Start by marking “The Mark of the Hummingbird (Hummingbird #1)” as Want to Read:
The Mark of the Hummingbird (Hummingbird #1)

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

The Mark of the Hummingbird

(Hummingbird #1)

4.34  ·  Rating details ·  38 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Burying the truth in the snow can’t conceal it forever.

Leona was born a survivor—one of the few sheltered in a prison that withstood the plummeting temperatures of the frozen days. Now, as the weather slowly warms, she struggles to understand a culture and society vastly different than the one created by her elders. Standing on the cusp of her seventeenth birthday, the day
Published January 13th 2014 by JGP (first published January 11th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Mark of the Hummingbird, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mark of the Hummingbird

Erin
Mar 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book through Goodreads First Reads.

What a great book, I had a hard time putting it down. I thought it was well written and I loved how everything tied together by the end of the book. I was also excited to get to one of the last pages and see that there is going to be a second book in the series. You can definitely count me as one of the readers who will be going out and buying it once it's released. I highly recommend this book.
Feb 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I entered to win this book but unfortunately did not win a copy. However, I wanted to read this book so bad that I had to buy it on my Kindle. I couldn't put this book down. It had my attention from the very beginning and loved every story line throughout the novel. I was constantly being surprised and wondering what was going to happen next. I love any book that makes me feel emotionally invested and I literally felt like I was the main character in the book. The character development was done ...more
Devin
Feb 08, 2014 rated it did not like it
Jennifer Kirkwood (Levac)
I received an e-book in exchange for an honest review.

This book is so fitting for this winter. Will the winter ever end? The book is set in "frozen" days for 17 years! I don't think I could handle that especially knowing what summer is like. Leona was born in the caves (under ground abandoned prison) she has heard the stories about life before the frozen days started and wants to explore outside the walls on her only home. This was definitely a fun storyline. The author does a fabulous job on e
Lyndsay Marie
May 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book for an honest review.

The Mark of the Hummingbird is the first novel by Jessica Gollub and I can say that for a first novel, this is a good one.

The story follows a society where a great freeze has made them go underground and start a new in an abandoned prison. I will admit that sometimes I got confused at some points in the book because it was quite confusing at times. The writing was great, I thought some parts could have been more detailed but it still hooked m
Shayna Murray
Mar 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
After four years of reading Dr. Seuss and everything Disney Princess I was pretty excited to read a book for me again.

The Mark of the Hummingbird reeled me in pretty quickly. I'm usually not a big fan of books that jump around, both in time and in story teller, those are rarely done well, but this author managed to find that sweet spot that didn't make my head spin but kept my heart racing.

I found that I didn't have to delve far into the book to start connecting with the characters and the plot
Matthew Tully
Oct 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Those who love a great open minded book.
To say I'm surprise would be the least I could do. Jessica's writing grabbed me and pulled me in from the very beginning and allowed me to picture the scenes as going through the entire book. All kinds of emotions went through me while reading, some even a little disturbing which makes it feel all the more real. Having an open mind and not really knowing what to expect, what an awesome surprise! I look very much forward to more of her books.
Ashlea
Jan 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is without a doubt one of the best books I've read in a long time. It's totally worth the read, and I will be recommending it to all of my friends! I was captivated the entire time and there were surprises around every corner. Phenomenal job, I cannot wait until the next book!
Nancy T
Jun 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! Reminded me very much of The Hunger Games in it's style of writing. I couldn't put it down!
Amanda at Brains, Books, and Brawn
Full review on my blog

I received an eBook copy of The Mark of the Hummingbird directly from the lovely Jessica Gollub herself through a twitter ‘giveaway’ of sorts! This review is based solely on my genuine feelings about the book and has no way been influenced by receiving a copy from the author.

I didn’t know a lot about this book when I entered and subsequently received a copy of it. I was excited to read it because hey, it’s a free book! Then I saw the cover and was even more intrigued. I
Charity
Oct 07, 2014 rated it did not like it
Leah
Feb 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Things I liked about the book:
- there were enough twists at the right times to keep my attention (one o'clock in the morning, just one more page turns into one more chapter)
- I liked the concept of the story, post-apocalyptic-trying-to-keep-the-race-alive
- the dual POV's provided enough background story to be able to understand why characters behaved the way they did (until they didn't)
- it's a book that can stand on its own, I don't have to wait another 6 months, a year to find out what hap
Christine Steendam
Apr 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I Could.Not.Put.This.Book.Down.

Okay, now that I've got that out of the way on to my review.

The Mark of the Hummingbird is a dystopian novel about a girl coming of age, discovering secrets and trying to survive.

Sounds like every other popular YA dystopian novel out there right now, doesn't it? But it's not! The Mark of the Hummingbird is a breath of fresh air--or maybe crisp, cool and clean air? *winter*cough*winter*. The characters are written well and each have their own distinct voice. I was d
Double Decker Books
Jun 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic read by a talented author

Author Jessica Gollub writes a story filled with such creativity and great talent that she built a world where life is cold & bitter and the characters come to life as I read each page I could picture in my mind what this world would be like.

The Mark of the Hummingbird is a novel of a young girl in a discrete society where learning how to survive is required for anyone who wishes to live. Leona was raised by her father in the caves, during the frozen days
Heather
Oct 19, 2014 rated it it was ok
2.5
This is not my usual style of book, but my book club chose it so I read it. While I found that the author was excellent at describing the cold conditions I found a lot of unanswered questions in the book, and some timeline flow issues, and on a number of times there was some name mix up with how some of the characters were referred to (a few of them have nicknames, or chose a new name for themselves).

I will say that unlike a lot of other books I have read for bookclubs I didn't have to force
Susan
Oct 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-club
I devoured this book like a ravenous wolf with a steak! It was by turns fun, scary, sexy, and sad. A perfect mix for a great read. It has an interesting premise that revolves closely around issues of fertility and a woman's value to society. As a woman who has chosen not to have children I found it quite fascinating. All of the many threads of the story come together at the end, some in surprising ways while others were a bit predictable. Once I began to see the pattern I knew who the mystery me ...more
Alisha
Feb 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I won a copy of this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

I must say I loved this book! It was well written with relatable characters and I found it difficult to put down. The ending was perfect. No major cliffhangers so while I am eagerly waiting to read the sequel the ending of this book wrapped up the story well. Definitely worth the read and I would highly recommend to fans of dystopic YA novels.
Sandra
Nov 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kobo-e-reader
I am a sucker for post-apocalyptic survivor stories and this book is exactly that. The world is frozen, not like the Disney movie, but really, really cold. A group of people have found a way to survive and thrive. I really enjoyed this story even though I would classify it as young adult and I am so not a young adult. The characters are well written, the story well thought out and the ending is satisfying. I look forward to reading the next book in this series.
Denise Berube
Oct 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dystopian
First of all I have to say I love the cover of this book not only is it gorgeous it is very intriguing, daring you to resist opening it up and start reading. The Mark of the Hummingbird is definitely a book that you do not want to put down, this is unlike any post apocalyptic book you will ever read that will keep you enthralled till the very end. Jessica Gollub spins a creative and enticing read that will have you asking for more!
Lynn
Mar 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
I obtained this book by entering the free giveaway from Goodreads. Thinking it was about hummingbirds, which I loved and feed from my backyard deck, I was surprised to find it is a science fiction, first novel by a young author. It is imaginative, captivating, and very well written. As soon. My husband wants to read it now.
Ashley Irby
Feb 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
I won this book through First Reads & was so excited! It definitely did not disappoint. Kept me hooked from the first page & kept me wondering what would happen next. Can't wait to read more from this author!
Catherine
Apr 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
I had no idea what to expect when I started reading The Mark of the Hummingbird, since this is Jessica Gollub's debut novel. It does not disappoint. I was on the edge of my seat, page after page. I look forward to her second novel.
Loni Froese
Mar 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Such a good book! I couldn't put it down!
Lacey Detka
Aug 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Really good book. Very different and original ideas and definitely kept me guessing.
Lady
Feb 09, 2014 marked it as to-read
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book through Good Reads First Reads promotion and just received it today and can not wait to start reading it!!!
Jennifer Kamphuis oram
Jul 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A great read! The depth of the characters was top notch, and kept me reading long into the night. A great story and I am anxious for the next book!
Catherine
Oct 07, 2014
Ally Camble
Jan 08, 2018
Ellen Wookey
Jun 05, 2017
  • Love Birds of Regent's Park (The Love Birds, #1)
  • Breaking Josephine
  • Stranger Things (Looniverse, #1)
  • Mary's Christmas Knight (Rougemont #1.5)
  • The Wild Swans
  • Hot Mama: 12 Secrets to a Sizzling Hot Marriage
  • Green Juicing Diet: Green Juice Detox Plan for Beginners—Includes Green Smoothies and Green Juice Recipes
  • One Week
  • Lean on Me
  • Eliza Bing Is (Not) a Big, Fat Quitter
  • The Passage, a Dance, & a Little White Dress (Enlighten, #2)
  • The Terribly Terrific Travels of Timber Timmins
  • Soulless (Soul Broker, #1)
  • Ukulele Hayley
  • Filling Up in Cumby: And Other Stories
  • Girl Wife Prisoner (Girl Wife Prisoner, #1)
  • Taking the Ice (Ice #3)
  • Kate Walden Directs: Night of the Zombie Chickens

Hummingbird (2 books)
  • The Song of the Sisters (Hummingbird #2)