Start by marking “Juniper Lane” as Want to Read:
Juniper Lane

Juniper Lane

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  132 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Mim Robinson never expected to find herself back on Juniper Lane, the opulent suburban street where she spent one hazy childhood summer, nor to be taken in by her aunt after a nasty break-up. She certainly didn't expect to find herself striking up a strange, unexpected friendship with the intimidating Nadia Bahjat, the only other twenty-something on the street. But now tha ...more
Paperback, First Edition, 289 pages
Published January 2016 by Big Bang Press

To ask other readers questions about Juniper Lane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Juniper Lane

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Juniper Lane
anna (readingpeaches)
rep: bi mc, poc lesbian li

OOH HEAVEN IS A PLACE ON EARTH

my favourite thing tho?? apart from this being a love story btwn a lesbian of color & a bi girl ofc (they actually used! the b word!)!! and apart from this being such a btf tale of growing up & childhood nostalgia & finding urself... so my favourite thing is how they were both broken & yet didn't wait for the other to save her but rather: they each were the push the other needed to save herself
Lauren James
Dec 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Lovely and romantic in a hazy summer kind of way. Intensely character focused, with a great critique of suburban America. I really enjoyed this one. Good work again, Big Bang Press!
autumn
2nd read:
i really cant recommend this highly enough. if you like gay ladies, if you like richly developed characters growing up and growing together, if you like beautiful, beautiful prose, i promise you'll love this book (almost as much as i do).

1st read:
dylan morrison is my favorite author ever oh my god. this book was so beautiful; the characters, the language, the falling in and out and in again - everything about this book was just absolutely gorgeous.
Sofia Soter
Dec 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I was very happy when I got the book, and I am even happier now that I've read it. After years of reading Kady's fiction online, it was touching to read this amazing novel, chock full of what makes everything she writes so incredible - interesting characters (so flawed, so confused, so real), beautiful prose, the right balance of drama & fun. Thank you, Big Bang Press!
Anastasia
Jan 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Mim is running away from her life and ends up in Juniper Lane. Nadia is forced to come home to Juniper Lane. They meet and it's pretty much hate at first sight. A meetnotcute if you will. Until it isn't.

I have to confess that I am incredibly tired of lgbtq media having to be about this whole coming out sob story. Not that it isn't hard or an important story but to me representation is seeing people like me in every day stories. In just a regular life doing regular things. Dealing wit
DeLani
May 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: do-not-own, gay
I read What We Pretend We Can't See earlier this year, and fell so in love with its writing, humor and character study that I sought out the author on social media, and found that she published this novel, and HAD to read it. (As I have already reread her earlier work many, many times in the space of just a few months.) I'm so glad I did.

This book's treatment of abuse, its way of discussing the complexities of human nature and the awful things we do to each other and treat others, even if we th
Shelby Smith
Jan 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Juniper Lane is testament to Morrison's talent for a character driven narrative. Through witty and subtly disarming dialogue, Morrison's characters are dynamic, colorful and utterly, scathingly -and most importantly- unapologetically human.

Juniper Lane is a bitter sweet look at suburbia and the uncertainty, the falsehoods and the jarring truths that are present in ourselves and in each other.

Well-balanced and atmospheric, you'll find yourself staying longer then you intended from page one unti
Katherine Fabian
Sep 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbt-plus, romance
A sweet, gentle, rather lovely romance between two women deeply hemmed in by who other people think they are and want them to be. The book moves at a slow, deliberate pace that really worked for me -- I found myself absorbed almost without realising it, and every step of the love story resonated with me.
Angela
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a lovely book! I was so excited to read this book because I adore the author's style. Mim and Nadia were flawed in different ways and I really enjoyed seeing them grow together.
Ally
Jan 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
This is a good book -- but not a very good romance novel. (if I could, I'd give it 2.5 stars because I feel like my massive 'eh'ness towards it overpowers most good feelings)

Some context: this is a piece of queer fiction published via a kickstarter project, which aimed to give fanfic authors a chance to publish their own original work. The author is this book is known by the web handle "gyzym," and I have been reading his work since 2005.

So, needless to say, I had a "shut
Jan 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
I liked this book a lot. Words can't express my delight at a queer romance - one where nobody dies or has an Angsty coming out even. Certainly there's a place for that, but it wasn't what I wanted and I'm glad Kady Morrison didn't go there. Instead we get two young women in my own age range struggling to handle personal issus in their lives and finding just one safe place for themselves with each other. The backdrop is a ridiculous suburban rich-person neighborhood that neither fits into very we ...more
Emily
Jan 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
I've been reading online works by Morrison for years now, and there's a very distinct way she's able to gut-punch you with her words, that this book delivers in abundance. I was kind of uncertain about the first few chapters (honestly probably b/c overidentifying with Mim, orz), but once you really start getting a sense of the characters and what makes them tick, it takes off.

It feels like a very personal piece of work, which doesn't just refer to the subject matter, but also in how
emily
it took me a long time to read this book. basically a whole month. this is not a long book and i am not a particularly slow reader. if i'd sat down and read, i could have devoured it in an afternoon if i wanted. but... i wanted it to last. i needed to take my time reading this story. savouring it was part of reading it for me. i needed this book. it came at a perfect time in my life, and i relate to it more than i knew i would going in. i... i don't actually have all the words to explain right n ...more
sarah
Apr 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

im basically in love with nadia wtf

this book was so good... I just finished it and I already want to reread it

all the dialogue and narration was really good, and the characters... also, whenever the characters laughed, it was at something that was actually deserving of laughter. I hate when characters laugh at something that isn't funny. all the stuff they laughed at was funny.

honestly im so appreciative of literally every detail, ex
Shane
Jan 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: queerio, fiction
3.5 stars for having some really good emotional through lines at the core of this book. The way that Mim and Nadia had to evolve around their hardships was really well done and properly painful and messy. A lot of the rest of the book felt like it relied on a set of story beats that were assumed more than they were shown. I just felt like there could have been more sinew in developing people’s relationships beyond the big emotional moments - particularly Nadia and Mim’s. It would have been easy ...more
Arielle W
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a cute story. The characters were great--flawed but lovable. It's really refreshing to read a story about two women who like each other without having to go through a bunch of coming out drama (which I still enjoy reading--it's just not the only story out there, you know?). The characters are in their 20s, but something it read like a YA novel (not that that's a bad thing). My main problem i that there wasn't as much romance as I would have hoped for. Also, both of the characters are a ...more
Merrilee
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I think about this book regularly and I have since I first read it several years ago. It's just such a stunning achievement of a book. I love it so, so, so much. I have never felt so seen as I had reading this. Please, please, please read this book. I can not recommend it enough. I nothing I can say is as good as the words inside it.
Charlotte
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
sometimes your favourite fanfiction author writes a novel and it's perfect. not often! but that's what happened here.
Alice
May 19, 2018 rated it liked it
This felt real and sad
Yue
Jul 27, 2017 rated it liked it
This book left me with strong mixed feelings! In general, I adored the things it clearly wanted to do and it had good writing, but something about it really didn't work for me. While I love to think about this story and how it looks from the back, I hated the experience of reading it. The illustrations by quaedam were gorgeous.

The theme from the first few pages on until the end is abusive relationships (domestic partners, friendship, family). It starts with Mim on the aftermath of le
KJ
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very character focused book that I honestly enjoyed. The satire is spot-on for life in suburbia, which was amusing to read about. The dialogue is fantastic and really pulls the whole thing together. The writing is fantastic and really pulled me into Mim and Nadia’s worlds.

There is so much complexity to the characters, and you see how much pressure everyone is under to perform and be perfect, and how their outer facades just hide how messed up they all are. It’s amazing. The cast of
Kristin Pistel
Dec 12, 2016 rated it liked it
I put off writing this review for a good while after finishing the book because I wasn't sure how I felt/thought about it. Overall, I liked the book and think the writing is incredible. I supported the kickstarter because I was familiar with the author's fanworks and a fan of her online profile.

This book was marketed as a romance and thus I couldn't help but feel let down when there wasn't really much romance at all. Sure, I appreciated seeing the buildup between the two lead women and how thei
Júlia
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Samantha
i remember being 17 in my last year of high school and feeling lonely and misunderstood and yearning so deeply for someone who would just get me. one day, i came across this one line in fanfiction that went "i don't want someone to get me, that doesn't work for me, because i don't get me. i don't think i even want to. [...]" and i still recall exactly how i felt when i first read it, how acknowledged and understood and not alone.

i'm sort of a grown-up now, and i'm so happy that i came across thi
Rae
Feb 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: readers of realistic fiction,readers of queer fiction,people looking for a fairly quick read
It took me a little while to get into the author's writing style, but once I did I couldn't put this book down. Mim and Nadia are so fleshed out and grow a lot throughout the book, and even the secondary characters like Ruth, Gale, and Nadia's parents were dynamic.

I found myself shipping and rooting for Mim and Nadia so hard! Their chemistry came through, which can be something difficult to do.

I did notice several typos over the course of the book, but they weren't too distracting (
Red
Jan 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Really liked Juniper Lane. The fishbowl aspect of a rich, fussy suburban neighborhood and the politics therein were done nicely. The main leads, Mimosa and Nadia, were well drawn and I enjoyed watching them slowly fall in love while navigating life and difficult families and backgrounds. I like how the love story was threaded into a bigger one, it didn't feel like the only point of the book was them getting together, like a lot of romance novels can be. Nicely balanced. Bonus points for Nadia be ...more
Kelly Krucki
Oct 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I've read this book four or five times and every time it fills me with delight. I have been reading Kady's writing online for a few years now and the way she puts together words and sentences to create something that brings out such emotion in readers is nothing short of amazing. This book is incredibly enjoyable to read and you feel every emotion the characters have. I would say that this book isn't very plot driven but rather you get to watch these characters grow and change and get to know ea ...more
Ellen E
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
loved this! Surprisingly complex characters in a plot less predictable and more complicated (and with more than 2 characters!) than most love stories, especially most queer love stories. It has its flaws certainly, but we need more books like this! Although I've never met an ohio suburb with so much racial diversity, everything else about this feels really real in a way that most love stories don't. And captures queerness, or even the variety of ways that romantic, platonic and sexual relationsh ...more
Veronica
Jan 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Not really my kind of book, but I think I liked it anyway? The writing itself was very good; I just don't have much experience with or very strong feelings about suburbia so the main thrust of the narrative missed me a bit. I was very glad to get the happy resolution at the end, and it felt like the right thing for the characters. The illustrations are gorgeous, and they definitely add that something extra! I was very impressed with the publication quality all around.
Andie
Apr 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was exactly what I have been looking for lately. Great writing, especially for a debut novel, combines with painfully real characters to ensure that I will await Morrison's next book with anticipation.
Jjazzrockes
Apr 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
So very good. Familiar and rhythmic, in so far as plot, but at the same time surprising and engaging. Both Mim and Nadia are highly relatable narrators - it's a story about really not knowing what you're doing, which was quite comforting. And ofc, a wonderful and satisfactory ending :)

• Written on the Body
  • Landing
  • The Only Plane in the Sky: An Oral History of September 11, 2001
  • Lost in a Pyramid & Other Classic Mummy Stories
  • High School
  • Dragula (Drag Queen Classics)
  • Clara Voyant
  • Legs Get Led Astray
  • The Gap of Time
  • Goodbye, Paris
  • Sleep No More: Six Murderous Tales
  • This Lie Will Kill You
  • Top Marks for Murder (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #8)
  • The Riviera Express (A Miss Dimont Mystery, #1)
  • Drag: Combing Through the Big Wigs of Show Business
  • The End of Temperance Dare
  • Bloodlust & Bonnets
  • The Argonauts
“You know, Mimosa,” Nadia says, the name beautiful in her mouth as it’s never been in anyone else’s, “I think we’ll manage,” and then she kisses her like she means it; like solid proof; like, finally, coming home.” 0 likes
“I’m sorry, Nadia,” Mim says, and she doesn’t know why, exactly, but they’re both gasping with laughter now, clutching their stomachs.
“I’m sorry, Mim,” Nadia says, all but howling.
“I’m sorry, Nadia!”
“I’m sorry, Mim!”
“You kids are really fucking weird,” Ruth yells from the living room, where she retreated with her own plate of leftover meatloaf some minutes before.
“We’re sorry!”