Start by marking “Ghost Girl (The Detective's Daughter, #2)” as Want to Read:
Ghost Girl (The Detective's Daughter, #2)

Ghost Girl

(The Detective's Daughter #2)

It is a year since her father's death, but Stella Darnell has not moved on. She still cleans his house every day, leaving it spotless as if he might return.

Terry Darnell was Detective Chief Superintendent at Hammersmith police station, and now Stella has discovered an unsolved case in his darkroom: a folder of unlabelled photographs of deserted streets.

The oldest photogr
Published April 10th 2014 by Head of Zeus (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Ghost Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ghost Girl

Start your review of Ghost Girl (The Detective's Daughter, #2)
Andrea
Feb 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Won this book on first reads this is her second book enjoyed it better than her first book if you like a crime book this book is for you.
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
What a let down this was. I was so excited to get this book from the library and settled in to be wowed and entertained. This was not how it went. I found this book to be very long winded and more than a bit confusing. Very hard to get into it and stay interested.

The books fluctuates between the present (2012) and the past (1966) and we hear from a few different characters. It is not until nearly the end of the book that the links are made as to who/why the voices from the past are connected to
Maxine
Jul 05, 2014 rated it liked it
This was a funny old book for me. The first half of the book was full of very distinct and separate stories of the main characters, in a very similar way to the way Stephen King starts his stories. They then start to merge, but sadly for me I had already worked out who the murderer was, and that always annoys me. The other problem I had with the book, was that l really didn't like the characters, other than Jack, who seems less shallow than the others. Stella in particular is irritating and I do ...more
Ian Sear
Nov 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
I was so excited to read this book after loving 'The Detective's Daughter' which introduced us to Stella and Jack and how they solve a cold case left behind by Stella's detective father who had just died.

This book introduces another unsolved mystery, this time concerning the deaths of men that had previously hit and killed children with their vehicle. Our duo find a connection between several of these based on photos that Stella finds in her late father's basement.

The sto
Chloe
Oct 16, 2014 rated it it was ok
This book - phew, it felt like a marathon! It's certainly not an easy book to get into and I must admit, I nearly gave up many times. There seems to be 2 separate story lines for most of the book, and that got confusing. The whole story is rather convoluted and drawn out. Not what I was expecting so was a little disappointed.
Keith Nixon
Aug 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
In the second Detective’s Daughter mystery, accidental detective and owner of a cleaning business, Stella Darnell, inherits another case. Her father, Superintendent Terry Darnell, has been dead for a year but Stella is unable to move on. She still visits his house daily, almost expecting his return any time, and keeps it spotlessly clean. During her ministrations in his basement office Stella discovers what appears to be an unsolved case – a folder of unlabeled photographs of deserted streets. T ...more
Rebecca Hock
Jun 13, 2018 rated it liked it
I chose this book to read as i really enjoyed the author's previous book, The Detective's Daughter. I did not enjoy this one nearly as much. I enjoyed the characters in the book but the storyline at times seemed pretty confusing.I stuck with it and finished the book but I have to say that at times I almost gave up on this book. At times I quite enjoyed it but at other times I was so tempted to give up on it as I got somewhat confused about the details. Not one I would be quick to recommend to ot ...more
Anne Robinson
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
I am asking myself why I felt obliged to read to the end of this book? There are so many other, better and more engaging books available, so I really cannot answer my own question. The characters are so quirky, the scenarios are odd and the writing is really off at times. I struggled to make sense of the first half of the book then somehow battled my way to the end. Apparently, the first book in the series is better, so perhaps other people should hold off this one and read that one first! Still ...more
Tracey Brown
Jun 01, 2018 rated it did not like it
One of the worst books I’ve ever read. Not a bad premise but completely disjointed. Could not care about the characters one little bit. Stella- sad. Jack- mad. So one-dimensional. And why have a character called Jackie and one called Jack? Really? I’m forcing myself, slowly and painfully, to finish it, but it’s pathetic.
Vicky Hughes
Sep 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Struggled to get into this book, found it slightly confusing at the beginning. However I persevered. Not as good as the first book The detectives daughter, however I'll still give the next book in the series a chance x
Karen Broughton
I jumped into this book straight after reading detectives daughter which I really enjoyed. this one definitely didn't disappoint either. I really have to say that I am loving this series.
having got used to the authors style of writing there was no slow start like I had with dectives daughter for me the story flowed. I found myself speed reading to its conclusion I so wanted to see how it panned out. mary/Myra the little girl from the 60's She blew me away who she grew up to be.
I love the chara
J.L. Slipak
Nov 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
MY THOUGHTS:
I received this book in exchange for my honest review.
This was a tough book to get into. But, after hanging in there, I found myself flipping anxiously through the pages to see what was going to happen next. I was shocked by who the little girl turned out to be and felt so bad that she was turn into the bad person in the story because of events she couldn’t possibly have helped.
I love the growing relationship between the main characters and how their interactions we
Melissa
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I began reading The Detective's Daughter in between books in a different series, not realizing this was also a series, and not expecting much. I was very pleasantly surprised. The atmosphere is dark, the writing good, the characters realistic (mostly), and the ending surprising. I thought I knew what the ending would be like, and I had no idea. The main reason that I have been giving 4 stars is that there are several places where words are misspelled or out of order. I can understand what the au ...more
Ann Taylor
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
It was a slow starter and at first I got a bit confused bobbing about between 1966 and 2012. But once it got going I got pulled in and had to read on to find out if I’d got it right.

As it turns out I got it half right. This was an intriguing read and I fell in love with Jack all over again. The characters are all very human and have their little foibles. I especially like the relationship between Stella and her Mum.
Trudy
Nov 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Strange book. I gave it 3 stars because clearly, somebody must like this series.
To me it seemed like all the characters were written as borderline psychotics with no positive attributes. There was nobody to like or to identify with. Not to mention it was slooow getting going. I only managed a couple of chapters before giving up and looking for something a little less heavy on the description, a little lighter in tone.
Lisa Knowles
Jan 01, 2019 rated it liked it
This rating is only so high because of the wonderful way the children in the early part of this story are written. Mary and Michael come alive on those pages, but I found the adult characters unrealistic, unrelatable and frankly not likeable at all, it was a hard slog to get to the end and not even a reward for the reader of a twist in the predictability of the whodunnit.
Sydney
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
See my review of the first in this series. More of same singing of praises. I thought this mystery plot sadder than the other, but I don't really like "cozy" mysteries — so sad is not detrimental. Thomson combines certain elements of strangeness with an underlying ordinary humanity — really fine work.
Charlene
Oct 05, 2019 rated it did not like it
Worst book I've read...very confusing, hard to follow
Mayuri Kunigiri
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
Confusing and boring. Skim read most of the plot. It's a waste of time. Readers can live without knowing about this book.
Phillis
Jul 12, 2017 rated it liked it
I liked the story line but the way the author presents it is very confusing. I kept me wondering what was going on, and made following the story line a bit difficult.
Windy
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyable second episode in this series featuring a pair of quirky amateur sleuths
Joseph Ferguson
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Frances
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Convoluted but very good....I could do with Clean Slate!
Donna
Aug 12, 2017 rated it liked it
read out of order. Liked this unusual mystery. Hard to get into but 1/3 way through got very interesting
Sally Jenkins
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really loved this second book and look forward to the next one.I enjoyed the twists and turns and intertwining threads.......
Caren
Nov 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Although this was interesting reading, the coincidences are way too far fetched, making the story line difficult to believe. This book follows the same formula as the first book in the series.
Marty
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
It was suspenseful and spooky with Jack living secretly in a host(murderer's) house. And going back and forward in time made it confusing and also very complicated with all the cases involved. But overall an enjoyable read. Interesting to have a cleaning lady be a detective. And all the layers of guilt and grieving were described well.
Marguerite Kaye
Aug 17, 2014 rated it liked it
To be honest, I think 3 stars is generous for my reading of this. I flicked through about the last half of it only to satisfy my own curiosity about the murderer - and I was pretty much right. I enjoyed the first in this series, but this book just didn't resonate with me. Once again, looking at other reviews, I seem to be in the minority.

It's a whole load of things I didn't like. I found Stella, the detective's daughter, really quite irritating. Instead of empathising with her inability to move
Elaine
May 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Babus Ahmed
Jan 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
The second in the series about Stella Darnell, daughter of the late retired detective chief superintendent Terry Darnell. After solving the Rokesmith murder in the previous book, Stella is struggling a year later with her father's death. Stella has yet to clear/sell Terry's house and has been cleaning as much as she can for Clean Slate, her business and maintaining the status quo at Terry's house. During this routine she discovers a folder of photos which lead her onto a case to be solved. Why d ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Hell's Fire
  • The Trophy Taker (DC Charlotte Stafford, #2)
  • Alterknits: Imaginative Projects and Creativity Exercises
  • THE COMPLETE SHERLOCK HOLMES and THE COMPLETE TALES OF TERROR AND MYSTERY (All Sherlock Holmes Stories and All 12 Tales of Mystery in a Single Volume!) ... Doyle | The Complete Works Collection)
  • James Bond: The Authorized Biography of 007
  • Loop-d-Loop: More Than 40 Novel Designs for Knitters
  • Carte Blanche (James Bond Extended Series, #45)
  • Dark Web
  • Dead Man's Lane (Wesley Peterson #23)
  • Shroud of Evil (DI Andy Horton #11)
  • The Shroud Key (Chase Baker #1)
  • Diary Of An On Call Girl: True Stories From The Front Line
  • The Challenge for Africa
  • The Vanishing Box (Stephens & Mephisto Mystery, #4)
  • Never Ever (Eva Rae Thomas Mystery #3)
  • The Laughter of Dead Kings (Vicky Bliss, #6)
  • Wild Chamber (Bryant & May #14)
  • The Fressingfield Witch (Lawrence Harpham Murder Mystery, #1)
Lesley Thomson was born in 1958 and grew up in London. She went to Holland Park Comprehensive and the Universities of Brighton and Sussex. Her novel A Kind of Vanishing won The People's Book Prize in 2010. Lesley combines writing with teaching creative writing. She lives in Lewes with her partner.

The Detective's Daughter (6 books)
  • The Detective's Daughter (The Detective's Daughter, #1)
  • The Detective's Secret (The Detective's Daughter, #3)
  • The House With No Rooms (The Detective's Daughter, #4)
  • The Dog Walker (The Detective's Daughter, #5)
  • The Death Chamber (The Detective's Daughter Book 6)
“The power to concentrate exists in everyone, but few people can concentrate sufficiently to drive a motor car with complete mastery in all circumstances.
Roadcraft The Police Driver's Manual, 1960”
1 likes