Start by marking “Need” as Want to Read:
Need

Need

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  4,987 Ratings  ·  1,111 Reviews
alternate cover edition for ISBN 0544416694

What do you really need?

One by one, the teens in Nottawa, Wisconsin, join the newest, hottest networking site and answer one question: What do you need? A new iPhone? Backstage passes to a concert? In exchange for a seemingly minor task, the NEED site will fulfill your request. Everyone is doing it. So why shouldn’t you?

Kaylee Dun
Published November 3rd 2015 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Need, please sign up.
Kate Yes, visit your local library and check it out for free.
Cassandra It's not necessarily scary, but there are violent parts in there that make you question "Why would someone donthat?" But the answer is essentially…moreIt's not necessarily scary, but there are violent parts in there that make you question "Why would someone donthat?" But the answer is essentially what the whole book is about, how far people are willing to go to get their need fulfilled.(less)

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
Sometimes, there is such a thing as too many narrators. I give you the Table of Contents of this book.

The words "chilling" and "thriller" is used in the blurb to sell this book. They're misleading. This book was silly.

If anything, this book only serves to highlight how stupid teenagers are. In life, nothing comes without a price. Books like The Monkey's Paw demonstrates it perfectly well. Things that sound too good to be true probably are. Which is why it's just seriously stupid and this book ma
Faye, la Patata
Oct 09, 2015 rated it liked it
At first glance, NEED by Joelle Charbonneau sounds like the fricking bomb. Its premise speaks of the following:

1. A small town full of selfish high schoolers;
2. A social media tool that promises to fulfill your every need if you do certain conditions;
3. A heroine who has a brother who desperately needs a kidney transplant.

This was basically me:

But unfortunately, while I do agree that this was a fast-paced novel, it wasn't something that left a huge impact in me.

Let's talk about multiple, emot
Cyna
Aug 22, 2015 rated it did not like it
Need is one of those books that makes me acutely aware of the fact that I’m a very nearly thirty-year-old woman reading a book written for people half my age. This puts me in an awkward position – maybe one that I’m in more than I realize, but with Need, I really feel it – because while I may find Need dumb, illogical, patronizing, and actually kind of insulting to the demographic it’s targeted at, I have no goddamn idea how actual teenagers might react to it.

So that’s where I’m at with this rev
Aditi
Aug 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
"The single biggest existential threat that's out there, I think, is cyber."

----Michael Mullen, a retired United States Navy admiral

Joelle Charbonneau, an American author, pens her latest YA thriller, Need, that is about a bunch of high school teenagers falling prey to the world of cyber crime- a website which would fulfill their wishes if they perform the tasks against it, like fulfilling a challenge, and within no time the addictive cyber world pulled them into darkness coming out from wh
Rose
Initial reaction:From reading two books by Joelle Charbonneau, I'm wondering if she'd be better off writing comedic horror/thriller than actual suspense/thriller, because I found it difficult to take "NEED" seriously after a time. It had some decent suspenseful moments in the beginning and other parts, but mostly it was just the kind of horror you'd laugh about - for better and worse.

Full review:

Okay, full disclosure time. I wasn't a big fan of Joelle Charbonneau's "The Testing" - it started wit
Jen Ryland
This was one of those books where I read the first few chapters and was like "well, I see exactly where this is going." I mean, take a mysterious website that grants people's wishes anonymously and add in a character with a brother who needs a kidney and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what will happen.

While I was essentially right, the story did go off a lot of other directions. A lot. There were at least eight or nine POV characters, which for me is about six or seven too man
Marketa
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Autorka umí psát čtivě. :) Ale stejně jako u Univezity, i tady mi něco chybělo, abych se z toho posadila na zadek.
Carrie
Sep 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Kaylee Dunham only needs and wants one thing in life, for her brother to get the kidney he needs to survive. Kaylee was willing to donate herself but unfortunately she just wasn't a match so she's done everything she can to bring awareness to her brother's health problems and try to find a donor.

When her friend shows Kaylee a new social networking site aimed at the students from her high school that claims to grant users what they need Kaylee can't help but become curious. After signing up for
Irshad
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A solid 4.5 stars

NEED is a novel that is based on this new social media site entitled, NEED. It's a site that allows people to request anything that they NEED. However, access to this site is only by invitation only. Anything at all can be asked and your request will be fulfilled only if you accomplish a certain task that will be assigned by the site itself.
Doesn't this book already sound so interesting? That's exactly why I picked it up and I have no regrets in reading this at all.

NEED is a m
Femke
Jan 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'Een ingewikkeld verhaal door veel personages, maar de combinatie van een vernieuwend concept en een diepgaande boodschap maakt Nodig kwalitatief gezien een goed boek.'
Recensie: http://wp.me/p53Esr-R3

9 september 2017: Ik heb het boek inmiddels nog een keer gelezen, wat best interessant is, aangezien ik boeken bijna nooit herlees. Ik kijk er nu ook anders tegenaan, en sluit me op sommige punten niet meer helemaal aan bij wat ik in mijn recensie (zie hierboven) stel. Misschien is mijn leesblik w
Stacee
Oct 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
I loved the premise of this book, but the execution fell a bit flat.

First off, there were a ton of POVs. Yes, it makes sense to show what the other kids participating in NEED were doing, but there wasn't any sort of continuity to it. And a lot of the voices sounded the same. As for the MC, I didn't really care for her, so I didn't care about her journey or what happened to her.

The bad guy reveal and explanation weren't as awesome as I was expecting. After the lengthy build up, it left a lot to
Brittbiba
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: local-library
- No spoilers -

Het is een psychologische ya thriller die je niet los laat.

Nodig is een netwerk, enkel beschikbaar voor studenten van Wisconsinson, dat je slechts één vraag stelt: wat heb jij nodig?

Je dient een verzoek in en nodig geeft jouw een opdracht. Wanneer je deze opdracht volbrengt, willigt Nodig jouw verzoek in.

- Het psychologische aspect van de thriller sprak me enorm aan. Vooral hoe de tieners elkaar beïnvloeden (dit samen met de sociale media).

- De band tussen Kaylee en haar broertj
Morris
Nov 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
It takes quite a bit to scare me as far as books are concerned, but “Need” had me wishing I had left the lights on when I went to bed. It’s a solid new book from the author of the popular “Testing” series that fans of thrillers or the author will not want to miss.

The story is told through the first person with Kaylee and through the third person using various students who are members of the new social networking site “Need.” Need promises to deliver what those who make requests need (though it’s
Anny
Jan 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lo he terminado anoche y ha sido un libro que me ha sorprendido en muchos aspectos. Aunque la trama me recordaba mucho a Nerve (Jeanne Ryan) Deseo tomó otro camino en las primeras cincuenta páginas. Los personajes no me convencieron mucho, eso sí, pero todo lo demás me ha encantado. La trama, la tensión en las últimas 100 páginas sobre cómo se resolvería todo, el final en sí, me han sorprendido, y me ha dejado muy buen sabor de boca.
Marcia
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ondanks de vele personages die niet tot in de details worden uitgewerkt, heb ik ontzettend genoten van deze pageturner. NODIG was spannend van begin tot eind en wist me te verrassen met haar ontknoping - ik had een andere potentiële dader op het oog.
Een uitgebreide recensie volgt.
Bee {Quite the Novel Idea}
Istyria book blog ~ B's world of enchanted books

Well, that was intense. I had a pretty good idea of what I could expect when I started this book and it delivered. It didn't blow me away, but I did like it more than I thought I would. Need is fast-paced, quite a nail-biter and I read it in one sitting, so saying I liked it would be an understatement.

The teenagers from Wisconsin's Nottawa High School are sucked into a dangerous game when a social networking site shows up that promises to grant the
Christine Charliers
Zalig boek gewoon! Eén van de beste thrillers die ik tot nu toe gelezen heb. Nagelbijtende spanning. Had het juiste ritme, geen onnodige bladvulling en uitdieping (net voldoende wat nodig was voor het verhaal), was nergens voorspelbaar (tenzij je doorziet hoe het zit met die opdrachten maar dat noem ik niet voorspelbaar, eerder het doordenken van de lezer en in dit geval kun je niet anders met de opzet). Het einde was perfect, heel spannend en het zat logisch in elkaar. Ik had echt niet door wie ...more
Kylie
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am very glad I got this book for Literature Circles! I really enjoyed reading this book, and I could not put it down! This book is very suspenseful!
Brooke (The Cover Contessa)
I'd like to thank HMH Books for Young Readers for providing me with a copy of this book to read and give an honest review. Receiving this book for free has in no way altered my opinion or review.

When I read the blurb for this book it sounded completely intriguing. I will say I wasn't the biggest fan of this author's The Testing series. I had a lot of issues with it, including some issues with the writing. But I figured I would give this one a shot because different genres really bring out differ
Lexxie (un)Conventional Bookviews
*I received a free ARC of Need from HMH Books for Young Readers via Netgalley in exchange of an honest and unbiased review*

Need is a chilling tale about how far the anonymity of the internet could go if we let it. Putting others behind wants for new and shiny things is not new, but the way this was facilitated in Need made the story quite horrifying.

Need takes social media stalking and bullying to a whole new level, and it's very hard to see who can be trusted, and who the main character should
Terri
In Notttawa, High school students receive requests to join NEED, a new social networking site. They get to ask for something they need and then they are requested to complete a task and then what they asked for is provided (not always in the way they expect). Soon all the students are participating and some are getting new iPods and other goodies. Then the tasks they are asked to do become darker and some kids are dying.

The main character, Kaylee, asks for something that is truly a need (not a w
Ella
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Z konce jsem trošku zklamaná, myslím si, že to mohlo být vyřešeno lépe, ale jinak jsem velmi příjemně překvapená, docela brutální young adult thriller, který ukazuje, jak na tom je dnešní generace a co jsou lidi ochotni udělat pro něco, co chtějí
david y biblioflick

Thanks Edelweiss for giving an e-ARC of the book.

Students (check), a "game" (check), a prize (of course, check) and dead bodies (check)... reminds me of Panic and Nerve (still haven't read NERVE). But I gotta to say this is a lot better than Panic but (view spoiler)

What do you NEED

(more like WANTS :D )

So ther
Anjie (LovethyShelf)
Jul 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016, arc
Thank you Netgalley for providing me with an ARC copy of this book. This in no way affects my opinion of the book. Please be aware that there may have been changes on the final published book.

"No one gets something for nothing, we all should know better"

Need was a very interesting and different idea for a book. It had a great synopsis that pulled you right in. It was what made me want to read it. It was intriguing that there was this internet site where you put in what you needed and it would s
Josiah
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
Partly reminiscent of Robert Cormier's style and partly that of Walter Sorrells, Need is a strong second creative endeavor for Joelle Charbonneau, who burst onto the scene with her Testing trilogy a few years prior. Deadly secrets and lies are in play as a community of ordinary teens gradually springs the trap on themselves and discovers they are the real monsters from their worst nightmares. The descent begins with a new fly-by-night social network website exclusively for Nottawa High School k ...more
Jennifer Kirkwood (Levac)
Here is a story written for teens that really make the reader aware of what some people feel is a need not a want. What or how far will someone go for something they really want in their life. This new social media site has asked the teens to do some pranks but will it go further? I have been enjoying more books about social media themes.

This is a YA physiological thriller. I found the story line moves at a steady pace, the characters are developed over the whole book as we see what they would r
Jess
*I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. Thanks to Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Children's Book Group and NetGalley*

Everything changes for the teenagers at Nottawa High School when NEED appears. It's a website that claims it will give you whatever you want as long as you do something in return.
Things soon start getting out of control and students begin dying.
Who is behind NEED?
What are people willing to do to get what they want?

NEED was an enjoyable, intriguing read.
There
Ari Reavis
Aug 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
*ARC received from Netgalley, in exchange for an honest review*

3.5 Stars

A website that gives you what you 'need' in return for you doing favors or assignments for them...... What the hell were these teenagers thinking believing this site was anything but trouble? As the book states... you never get something for nothing. And so begins a story of crime, mystery, and violence. I was shocked by who was responsible for everything in the end. I felt so bad for the main character, Kaylee. She was tryi
Marky
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, favorites
Really liked it.

Mozky ovlivněné sociální sítí, to já prostě můžu. Těším se, až se s autorkou uvidím na Humbooku - mám na ni spoustu otázek. Ale ta knížka se mi líbila, fakt že jo. Mělo to úroveň děsivosti akorát pro mě a i když mi lezla na nervy hlavní romantická linka, jinak mě všechny postavy vážně zaujaly - protože byly tak skutečné! Na začátku jsem se ve všech POV moc neorientovala, ale chápu, že tam musí být, jinak by to nebylo ono...

4/5*

Jette Y
This book is my new favorite book!!!!!! Kaylee Dunhamm is a 16 year old girl who is attending Nowatta High School, all of a sudden a new social media website is out and only Nowatta high school students can use it. NEED is the website, when you use NEED, you need to do a favor for NEED for example in one part of the book this guy had to deliver cookies to another girl. Kaylee figures out the NEED websites main goal, to kill the students of Nowattaa high school. Will Kaylee stop this evil website ...more
  • Ask the Dark
  • Still Waters
  • I Am the Traitor (The Unknown Assassin, #3)
  • A Step Toward Falling
  • Don't Fail Me Now
  • If You're Lucky
  • Endangered
  • The Forgetting (The Forgetting, #1)
  • Zero Day
  • The May Queen Murders
  • Blood Orange Soda
  • dotwav
  • Never Said
I am a storyteller at heart. I have performed in a variety of operas, musical theatre and children's theatre productions across the Chicagoland area.

While I'm happy to perform for an audience, I am equally delighted to teach private voice lessons and use my experience from the stage to create compelling characters on the page. I am the author of the Rebecca Robbins mystery series (Minotaur Books)
More about Joelle Charbonneau

Young Adult Deals

• Beneath the Shine
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Greensleeves
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Keeping You a Secret
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Gena/Finn
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Trusting You & Other Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
  • A Totally Awkward Love Story
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • Just a Drop of Water
  • One Moment
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
  • Time Bomb
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Kissing Max Holden
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Summer of Jordi Perez (And the Best Burger in Los Angeles)
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Some Fine Day
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
“Maybe I don’t understand love because no one who has said they loved me has ever put me first. I’ve always wanted to be loved,” 8 likes
“No one gets something for nothing, we all should know better” 7 likes