Start by marking “The Wit and Wisdom of Abraham Lincoln: A Book of Quotations” as Want to Read:
The Wit and Wisdom of Abraham Lincoln: A Book of Quotations

The Wit and Wisdom of Abraham Lincoln: A Book of Quotations

From the most eloquent of American presidents, nearly 400 astute observations on subjects ranging from women to warfare: "Bad promises are better broken than kept"; "Marriage is neither heaven nor hell; it is simply purgatory"; "Whenever I hear anyone arguing for slavery, I feel a strong impulse to see it tried on him personally."
Paperback, Dover Thrift Editions, 96 pages
Published August 8th 2005 by Dover Publications (first published 1965)

Feb 13, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Received this a a present for Christmas from Beth. I'll bet she didn't think I'd actually read it cover to cover! Anyway, it has some humorous and thoughtful quotations - some I'd read before and others that were new - that shed light on what an exceptional president. I doubt we'll ever elect someone with as much humility, compassion, and forgiveness since, in our cynical world, those qualities make someone "weak". I'd take Lincoln's "weakness" any day over what characterizes most of our elected ...more
Lesley Looper
Jul 24, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Interesting collection of things Lincoln spoke or wrote. One thing I learned is that the Thanksgiving holiday was started when Lincoln was in office.
James
This book focuses more on the wisdom - though there's a fair amount of Lincoln's wry sense of humor, there's more that reflects his passionate hatred of slavery and his powerful sense of justice and empathy for his fellow human beings. I've always admired Abraham Lincoln, while recognizing that he was an imperfect man with some of the failings of his time and some of his own; I have always been awed by the sheer emotional strength he showed in carrying on for those four years of the Civil War be ...more
TL
Jan 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Lovely little volume, Lincoln was a complex yet simple man at the same time... If that makes sense :)

If I could go back in time and visit one person, it'd be him

This has been re-read many times and will continue to be :) (guessing on year)
Michael de Percy
Dec 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
This is the third of the Dover "Wit and Wisdom" series I have read, following on from Poor Richard (Benjamin Franklin) and Mark Twain. While the latter two were certainly witty in the humorous sense of the word, its use in relation to Lincoln is one more of quick intelligence, sans humour.

There are many familiar quotes in this book, two at least from popular culture. The first from Bob Dylan's "Talkin' World War III Blues" (p. 29):
You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the p
Carol
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Please my review on Amazon.com under C. Wong. Thank you.
JP
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great source of inspiration and topics to reflect on.
Courtnee
Sep 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
LINCOLN FOREVER
Emna
Jul 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
“A capacity and taste for reading gives access to whatever has already been discovered by others. It is the key, or one of the keys, to the already solved problems. And not only so, it gives a relish and facility for successfully pursing the yet unsolved ones”.
-Speech to the Wisconsin State Agricultural Society,
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, September 30, 1859

“..there is no reason in the world why the negro is not entitled to all the natural rights enumerated in the Declaration of Independence, the right
Chris
Feb 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
A very enjoyable little book full of Lincoln's words of wisdom.

Abraham Lincoln, famous for bringing victory to the Union in the American Civil War and abolishing slavery in the United States was a very wise, witty and noble man. The book contains extracts from his speeches, letters and conversations. It is full of wit, common sense and a desire to do the right thing by countless slaves in the southern states of America (known as the Confederate states)

Highly recommended
Karen
Jun 24, 2016 marked it as to-read
* Top 10 Greatest Leaders of All Time

The Leader: Abraham Lincoln

Sixteenth president Abraham Lincoln led the nation through the Civil War, abolished slavery, and made a top hat a wardrobe essential. Though his leadership style remains under debate – was he an exemplary leader who brought on massive social change, or was he a tyrant who brought on massive social change – The Wisdom of Abraham Lincoln provides insight. Perhaps here you’ll find your answer.
Ricky W
Jun 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Wit and Wisdom of Abraham Lincoln well is basicly lincolns view on the world and thing from his eyes and just some the things he has leraned and says. while reading this book I often thought wow I can strongly realte with him or hey I say the same thing or have to the same opinion. but I thought this was a very good book filled with knowldeg I think every one should read it very insperrational
Bart Reinalda
Full of the good stuff: brilliant remarks, unmatched eloquence, great humor and compassion, and deep wisdom. Abraham Lincoln had the rare combination of profound intelligence and a gift for rhetoric which, combined, managed to capture the imagination and hearts of millions.
Ada
Nov 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
I'm thoroughly enjoying getting to know Abraham Lincoln better by the way he approached life. The things he said to people he worked with in different situations give a real life look at his personality.
Bill
What's not to like in a collection from a master of our language and culture? The collection reflects not only Lincoln's strength of character but also his intellect. Would that our current crop of politicians had such intellect, and the humility of the self-taught individual.
Helen
Jun 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Abraham Lincoln is the greatest man of our times. Everything you read about him confirms that. He was a compassionate leader and the only president that could have taken us thru the civil war without our country being divided.
CinderBelle615
Oct 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved reading about Abe's humor and humility.
Robert Glustrom
Aug 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Good quotes but no context provided. The more you know about Lincoln the more you get out of it because you can supply your own context.
Teresa
Jan 24, 2014 added it
Shelves: never-finished
I'm actually reading the version written by James C. Hume
Humaira
Feb 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
If you take your time reading this book and Lincoln's letters and writings, you will truly see what a wonderful and intelligent man he was.
Theresa
Jan 07, 2012 rated it liked it

The Wit and Wisdom of Abraham Lincoln: A Book of Quotations (Paperback)
by Abraham Lincoln
looking at the history and the man
Naomi
Aug 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
A fine and tidy collection, sharing some of Lincoln's greatest sayings, and also some of his greatest doubts and demons.
Michael
Nov 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Very good reading of Abraham Lincoln and his contribution to American humor. I'm always amazed by Lincoln's intelligence and grasp of the circumstances that surround him.
Sal
Feb 17, 2009 added it
very insightful book on a president i knew little about
Maire
Jul 28, 2009 is currently reading it
I keep this on my desk.
Jun 01, 2014 rated it it was ok
The book a a bit dry and in my opinion does not do justice to either the wit or the wisdom of Lincoln.
Rhiannon
Jun 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
A collection of quotes, letters, speeches, etc. that show just how brilliant, complex, and funny Abraham Lincoln truly was.
Nicholas Maulucci
Jul 28, 2014 rated it liked it
good book. a lot of good, interesting information. a lot of insight into Lincoln's outlook on the civil war and a myriad of other subjects. enjoyable and easy to read.
Ksvonnegut
Jan 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
Lots of wisdom, not a lot of wit. I was looking for more of Lincoln's wonderful stories and got excerpts from his many excellent speeches. The speeches were great, just not what I was hoping for.
Kevin Keating
Apr 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tiny little book. Always get some chuckles out of old Abe.
  • Malice Toward None
  • The Library of Congress Illustrated Timeline of the Civil War
  • Lincoln's Assassins: Their Trial and Execution
  • Lincoln: A Life of Purpose and Power
  • 20,000 Quips & Quotes
  • The Greatest Presidential Stories Never Told: 100 Tales from History to Astonish, Bewilder and Stupefy (The Greatest Stories Never Told)
  • Lincoln and His Admirals
  • The Wicked Wit of Winston Churchill
  • Lincoln: An Illustrated Biography
  • War on the Waters: The Union and Confederate Navies, 1861-1865
  • Lincoln and Douglas: The Debates That Defined America
  • Lincoln Dreamt He Died: The Midnight Visions of Remarkable Americans from Colonial Times to Freud
  • Lincoln  President-Elect: Abraham Lincoln and the Great Secession Winter, 1860-1861
  • Hard Call: Great Decisions and the Extraordinary People Who Made Them
  • Lincoln and His Generals
  • Smithsonian Civil War: Inside the National Collection
  • Ships of Oak, Guns of Iron: The War of 1812 and the Forging of the American Navy
  • Moment of Battle: The Twenty Clashes That Changed the World
Abraham Lincoln was the sixteenth President of the United States, serving from March 4, 1861 until his assassination. As an outspoken opponent of the expansion of slavery in the United States, Lincoln won the Republican Party nomination in 1860 and was elected president later that year. During his term, he helped preserve the United States by leading the defeat of the secessionist Confederate Stat ...more
“You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can’t fool all of the people all of the time.” 2 likes
“When men take it in their heads today to hang gamblers or burn murderers, they should recollect that, in the confusion usually attending such transactions, they will be as likely to hang or burn someone who is neither a gambler nor a murderer as one who is; and that, acting upon the example they set, the mob of tomorrow may, and probably will, hang or burn some of them by the very same mistake. —“The Perpetuation of Our Political Institutions”: Address before the
Young Men’s Lyceum of Springfield, Illinois, January 27, 1838”
0 likes