Start by marking “There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Bell!” as Want to Read:
There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Bell!

There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Bell! (There Was an Old Lady)

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  906 Ratings  ·  65 Reviews
A wacky new Christmas version of the classic "There Was an Old Lady" song!

This time, the hungry old lady swallows a bell, bows, gifts, a sack, a sleigh, and some reindeer! She's about to swallow a candy cane for dessert, when she hears a jolly "Ho! Ho! Ho!" Santa Claus is waiting for a ride! Watch what happens when she whistles, with amazing results!

With rhyming text and f
Unknown Binding, 32 pages
Published January 1st 2008 by Scholastic (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Bell!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Bell!

Jon(athan) Nakapalau
Dec 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Nice book...is she related to Matter-Eater Lad from The Legion of Super-Heroes?
Paula
Jun 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Because our Christmas schedule was so off, I read some of these books when we came back. My kinders loves them.
Breanna
Oct 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
I love this book. It's a Christmas themed "there was an old lady" book. Plus, the repetitiveness of it makes it a great book for kids.
Stephanie Smoot
Feb 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The same old lady is back again swallowing varies items but with a Christmas or Holiday theme. Great rhyming book as well as sequencing book to use in literacy lessons.
Briana
Sep 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This series of books are so zany, funny, and upbeat that any kid would enjoy the storyl ine. My students love the pictures in the books as they show exactly what is being described. This can be a learning experience for children who have never visited a beach. For those who have it can be an extension to their experience. I would use this book for various lessons. For example reading this book and having many of the real and found objects from this book would be amazing. I can have the children ...more
Heidi
Jan 27, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ages 4 and up
Another book in this popular series, I discovered this one at a bookstore while browsing. Of course, the old lady is at it again when she swallows a bell. Why did she swallow the bell? The old lady won't tell. She then continues to swallow various items, such as some bows, gifts, a sack and even a sleigh! The audience will no doubt guess what the old lady is up to. A light and funny read-aloud story to share at Christmas.
Linzi Wilkinson
Feb 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reading-catalog
Genre: Picture book

Reading Level: grade 1-3

Topics & Themes:This book is a rhyming book. It's setting is at Christmas time.

Curricular Use: I would use this book to illustrate rhyming within children's literature in a read aloud or shared reading.

Social: This book talks about the Christmas holiday and Santa Claus.

Literary Elements: Uses rhyming throughout the book and a lot of humor!

Text & Pictures: This book uses great illustrations to express the text
Kristy Schwertfeger
Mar 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: stages
This book is just like "The old lady who swallowed some leaves." The children think it is funny and love guessing what is going to happen next. These books are also great because there are a lot of different types, and they can be in the classroom at different times of the year. This one is good for Christmas time!
Leann
Dec 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
Another in the series of Old Lady Who books... I read and reread these to my preschool class and while they are not my favorite books the students love them and I have started to build some curriculum around these books. They are great for pre readers who want to be able to "read" the book themselves.
Fredrick Danysh
Feb 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-ya
A chapter book for children around the first grade reading level. It is written in the Dr. Seuss format and tells the story of an old woman who swallows things related to Christmas. My grand-niece enjoyed it immensely when I read it to her.
Amy
Dec 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-book
The kids at storytime (ages 0-5) loved this. I made up little pictures of each thing the old lady swallowed and when she swallowed the item in the book, the kids could 'feed' the old lady I had made. They made me read this story 3 times
Jan 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book is so funny, students will love it. An old lady swallows all things related to Christmas and almost ruins Christmas. But then Santa comes to help out. This would be a great read aloud before the winter break.
April Thompson
Dec 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Just in time for Christmas
Alex (not a dude) Baugh
This is a board book that was originally published as a hardcover book. But it is by now a familiar format that kids will get right in the swing of. This is a perfect read aloud for younger readers. The easy rhyme, that repeats all the things the old lady swallowed as she eats new items will be quickly picked up by the kids, making is an interactive story for them. And it won't be long before the kids will begin adding their own ideas to the rhyme. The illustrations are silly fun, and kids reall ...more
Kelly
Apr 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Fun and silly, but not my favorite from this series.
Mary Mckelvin
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books, poetry
Is really Mrs. Santa Claus??? because after she collected everything she " she whistled" it out and jumped in the sled with Mr. Claus.
Stephanie Crowther
May 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Christmas version
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a cute book. My son and I love to read the "there was an old lady who swallowed...". They make us laugh and they do have some repetition to them so he can help read them as well.
Maureen
Cute.
Lauren
Dec 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: skylar
This `was a cute holiday addition to the there was an old lady series. Great illustrations. My daughters favorite part was when santa comes at the end. ...more
Christine Grant
Dec 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
Christmas Movement and Music. I found this version more difficult to sing than others in the series.
Aiden and Jack
Feb 10, 2018 rated it liked it
GRL: L
DRA: 20
Mary Lowry
Nov 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another clever rendition of the original. Students will think this is funny and easy to remember its rhyming verses.
Brittany
Dec 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
what doesn't this old lady swallow? my kids love all of these books
Atlantis
Dec 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Cute but wacky Christmas version.
David
Dec 12, 2011 rated it liked it
There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Bell! by Lucille Colandro, illustrated by Jared Lee follows the hungry old lady in a Christmastime themed tale.

The hungry old lady swallows a bell, bows, gifts, a sack, a sleigh, and some reindeer! Why did she swallow the bell? The old lady won't tell. She's about to swallow a candy cane for dessert, when she hears a jolly "Ho! Ho! Ho!" Santa Claus is waiting for a ride! Then she whistles....

The humorous rhyming text has repetition and provides sequencing p
Dolly
Dec 23, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We've read several books in the There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed... series by this author and illustrator team. The stories are pretty predictable and sometimes a bit forced, but they are entertaining for young children. And it's fun to see the same old lady have all kinds of crazy adventures. We enjoyed listening to this book read aloud on an audio CD, while we followed along with the book.
Pam
Dec 18, 2014 rated it liked it
This book was both cute and gross at the same time, which probably makes it perfect for some of the kids in your life. The idea of swallowing an entire sled just is a bit over the top and then belching everything out makes this book better suited to many kids rather than their parents. Not a holiday classic for me!
Whitney Strickland
For such a catchy title, I was not that impressed with the story. Although I can see how young children like the parts where they can join in , I still would have liked a little more explanation to what happens to the bell! As soon as I got finished reading to the class; the kids wanted an explanation to parts of the story that were left out. Just my thoughts.
  • Corduroy's Christmas Surprise
  • Froggy's Best Christmas
  • The Night Before the Night Before Christmas
  • Mooseltoe
  • Frosty the Snowman
  • Merry Christmas, Big Hungry Bear!
  • The Biggest, Best Snowman
  • I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Pie
  • Over the River: A Turkey's Tale
  • The Biggest Snowman Ever
  • Snowmen All Year
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Trout!
  • Chester Raccoon and the Big Bad Bully (Chester the Raccoon (Kissing Hand) #4)
  • Gingerbread Mouse
  • Arthur's Perfect Christmas
  • A Plump And Perky Turkey
  • Santa Duck
  • Merry Christmas, Splat

There Was an Old Lady (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Bat!
  • There Was a Cold Lady Who Swallowed Some Snow!
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Shell!
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Chick!
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Clover!
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Rose!
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly!
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed Some Books!
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed Some Leaves!
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Frog!