Start by marking “Carrier” as Want to Read:
Carrier

Carrier

For fans of The Walking Dead and The Hunger Games comes a YA novel about freedom, choice and family — and the terrifying disease that makes them mutually exclusive.

From the day she was born, Lena has viewed the world through the jagged window of a razor-wired fence. The hundred-acre property she shares with her mother in the Australian outback may keep her safe from the Y
Published March 1st 2014 by Escape Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Carrier, please sign up.
Vanessa Garden Hi Ade, Carrier isn't part of a series (for now) but I have most certainly brainstormed a couple of ideas for a sequel so you never know :)

JusMe
Feb 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love Vanessa's style of writing, I am hooked. Amazing characters, fantastic plot. This was a short book but there was a lot packed into it, the book did not feel rushed and it drew me in. I really would like to see and read more of this and find out what happens in the future for Lena, Patrick, Petra, Sammy, Sapphire and family and for those who left. I am really hoping there is going to be another book
Tsana Dolichva
Feb 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Carrier by Vanessa Garden is the first book I've read by the author, although her (unrelated) début novel came out not too long ago. Carrier is a short novel released by Escape Publishing, the ebook-only arm of Harlequin AU. And it is pretty short, even for YA, but it packs a significant punch despite its light weight (or perhaps because of it).

I really enjoyed this book. The Australian setting was, of course, something I like to see and the story was fresh and different. Being a short book it w
Anatea Oroz
Jan 30, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: young-adult, dystopia
This review is also posted on my blog, Anatea's Bookshelf.

When I started reading Carrier, I definitely didn't think there was a possibility of me not liking it. With reading Vanessa Garden's debut novel Captivate a while ago, which I absolutely loved, and with a great promise "For fans of The Walking Dead and The Hunger Games comes a YA novel about freedom, choice and family", I really wasn't expecting to be disappointed by Carrier, but I was. Maybe I was lead by assumption that this book will i
Carrie Slager
Feb 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
[Full disclosure: I received a free ebook through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.]

If you’re thinking this is a zombie book, I’ve got news for you: it’s not. You never, ever see a zombie. No, instead this is something a lot more interesting, something that hasn’t really been done before.

We have Lena, a seventeen-year-old girl who has lived only with her mother and cousin, fearing what lurks beyond the fence that keeps the family safe. Now that her cousin Alice is dead it’s just Lena a
Aussie bookworm
A great new twist to the Zombie Novel, Instead of Zombies the world was over run with a disease that made males a carrier and women would get infected and die horribly, It is an extremely dangerous time for women with not many left in the world. Lena lives in outback Australia with her mother, Her house is a Jail with her Mother the warden. Lena is not allowed to leave their yard after her older cousin Alice tried to run away one night and was brutally murdered by a group of men.

Lena’s mother is
Feb 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, post-apocalyptic
The plot of this entertaining and well written novel starts out as a straightforward post-apocalyptic adventure but soon evolves into something completely different, with plenty of interesting twists along the way. I enjoyed the story and characters, particularly the realistically naive and reckless teenage romance, but wish it could have been longer and more substantial. This is a short book, which is both refreshing and problematic. There's nothing extraneous here, and the fast paced plot is g ...more
Kathy Russo
Feb 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I am a giant fan of post-apocalyptic and dystopian situations with prowling zombies and civilisation disintegrating with a limited group of survivors attempting to flee rampage and chaos. I truly enjoyed Vanessa Garden’s Carrier because of this. The Australian setting that the book was placed in was something I loved and the plot was fresh and diverse from many others in the same sort of genre. As it is a short book, it was moderately fast-paced and a quick read but honestly did not feel rushed ...more
Alina Valentine
Apr 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Carrier was a great refreshing read. I had stayed away from YA for a while because it became very predictable. But Vanessa Garden managed to make this story very exciting and fast paced without rushing through it. The twists at the end were great, she made it work. I recommend this to anyone who loves strong heroines.
NicoleHasRead
Feb 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Review coming to readinglark.blogspot.com on March 5th.
Lauredhel

There was a great setup for this book, hitting all my buttons: plague novel, set in Australia, young adult.

Lena is a girl locked in an outback property with her Mum and two pet dingoes, and kept in by fear of Carriers outside the fences. Y-Carrier disease has swept Australia. It kills women, but only infects men, leaving them with a rash and a deadly cargo. As the story goes on, it appears that this apocalypse seems to have happened while Lena was in utero.

Lena is a teenager now, and s
Vanessa Garden
Feb 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Hey there, fellow book lovers!
It's the eve of CARRIER's release and I am so excited to share Lena and Patrick's story with you! CARRIER was an absolute joy to write and each night I could hardly wait to sit in front of my laptop and throw myself back into the beautifully harsh Australian outback to see how Lena was faring on her epic journey.
I'm hoping you'll laugh, cry and perhaps even feel an uneasy prickle at the back of your neck while reading. But most of all, I hope you'll fall in love wit
Amanda Woolley
Oct 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Wow this book was different but in a good way. The ending was a little dissapointing leaving the reader hanging (kind of hoping that may have been left open for more to come
Josie Carter
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this story

I cried and worried over these characters . I plan on reading more of your books as soon as I'm done with review lol!
Charlotte (novelsandteacups)
I thought Carrier would be something I would really enjoy, the plot was good to start off with a plague and finding trying to find the possibility of what it may have been that caused it to happen. However for me I thought up to end part the book I felt like it was abit disappointing, and there was still a lot of questions that hadn't been answered.
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Harlequin Enterprises Australia and netgalley.)
16-year-old Lena lives in a dystopian world where men carry a disease which kills women. When Lena meets a boy for the first time she quickly falls in love, and decides to risk everything to be with him.

This was an okay story, but I lost interest.

Lena was an okay character but I didn't love her. Her decisions seemed rash and not well thought out, and she wa
Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
Carrier started brilliantly, the premise of a teen girl being confined to her home, a rampant virus killing the female population and the mystery of Patrick immersed me within the storyline. But sadly the final few short chapters felt as though the story was verging on the ridiculous. It left me feeling deflated, as though two different books had been merged together. I'm not generally big on criticism, but with a rewritten ending, a longer and more drawn
Jana at ThatArtsyReaderGirl.com
Find my full review at That Artsy Reader Girl.

All in all, the premise and the setting were the two strong points. The execution was disappointing, and I don’t even feel like this book is from the same author as the one who wrote Captivate. There was no magic, and I guess that’s what I was looking for. I’m still a fan of Vanessa Garden, though, and cannot wait for the next book in the Submerged Sun series!
Linda Beharry
Georgeana
rated it did not like it
Aug 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
YA Buddy Readers'...: Carrier by Vanessa Garden - Starting April 18th 2014 9 17 Apr 19, 2014 07:52AM

• The Perimeter (Outside, #3)
  • True Fate (True Fate #1)
  • The Recruit (MTG Agencies #1)
  • Tore: Divided Love (Torn Love, #2)
  • Finding Home
  • Unbound (All Good Things #1)
  • Creators (The Lost Souls, #3)
  • Suddenly You (The Jane Austen Academy Series, #4)
  • Tortured Souls (The Orion Circle #1)
  • My Life From Hell (The Blooming Goddess Trilogy #3)
  • Adrenaline Rush (Christy, #1)
  • Revolutionary (Anomaly, #3)
  • Enmity
  • Spellweaver (The Spellweaver Chronicles, #1)
  • Mutilate My Heart (Mutilated, #1)
  • Disassemble (Divided Worlds, #2)
  • Cursed (Voodoo Nights #1)
  • Shattered
A bookseller and Young Adult author, Vanessa loves nothing more than immersing herself in the exciting world of books. When she is not raving about her favourite reads with customers, or mentally casting actors to play the characters in her next novel, she enjoys hanging out with those she loves most.
“Do I look that bad?’ I said, my voice quavering with the rejection that I was ashamed for even caring about. ‘Is that what this is all about? How ugly I look?’
Patrick kept his eyes on the back wall of the cave.
‘If you really have to know, it’s the opposite of that,’ he said, his voice taking on a tender tone. ‘I think you are the most beautiful girl I’ve ever seen.”
1 likes
“There were two people…things at the cave entrance,’ I whispered, shuffling as close to him as possible, my eyes trained on where the strangers had stood only seconds ago. At my words, Patrick seemed to jolt awake.
‘Sometimes the fire makes shadows when it’s dying,’ he said, sitting up, his arm brushing against my side. ‘I’ve slept here many times and it happens,’ he added.
‘No. They were real.’ My thudding heart was like thunder in my ears. ‘They were really tall and pale, and blond, really, really blond.’
‘Maybe, as you were falling asleep tonight, you were thinking about the shadows at your window, which caused you to dream about two blond men?’ His warm breath tickled my hair. ‘And maybe, deep down, you have a thing for blonds. I’m a little offended, actually.”
0 likes