Start by marking “Echoes (The Echoverse, #1)” as Want to Read:
Echoes (The Echoverse, #1)

Echoes

(The Echoverse #1)

Washington
District of Columbia
United Republic of Earth

_____

Twenty-three-year-old Adem Adamend has it rough. His name is ludicrous. His friends are few. And the only thing his "kid genius" status has gotten him at the Interdistrict Bureau of Intelligence is a boatload of extra work with no credit in sight.

Then hotshot lawyer Victor Manson is burned to death in his own b
Paperback, 1st Edition, 220 pages
Published January 22nd 2014 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (first published January 7th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Echoes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Echoes

Blyss by J.C. CliffBlyssful Lies by J.C. CliffUna Historia de Ayer by Sergio CoboCircle of Five by Jan RaymondLost In Time by Bridgitte Lesley
New Indie Books
301 books — 503 voters
Stolen Songbird by Danielle L. JensenLiberty or Death by David        CookThe Iron Trial by Holly BlackHexed by Michelle KrysLittle Yellow Stickies by Rachael L. McIntosh
New Series (2014)
184 books — 399 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Echoes (The Echoverse, #1)
Mike (the Paladin)
Aug 07, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy
Well, if you like this I'm sorry. I thought for a while it would get a 2 as I was "holding my own" for a while. I figured I'd get to the end of the book. But eventually I just decided it wasn't worth slogging my way through the thing. Thus my hands tied by a commitment I made back when that if I wouldn't (or couldn't) finish a book it gets 1 star.

I mean...how could a book that opens with a dragon attack and continues with a world of people who have "special powers?, a world where fantastic threa
cersei lannister
Dec 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
5/5 – if you liked Inception and love Benedict Cumberbatch… I mean Sherlock as much as I do, then you’ll love this love child of sorts!
Twenty-three-year-old Adem Adamend has it rough alright. In a time and age where alliterative names are a norm and if you cross the wrong person you could be murdered by a dragon controlled by someone in a dream – or an echo, they like to call it. You’d think being the one of smartest people in the world you’d be safe, right? Wrong. Adem is an emotionally stilted
Sky
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book feels like a sci-fi meets CSI read, set in America a hundred years from now. A witty, entertaining, and exciting read!
Nicole M. Hewitt
Jan 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
4.5/5 Stars

This review and many others can be found on my blog - Feed Your Fiction Addiction

Echoes is an action-packed sci-fi mystery, full of twists and turns!

The negatives:

Not quite enough futuristic elements.
While there were definitely some interesting futuristic sci-fi elements in this book, I could have used even more! Besides a few interesting gadgets and people who change their appearance using mods, life in 2712 didn't seem that much more advanced.

What I LOVED:

Adem.
Adem was an incred
Teri
Jan 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
I've read a lot of indie books and I've got to say, from the cover all the way through to the end, this book rates in the top 1% with its eye-catching cover and polished, error-free writing. And the writing itself was engaging, flowing, and descriptive, providing my unimaginative brain with some amazing imagery.

Adem Adamend's sense of humor had me chuckling several times, even during some of the intense action sequences. He's a very likeable character I enjoyed spending time with and his talent
Arjaye Nitro
Feb 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Therin Knite's writing style is easy to comprehend, and free-flowing. I can easily relate to some of the banters and phrases he tried to convey. Over all, i enjoyed ECHOES. It was a new kind of reading experience for me. Fresh ideas as others say. It was full of actions and twists and turns set in a very distant future. I like Adem, Jin and Umbrella girl. But it lacks emotional touch that can add readers to relate more. Readers like me whom sensitive enough to know that slight romanticism will n ...more
Aubrey Wood
Jan 13, 2014 rated it liked it
The first thing that struck me about Knite's debut effort was its professionalism. Like the cover, Knite's prose is refreshingly polished, and anyone on the fence about reading indie/self-pub fare can rest easy. Fans of Neal Stephenson will find a lot to enjoy here. Those looking for a more cerebral read, however, may find Echoes falls a bit flat.

While there were moments of fine character work that shined through, overall the story lacked in emotional resonance and preferred to pile on the acti
Leslie Rewis
Jan 26, 2014 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.

Echoes was a cross between Sherlock Holmes meets Criminal Minds meets Douglas Adams (at least stylistically for Adams). For a first time author, this was a brilliant work. I'm not a fan of sci-fi, but I would suggest this novel to anyone looking for a quick and engaging year. I have to give props - I did not see the end coming. Typically, I can guess the "who-dun-it" but I was surprisingly thrown for a loop. The writing was good, didn't sound forced, not hideously descriptive, and I lo
Dianne
Jan 21, 2014 marked it as to-read

Click on Banner to Enter!
E.B. Thompson
Feb 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was hooked from the very first line. It was that good. The writing is excellent, typos nonexistent, the plot and characters believable. And that ending! Those last thirty or so pages were unexpected and made me laugh and cry. An amazing read, especially for a first time author. I can't wait for the sequel.
Therin Knite
Feb 18, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Sign up for The Knite Life newsletter to stay up to date on my books (and score some FREE stuff)! ...more
Aelvana
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Adem is an agent at IBI, a genius who can put together details to profile crime scenes and quickly find the culprit. But when a high-profile lawyer meets his death by dragonfire, Adem has the first case he's having trouble cracking. Where did the dragon come from? Where did it go? And who wants this particular lawyer dead? But as Adem keeps digging, he realizes his case encompasses something far beyond what he expects . . .

I dislike arrogant jerk characters, so Adem took a while to stop annoying
Aubrey Wood
Sep 13, 2020 rated it liked it

Elizabeth Mathis
Nov 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Washington
District of Columbia
United Republic of Earth

_____

Then hotshot lawyer Victor Manson is burned to death in his own back yard, and Adem finds himself using his unique skills to piece together the strangest crime he's ever seen. Strange becaus
Donna
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure if this book falls into the science fiction or fantasy category. Either way, I thoroughly enjoyed it as it is quite different from my usual high fantasy reads. I will say that I initially identified the main character as how I would envision Young Sheldon as an adult. Far more that the adult Sheldon in the Big Bang Theory.

I was intrigued at the idea of a government agency assigned to investigate rogue dreams that are capable of doing harm to the dream's people and places. There is
Charlotte Chavous
This story is a very interesting concept on dreams. The writing kept me reading to find out who the bad guy was and what the secret was. But, thus book didn't really blow me over. It didn't keep me engaged enough to keep reading the rest of the series.
Hw Huyler
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great enjoyable story, suspense and mystery that holds the reader

Great enjoyable story, suspense and mystery that holds the reader. A well written suspenseful story of dreams and the select persons who can make dreams do what they want.
Bill
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
secretive government agencies can go into dreams; dreams can bleed over into real life . Dragon!
Gary Carter
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good read.

I found myself enjoying the characters and their stories. My dreams have always been very real and this book was an enjoyable waking dream. Totally enjoyable. lol
Julie Malcolm
some where between 2 and 3 stars for this. It kept me engaged enough to finish it but it really was kind of weird.
Angela
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Interesting characters and technology. It felt very fresh.
Lucretia Hardesty
Very good book, I've also read book 2 in the series of what I assume is at least a 3 series story. The problem, book 3 was never written, sad really cause it is a very good series.
Gwynneth Ott
May 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's just a dream, right?

This takes daydreaming to a whole new level. Throw in a couple of spy agencies and a young flatfoot and you've got one hell of a story.
ashley  lloyd spanton
Feb 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
How often do you come across something that isn’t a straight up fantasy book but features a dragon as a primary element? Echoes by Therin Knite is more of a sci-fi, dystopian whodunnit than a fantasy novel, featuring people who pay good money to modify their bodies to extremes and have some pretty high tech gadgets that allow them to do some pretty amazing things. And a dragon, did we mention the dragron?

Echoes had us right from the get go just by mentioning murder by dragon. But that’s just whe
D.B.
Mar 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
BOOK REVIEW

Therin Knite has written an action packed book; ‘Echoes’. ‘Echoes’ held me captive from the beginning to the end. The characters are strong. The plot is strong. The writing is excellent!

‘Echoes’ is a fast-paced book, carrying the reader from one exciting experience to another. I found it hard to put the book down for the night. I wanted to read it all. Therin Knite writes action, betrayal, death, delusions, drama, dreams, murder, mystery, and suspicions throughout his first novel.

The
Robin
Jul 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
No sense repeating the summary, since that's been done plenty. Echoes is a compelling story and a great first effort from the author. I had to rush to Amazon and buy the next in the series to see what else can be done with this premise.

A couple of things drive me crazy about this book, though. Like so many centuries-away stories, very much of the 21st (or even the 20th) Century remains. Descriptions of city blocks or suburban homes sound very much like today, vehicles sound rather like advanced
Deborah
Mar 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Deborah by: Story Cartel
Shelves: story-cartel
I am a big fan of paranormal/sci fi investigator series starring geeky males who manage to save the (world, universe, humanity) despite their less-than-heroic backgrounds; think Charles Stross's Laundry Files or Jonathan Woods's Arthur Wallace series. Therin Knite's Echoes is a wonderful addition to this genre.

As is apparent from the Goodreads summary, Echoes takes place several hundred years from now, when America has become part of the United Republic of Earth. Knite drops several casual hints
Christoph Fischer
May 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
"Echoes" by Therin Knite is a very original, creative and ambitious novel.
Adem is a highly intelligent and gifted crime scene investigator who attracts the envy of his older colleagues and through his arrogance also their anger.
A change of jurisdiction complicates the murder investigation that Adem thinks involved a dragon.
Set several centuries in the future there are a lot of things which have changed but bureaucracy and human nature have not.
At the heart of the story is a great crime investi
D.R. Sylvester
Jun 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Flipping amazing, especially for a first book. It had my favourite mix: good characters (an overly and overtly intelligent intelligence agent, breaking the rules of rookie-hood by overachieving [making his senior colleagues look comparatively rubbish]), compelling world building (a post-post-apocalypse where humanity has more fancy technology than you can poke a designer cosmetic modification at), and intriguing plot (who is that lady with the sunglasses and the umbrella, and what’s the deal wit ...more
J.P. McLean
Jul 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Fascinating Premise...

I found this book through the author’s blog and was intrigued by its description. It takes place in the year 2712 in Washington, DC, United Republic of Earth. Adem Adamend is an under-appreciated, 23-year-old genius who solves crimes for the IBI (Interdistrict Bureau of Intelligence). When Adem identifies a dragon as the impossible suspect in the murder of a high-profile lawyer, the highly secretive EDPA takes over the case. But Adem can’t drop his interest in the case, an

• The Beautiful Ones
  • A Deadly Bloom (The Plague Bloom #1)
  • You Have Been Judged (Judge, Jury, & Executioner, #1)
  • Glimpse: A New World
  • A Reaper of Stone (A Reaper of Stone #1)
  • Rend the Dark (Rend the Dark #1)
  • The Atlantis Girl (The Atlantis Saga #1)
  • Who Killed the Bears? A Ghost Story - Inspired by True Events.: (Book One) The Legacy
  • An Unconventional Holmes: Three Unnatural Cases
  • Archangel Down (Archangel Project, #1)
  • Children of the Lens (Lensman, #6)
  • What Lurks Below (Hell Holes, #1)
  • Banded (Banded, #1)
  • Psychic Dreams (Glimmer Lake, #3)
  • Sense and Scent Ability: A Paranormal Women's Fiction Novel (A Nora Black Midlife Psychic Mystery Book 1)
  • Crossing in Time (Between Two Evils, #1)
  • Junkyard Cats
  • For Whom the Smell Tolls: A Paranormal Women's Fiction Novel (A Nora Black Midlife Psychic Mystery Book 2)
Therin Knite was born and raised in backwoods Virginia, USA. Currently in her mid-twenties, Therin holds a degree in English and Finance from the College of William & Mary and recently retired from the hustle and bustle of Washington, DC to return to the homeland and pick up the quiet writing life.

Therin spends most of her time (when she's not writing) dreaming up new story ideas, studying Japane

The Echoverse (2 books)
  • Epitaphs (The Echoverse Book 2)