Start by marking “Everyman's Talmud: The Major Teachings of the Rabbinic Sages” as Want to Read:
Everyman's Talmud: The Major Teachings of the Rabbinic Sages

Everyman's Talmud: The Major Teachings of the Rabbinic Sages

"To some readers of this book, the Talmud represents little more than a famous Jewish book. But people want to know about a book that, they are told, defines Judaism. Everyman's Talmud is the right place to begin not only to learn about Judaism in general but to meet the substance of the Talmud in particular . . . In time to come, Cohen's book will find its companion-thoug ...more
Published January 1st 2000 by Schocken Books Inc (first published 1931)

To ask other readers questions about Everyman's Talmud, please sign up.
JSC Shootaboot
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Nick
Sep 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: faith
A very informative book, from the introduction to the bibliography. Many of the stories from the Talmud shed light, for me, on some of Jesus' parables and on some early Christian traditions. Not to mention improving my understanding of Judaism.
Asrapila
Jan 25, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion, philosophy
از دسته کتابهایی بود که از تمام شدن آن بسیار خوشحال شدم ، این کتاب همانند سوهانی برای روح و روان انسان هایی است که از حداقل شعور و عقل برخوردارند. .
کتاب خلاصه ای از نسخه های مختلف تلمود است. حالا تلمود چیست؟ تلمود شامل اطلاعات و نظرات خاخام های یهودی از فلسفه (اگه بشه اسمش رو فلسفه گذاشت) و احکام ، نظرات و ... است.
کتاب بطور کلی به 12 فصل تقسیم شده از تعریف خدا از فصل اول شروع شده و با توصیف جهان آینده در فصل دوازده به پایان میرسد . در نگاه اول مانند تمام کتب مذهبی به نظر میرسد ولی قسمت زیادی از
Jake Berlin
many parts of this book are quite interesting, and what cohen accomplished in terms of laying out the teachings of the talmud thematically is pretty incredible in and of itself. but it's probably better as a reference -- to be perused on a particular subject, as needed -- than as a book to read straight through, particularly as large tracts of it are essentially indigestible. still, i'm glad i read it, and no doubt have a fuller sense of jewish law and beliefs.
Bob Mendelsohn
Mar 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a classic for anyone to learn about Jewish thought and the development of the categories of Jewish law. What Maimonides did with his codification, Cohen does in our days with this simplification. Very useful.
Takethat
Oct 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the most important book one can read on the apochrypha, the secrets, the redactions of the Hebrew Bible which impacts the credibility of Christianity. Here you can read hundreds of redacted Old Testament passages, removed from the written Torah by Rabbi Judah HaNazi in the 2nd century. Nazi means prince in Hebrew and the term is derived from his name because he was 'the prince' and the 'great redactor' of the Pentateuch. Removed, redacted passages reveal the censorship in-play to keep Ju ...more
Timothy
Feb 18, 2011 rated it liked it
I took an incredibly long time to read this. I guess I have a hard time maintaining interest in books that offer a distillation of the ethical teachings of religious texts, because those teachings are largely what I would have assumed them to be from the beginning. This is a very detailed and informative work, just not one that I found very engaging to read. It did pick up toward the end with the sections on folklore and magic, jurisprudence, and eschatology, which were the subjects I was most i ...more
Tia
Jul 11, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Jews who are too lazy to read the whole Talmud, over and over again
This book is kind of boring, but it does serve as a brief introduction to the Talmud. It basically addresses questions like "what is a good life," "what is the difference between men and women," "does Judaism believe in an afterlife," and "what is God," from a Talmudic perspective.

This book isn't actually the Talmud--instead, for each question, the book has selected some relevant quotation by Rabbi Yossi Ben Bladiba, etc., and compiled various viewpoints.

The book is therefore quite dry, and al
Katie Anne
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
A dense but interesting book. It helps penetrate the Talmud for the modern reader and to understand generally how the rabbis thought about a variety of things during the era of Talmud and Mishnah.

There's so much here that it will take a few re reads for me to absorb. But I look forward to returning to this (eventually)
David Rullo
May 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
A good primer on Rabbinic thought and a great intro to the Talmud and other tomes of Jewish teaching. Here's the pattern, here's the subject, here's stories supporting the thought, here are dissenters, repeat. It's not a page turner, rather an informed textbook.
Susan
Jul 27, 2008 rated it liked it
Personally I preferred God in Search of Man, but this was still very informative.
Paul
Sep 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A classic condensed version of the Talmud - Jewish discussions from throughout the ages. You have to remember that they don't teach everything in the Talmud, as it's just an accumulation of discussions that ancient Rabbis had. You will definitely enjoy this one.
Dan Charnas
Jan 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I got everything that I wanted from this book and more. I wanted to gain a better understanding of the writings of the Talmud and thus the Jewish religion and culture. I gained a great deal of respect for the "evaluation" by the sages of the way that a good life should be lived and the painstaking details that they included in their quest for humanity to behave in a manner in keeping with their perceptions of God's expectations. They were inspired.
I also came to this book with the knowledge that
David Harrison
Oct 03, 2014 rated it liked it
While I appreciate the author's efforts of condensing the Talmud into a good introductory book, the content of the book itself is rather dry and uninspiring. This is, of course, exactly what I would have expected and no fault on part of the author. The condensed ethical and moral teachings are presented, then followed by several quotations or parables (often very unimaginative or contrived) from certain Rabbis.

The nature of the teachings are for the most part as one who has any familiarity with
Greg
Mar 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: judaism
This is a useful reference for the lay person without a lot of training in Jewish law and ritual practice. It is sort of a cliff's notes version of a law code like the Mishneh Torah or the Shulchan Arukh. The index is pretty good that helps you find discussions on specific topics. It does not get into how specific sects interpret specific laws. Always consult your rabbi on specifics.
Ushan
Dec 25, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In 1931, the Talmud had not yet been translated into English. An English speaker unfamiliar with Hebrew and Aramaic could read this 400-page book, which has stories about God, morality, society, law, magic, demons, family life and so on. This book is a snapshot of a civilization no less fascinating than Jaques Gernet's Daily Life in China on the Eve of the Mongol Invasion.
Max Pappajohn
Oct 20, 2014 rated it liked it
If you are interested in Jewish ideology and/or theology then I would definitely recommend this to you. This is an abrogated version of the Talmud, but nonetheless, it is still rich with information about the whole of Jewish thought life.
Jeff
Oct 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Cohen deserves 5 stars for creating a manageable, single-volume, comprehensive distillation of the Talmud. I never would've read anything about it if not for this book.

I gives it 3 stars, though, for meager entertainment value.
Robert
May 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
I keep this as a reference book and I use it quite often. This is good stuff and some ancient wisdom.

Reviewed.
Bob Shair
Dec 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
If you want an overview of the teachings of the sages, this is the right book for you.
William Ramsey
May 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Wordy and convoluted
Deborah
Jun 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very fascinating and easy to understand.
Amy Davis
Jun 17, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: previouslyread
I enjoyed this book and thought it was helpful in fueling directed discussions.
Clint
Nov 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: religious
Clear, concise introduction to Jewish thought.
Kelly
Feb 10, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: jewish, non-fiction
I've never made it all the way through this book, but I continue to pick it up from time to time.
Craig Bolton
Everyman's Talmud: The Major Teachings of the Rabbinic Sages by Abraham Cohen (1995)
Janet Schinco
Jun 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Essential Talmud to accompany the Tanakh.
Cesar Gutierrez
  • How to Run a Traditional Jewish Household
  • Our Father Abraham: Jewish Roots of the Christian Faith
  • God in Search of Man: A Philosophy of Judaism
  • Basic Judaism
  • Jewish Literacy: The Most Important Things to Know about the Jewish Religion, Its People, and Its History
  • The Complete Artscroll Siddur
  • Tanakh: The Holy Scriptures
  • Living Judaism: The Complete Guide to Jewish Belief, Tradition, and Practice
  • Maimonides: The Life and World of One of Civilization's Greatest Minds
  • The Thirteen Petalled Rose: A Discourse on the Essence of Jewish Existence and Belief
  • Choosing a Jewish Life: A Handbook for People Converting to Judaism and for Their Family and Friends
  • The Jewish Book of Why
  • Jewish New Testament Commentary: A Companion Volume to the Jewish New Testament
  • On the Kabbalah and its Symbolism