Start by marking “Fat Face” as Want to Read:
Fat Face

Fat Face

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  45 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
With the deceptive ease and streetwise enlightenment of a weird storytelling master, Michael Shea fearlessly sounds the unplumbed depths of the Cthulhu Mythos to witness visions from which traditional cosmic horror has always averted its dark-adapted gaze.
Published December 31st 2013

To ask other readers questions about Fat Face, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fat Face

D. Hilliard
Jun 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the story of a hooker who lets curiosity lead her into making a very bad choice. I'll leave it at that, and start off by saying I seldom buy single short stories, but I was in the mood for something small yet Lovecraftian. I saw this recommended on a forum and decided to give it a try. I'm glad I did because it was a 99 cents well spent.

The author does a great job of creating a sordid Los Angelos made all the more seedy by the characters involved. The main character is vividly portrayed
Phil Gonzales
Jan 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shea's story takes the reader into the urban underworld of The Mythos with a story that relies more on atmosphere but delivers on the nasty shocks. Owing perhaps a larger debt to the likes of Robert Chambers, Shea captures the Lovecraftian mood nicely in a sad, strangely lovely, tale of madness. RECOMMENDED.
Alex Budris
The Cthulhu Mythos. What are they? I don’t think anyone actually knows. People just make it up as things go along. Of course they deal with the writings of Howard Phillip Lovecraft, but in what way? So many authors just regurgitate names of otherworldly demons and cut and paste them into less than average prose.

Nyarlathotep, Azathoth, Shub-Niggurath – Just learn to spell them and inject them into a bad horror story. Holy Shit! I’m part of the Mythos!

Michael Shea is not average. He tells the stor
Ashe Armstrong
Jul 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, weird-fiction
Mostly, I read this as research/inspiration for my (as of writing this) next book. I got a bit of what I wanted at the end. Would've liked more but it is what it is. That said, what I did get was really rad and offered up an interesting concept. The execution overall read very much like a Contemporary Lovecraft. Similar phrasings but without some of the stilted, archaic language. Unfortunately, a lot of the story just plods along. All the interesting bits come and go too fast but it gets points ...more
David Hambling

Slightly disappointing , a routine girl-meets-monster with a credibility-stretching heroine and a plot that hasn't been well thought through...but it rates the three stars for a delirious passage in which a Shoggoth breaks into pure Lovecraftian purple prose. Quite fun, could have been better.
Simon Bucher-Jones
Feb 07, 2014
Ann
Jan 02, 2015
Estott
rated it did not like it
Sep 30, 2014
Veronika Červencová
rated it it was ok
Jun 04, 2016
For the British author of thrillers and non-fiction see Michael Shea

Michael Shea (1946-2014) was an American fantasy, horror, and science fiction author who lived in California. He was a multiple winner of the World Fantasy Award and his works include Nifft the Lean (1982) (winner of the World Fantasy Award) and The Mines of Behemoth (1997) (later republished together as The Incomplete Nifft, 200
More about Michael Shea