Start by marking “The Good Dad: Becoming the Father You Were Meant to Be” as Want to Read:
The Good Dad: Becoming the Father You Were Meant to Be

The Good Dad: Becoming the Father You Were Meant to Be

Its never too late to be a better father

Jim Daly, president and CEO of Focus on the Family, is an expert in fatherhoodin part because his own "fathers" failed him so badly. His biological dad was an alcoholic. His stepfather deserted him. His foster father accused Jim of trying to kill him. All were out of Jim's life by the time he turned 13.

Isnt it oddand reminiscent of
Published April 22nd 2014 by Zondervan

To ask other readers questions about The Good Dad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Good Dad

Start your review of The Good Dad: Becoming the Father You Were Meant to Be
Heather King
Jul 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I should just say this up front, Im a mom writing a review of Jim Dalys new book, The Good Dad, and I loved it. In this book he shares the wild and crazy story of Gods gracehow a guy whose dad was an alcoholic, whose step-dad walked out on the family the day of his mothers funeral, and whose foster father was insane (really) ended up becoming the president and CEO of Focus on the Family.

He speaks mostly to dads, of course, reminding them of how much their children need them. How they need to
thePromoParrot
Apr 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviews
Some years back, I read Jim Dalys book Finding Home which was neatly and wonderfully written. If I remember it right, it was published around the time he took over the reins of the organization which he is now heading. Covering a wide spectrum of insights on parenting, family and fatherhood, The Good Dad: Becoming the Father You Were Meant to Be by James Daly, the president and CEO of Focus on the Family, is a must read for every father who live on planet Earth.

As the head of a global
Stephen
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
As someone who grew up under similar circumstances (i.e. without a father), I can totally relate to what Jim Daly, President and CEO of Focus on the Family, wrote in his book. The religious overtones may turn you off, but dont let it.

Some people may also find it ironic that a guy who has had a dysfunctional childhood would go on to become president of Focus on the Family. Like Steve Jobs, Daly didnt simply connect the dots when he joined the organisation. Instead, his turbulent childhood
Bruce Nieminski
Aug 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
8/10
221 pages
Matt Castello
Mar 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Really sensational read for dads, but much applies for all parents. Last chapter had me tearing up. Definitely bookmarked a few pages with especially poignant parental reminders.
William "Spig"
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another classic fathering book from focus on the family. True mentoring gives challenges and encouragement. I got both from reading this book.
Dave  Johnson
Apr 10, 2016 rated it liked it
It's an okay book that spends many words that say very little.

Summed up, what is a good dad: a Dad who is there and invested in his kids.

This could easily just have been a short web series on a blog, and it would have been far more concise. Overall, it's a good book. It's written well enough. The topic really nails a lot of the anxiety and fears that a father might have when thinking of how to raise their kids. And there are parts of the book that are inspiring and cause me to think. The
Jimmy Reagan
Apr 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Well, who wouldnt want to be? If you are like me, you wonder often if you are a good Dad. Jim Daly, president of Focus on the Family, is one I would want to hear talk on the subject. We need all the help we can get.

Ill admit that I did not exactly expect what I read here. First, this wasnt just straight principles. It wasnt just a list of what you had better do either. It was Mr. Daly telling what he had learned from the three father figures in his lifehis real father, his stepfather, and his
Marvin
Apr 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
I picked this book up at the library, based solely on the cover photo catching my eye; a whim, really. It wasn't shelved, but was instead on a table of books, that someone or someones were trying to highlight that day, and I'm really glad they did. In the spirit of full disclosure, I feel like I should mention that I'm not a father, nor do I normally read books such as this one. However, I do have a ton of opinions and ideas on what it means to be a dad*, and a lot of this book resonated with ...more
Yoni Esterman
Jan 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
The impact of having a father in ones life is drastic. Jim Daly, CEO of Focus on the Family, has the statistics and research to prove it. Having three absentee fathers in his own life, and being a father himself, Jim felt that the issue of fatherhood needed to be addressed. More specifically, the role of father that G-d intended it to be.

In this book, Jim presents how G-d can help any man be a good dad, no matter the issues, past, or insecurities they may face. He points out that perfection is
Perry Martin
Aug 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Good Dad-Being The Father You Were Meant To Be, Writen and Read by Jim Daly, President and CEO of Focus on the Family, and Published by Zondervan on Briliance Audio.

Jim is an expert on Fatherhood. As the Leader of an Organization that was established especially to support the family only God could lift an almost parentless child to such a position.

Jim's Dad was an alcoholic who left the family when he was young, then his mother died and his step-father abandoned him and his brothers and
Juanita
Jul 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
In The Good Dad, the author, Jim Daly gives examples from his childhood on his different father figures and from his adult life as a father himself. The examples give views from a childs point of view and a fathers view. Both negative and positive aspects of being a father are evaluated and discussed. The consequences of a fathers actions or lack of actions is also examined. Biblical references are also used in showing the characteristics of a father according to God and His Word.

The Good Dad is
Daniel
Mar 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Jim Daly had 3 terrible fathers, and this book is about what he went through as a kid and what he is now trying to do as a kid. He is now the CEO of Focus of the Family, and he writes sincerely, like a friend talking to you. I like this book.
Brenten Gilbert
« previous 1 3 next »

• 10 Things Girls Need Most
  • Sexual Intelligence: What We Really Want from Sex
  • The Top Ten Things Dead People Want to Tell YOU
  • Raising Men: Lessons Navy Seals Learned from Their Training and Taught to Their Sons
  • Black Elk: The Life of an American Visionary
  • Big Nate Makes a Splash (amp! Comics for Kids)
  • Magic Medicine: A Trip Through the Intoxicating History and Modern-Day Use of Psychedelic Plants and Substances
  • The Sound of Life and Everything
  • Digital Minimalism: Choosing a Focused Life in a Noisy World
  • Flourish: A Visionary New Understanding of Happiness and Well-Being
  • Momentous Events in the Life of a Cactus
  • Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen
  • Ignite the Fire: The Secrets to Building a Successful Personal Training Career (Revised, Updated, and Expanded)
  • Perfect Health Diet: Regain Health and Lose Weight by Eating the Way You Were Meant to Eat
  • The Wisdom of Anxiety: How Worry and Intrusive Thoughts Are Gifts to Help You Heal
  • The Paleo Approach: Reverse Autoimmune Disease and Heal Your Body
  • The Deep Blue Good-By (Travis McGee, #1)
  • The Shut-In
Jim Daly (born July 22, 1961) is the head of Focus on the Family, an international Christiancommunications ministry based in Colorado Springs, Colorado. Daly is also the main host of the Focus on the Family radio program.

Daly grew up in Southern California. He was abandoned by his alcoholic father at age 5, and orphaned by his mother's death from cancer when he was 9. He was then placed in a

News & Interviews