Start by marking “Need” as Want to Read:
Need

Need

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  6,507 ratings  ·  1,319 reviews
alternate cover edition for ISBN 0544416694

What do you really need?

One by one, the teens in Nottawa, Wisconsin, join the newest, hottest networking site and answer one question: What do you need? A new iPhone? Backstage passes to a concert? In exchange for a seemingly minor task, the NEED site will fulfill your request. Everyone is doing it. So why shouldn’t you?

Kaylee Dun
Published November 3rd 2015 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Need, please sign up.
Kate Yes, visit your local library and check it out for free.
Cassie It's not necessarily scary, but there are violent parts in there that make you question "Why would someone donthat?" But the answer is essentially wha…moreIt's not necessarily scary, but there are violent parts in there that make you question "Why would someone donthat?" But the answer is essentially what the whole book is about, how far people are willing to go to get their need fulfilled.(less)

·  6,507 ratings  ·  1,319 reviews

Start your review of Need
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
Sometimes, there is such a thing as too many narrators. I give you the Table of Contents of this book.

The words "chilling" and "thriller" is used in the blurb to sell this book. They're misleading. This book was silly.

If anything, this book only serves to highlight how stupid teenagers are. In life, nothing comes without a price. Books like The Monkey's Paw demonstrates it perfectly well. Things that sound too good to be true probably are. Which is why it's just seriously stupid and this book ma
Faye, la Patata
Oct 09, 2015 rated it liked it
At first glance, NEED by Joelle Charbonneau sounds like the fricking bomb. Its premise speaks of the following:

1. A small town full of selfish high schoolers;
2. A social media tool that promises to fulfill your every need if you do certain conditions;
3. A heroine who has a brother who desperately needs a kidney transplant.

This was basically me:

But unfortunately, while I do agree that this was a fast-paced novel, it wasn't something that left a huge impact in me.

Let's talk about multiple, emot
Cyna
Aug 22, 2015 rated it did not like it
Need is one of those books that makes me acutely aware of the fact that I’m a very nearly thirty-year-old woman reading a book written for people half my age. This puts me in an awkward position – maybe one that I’m in more than I realize, but with Need, I really feel it – because while I may find Need dumb, illogical, patronizing, and actually kind of insulting to the demographic it’s targeted at, I have no goddamn idea how actual teenagers might react to it.

So that’s where I’m at with this rev
Aditi
Aug 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
"The single biggest existential threat that's out there, I think, is cyber."

----Michael Mullen, a retired United States Navy admiral

Joelle Charbonneau, an American author, pens her latest YA thriller, Need, that is about a bunch of high school teenagers falling prey to the world of cyber crime- a website which would fulfill their wishes if they perform the tasks against it, like fulfilling a challenge, and within no time the addictive cyber world pulled them into darkness coming out from wh
Rose
Initial reaction:From reading two books by Joelle Charbonneau, I'm wondering if she'd be better off writing comedic horror/thriller than actual suspense/thriller, because I found it difficult to take "NEED" seriously after a time. It had some decent suspenseful moments in the beginning and other parts, but mostly it was just the kind of horror you'd laugh about - for better and worse.

Full review:

Okay, full disclosure time. I wasn't a big fan of Joelle Charbonneau's "The Testing" - it started wit
Jen Ryland
This was one of those books where I read the first few chapters and was like "well, I see exactly where this is going." I mean, take a mysterious website that grants people's wishes anonymously and add in a character with a brother who needs a kidney and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what will happen.

While I was essentially right, the story did go off a lot of other directions. A lot. There were at least eight or nine POV characters, which for me is about six or seven too man
Tessa HC (onceuponabookworm)
DNF at 27%

It's too unrealistic and so many POVs makes it confusing. Really wanted to like this, but I can't wrap my head around this.

**To whomever it may concern. You know who you are. This is not a review. These are my thoughts on the part of the book that I read**
Carrie
Sep 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Kaylee Dunham only needs and wants one thing in life, for her brother to get the kidney he needs to survive. Kaylee was willing to donate herself but unfortunately she just wasn't a match so she's done everything she can to bring awareness to her brother's health problems and try to find a donor.

When her friend shows Kaylee a new social networking site aimed at the students from her high school that claims to grant users what they need Kaylee can't help but become curious. After signing up for
Irshad
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A solid 4.5 stars

NEED is a novel that is based on this new social media site entitled, NEED. It's a site that allows people to request anything that they NEED. However, access to this site is only by invitation only. Anything at all can be asked and your request will be fulfilled only if you accomplish a certain task that will be assigned by the site itself.
Doesn't this book already sound so interesting? That's exactly why I picked it up and I have no regrets in reading this at all.

NEED is a m
Stacee
Oct 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
I loved the premise of this book, but the execution fell a bit flat.

First off, there were a ton of POVs. Yes, it makes sense to show what the other kids participating in NEED were doing, but there wasn't any sort of continuity to it. And a lot of the voices sounded the same. As for the MC, I didn't really care for her, so I didn't care about her journey or what happened to her.

The bad guy reveal and explanation weren't as awesome as I was expecting. After the lengthy build up, it left a lot to
Morris
Nov 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
It takes quite a bit to scare me as far as books are concerned, but “Need” had me wishing I had left the lights on when I went to bed. It’s a solid new book from the author of the popular “Testing” series that fans of thrillers or the author will not want to miss.

The story is told through the first person with Kaylee and through the third person using various students who are members of the new social networking site “Need.” Need promises to deliver what those who make requests need (though it’s
human
Apr 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
It's a suspenseful almost-dystopia with a thrilling plot.
Nuff said.
Bee
Istyria book blog ~ B's world of enchanted books

Well, that was intense. I had a pretty good idea of what I could expect when I started this book and it delivered. It didn't blow me away, but I did like it more than I thought I would. Need is fast-paced, quite a nail-biter and I read it in one sitting, so saying I liked it would be an understatement.

The teenagers from Wisconsin's Nottawa High School are sucked into a dangerous game when a social networking site shows up that promises to grant the
Kylie
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am very glad I got this book for Literature Circles! I really enjoyed reading this book, and I could not put it down! This book is very suspenseful!
Brooke (The Cover Contessa)
I'd like to thank HMH Books for Young Readers for providing me with a copy of this book to read and give an honest review. Receiving this book for free has in no way altered my opinion or review.

When I read the blurb for this book it sounded completely intriguing. I will say I wasn't the biggest fan of this author's The Testing series. I had a lot of issues with it, including some issues with the writing. But I figured I would give this one a shot because different genres really bring out differ
Noodle .3.
Mar 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
How high am I allowed to rate books?
Can I rate this at 10?
I absolutely LOVED this book.
I don't know if it was just the overall creepiness or the suspense or how absorbing it was.
Linda (un)Conventional Bookworms
*I received a free ARC of Need from HMH Books for Young Readers via Netgalley in exchange of an honest and unbiased review*

Need is a chilling tale about how far the anonymity of the internet could go if we let it. Putting others behind wants for new and shiny things is not new, but the way this was facilitated in Need made the story quite horrifying.

Need takes social media stalking and bullying to a whole new level, and it's very hard to see who can be trusted, and who the main character should
david y biblioflick

Thanks Edelweiss for giving an e-ARC of the book.

Students (check), a "game" (check), a prize (of course, check) and dead bodies (check)... reminds me of Panic and Nerve (still haven't read NERVE). But I gotta to say this is a lot better than Panic but (view spoiler)

What do you NEED

(more like WANTS :D )

So ther
Anjie Basi
Jul 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc, 2016
Thank you Netgalley for providing me with an ARC copy of this book. This in no way affects my opinion of the book. Please be aware that there may have been changes on the final published book.

"No one gets something for nothing, we all should know better"

Need was a very interesting and different idea for a book. It had a great synopsis that pulled you right in. It was what made me want to read it. It was intriguing that there was this internet site where you put in what you needed and it would s
Josiah
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
Partly reminiscent of Robert Cormier's style and partly that of Walter Sorrells, Need is a strong second creative endeavor for Joelle Charbonneau, who burst onto the scene with her Testing trilogy a few years prior. Deadly secrets and lies are in play as a community of ordinary teens gradually springs the trap on themselves and discovers they are the real monsters from their worst nightmares. The descent begins with a new fly-by-night social network website exclusively for Nottawa High School k ...more
Jennifer Kirkwood (Levac)
Here is a story written for teens that really make the reader aware of what some people feel is a need not a want. What or how far will someone go for something they really want in their life. This new social media site has asked the teens to do some pranks but will it go further? I have been enjoying more books about social media themes.

This is a YA physiological thriller. I found the story line moves at a steady pace, the characters are developed over the whole book as we see what they would r
Jess
*I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. Thanks to Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Children's Book Group and NetGalley*

Everything changes for the teenagers at Nottawa High School when NEED appears. It's a website that claims it will give you whatever you want as long as you do something in return.
Things soon start getting out of control and students begin dying.
Who is behind NEED?
What are people willing to do to get what they want?

NEED was an enjoyable, intriguing read.
There
Ari Reavis
Aug 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
*ARC received from Netgalley, in exchange for an honest review*

3.5 Stars

A website that gives you what you 'need' in return for you doing favors or assignments for them...... What the hell were these teenagers thinking believing this site was anything but trouble? As the book states... you never get something for nothing. And so begins a story of crime, mystery, and violence. I was shocked by who was responsible for everything in the end. I felt so bad for the main character, Kaylee. She was tryi
Terri
In Notttawa, High school students receive requests to join NEED, a new social networking site. They get to ask for something they need and then they are requested to complete a task and then what they asked for is provided (not always in the way they expect). Soon all the students are participating and some are getting new iPods and other goodies. Then the tasks they are asked to do become darker and some kids are dying.

The main character, Kaylee, asks for something that is truly a need (not a w
Jette Y
This book is my new favorite book!!!!!! Kaylee Dunhamm is a 16 year old girl who is attending Nowatta High School, all of a sudden a new social media website is out and only Nowatta high school students can use it. NEED is the website, when you use NEED, you need to do a favor for NEED for example in one part of the book this guy had to deliver cookies to another girl. Kaylee figures out the NEED websites main goal, to kill the students of Nowattaa high school. Will Kaylee stop this evil website ...more
Spider the Doof Warrior
This book was interesting, it left me in suspense wanting to know what would happen next, but it also had way too many narrators. It was hard to keep track of all of them. Also, it does pay to be suspicious about some random website planning to give you things you NEED. Of course that's going to turn into doom.
★MC's Corner★
Dec 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing

CONGRATULATIONS. YOU HAVE BEEN INVITED TO NEED—THE NEWEST, INVITATION-ONLY SOCIAL MEDIA SITE FOR NOTTAWA HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS. JOIN YOUR FRIENDS IN DISCOVERING HOW MUCH BETTER LIFE CAN BE WHEN YOU ARE PRESENTED WITH AN ANONYMOUS WAY TO EXPRESS YOUR THOUGHTS AND ARE GIVEN THE TOOLS TO GET THE THINGS YOU NEED.

I mean… who did not get excited by just reading that! It was very compelling. And Joelle Charbonneau did not disappoint me! Great Job! *thumbs up*
*MC’s Corner*
Note: Spoilers.
Pili
NEED was one of those books that I requested because they sounded extremely interesting: social media and teens using it to get what they really wanted with no concern for what they have to do in exchange... Sounds really cool! It also was a Read it Now when I got it on Netgalley.

Then release date rolled over, I couldn't fit it into my schedule and fast forward till I had a conversation with a friend about it and I remembered I had the eARC somewhere in my Kindle!

NEED was a very fast read and o
Jamie Jennings
Apr 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, thriller
Put your seatbelt on tightly because Need is going to provide a wild ride. In Need, this book explores how far you would go to get something that you need.

Kaylee's been struggling. Her father left. Her brother needs a kidney and her mother is too focused on her brother. Kaylee is desperate to help her brother. Enter NEED. Need is a social media site for her school that has just popped up. You have to be invited to join. It promises to help you get what you need. Of course, nothing is free. To ge
Kristen (kaymaldo)

Need follows a really intriguing concept, but it was just an alright book. It's about high school students who join a networking site that will give you whatever you need if you do something in return. Each chapter is a new character telling the story from their POV, but there wasn't a real connection to the characters. There was a mystery too, but the twist wasn't as surprising or shocking as I hoped it would be. If you're interested in reading a book by Joelle Charbonneau, I would d
EDU 599 Teaching ...: Need by Joelle Charbonneau 3 2 May 19, 2019 02:11PM
Katie Richter patterns 1 4 Mar 02, 2019 09:05PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Need By Joelle Charbonneau - Starting September 13th 2016 13 18 Sep 21, 2016 02:07PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #3 Need by Joelle Charbonneau 1 3 Jan 06, 2016 06:31PM

• The Six (The Six, #1)
  • Wings of Fear (Nancy Drew: Files, #13)
  • High Marks for Malice (Nancy Drew Files, #32)
  • Two Points to Murder (Nancy Drew Files, #8)
  • False Moves (Nancy Drew Files, #9)
  • Trouble in Tahiti (Nancy Drew Files, #31)
  • This Side of Evil (The Nancy Drew Files, #14)
  • Buried Secrets (The Nancy Drew Files, #10)
  • Fatal Ransom (Nancy Drew: Files, #12)
  • Last Dance (Nancy Drew Files, #37)
  • Rich and Dangerous (Nancy Drew: Files, #25)
  • Danger in Disguise (The Nancy Drew Files, #33)
  • Trial by Fire (Nancy Drew Files, #15)
  • Never Say Die (Nancy Drew Files, #16)
  • Hit and Run Holiday (Nancy Drew Files, #5)
  • Bad Medicine (Nancy Drew: Files, #35)
  • Shadow of a Doubt (Nancy Drew: Files, #40)
  • The Suspect Next Door (Nancy Drew Files, #39)
I am a storyteller at heart. I have performed in a variety of operas, musical theatre and children's theatre productions across the Chicagoland area.

While I'm happy to perform for an audience, I am equally delighted to teach private voice lessons and use my experience from the stage to create compelling characters on the page. I am the author of the Rebecca Robbins mystery series (Minotaur Books)