Start by marking “The Spirit (Spirit Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Spirit (Spirit Trilogy, #1)

The Spirit

(Spirit Trilogy #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  337 ratings  ·  81 reviews
Carrie Reese doesn’t believe in ghosts—until she falls in love with one.

From the moment he walks through the door, a cool breeze surrounds Carrie. She knows Lucas is too good to be true...and he is. Because he’s dead.

Devastated over her parents’ divorce, 17 year-old Carrie is spending the summer with her grandparents in Villisca—the creepiest town in Iowa. Even though it m
Published April 28th 2014 by Limitless Publishing (first published April 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Spirit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Spirit

really liked it 4.00  ·

Alice
May 05, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: books-i-own
1.75 An angel? A vampire? A ghost? A demon? Something else? None of it made sense. It was... it had to be... impossible. Lucas was human. stars.
(Cos', like, Casper?)
Casper gif
Yep. I was doomed. The rinky-dink town had shut itself down. Already at nine-thirty at night, the streets were deserted. And the creep factor didn't help. The buildings, the homes, everything had an eerie feel to it. The perfect place to spend my summer vacation.

Carrie is staying in Villisca, a place full of the paranormal, well, fo
Sunniva Dee
Shelves: favorites
Finally a great love story involving a ghost. Why isn’t this done more often?

Don’t get me wrong—there are lots of great YA books out there. Tons of pure YAs, and genre mixes with paranormals, like The Spirit. But to me, this novel stands up and above most of them in so many ways. For one, I need my stories to be extremely well written. Check. Then, I need the plot to be meticulously built. Check. I want the story to be different, and ah… here comes that word I like so much again: unpredictable.
♡ Jeri's Book Attic ♡ the Romance Bibiliophile ♡

Gosh – I knew why I waited so long to start reading the Spirit Triology by D. Nichole King.

I had several reasons, one was that at first I wanted the trilogy to be complete before starting (again as mentioned before you may thank Sylvia Day for that OCD). Another reason was that as a blogger my reading schedule is always more than full. But the morst important was that I need to have the right mindset.

I promised to read it and now over the last weekend I finally did. And wow … this was just like
Dai
Oct 12, 2016 rated it liked it

Me gustó. Al principio costó mucho que me enganchara porque pensé que la historia seria de miedo, pero no. En realidad me encontré recordando a Crepúsculo a medida que leía, en ocasiones Hush Hush o incluso Obsidian... pero supongo que tiene mucho que ver el género al que pertenece.

Al final si me quedé atrapada por la historia, me llamó la atención la historia detrás de la casa Moore y toda la mezcla de criaturas sobrenaturales que existen aqui. Y claro, también esta eso de como las almas de Car
Sandra Love
Apr 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Reviewing for Hooked on books.
Ghost, demons, necromancers, and Witches Oh my.. This book had me addicted on page one. Page after page I had to know what was about to happen. The author did a great job making this intriguing, and taking paranormal to the next level.
Laura Thalassa
Jan 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Books like The Spirit are the reason that I love the paranormal genre so much. It has two star crossed lovers—and a forbidden romance—an intriguing mystery, spooky villians, and a delightfully eerie ambience.

When we meet Carrie, the main character, she’s a little emotionally bruised. Her parents are in the process of getting a divorce and she’s sent to live with her grandparents. I loved seeing her grow throughout the novel—especially at the end. I also deeply appreciated the fact that she wasn’
Debra Lavoie
Nov 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: magic, paranormal, witches
The Spirit is a wonderful paranormal love affair.

Here we have a story about a regular teenager in high school with a broken family. Carrie goes to live In Villisca Iowa with her grandparents for the summer. She finds out from a co-worker at her grandmother’s shop that there is a mystery in the small town. This mystery is anything but regular; it involves The Moore House and death, demons, ghosts and a few other supernatural entities. Carrie falls in love with Lucas and soon learns his secrets.

D.
Christy
Oct 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
A YA paranormal that doesn’t read like paranormal. Yeah let that sink in, lol. The Spirit created a world where the focus was the character storyline and not the creature storyline. I feel as this is the best way to introduce a series, with this slow build of information. I am literally jumping at the chance to read book 2 now. This author is to now on mine to be read list for any new books.
Wicked Reads Review Team
Temperance Elisabeth
Jan 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I am honored to say that I helped critique this book in its early stages. The characters are deep. The story line is captivating. The attention to detail is perfect. Page after page, I was left craving more of this wonderfully captivating tale of true love in the face of insurmountable odds. The Spirit has a balanced mix of all the right ingredients to make for a book that will steal your heart from chapter one to the very end. d. Nichole King is, in my opinion, one of those timeless writers who ...more
Heather Duff
Apr 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book should come with a warning DO NOT READ ON YOUR KINDLE IN THE DARK I knew this book was going to be a bit spooky, I mean the title gives it away but I was literally sitting reading my kindle just after midnight, I had only been reading for about ten minutes and the description of spookiness on the page made me sudden peek over the top of my kindle in case any stray ghosties came in to my bedroom.

But you will be pleased to know I finished the book during the day!, and I can now share my
Dede
Apr 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
" Years on earth were nothing but milliseconds in forever. "

Fantasy it was my fist love. So, every time, when I read fantasy, I remember why I love to read. It world is so perfect, because the limits are not that strong. We can escape in that world that brings to your mind perfect creatures.

The Spirit reminds me of that perfect world of fantasy. This book is about a girl named Carrie, who is send to there grandparents. Her mama and her father are divorce, so she is kinda feel left out and aban
Marcia
Apr 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is book 1 in the Spirit Trilogy, you definitely need to read these books in order, though the second two are not yet published at the time of this review.
From the moment that Carrie arrives in the town of Villisca for her summer “vacation”, things are odd. Unexplained cold breezes, strange men with glowing green eyes, and the Villisca Axe Murder House. Officially, Carrie is there for a break, staying with her grandparents while her mom and dad go through a break up. She has had to leave h
Neilliza Swaffar
Sep 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
**Copy received from Author, in exchange for an honest review**

☆☆☆☆ 4.5 Stars ☆☆☆☆

The Spirit was captivating, sweet and addicting. Carrie Ann’s story pulled me in quick and I couldn’t stop reading once Lucas came into the picture. They were two souls meant for each other and once their world collided, they couldn’t let go…even if they wanted to.

photo TheSpirit-Teaser.jpg

Carrie Reese has been just any 17 year old girl and a person who didn’t believe in ghost, but all that changed once she met Lucas. Lucas was perfect,
Tammy Hall
Apr 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Spirit is a unique twist on how one may perceive ghosts and the after life. Th story takes place in Villisca, Iowa the town that had one of the most horrific and gruesome killings in the early 1900's that unfortunately went unsolved. Now although this is the town the story takes place in it is not what the story surrounds itself with. No The Spirit is a little different and shows us that sometimes love can bloom in the most unexpected way. We first meet Carrie on here way to her grandparent ...more
Megan Porter
Jun 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Melyssa Winchester
Paranormal romance, there always seems to be a common theme to them lately. It's gotten so repetitive that I went ahead and wrote my own just so I could have something that stood out. When I found out about this book, read the blurbs and teasers, I just knew it was one that I had to take a chance on and I'm so glad that I did.

The Spirit is not like any supernatural or paranormal romance that I've read before. It stands out for that reason, but also for other reasons. The way that the author wri
Lorraine Sears
May 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
When her parent’s marriage hits crisis and Carrie is sent to stay with her grandparents she’s devastated to be leaving Texas, where she and her best friends were looking forward to a summer of fun.

Viscilla, Iowa is a sleepy little town with a bloody history and famed for its paranormal activity. But it holds no appeal for Carrie, who’s resigned to spending the summer working in her Grandma’s antiques shop.

However, when she arrives one evening and spots a beautiful man with mesmerising green eyes
Maggie Wadsager
Apr 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Carrie is at cusp of adulthood and is dealing with family betrayal when she is sent away for the summer. Not just anywhere, but a farm in Iowa with her grandparents. Could this be anymore tragic for a Texas city girl? Things start to look up when she meets the ever illusive and mysterious Lucas. His green eyes burn straight through her and sets her heart on fire. Something isn't quite normal about Lucas though and Carrie soon realizes how little she knows about him. When the questions are finall ...more
Books&Dreams
Apr 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
 photo bookwormsreviewicon.jpg

I gave this book 5 stars.

Carrie's life is not going the way she planned it, she has to go to live with her grandparents for the summer because things at home are falling apart. The town that her grandparents live in is creepy and weird. The town creeps her out. There is so much going on that she doesn't know about and soon finds out because of Lucas, Lucas is not what he seems, and once Carrie has fallen for him and then finds out his secret it changes her life forever! What is she going to do
Undeniably Addicted to Books
Nov 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing

Witches, demons and ghosts grace us with their presence in this small town in Iowa. Carrie is told she has to live with her Grandparents in Villisca, Iowa for the summer after her parents divorce and her Mom has a rough time with it. Carrie dreads it, but she quickly changes her mind after settling in, starting work, and meeting a few people, including Lucas.

Lucas and Carrie fall for each other almost instantly, but the evil powers that be just don't want that to happen. Carrie is propelled int
Patricia
Sep 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: teens /adults
Shelves: already-read
This book was captivating and thrilling. From the moment Carrie first arrives in Iowa and feels the cold in front of the coffee shop the author has you tucked away under your blanket. She has away of almost making you actually feel the cold breezes and the heat from the fire. You she keeps you guessing as to whether Lucas is good or bad and just who and what is he? Should Carrie stay away and keep close to Mike or is he what she thinks hmmm. I guess part of me loves the book having been raised i ...more
Hooked On Books
Apr 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing

Carrie went to Iowa to spend the summer with her grandparents. She starts to work at her grandma’s store where she meets Megan. Later in the book you find out her secret. One day Lucas walked in to the store and her life is turn a complete 360. He has secrets of hi
Apr 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a sweet love story about Carrie and Lucas.
Carrie's parents are going through a divorce that she isn't taking so well. So she gets sent to her grandparents house in the town of Villisca where a mass murder took place in a house there. Little does Carrie know that there are such things as ghosts, witches, necromancers, demons, or vampires. But when Lucas comes into her Grandmothers antique store, she has NO clue he is a ghost. And has a strong pull towards him. When they fall in love neit
Janae Mitchell
Mar 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Ghost, witches, and demons... OH MY!
I am a sucker for ghost stories, especially romantic ones and this one didn't disappoint. It starts off with us getting a peak into the life of Carrie, a normal teenage girl from a broken home, which is all too common now days. However, her life soon becomes anything but normal when she moves from Texas to Iowa to spend the summer with her grandparents, working in her grandmother's antique store.
When I first started reading this book, I was only expecting to
Sheryl
Nov 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I am giving an honest review for author d. Nichole King. This is book 1 of The Spirit Trilogy series by the author.

Carrie Reese was sent to her grand parents home because of family problems in Texas. What she thought would be a boring summer turned out to be anything but boring. She met and fell in love with Lucas but he was not what he seemed to be.

I loved the characters of Carrie and Lucas and how they interacted with the other characters. The author wrote a smooth flowing story from start to
Candace
Apr 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic read! I loved the way D. Nichole King brought real life issues and blended them with paranormal situations. I enjoyed the lead character Carrie and how she handled herself through out the story. Then of course the added bonus of Mike and Lucas. I enjoyed both of their characters and their not so subtle interest in Carrie. I highly recommend this book and can't wait for the next one.
•.¸♥¸.• Booklover59 •.¸♥¸.•
I thought this was a pretty good book for a Y/A paranormal. It had a nice love story to it. I haven't read a paranormal book like this one before. It has some different twists and views than others that I have read and brought the paranormal level to a different level. If you like paranormal books, I would recommend this one.
Krista James
Sep 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kept me interested continuously.

I really enjoyed reading this book. It's written in a way I didn't want to put it down even if I was anticipating some of the story line. very good.

Maria
Apr 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Review Under BookJunkyGirls
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Crossing Time (Saint's Grove #5)
  • Deranged Angels and Cannibal Hearts (Dead Things, #3)
  • Daisy Madigan's Paradise (Morgan Sisters, #1.5)
  • The White Queen (The Black Prince Trilogy, #2)
  • Blood Bound (Gallows, #1)
  • Ever Wrath (A Dark Faerie Tale, #4)
  • The Reaper Within
  • The Children of Lubrochius (From the Ashes of Ruin, #1)
  • Oxford Whispers (The Oxford Saga, # 1)
  • Howler's Night (Night, #3)
  • Brenna Blixen Novels Bundle: Double Clutch, Junk Miles, Slow Twitch
  • Temp: An Accidental Fairytale
  • Artie, The Good Witch
  • Welcome to the Afterlife
  • Forget You Not (Havenwood Falls #1)
  • Ghosts of Rosewood Asylum
  • Seer of Mars (Vallar, #1)
  • Lonesome Paladin (A Fistful of Daggers #1)
I'm pretty sure I drink too much Pepsi. I'm also pretty sure that somedays it's what keeps me sane. Well, Pepsi and writing, that is.

I'm a dreamer, an inspirer. I find beauty in weakness, brokenness, and heartbreak. In life, and joy, and happiness. These moments don't define us, but the choices we make in these moments do.

I write about these moments. About the choices we make and the paths we trea

Spirit Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Body (Spirit Trilogy, #2)
  • The Soul (Spirit Trilogy, #3)