Start by marking “Rosie Of The River” as Want to Read:
Rosie Of The River

Rosie Of The River

When Fred Carpenter suggests to his wife, Sally, that they should take a boating holiday on the Norfolk Broads, she is filled with trepidation. Nevertheless she summons her courage and they and their bull-terrier Bill set off, with Fred at the helm of Dogfish Three.

Sally's misgivings are soon justified, as a series of disasters, human, nautical and canine, threaten to ruin
Published September 3rd 2001 by Corgi (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Rosie Of The River, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rosie Of The River

Jenn Housley
Jun 19, 2008 Jenn Housley rated it liked it
very proper 'english' book.
Louise
Another brilliant Catherine Cookson book =]
Ria
Jul 03, 2016 Ria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A lovely whimsical tale set at the start of the 1950s telling the story of Sally and Fred, a married couple who after many arguments set out on a boating holiday with their dog Fred.
To their surprise they get more than they bargained for, apart from a lovely holiday they make many friends on their trip including the "snooty Mancunians" and their dog Sue, a trio of friendly young men and the eponymous Rosie of the river who change their lives for the better and becomes the daughter they never had
Penny
Aug 04, 2009 Penny rated it did not like it
When Fred Carpenter suggests to his wife, sally that they should take a boating holiday on the norfolk broads, she is filled with trepidation. Nevertheles, she summons her courage and they set off, with Fred at the helm. Sally's misgivings are soon justified, as a series of disasters threaten to ruin their holiday. Then everything changes as they encounter the remarkable fifteen year old Rosie.

didn't really capture my attention still quite a short story so fine for a fill in.
Lili
May 18, 2012 Lili rated it liked it
I read all of Catherine Cookson's books some years ago and enjoyed them immensley. I recently re-read all of them and find that on a second look I found them all so very predictable, and was rather disappointed. However I'm sure that it is my tastes that have changed not the calibre of her story telling.
Berna
Aug 07, 2011 Berna rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
The first part of the book was not very exciting- I should admit I almost decided not to read the book. When the couple met Rosie, however, it became interesting. Afterwards, it never became a page turner but at least I was interested to know what became of her and the other passengers in the voyage.
Mary
Jul 29, 2012 Mary rated it liked it

This was a very delightful story and one in which I enjoyed reading! The characters - especially Fred & Sally - were quite likable. I didn't like Rosie as much as I thought I would though. There were a couple parts of the story I thought were long and a bit draggy and sometimes the way the dialogue was written made me lose interest. This a very light hearted book.
Angie Rhodes
Feb 23, 2014 Angie Rhodes rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
I had not read a Catherine Cookson in years, and picked quite a few up,from a charity shop,for 25p each,
I really enjoyed Rosie on the River, a nice easy read,that does have a nice moral,"Never judge a book by the cover", plus it had a lovely ending, x
Sharon
Sep 27, 2012 Sharon added it
Funny, with a lovely ending, with a moral feeling - just give someone the chance to beliave in themselves and they will have the chance to change their path of life and reap rewards . A nice easy read.
Helen
Jul 28, 2014 Helen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, fiction, novel
A fun, light read that shows you can change the way you think, make life-long friends and save your marriage in just one short week if you are just thrust into an adventure of a lifetime!
Margaret
Margaret rated it did not like it
Jan 14, 2015
Amber Lynn
Amber Lynn rated it liked it
Feb 01, 2012
Debi Easthaugh
Debi Easthaugh rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2011
Rowlie
Rowlie rated it liked it
Mar 24, 2016
Valerie
Valerie rated it it was ok
Dec 14, 2014
irene stewart
irene stewart rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2016
Raniyah
Raniyah rated it it was amazing
Apr 26, 2014
Yvonne Clover-Lambert
Yvonne Clover-Lambert rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2015
Renate
Renate rated it it was ok
Apr 03, 2015
Josey
Josey rated it it was amazing
Jan 14, 2013
Margaret Ward
Margaret Ward rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2011
Crodosta
Crodosta rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2011
Heather Allen
Heather Allen rated it liked it
Apr 19, 2011
Rhiannon
Rhiannon rated it liked it
May 03, 2014
Tanita
Tanita rated it liked it
Nov 06, 2016
Pol
Pol rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2014
Simone
Simone rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2011
Gail Dorothy
Gail Dorothy rated it liked it
Nov 13, 2014
Annapoorni
Annapoorni rated it liked it
Jul 13, 2015
Linda HB
Linda HB rated it it was amazing
Sep 04, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • A Time for Us
  • In the Name of Friendship
  • Illustrated Guide to Gardening (updated w/ color)
  • Clear Waters Rising: A Mountain Walk Across Europe
  • Jumping To Conclusions
  • A Moment Like Forever
  • Warwyck's Woman
  • The Chestnut Tree
  • Witness of Gor (Gor, #26)
  • Unchained Melanie
  • Love All
  • Hudløs Himmel
  • Opening the Dragon Gate: The Making of a Modern Taoist Wizard
  • Everything and More
  • Outcast
  • The New Noah
  • Geronimo Stilton Cavemice #6: Don't Wake the Dinosaur!
  • Love in the Afternoon and Other Delights
Catherine Cookson was born in Tyne Dock, the illegitimate daughter of a poverty-stricken woman, Kate, who Catherine believed was her older sister. Catherine began work in service but eventually moved south to Hastings, where she met and married Tom Cookson, a local grammar-school master.

Although she was originally acclaimed as a regional writer - her novel The Round Tower won the Winifred Holtby
More about Catherine Cookson...