Start by marking “Meet Abraham Lincoln” as Want to Read:
Meet Abraham Lincoln

Meet Abraham Lincoln (Step-up books)

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  73 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
This warmly told biography of our sixteenth president is enriched by many authentic but seldom told anecdotes and complemented by bold color illustrations that capture the spirit of Lincoln and his era.
Published January 2nd 2001 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1965)

To ask other readers questions about Meet Abraham Lincoln, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Meet Abraham Lincoln

Gregory Ash
Aug 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The first book I ever read on my own.
Dawn Laws
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
This book is about Abraham Lincoln's life from a young boy until his death.

I rated this book 5/5 because it is an easy read for young readers, packed with lots of information. It has large print and a few illustrations.
Amanda Megee
Title: Meet Abraham Lincoln
Author: Barbara Cary
Illustrator: Stephen Marchesi
Genre: Biography (3-5)
Theme(s): Abraham Lincoln, history, the Civil War, Presidents
Opening line/sentence: “Abraham Lincoln has been dead for 100 years.”
Brief Book Summary: Abraham Lincoln was born in 1809. He had a troubled childhood but later showed a strong interest in politics. He eventually was elected President of the United States on November 6th, 1860. He led the North in the Civil War and abolished slavery. He wa
May 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: american-history
I really like this book! I love how this book gives a good overview of Lincoln's life, and yet maintains an easy-to-understand language throughout. I also like that it is broken up into short chapters - most only 2 or 3 pages long (and the print is larger than average), so the story can be easily spread over a few days.

One thing I wasn't sure about was the author's use of the word "Negroes". This book was published in 1965, and while I don't want to be paranoid about being politically correct w
Will
Aug 01, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Abe worked hard. But he did not want to be a farmer. 'My father taught me to farm,' he once said. 'But he never taught me to love it.'

Abe did not like to farm. He liked to read. He began to borrow books. There were not many books in Pigeon Creek to borrow. But he borrowed all there were.

He read books at night, by the light of the fire. One book he read was about George Washington. He read how Washington had helped the United States become a new country. Washington became a great hero to Abe.

Ano
Angelia
A great little book to teach the early life of one of our most famous presidents to young children.Luckily ,although they discussed slavery,they discussed it in broad strokes so my six year old didn't ask too many questions;I am not ready to discuss this topic in detail at this age. I found it informative and easy enough to read for a young person,and I highly recommend it.
Robyn
Feb 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a 2nd grade level book, but it had some stories about President Lincoln that I hadn't read before. My 7 year old actually read it first and wanted to tell me about it so he borrowed it from his teacher. It gives a very brief and simple overview of Lincoln's childhood and some information about the Civil War. It's a simple book, but if you're interested in history or in Abraham Lincoln, it's a good read.
Barbara Ab
Sep 19, 2015 rated it liked it
This is a book for English speaking children who move up from picture books. I think it would be a good reading for pre-intermediate and intermediate English’s learners who want to have a light “brush of American History”.
Julie
May 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: civil-war
I always enjoy learning new things about Abraham Lincoln. He seems like a fella that I would enjoy hanging out with. This book is a very quick, informative read.
Deborah Harris
Jul 14, 2017
Wendy
Jan 18, 2017 added it
Shelves: 2017-books
A good intro biography of Abraham Lincoln for early elementary students.
Pammie Lavery
Jenna
rated it it was ok
Oct 21, 2008
« previous 1 3 next »

Step-up books (1 - 10 of 37 books)
  • Meet George Washington
  • Meet Christopher Columbus
  • Animals Build Amazing Homes
  • Meet Theodore Roosevelt
  • Meet Martin Luther King, Jr.
  • Animals Do The Strangest Things