Start by marking “Gods in Everyman” as Want to Read:
Gods in Everyman

Gods in Everyman

In this challenging and enlightening companion volume to the bestselling Goddesses in Everywoman, Jean Shinoda Bolen turns her attention to the powerful inner patterns, or archetypes, that shape men's personalities, careers, and personal relationships. Viewing these archetypes as the inner counterparts of the outer world of cultural stereotypes, she demonstrates how men an

Published January 1st 1989 by Harper Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Gods in Everyman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gods in Everyman

American Gods by Neil GaimanAre You There God? It's Me, Margaret by Judy BlumeTheir Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale HurstonThe God of Small Things by Arundhati RoyThe Kitchen God's Wife by Amy Tan
God
772 books — 117 voters
King, Warrior, Magician, Lover by Robert L. MooreThe Hero With a Thousand Faces by Joseph CampbellIron John by Robert BlyA Circle of Men by Bill KauthA Little Book on the Human Shadow by Robert Bly
A Circle of Men
111 books — 20 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Gods in Everyman
Salma
Jan 31, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Men (and the women who wanna understand them)
This is Dr. Bolen's 'sequel' to Goddesses in Everywoman. See my review on that for the premise that shapes both books. I enjoyed "Goddesses" so much that I picked this up, just for more insight into the other sex. This time, Dr. Bolen's categorization is simpler- Father and Sons. Here is- again, my brief, half in jest summarization of the modern men these archetypes represent.

Zeus- God of the Sky (Every President in the US ('cept that idiot GW))

Poseidon- God of the sea and turbulent emotion (Th
Dominic
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Gods in Everyman is Bolen's follow-up to Goddesses in Everywoman, and I will certainly get to that one this year because this book was deeply insightful. I insist that it's damn near impossible to not see parts of yourself and every man and boy in your life in the eight Greek god archetypes explored in this text. I think I ended up aligning most with Dionysus, Hephaestus and Poseidon, and it was a lot easier to see the archetypes at work than one might think.

To get the most out of her vision, it
Farhad
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
A must read in conjunction with goddesses in every woman by the same author, the two books (separated for each gender) should be read as a single volume.
easy to read and a good startup / gateway book for anyone interested in newer more gentle Jungian philosophy.
V Mignon
Surprisingly, Gods in Every Man is not a book on men. I could say the same for Goddesses in Every Woman. I believe Bolen is analyzing human archetypes, rather than gender archetypes. I have known some Athena men in my time and some Poseidon women. The myths that she analyzes apply to both men and women. The father myth is about how a patriarchy can destroy or ennoble a human. By trying to fit into the patriarchy, it can destroy the human. Buy by having the power to turn away from the patriarchy ...more
Pamela Wells
Mar 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Archetypes are a powerful tool for self-knowledge because they tap into the universal collective language we all share. Learning to become more aware of your own archetypes can help you see yourself, the bigger picture and is a good place to start creating solutions for yourself and others. This book is for men but women will benefit as well by integrating the masculine archetypes within themselves and to better understand the men in their lives. Jean Shinoda Bolen has also written a most wonder ...more
Guoda
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One more must-reads for those who are eager to find themselves and their couples in a different way, sometimes even to explain some “didferent”, “ enadequite” behaviour. And now I know: this is because of the God sitting in that man. The God who influences his thougths, behaviour, dreams, amount of words per day and the way he loves and lives overall.
Highly recommended for men, but if they are not eager to read, extremely useful women as well.
The book itself could not be structures better!
Suzie Quint
Dec 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: dnf
This was recommended to me as a book useful to writers for character building. While it refreshed a lot of what I'd forgotten about Greek mythology, it struck me a pop psychiatry and not terribly useful for my needs. Your mileage my vary.
Olga
May 18, 2009 rated it it was ok
I was hoping for the same depth of analysis of an intersection between Greek mythology and archetypal psychology in mens' lives as the "Goddesses in Everywoman" was. I was disappointed. I had a feeling that the author lost her steam as she was writing, and that she was just not as imaginative with the interpretations of the myths of the Greek gods.

I liked the book, still, and I felt that it was an important companion to the Goddesses in Everywoman. I found "the missing piece" of the puzzle -- I
Matthijs
Apr 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Interesting and entertaining extrapolation of the archetypes of the Greek gods to men. Especially Bolen's description of our patriarchy and what consequences these have for the human psyche I found very interesting. The Greek gods and the archetypes also give an interesting perspective of the relationship between father and son.

Archetypes I feel to relate to most: Poseidon and Apollo. Could spend some time on developing Hermes and Dionysus.
Matthew
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very cool book. I felt that it ran over its own course a bit too much which made it difficult to stick through all the gods. However, it makes remarkable insights into how most of us are living out or shuffling between a number of classic archetypes. Helpful to gain perspective on other males in one's life. Could have included far more information about gay men and homosexual relationships. The "everyman" of this book was a bit too "straight male husband heteronormative daddy."
Angela
May 21, 2007 rated it really liked it
Excellent read when you want to figure out your man... Learn all about mythology while you are secretly figuring out the psychological construction of your boo. Next to valuable and serious in-depth pshychology and the beautiful mythical stories of the Gods of the days of Wayback, this book might give you some clues about what to do with 'him'....
Will Bellais
Sep 11, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: graduate students
Shelves: selfhelp, psychology
Chaney, and all Napoleons, behave as a Zeus, while the men I enjoy, e.g., Tennessee Williams, are made of Poseidon's stock. And Hapheastus men are the artist and painters we admire. The rock stars are Dionysian. It feels like astrology at first, but in truth is is a deep psychological study worth the read.
Charles
Dec 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Dr. Bolen puts into words what I'm sure many men are, as am I, confronted with in a patriarchal society. The myriad paradoxes and contradictions of "being a man" are called to examination in Gods in Everyman.

I am looking forward to reading Goddesses in Everywoman and exploring even further all (our) various relationships.
Marcus Johnston
Feb 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting perspective at looking at men's characters - using gods as archetypes and recognizing elements of each in yourself. A really fascinating tool to look at yourself... or use for writing characters! There's a couple references that are dated now (it was written in 1989), but it's still worthwhile.
Lynne Griffin
Jun 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The companion to Goddesses in Everywoman, this book is wonderful too. Archetypes of Gods mixed with musings on personality make this book, and Goddesses, great resources for writers looking to deepen character development. I read them years ago and it was a pleasure to read them again.
Maranda
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The companion to the goddess book is just as readable and applicable to life! Use both books together to help understand yourself and your loved ones.
Kevin Cain
Oct 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Interesting take on a means to think of one’s self. I have always been drawn to other people’s perspectives on the spiritual, psychological, philosophical, or mystical.
The book does a fair job of expressing the concept and working through the various personality archetypes. Some of it got a bit too self-helpy for my taste.
I can see where a person not tuned into their own psyche might find this book (or the Goddess companion book) to be a revelation. To me it was fun to recognize where my person
Ola Magick
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the books that has allowed to understand men (and before when reading Le dee dentro la donna: Una nuova psicologia al femminile women and myself too) around me in a way that I never knew it was possible.
Pure perfection, must read.

Un libro che mi ha permesso di capire gli uomini (e e prima quando ho letto Le dee dentro la donna: Una nuova psicologia al femminile anche le donne e me stess) intorno a me in un modo che non credevo nemmeno fosse possibile.
Pura perfezione, assolutamente da leg
Katherine
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am amazed by how insightful the "God(desse)s in Every (Person)" books are. Dr. Bolen's descriptions of the Greek goddesses and gods as Jungian archetypes of human behavior ring so true. I recognized myself and many of the women and men I know in these archetypes. While most people are a mixture of the archetypes, each person seems to carry one or two dominant archetypes in their personality. These books help one to know how to understand the motivations of others, and oneself, and how best to ...more
Irene
Dec 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
My highlights and notes should give you a good taste of what this book offers. It is an insight into our patriarchal society from a historical, cultural and mythological perspective. I was left feeling extremely sympathetic toward those men who don't fit into the patriarchy and are rejected by it. My father was such a man, and yet to me, he was a "real" man, not the false, distant, powerful authoritarian that the patriarchy admires.
John
Jul 21, 2019 rated it liked it
My problem is that this almost feels like a Sex in the City Cosmopolitan magazine style analysis. Are you a Samantha or a Hephaestus. Yet there's no quiz to help you determine what you actually are.
Nicky Smith
Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you want a better way to understand your man, read this book. It will open your eyes to view men in a totally different light.
David Resendes
Really good psychoanalysis and Greek mythology book.
Andrea Panella
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting book to have insights of which archetypes are living within us.
Also a very useful guide to identify potential shortcomings or struggles that our personal current identity will face, and how to compensate those by developing other sides of our personality.
Jean
May 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all men and women trying to understand each other
I am enjoying reading more of Dr. Bolen's work, this time as she explores different archtypes of men. In this ambitious book, we recognize our Fathers, Husbands and sons, just as we explored women's archetypes in Goddesses in Older Woman and Goddessess in Everywomen. I have written complete studies of Goddess archetypes on Hubpages.com, which can be found with my name on the site, Jean Bakula, or if you do a Google search. You will love finding out which combination of Goddesses you are!
Chris Garin
Aug 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
'When life feels meaningless and stale, or when something feels fundamentally wrong about how you are living and what you are doing, you can help yourself by becoming aware of discrepancies between the archetypes within you and your visible roles. When you enact a role that is connected to an active archetype within you, energy is generated through the depth and meaning that the role has for you.'
Tristy
Oct 05, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scavenged, myth, deities
This is an interesting idea, but feels a bit tight and constrictive. I would have preferred an examination of the masculine in the framework of deities from a variety of cultures, not just Greek/Roman. I haven't read the companion book to this one, "Goddesses in Everywoman" (I hear it's much better).
Robert Russin
Dec 12, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: beginner students of archetypes and Jungian shit
Shelves: books-of-2007
Pretty light reading and "serious" students of archetypes will probably think it's stupid, but it'll probably be very helpful for beginners. Especially helpful for men who are looking for something that deals directly with them, since most of these books are focused more toward women.
Minette Visser
Dec 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: books-i-own
Having devoured "Goddesses in Everywomen" and attended a couple of goddess workshops, I thoroughly enjoy learning a bit more about the archetypes that shape the men in my life. Also, surprised to find that I identify with Poseidon! Grr, anggry.
Sandy
Sep 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: All
She quotes Joe Campbell, "Where is your deepest sense of harmony and bliss? Find it and follow it." That's what this marvelous book is about - finding yourself again and again as your life is revealed through myth.

• King, Warrior, Magician, Lover: Rediscovering the Archetypes of the Mature Masculine
  • Iron John: A Book About Men
  • Inner Gold: Understanding Psychological Projection
  • La danza delle grandi madri
  • Care of the Soul: A Guide for Cultivating Depth and Sacredness in Everyday Life
  • How to Find Love
  • The Dark Side of the Light Chasers: Reclaiming Your Power, Creativity, Brilliance and Dreams
  • عشق روی پیاده‌ رو
  • Swamplands of the Soul: New Life in Dismal Places (Studies in Jungian Psychology by Jungian Analysts, 73)
  • Ideias para Adiar o Fim do Mundo
  • The Ministry of Guidance Invites You to Not Stay: An American Family in Iran
  • یادداشت های امیر اسدالله علم: دوره ٧ جلدی
  • ادوار شعر فارسی از مشروطیت تا سقوط سلطنت
  • خاطرات اشرف پهلوی
Jean Shinoda Bolen, M. D. is a psychiatrist, Jungian analyst, clinical professor of psychiatry at the University of California San Francisco, a Distinguished Life Fellow of the American Psychiatric Association and recipient of the Institute for Health and Healing’s "Pioneers in Art, Science, and the Soul of Healing Award". She is a former board member of the Ms. Foundation for Women.

News & Interviews

“Bliss and joy come in moments of living our highest truth --- moments when what we do is consistent with our archetypal depths. It's when we are most authentic and trusting, and feel that whatever we are doing, which can be quite ordinary, is nonetheless sacred.” 4 likes
“Las personas y los acontecimientos activan a los dioses Una persona o acontecimiento puede activar –o, en términos junguianos, constelar–una reacción arquetípica o “típica” de un dios en particular. Por ejemplo, un hijo que llega a casa con un ojo morado, puede, sin decir palabra, provocar rencor en un padre, el vengador Poseidón que siente la necesidad inmediata de saldar cuentas con quienquiera que le haya hecho eso a su hijo. Pero el mismo ojo morado puede evocar desprecio hacia su hijo por haberse metido en una pelea con los puños, si su padre reacciona como Zeus hizo con su hijo Ares. Cuando Ares fue herido, Zeus no sólo no fue compasivo sino crítico; reprendió a su hijo por ser un quejica y aprovechó la ocasión para echarle en cara lo detestable y pendenciero que era.” 0 likes