family at all and it's still falling apart.
Haley Shaffer
I like her middle grade books a lot, but this was slow. Almost abandoned halfway through. Wanted the sister to be more developed character.
Ms. Yingling
Interesting, but too young adult for my readers.
Grace {Rebel Mommy Book Blog}
May 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
I'm somewhere between 3.5 and a 4. Not sure.
Katie Hartman
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Brenda Lane
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015-releases
boring boring boooooring
Honestly there's absolutely no point to this whatsoever, every single character was insufferable and it's way too fucking long to bear.
only giving it 2 stars because because the writing was kinda mesmerizing sometimes.
Alyssa
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Heartfelt story of a girl who is unsure of what her future should be and is supposed to be while she watches her family unravel as though nothing is wrong.
Maya
Feb 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Believable and likeable characters, but plot was a little boring.
Meghan
Sep 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
RATING: 4.2 STARS

Veronica “Very” Woodruff lives in a family of artistic people. Her grandmother is a famous poet, her father a college level music professor, her mother an artist, and her younger sister is almost a mixture of the three. But Very herself is not artistic. She is the opposite. She is very literal, very put together, very sure of her future. Very has the perfect boyfriend and the perfect best friends. And all it takes is one night at her mother’s art gallery and the resident bad boy
Edie
Mar 06, 2017 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book just about as much as I thought I would. It was introspective and well written, but tended to go back and forth on some issues. When a problem arose and then fixed itself, the next chapter would likely involve that exact same problem again. While this isn't the worst, it made the whole read pretty tedious. Aside from that, there were definitely parts that I enjoyed, however, they couldn't make up for the problems. Overall, this book is pretty average.
Molly
Mar 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Huge thank you to the publisher for sending me a copy of this for review!

This book is GORGEOUS. I was initially interested in it because of the cover and because it had a strong grandmother/granddaughter relationship in it. I was also interested in the eccentric family with the normal girl holding them all together.

This is a coming of age story about a Very (full name Veronica) trapped in a world full of artists and writers and musicians. Her grandmother is a famous poet, her mother and father
Written&Read
Jan 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been so busy lately--my life, my day-to-day--that when free time rolls around, I usually elect to watch another episode of Gilmore Girls or surf the message boards on reddit, as opposed to reading. I haven't finished a book since mid-October, and my reading then was sporadic. Basically, I've been leading a bookless existence, and I forgot until yesterday how much I love them.

I spent six hours with Very in Pieces, utterly entranced by the story, the quality of writing, and the characters. T
Kaitlyn Abshire
Sep 19, 2015 rated it liked it
I received this book for free via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest and unbiased review. Thanks to the publisher and The Fantastic Flying Book Club.

Very has always been known as the smart and analytical one in her family. Her grandmother is a famous poet, her mother and sister are artists, and her father is a music professor. Very has never understood art, but she has always understood math.

Very’s grandmother, her mother’s mother, is dying from cancer. Her sister, Ramona, is going through som
Very in Pieces was not necessarily a story I was expecting. I started reading and thought it was going to be this girl who does a big transformation at the beginning of the book because she is angry at life. It’s really not that at all. It’s a great coming of age of a girl who takes a look at her life in light of going off to college and her grandmother being terminally ill.

Very is a math genius and so she sees things in a very analytical way. A square on a canvas is just a square on a canvas.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Word for Yes
  • Christmas in Paris
  • Seeing America
  • The Unquiet
  • Wind River Wrangler (Wind River Valley, #1)
  • Every Last Promise
  • Invincible (Invincible, #1)
  • What's Broken Between Us
  • Underneath Everything
  • When the Stars Align
Megan Frazer Blakemore is an author for children and young adults. She lives with her husband and children in Maine. She has worked in both school and public libraries, and is currently pursuing a doctorate in library science at Simmons SLIS.
More about Megan Frazer Blakemore

Young Adult Deals

• Beneath the Shine
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Greensleeves
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Keeping You a Secret
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Gena/Finn
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Trusting You & Other Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
  • A Totally Awkward Love Story
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
  • Time Bomb
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Kissing Max Holden
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Some Fine Day
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
  • The Odds of Loving Grover Cleveland
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Darkness Brutal (The Dark Cycle #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Poisonwell (Whispers from Mirrowen, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Chaos (Guards of the Shadowlands, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Secondborn (Secondborn, #1)
  • Hate List