Start by marking “Citadel (Languedoc Trilogy # 3)” as Want to Read:
Citadel (Languedoc Trilogy # 3)

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

Citadel

(Languedoc #3)

Combining the rugged action of Labyrinth with the haunting mystery of Sepulchre, #1 bestselling author Kate Mosse’s eagerly awaited Citadel is a mesmerizing World War II story of daring and courage, in which a group of determined women fighting for the French Resistance risk their lives to save their homeland . . . and protect astonishing secrets buried in time.

France, 194

Published March 18th 2014 by William Morrow (first published November 8th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Citadel, please sign up.
David Lucas I just read this book and I've read the others, in order. It would read perfectly well as a standalone novel. It mentions characters from the others,…moreI just read this book and I've read the others, in order. It would read perfectly well as a standalone novel. It mentions characters from the others, which is interesting and fun when they pop up, and one old character is part of the others, so this wraps up his journey that began in Labyrinth. Those were nice tidbits, but not necessary to follow the story. (less)

James
3.5 stars to Citadel, the third book in the Languedoc trilogy, written by Kate Mosse in 2011. I read the first two books in the series many years ago and loved them both. I hadn't been aware of this one until three years ago when I found a copy at a discount sale. I quickly bought it but it sat on my shelf for over a year until I finally read it this month. I struggled at first to get into the story, but the intrigue got better as the book progressed. Unfortunately, it was probably 200 pages too ...more
Kate Forsyth
I really loved both ‘Labyrinth’ and ‘Sepulchre’, which brought together elements of my favourite genres – history, suspense, romance, with a twist of the supernatural. So I was very excited to get Kate Mosse’s new book, ‘Citadel’, which is a lovely, big, thick thwack of a book. You wouldn’t want to drop it on your toe, or have to carry it around in your handbag.

Even though it is very heavy and hard to hold while reading in bed, ‘Citadel’ was a swift and pleasurable read. Most nights I stayed up
Amanda Patterson
Apr 14, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Citadel is the final instalment in the Languedoc trilogy. I haven’t read Labyrinth and Sepulchre, and after struggling through Citadel I have no intention of doing so.
Set during the Second World, the storyline follows a group of women Resistance fighters who are trying to help people escape the Nazis in France. We meet Sandrine and her network known by the codename Citadel.
Then we meet a Dark Ages monk who is protecting a scroll known as the Codex. This secondary plot should have been left out
Ben Babcock
Kate Mosse has been on the periphery of my literary radar for a while now. Hers were books that would show up on recommendation lists based on books I had like. They would appear at my friends’ houses, imposing yet reassuring with their bulk and sleek, simple cover art. I was vaguely aware that she wrote historical fiction, and that was it.

Citadel confronted me from the stack of just-returned books at the library one afternoon. It eyed me up, and finding me worthy, told me I was taking it out th
Mweene
Jan 27, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book very taxing. The characters did not seem real to me. They came across as being one dimensional, probably because the author focused on their collective responsibility towards the resistance. It is almost as if they had no lives beyond the war and while war does tend to do that most books that I have read with world war 2 backgrounds usually provide characters with more holistic lives. I failed to be moved by the love story because to me it seemed to have been put together in ha ...more
Jan Hawke
Kyrie
Aug 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved how she wove recent history with the distant past in this story about the French resistance in the Languedoc. She tells a tale well, without flinching from the painful parts.

I want to reread all her books on this area.
Kirsten "Ghost Deserved Better"
I absolutely love Kate Mosse! I wish she'd write more often, but I suppose her books are SO good because she does such GREAT research into her subject.

I read the first two books of the trilogy and really wasn't sure where she'd go next. I only knew there would be a lot of Languedoc stuff in it. Really, I have no desire to see France, but I'd love to visit the Languedoc region!

This book had ancient secrets, the supernatural, love, death, and -- Nazis! It had a great pace and kept my attention. I
Mags
Oct 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really this was a little below 4 - only because some of the characterisation got a little "box-ticking" towards the very end. This relates to the heroine's sister really and was entirely unnecessary.
Other than that, it was a great book. Good story, based more in the present than her previous books but still with links to the history of the Languedoc. As always with her books, it has strengthened my wish to visit the area and soak up some of the history for myself.
Gilly
Nov 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, Im an emotional wreck after that!! Absolutely brilliant. I love how Kate Mosse can transport you back in time and really emmerse you in the French landacape. Loved Labyrinth and Sepulchre, and Citadel blew me away, combining some familiar and loved characters and introducing new generations too. I love how Mosse draws us in and weaves these exciting tales through French history. Struggled to put it down and am picking up Labyrinth again to reread right now!!
Donna Fore
This was my first Kate Mosse book, and I will probably not read another. I am a fan of historical fiction, and the story line of the female resistance fighters in France was intriguing. I would have liked to see more attention paid to their exploits and less to the search for the Codex. The depth of Mosse's descriptions of the plight of the French during the German occupation evoked sympathy and a level of outrage. That said, the climax, which required a supernatural occurrence, was very disappo ...more
Kassi
Nov 25, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finally finished. The culminating 'supernatural' aspect could have been so much 'more' - it all happened in a few pages of the final 60 pages and was over as soon as it began, which was a bit of a let-down after the drip-feeding of all 4 books, hence 4 not 5 stars. Brilliant set of books, Mosse doesn't 'cop out' when it comes to the fate of her major characters,and the sense of history is so real & brought to life as she 'writes' her story against the backdrop of true life events.

I am glad t
Anne
Dec 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
At last, I got my mitts on a copy of the final part of Kate Mosse's Languedoc trilogy. Citadel was published by Orion in October, it's been a long 5 year wait for this one. Historical fiction has never been my first love, and I'll admit that the first of the series; Labyrinth, sat on my shelf for a long time before I actually read it. I was amazed by the writing, by the story and how Mosse manages to captivate the reader with her complex plots and engaging characters. Labyrinth was followed by S ...more
Erin
Sep 16, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had not read any other of Kate Mosse's work prior to reading Citadel so I was unsure of what I was getting into. After reading this novel, which I ended up enjoying at the very end, I do not think I will continue to read her novels.

For the first 30-something chapters, it felt like work to read. Every time I put it down, I did not want to pick it back up. I found it to be quite slow-moving and I felt no connection with the characters. That started to change around chapter 37, when the major lov
Gail
Feb 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
I enjoyed Labyrinth and Sepulchre enormously and was overjoyed when I heard Kate had written the final book in the Languedoc trilogy (after the disappointment of the dreadful Winter Ghosts) and was expecting this to be more on the lines of the previous two books, namely the supernatural elements, but this is nothing like the other two at all. Yes Audric Baillard features quite heavily throughout, but it really took me until 300 pages to start to thoroughly enjoy the book.

It starts off very slowl
Luna Ofthenight
Nov 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had reservations about starting this book. Mainly because I loved Labyrinth but wasn't too keen on Sepulchre. But once again I was drawn quickly into the tale and the location, which Mosse paints so beautifully with her words. Drawing the characters from the first two books in the trilogy together. The over riding message for me was one of love and fighting for what you believe in, the truth.
A delight to read, evoking a mix of emotions.
Birdief
I enjoyed this, but nowhere near as much as her other books. It is very long, coming in at just short of a thousand pages and in my opinion it is far too long. The supernatural thread rather peters out - I was hoping for a big denouement but the book unfortunately didn't deliver. In fact the ending overall was a bit of a let down given the lengthy build up.

I felt the parallel story set in the 4th C was rather dull and repetitive, it was there purely to serve the main story and that showed.

I thin
Sue
Jul 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it. I've really enjoyed all Kate Mosse's books. They are true stories to get lost in.

Wish I had another of her's on hand to read.
Annette
Source: Free advanced reader copy from William Morrow, and France Book Tours, in exchange for a review.
From the internationally bestselling author of Labyrinth and Sepulchre comes a thrilling novel, set in the South of France during World War II, that interweaves history and legend, love and conflict, passion and adventure, bringing to life brave women of the French Resistance and a secret they must protect from the Nazis. In Carcassonne, a colorful historic village nestled deep in the Pyrenees,
Becky
Thoroughly heartbreaking but such an amazingly captivating novel with fascinating twists. It hurts all the more because you know for a fact that this stuff happened... and it’s so heartbreaking.
Fergie
Apr 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having read and enjoyed Mosse's Labyrinth, I was interested in taking on the third of the novels that make-up her Languedoc trilogy (I have yet to read the second in the series, Sepulchre). Mosse is more than capable of creating interesting and strong female characters. I was able to detect similarities in themes and plot between Layrinth & Citadel, but this didn't deter me from continuing to read, even when I was quite sure I knew how the story would end. I did like Labyrinth better. Howeve ...more
TwoDrinks
Nov 11, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
I do wish I'd known that Kate Mosse weaves the supernatural in to all her books before I started reading this. If I had, the introduction of the Ghost Army wouldn't have jolted me to a halt. It just seemed so unnecessary and daft as the culmination of its appearance was unsatisfactory and confusing. I imagine this is what it's like for people watching From Dusk Til Dawn who haven't realised there were two directors which is why the film goes oddly vampiric halfway through.

I think the book is ad
Valeria
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shonna Froebel
Nov 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A thick one, but a good one. I've loved the other books I've read by her and once again this one takes place in southern France. Events occur in two time periods, the 4th century and during World War II. The story has a link back to Labyrinth.
In the fourth century a monk, Arinius, has been taxed with saving a document that the Christian leaders have decided is heretical. Like a few others, he disagrees and has accepted the task of taking the Codex to another land and hiding it safely away for a
T.B. Markinson
This is the first book I’ve read by Kate Mosse and I have to say wow. First I should state that this is a mammoth of a book: 680 pages. Luckily I was able to read it on my Kindle since I wouldn’t want to lug this book around. However, considering I was glued to my Kindle for several days in a row, I probably would have carried the book with me. I had a really hard time putting this one down and I blame Mosse for keeping me up past my bedtime several times in one week. I kept saying just a few mo ...more
Belinda
Recensie kan spoilers bevatten.

Een prachtig verhaal wat geschiedenis, bon homme, een codex, een oorlog, en liefdesverhaal met elkaar verweven.

De jonge dappere Sandrine leert haar eigen strijd te voeren tegen de duitse bezetter.
Ze is de leidster van een vrouwen verzetsgroep in Carcassonne, een stad vol geschiedenis.

Warm meeslepend maar zeker een boek voor op vakantie met zijn ruim 760 pagina's.
Het heeft niet teveel personages die ook goed zijn uitgewerkt. Je leeft mee met de hoofdpersonen en je w
Rosemary Beiscak
I picked up this book, with no prior experience of Kate Mosse' writing. I felt that the central story of a group of women resistance fighters, in the Languedoc region of France, during WW2, to be sufficient, in itself, to maintain the reader's interest. The interwoven story of the Codex seemed to me to be superfluous, and diverted from the tale of genuine heroism, on the part of the protagonists. The constant repetition of somewhat cliched phrases was a little irritating, at times. Having said t ...more
Nicki
Even though I originally read this book some years ago I still remember thoroughly enjoying this final book in the Labyrinth trilogy. I've had this sitting on my library wishlist for ages, not knowing if I should re-read it, as I didn't want to spoil my happy memories of having devoured it the first time round. I needn't have worried as I enjoyed it even more as an audiobook, especially as Finty Williams was a perfect narrator, really bringing this book and it's characters to life. I've not list ...more
Ellana Thornton-Wheybrew
Pretty good overall, but I did feel it was lacking in tension at times.
Steph
Apr 14, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Congratulations! Well done! Fantastic! Amazing! ME!! Why? For making it through this terrible tomb of tremendous drivel. I have read over a hundred books in the past eighteenth months or so and this is by far the worst! The very fact I made it through all 900 pages plus of such utter codswallop is a minor miracle. Why did I bother I hear you ask? Well, I had read 'Labyrinth' which I really enjoyed and 'Sepulcher,' which was also relatively enjoyable as far as light holiday reads go. So as 'Citad ...more
2015 Reading Chal...: Citadel by Kate Mosse 9 53 Jan 12, 2015 11:20AM
What current phase of the moon has to do with winning a book? 2 14 Apr 24, 2014 02:42AM
what is with the new Kate Mosse book? 2 82 Apr 08, 2014 08:16AM

• Daughters of Eden
  • The Gallows Curse
  • The Dakota Cipher (Ethan Gage, #3)
  • River of Destiny
  • The Treasure of Montségur: A Novel of the Cathars
  • The Lost Library (Emily Weiss #1)
  • The Map
  • The Summer of France
  • The Sword of the Maiden (The Watchmen Saga #2)
  • The Haunting
  • Bible of the Dead
  • The Marais Assassin (Victor Legris, #4)
  • The Key (Sancti Trilogy #2)
  • Forest Gate
  • The Lost Labyrinth (Daniel Knox, #3)
  • The Collector of Dying Breaths (Reincarnationist, #6)
  • Beyond The Darkness (The Shadow Demons Saga, #9)
  • Defy the Night
Kate Mosse is an international bestselling author with sales of more than five million copies in 42 languages. Her fiction includes the novels Labyrinth (2005), Sepulchre (2007), The Winter Ghosts (2009), and Citadel (2012), as well as an acclaimed collection of short stories, The Mistletoe Bride & Other Haunting Tales (2013). Kate’s new novel, The Taxidermist’s Daughter is out now.
Kate is the

Languedoc (3 books)
  • Labyrinth (Languedoc, #1)
  • Sepulchre (Languedoc, #2)
“There's no black and no white, just shades of grey...But the small betrayals lead to bigger ones, morality is eroded.” 12 likes
“If we do not remember those who have gone before us, we are destined to repeat the same mistakes. We walk blind through time.” 5 likes