Start by marking “Please Don't Tell My Parents I'm a Supervillain (Please Don't Tell My Parents, #1)” as Want to Read:

Please Don't Tell My Parents I'm a Supervillain

(Please Don't Tell My Parents #1)

Penelope Akk wants to be a superhero. She's got superhero parents. She's got the ultimate mad science power, filling her life with crazy gadgets even she doesn't understand. She has two super powered best friends. In middle school, the line between good and evil looks clear.

In real life, nothing is that clear. All it takes is one hero's sidekick picking a fight, and Penny
Published February 15th 2014 by Curiosity Quills Press (first published February 14th 2014)

Start your review of Please Don't Tell My Parents I'm a Supervillain (Please Don't Tell My Parents, #1)
Experiment BL626
This book was so fun I was downhearted when it ended. Penny and her two friends kept me guessing and excited with their capers. It took a couple chapters before the excitement started, but once it did I savored every page of it.

What I Liked

For characters who got carried away and into deeper trouble when they were trying to get out of it, Penny, Ray, and Claire were marvelously competent. They made Penny the leader of the team because she was super smart. Furthermore, they actually listened to
Mitticus
+Reto Popsugar #37. Un libro acerca de alguien con superpoderes+

3.7 mad-scientist stars

Superheroes, supervillains, aliens and fallen angels oh my

Penelope Akk has 13 y.o. , she is the daughter of 2 retired superheroes: Brian "Brainy" and Beatrice "The Audit" Akk; they are mathematical type of heroes, and everybody knows them. Los Angeles is like a sunny version of Gotham, you lift a rock and find a superheroe or a supervillain. Her best friends are Claire and Ray, kind of the geeky kids of their
David
Dec 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: supergenius 13-year-olds, oblivious supergenius parents, godlike superpowered librarians
I have a read a lot of superhero novels. There isn't a nerdier, more ridiculous premise, not even dragon fantasy or space opera, and also hardly a fantasy/sci-fi premise harder to do well as a book. Some authors just revel in the cheesiness of a four-color universe, others try to take them seriously, some tackle superheroes "scientifically" and make them just another science fiction concept.

Please Don't Tell My Parents I'm a Supervillain is more towards the four-color end of the spectrum, but
Lydia
May 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Has any of you ever watched Sky High? It's a super cool - and very underrated - movie about a kid whose parents are superheroes and he wants to be like them, but seems to be normal despite going to a high school designated to educate the future heroes and sidekicks. Well, the concept of Please Don't Tell My Parents I'm a Supervillain is pretty familiar in some plot points with that.

Penelope "Penny" Akk has it rough. Her parents are the retired heroes Audit and Brainy Akk, two super geniuses, and
Lubinka Dimitrova
The mad science contraptions were super fun, I really admired the author's inventive mind.
Eleanne
Dec 22, 2016 marked it as to-read
I LOVE THE TITLE AND THE CONCEPT SO MUCH!!!! I WANT TO READ IT ASAP!

photo tumblr_o3vepcSiIq1uveehpo1_500_zpsuaf0xdxh.gif
Coyora Dokusho
Read three times.

8/24/14

review... later... sleep... soon...

8/26/14 edited to add:

This. was. AMAZEBALLS.

characters = fantastic!

plot = RIVETING!

worldbuilding = Amazing!

There were so many moments of Epic. Cool.

and the maniacal laughter... THE MANIACAL LAUGHTER!!!!

I picked two quotes out of it which I felt conveyed teh awesome without spoiling a zinger or just spoilering in general.

I AM *>DYING<* FOR A SEQUEL!!!!

and my mad science spree has OFFICIALLY BEGUN!!!

11/23/14

I really love this book.
Eustacia Tan
Apr 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If you had the choice, would you be a superhero or a supervillain. I'm guessing most people will say "superhero", I mean, a lot of people are raised on Marvel/DC comics (I had... Teen Titans so I think that counts). Penelope Akk, the protagonist of this book, and the one asking you not to tell her parents that she's a supervillain, wants to be a superhero as well. The problem is, she's good at being a supervillain.

In a community of superheros and their kids (think of the movie The Incredibles),
Anne
Mar 28, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I requested a copy of Supervillain from Netgalley (in exchange for my honest review)because the title caught my attention and sounded like a fun piece of fluff, but the message it sends isn't good.

It starts off really well with Penny and her friends Ray and Claire being quite engaging and positive. Penny's obsession with becoming a superhero like her parents at an unnaturally young age does get a tad annoying, and when her powers start to develop a pattern of her blacking out and inventing
Bruce Gargoyle
Full review at http://thebookshelfgargoyle.wordpress... (April 9)

I received a digital copy of this book from the publisher via Netgalley.

Ten Second Synopsis:
Penny contemplates the major question facing superpowered individuals since the superpowers first appeared: will she use her powers for good or evil? Well, evil obviously. Duh.

I was hoping I'd absolutely love this book because it looked to be just the kind of book that would float my boat - supervillainy, gadgets,
Samantha
Mar 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: superhero
Penelope is the bomb. I *really* enjoyed this young mad scientist. She's smart and funny and real and sympathetic. The moments when she's inventing or fighting alongside her friends were exciting and often hilarious.

In this world, superheroes and super-villains are a known quantity. There's an organization for each side. Penelope is the daughter of two superheroes and has always expected that she will grow up to be a hero, too. But when her powers manifest, they seem…villainous. And that
Yossi
Mar 29, 2016 rated it liked it
I'm not sure what to think about this book. On the one hand the premise is interesting and the superhero world is very cool (kinda like a YA version of Astro City). On the other, this book is waaaay too long, waaaay to YA, and kinda feels like it was meant to be a Nickelodeon TV show. To be fair, it is labeled YA, but for some reason I thought it would resonate with me too as a long-time comic book reader. Nope. Guess I'm just OA (old adult).
YourFriendlyNeighborhoodSpidey
Dec 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s, fiction
My best friend recommended this book to me, and all was thinking through the first 100 pages is, this is so her. This is so her.
Not really ME, but so her.
And then the plot started, and it was ME.

So about the first 100 pages of this are world-building, but not in a bad way. Like, I mean the entire book could have been world-building like that and I thin it would’ve stood on it own. I mean, it was hilarious and awesome and you really got to know the characters REALLY well.

((It actually brings to
H.L. Burke
I laughed out loud in several places reading this. It's a unique take on super heroes and the world make sense without being overburdened with explanation and details. Plus the characters are believable.
It misses out on five stars because there was a short portion where I started to get incredibly frustrated with how the characters, especially the main, were sort of passively pulled from one situation to another. I think there was a theme that supervillainy was addictive or that they were out of
Cloak88
Aug 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, top-2016, sci-fi, ya
A charming superhero teen novel.

Penelope (Penny) Akk's world if full of heroes, villains and people with extraordinary powers. And she herself can't wait for her superpowers to kick in. Her are retired super genius parents superheroes so it's only a matter of time. And then they do and.... things get a bit hectic. Being a "Mad Scientist" and making gadgets left and right could just get into trouble. Especially if after just a little scuffle with the school primadonna, she get labeled as a
DMS
May 26, 2014 marked it as abandoned
I'm having a great deal of trouble reading this, which has nothing to do with the writing. You know what your fingers feel like after handling newspaper for a while? Whatever the cover of this book was printed with feels like this ALL THE TIME. Every time I pick it up to try reading it, I read the same few sentences and then put it down because I need to wash my hands.

Seriously hesitant to pick up anything else from Curiosity Quills Press because of this issue.
Yzabel Ginsberg
(I got a copy of this book through NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.)

I found this book to be a very entertaining and refreshing read, focused on the characters' adventures, and likely something I'd have thoroughly enjoyed in middle school—well, I did enjoy it now, after all. In my opinion, it definitely reaches its aim of providing younger readers with likeable characters, all with their specific traits. Penny, the mad scientist, whose power works in spurts of genius, and whose voice
Jen
Sep 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, read-2015
My 8-year-old daughter read this and loved it so much that she insisted I read it too. The supervillains are pretty fluffy and lightweight (more toward the capers & mayhem end of the spectrum rather than the wholesale killing & destruction end, though some darker deeds are mentioned in passing), so it's not too scary for young kids. If you prefer villainy to be taken more seriously, that's understandable, but this is not going to be the book for you.

In this book's world, superheroes and
Luke Barnett
Apr 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: superhero-read
I hated these characters. (Spoilers). They never actually show genuine interest in becoming superheroes and actually embrace supervillainy. They treat it like its a fun thing that kids do. But even when faced with near death, do they wake up? No! They go further into it! ARG!

That being said, I think alot of that is how the author imagines a group of middleschoolers who grew up in a society saturated with super-powered beings would behave.

Aside from the characters themselves, there are a lot of
Isaac
May 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
It was okay.

What I was expecting: A kid gains superpowers and decided to mess around with it while doing either actual supervillain stuff or in between things (e.g. just doing whatever she wants).

What I end up with: A kid gaining superpowers and for some illogical reasons, the kid and her friends went down the path of a supervillain. Despite supposedly being mature or smart, they aren't.

A lot of things just don't make a whole lot of sense. Penny is from a superhero family. The father is smart.
Fangs for the Fantasy
Jul 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Penny Ackk, daughter of super heroes Brian Akk and The Audit has been desperate for her super powers to finally kick in – and when they did they came in with a vengeance!

Of course, her dad thinks it’ll be years before they fully develop. So keeping them secret and then springing them on him as a surprise sounds likes a great idea. Until a little problem at the school science fair means she and her best friends kind of become Super Villains.

Ooops

And trying to change sides just digs them deeper in
A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol)
4.5

*Book source ~ Many thanks to Curiosity Quills for providing a review copy in exchange for an honest review.

Penny Akk is the 13-year-old daughter of two superheroes, The Audit (her mom) and The Brain Auk (her dad). She’s impatiently waiting for her super powers to manifest even though they may not do so for a few years yet. But wonder of wonders, they do pop into existence. Only, Penny has no control over them nor can she make them perform at will. Excited and disappointed that she may still
Eric Allen
Dec 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Generally silly and harmless fun. There are a few little nitpicks I have about it, but for the most part it's not too bad. The only thing that really annoyed me is that the author keeps talking about things that he hasn't really described or even mentioned before as if we should already know what they are. Past events, characters that just sort of show up that the characters seem to know, but have never actually been introduced before anywhere in the book. Things like that. It made me wonder if ...more
pdarnold
Yes, I give it 5 stars. Were there some cracks in the veneer - of course. Were there some problems with editing - not as many as I've seen in other books, but they were there. Was it too cute for cuteness sake - most definitely! And yet, I LOVED this story! I, and I am sure many others, could relate to these characters in one form or another, from Superhero to Supervillain. Most of the superheroes were the usual goody-goody types, but they had issues, weaknesses, etc. The same goes for the ...more
Sharon Bayliss
Feb 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review
I have to admit, he had me at the title. I think that the title and the premise are absolutely adorable. So, I had high expectations, but wasn't disappointed. The story is as fun and cute as the title suggests. Penny Akk is the daughter of two "out" superheroes and is desperate to gain her own superpowers. When her powers first show up, her parents think it's a fluke, and she won't really be a superhero for several more years. However, her powers just keep coming, and she decides to develop them ...more
Jane A Dark
Mar 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 Solid Stars!

So Penny is the daughter of two retired superheroes. She finally gains her powers; to create "Mad Science"

Both she and her parents are thrilled, but said parents and everyone else believes it will be YEARS before she will even begin to be able too control her powers.

They are wrong, and she begins inventing stuff that her two best friends; Ray (with a British accent) and Claire (daughter of retired (reformed) supervillain)

The plan is for her to learn to control her powers and then
Corinne
I requested this book off NetGalley on a whim after falling in love with the concept--what's not to love about a thirteen-year-old girl embracing her inner mad scientist-slash-supervillain?--and ended up with a big smile on my face for most of the book.

PLEASE DON'T TELL MY PARENTS I'M A SUPERVILLAIN is brimming with fabulous ideas, particularly Penny's excellent inventions and how she uses them, like--HA--the German translator. I also adored the descriptions of Penny using her power, the
J. Peters
I was a little disappointed when I finished this one. I was hoping to be really enamored by the story, but in the end, it felt too disjointed for me to get really into it. I think a part of that is to blame on myself - I know I gravitate towards stuff that's generally more heroic, especially when it comes to superhero stuff. And I know my personal tastes tend to go towards things that are more consistent in tone - this book kind of bounces around a bit on how it wants to deal with the ...more
Ron
Apr 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Set in LA (CA), but with super-heroes and super-villains, 13-year-old Penny Akk with her friends Claire and Ray are looking forward to getting their super-powers and being super-heroes. But fate in the the form of a idiotic super-powered classmate causes the would-be super-heroes to become super-villains! Boy, do they enjoy the mayhem the can cause. However, all is not fun and games as a super-villain mastermind blackmails them in regard to their secret identities. Can they carry out the ...more
Vivian Wolkoff
Nov 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a great book! I liked Penny and related to her - even though I don't have super powers myself. I do have to say it took me a while to read this book and get into it... but it wasn't the book's fault. I've been reading stuff so different from this story that it took me an extra moment to get into the swing of things.
This book is a fun, action-packed ride. Loved it!
One more thing: now I'm dying to play Teddy Bears and Machine Guns! I need to have this game right now!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Wearing the Cape: A Superhero Story
  • So Not a Hero
  • The Rules of Supervillainy (The Supervillainy Saga, #1)
  • Villains Inc. (Wearing the Cape, #2)
  • Born (The Dire Saga, #1)
  • Seed (The Dire Saga, #2)
  • Sensation (Kid Sensation, #1)
  • Time (The Dire Saga, #3)
  • Super Powereds: Year 1 (Super Powereds, #1)
  • DIRE: WARS (The Dire Saga #4)
  • Unstoppable Arsenal (Full Metal Superhero #2)
  • Arsenal (Full Metal Superhero #1)
  • Super Powereds: Year 2 (Super Powereds, #2)
  • Born a Queen (Lilith's Shadow, #1)
  • Dire: Sins (The Dire Saga #5)
  • Dire: Hell (The Dire Saga #6)
  • Superheroes Anonymous (Superheroes Anonymous #1)
  • Super Sales on Super Heroes (Super Sales on Super Heroes, #1)
I've been writing for a long, long time. A long, long, long time. Do you remember when dirt was invented? I was using it to scratch out stories. Getting published was harder, but now I'm hooked up with Curiosity Quills and I have real books in paper, and you should buy some!

As a writer my fascination has always been children's literature, especially children's lit that is also adult lit. For some

Please Don't Tell My Parents (5 books)
  • Please Don't Tell My Parents I Blew Up The Moon (Please Don't Tell My Parents, #2)
  • Please Don't Tell My Parents I've Got Henchmen (Please Don't Tell My Parents, #3)
  • Please Don't Tell My Parents I Have A Nemesis (Please Don't Tell My Parents #4)
  • Please Don't Tell My Parents You Believe Her (Please Don't Tell My Parents #5)
“And boy, the transformation. I had to feel bad for him, inheriting a power like this. He had all of the ugly. All of it. He hadn't left any ugly for anybody else.” 9 likes
“Sure, we had no audience but each other, but what kind of supervillains would we be if we didn't keep up the drama?” 5 likes