Start by marking “Jessi and the Dance School Phantom (The Baby-Sitters Club, #42)” as Want to Read:
Jessi and the Dance School Phantom (The Baby-Sitters Club, #42)

Jessi and the Dance School Phantom

(The Baby-Sitters Club #42)

Naturally, Jessi is thrilled when she earns the lead role her in dance school's latest ballet. But someone in class wants her out of the show. First Jessi's toe shoes are stolen. Then she gets all kinds of threatening messages!

What kind of ballerina would want to scare Jessi? The Baby-sitters don't know, but they're not going to let anyone get away with it for long.
Kindle Edition
Published January 28th 2014 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published March 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Jessi and the Dance School Phantom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jessi and the Dance School Phantom

Logan Hughes
Jessi is terrorized by a ballet classmate.

After Jessi is cast in the lead role of her ballet school's production of Sleeping Beauty, she begins receiving anonymous threatening notes and other acts of petty vandalism. Her toe shoes are stolen, and her spare leotard is cut up. At one point, she slips on an undoubtedly intentional puddle and hurts her ankle, and later she almost dies when a piece of scenery falls. Eventually, through process of elimination mostly not related to the BSC's halfhearte
Hester Rathbone
Jun 10, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: home
I feel almost embarrassed admitting this but every now and then, when I'm tired of reading my "adult" books or I'm just not feeling the books on my bedside table, I'll wander over to the stack of paperbacks that I have up for trade on PaperbackSwap.com and pull off one of those to read. Nearly all of them are BSC books. I grew up reading these stories and loving these characters. I've read almost the entire series and amassed quite a collection of books over the years. After going to the ballet ...more
Ciara
jessi lands the lead role of princess aurora in her dance school's production of "sleeping beauty". of course she does. because she's just that good. even though she's eleven years old. at the first rehearsal (which seems to be just jessi's regular dance class, with all her regular classmates, but they're studying the steps to the dance instead of general form & practice--i don't understand), jessi's toe shoes go missing. she has to slink into the studio barefoot, but she can't even really p ...more
Jenn
Jul 11, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bsc
Didn't we already have this storyline? Jessi gets the lead in the ballet and someone is threatened by her talent? Are we already out of fresh plots and starting to repeat? I hope not! At the end of class, Jessi finds out she will be playing Princess Aurora and all the other girls are jealous. Now, I know what you're thinking. You're thinking "My god, these are awful things, someone could get (even more) seriously hurt. I hope Jessi calls on her baby-sitting friends to help her solve this mystery ...more
Ashley
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, bsc, ebook, own, reread
For (I think) my eighth birthday, I got a pack of Baby-sitters Little Sister books, and I LOVED THEM. The Karen books were my favourite ever, and I obsessively collected and read them. I'm guessing this is how I came to own my first two Baby-sitters Club books, some well-meaning but ultimately misguided soul got me a couple of the BSC series, and the rest is history.

Out of the two BSC books I owned (this one and the next, Stacey's Emergency ), I don't really know which one I read first. The o
Shira
Dec 17, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
this is my first time reading this book!

in the primary (terrible) plotline of this book, ghost-written by ellen miles, jessi once again gets the starring role in her school's upcoming ballet performance, and once again the other girls are upset about it. seriously, this is tired already. anyway, someone keeps trying to sabotage her ability to perform. turns out that it's exactly who she suspects and nothing interesting or mysterious really happens. in the secondary (terrible) plotline of this bo
Swankivy
Apr 22, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Another mystery with contrived happenings. Jessi gets a great part in the ballet show again and all of a sudden she's on the receiving end of mean pranks and evil notes. She has this strange perception that her ballet teacher would just think she's a whiner if she were to, oh, report that she's getting NOTES THAT SAY "BEWARE" WRITTEN IN BLOOD-RED INK and HER DANCE OUTFIT RETURNED TO HER CUT TO PIECES, so she sets about figuring out the mystery on her own (with her Nancy Drew wannabe friends, the ...more
Cristin
When I was a little kid, I remember loving this one. At the time, I fancied myself a sort of sleuth--I loved mysteries. There was also something about being limber and able to dance that appealed to me, especially since (despite the fact that I read this when I was about eight or nine, and should have been more flexible than Gumby) I was about as flexible as a 90 year old man with a wicked case of arthritis...

Now that I've gone on that embarrassing detour...I'll stop writing.
Rebecca McNutt
As this series went on, the books started getting to the low point in their legacy, and it seems that they were being written as quickly as possible to make fast cash every month or so. This one was unoriginal, boring, filled with choppy sentences and there was a disturbingly limited amount of vocabulary considering the target age range.
lisa
Once again, eleven year old Jessi beats out older, more experienced dancers to take the lead in Sleeping Beauty. Only this time she receives threatening notes, and experiences vandalism of her things. Why should she bother telling her ballet school and parents when the BSC is on the case? I read this when I was nine and I loved it.

Things I remember from reading this as a kid:
This was one of the BSC books I read a lot as a kid, so I remember it pretty well. Part of the reason why I liked this boo
Alex
I took ballet for 9 years as a kid, so I always loved reading the ballet-themed Jessi books and living vicariously through her. So of course, I loved re-reading this one now.
Samantha
Yet another Jessi book that is super boring and that centers around her only real character trait: ballet.

Yawn. Let's move on now.
M.M. Strawberry Library & Reviews
Jessi is rewarded for her hard work, and someone is jealous of her. Haters gonna hate.
Harmony
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I LOVE the BSC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This was such a great book, I have never really read any of the books on Jessi and so i finally got to understand her. Plus I'm into dance so the book let me understand more about it.
Julie Decker
Jul 11, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Jessi gets the best part in the upcoming dance recital, but her elation turns to trepidation when someone starts harassing her. With threatening notes being left in blood-red pen and her dance clothes being stolen and cut to pieces, Jessi wonders if excelling is really worth all this risk, and worries that she may be in real danger. Can she and the babysitters figure out who's behind it?

This mystery plot was utterly unbelievable for me, for two main reasons: One, if someone is receiving "beware"
Lisa
So goofy and so fun. Jessi gets the lead role in the Sleeping Beauty ballet (surprise!) And someone starts sending her threatening notes and destroying her stuff.. which she chooses NOT to report, lest she look like a whiner.
In top of this startling mystery, the BSC run a pet show. But the kids if Stoneybrooke start fighting about which pets they will enter, and who will win the prize.
How can the babysitters handle this??
Seriously - I spent my day writing a report about the importance of layout
April

Awesome books that girls will love! And the
Rachel Brand
May 10, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, children, own
I was quite pleased to discover that this wasn't about an actual phantom, but some girl who was jealous of Jessi's part in the ballet production. Although I now realistically know that I will never become the prima ballerina of my eleven-year-old dreams, I still quite enjoy Jessi's books. However, this isn't among one of my favourite BSC books and is, like #44, blatantly ghostwritten. Some of these books just don't have their charm when you read them for the first time as an adult. 8/10
Rachel
Sep 20, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I forgot I had started this book.... While I was really sick, I picked it up again and finished it. As a series, I don't think the BSC holds up as well for me as an adult as it did for me as a child. Still, it IS addicting, and the characters are infectiously engaging, so perhaps I will finish the series afterall.
Maria Elmvang
Last time I read this I rated it 4 stars, but I have to take one off this time. For real, WHY do they not involve adults? They even have PROOF this time!

I still enjoy reading about ballet though, but the secondary plot line (about the pet show) bored me.
Nancy
Oct 31, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rereading
In which someone tries to kill Jessi but tragically fails.
Sally
Apr 29, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bsc, childrens
I usually liked the Jessi stories, and I also usually like ballet stories in general, but this one... gah, she got on my nerves. And also, guys, you're KIDS. TELL THE ADULTS FFS.
Maria Camp
Interesting, but predictable.

I enjoy Jessi's ballet stories, but the mystery aspect was not complex.

Still a fun story.
Justine
Apr 15, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is really good. I recommend it to all Babysitters' Club fans.
Moriah Baxster
Jan 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Tweens
I would never like to take dance class
Anne
Oct 12, 2011
Kaitee
Sep 18, 2011
Swimmergirl
Oct 23, 2009
Jesse...the Token Black BabySitter??? 2 7 Jan 06, 2018 07:00PM

• First Place (Sweet Valley Twins, #8)
  • Face-Off! (Girl Talk, #2)

The Baby-Sitters Club (1 - 10 of 131 books)
  • Kristy's Great Idea (The Baby-Sitters Club, #1)
  • Claudia and the Phantom Phone Calls (The Baby-sitters Club, #2)
  • The Truth About Stacey (The Baby-Sitters Club, #3)
  • Mary Anne Saves the Day (The Baby-Sitters Club, #4)
  • Dawn and the Impossible Three (The Baby-Sitters Club, #5)
  • Kristy's Big Day (The Baby-Sitters Club, #6)
  • Claudia and Mean Janine (The Baby-Sitters Club, #7)
  • Boy-Crazy Stacey (The Baby-Sitters Club, #8)
  • The Ghost at Dawn's House (The Baby-Sitters Club, #9)
  • Logan Likes Mary Anne! (The Baby-Sitters Club, #10)