Start by marking “The House on Poultney Road : based on a true ghost story” as Want to Read:
The House on Poultney Road : based on a true ghost story

The House on Poultney Road : based on a true ghost story

I hardly know where to start. How do you put such terror into words when the words I choose need to be real, not just a fabrication of a well educated imagination. I know that you may have your doubts and conclude with your own presumptions; and with no hard-evidence to offer, I am asking for you to explore and consider your deepest beliefs. I am unable to refer to this as ...more
Published January 8th 2014 by SCAMPS Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The House on Poultney Road , please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The House on Poultney Road

Stephanie Boddy
Feb 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I am bound to be biased as I have always loved the ghost stories behind The House on Poultney Road. I have grown up being told the stories by members of several generations of my family; stories that have bewildered and yet fascinated me. Stories that have made my blood run cold and yet offer me the faith and belief that I need at times.

The House on Poultney Road is based on my family's true ghost story that revolves around a home, not dissimilar to any other in Essex, but has terrifying secret
Mary
May 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really didn't know what to expect when I purchased this book. I was pleasantly surprised. I really enjoyed it. After reading it (in just a few hours!) I have so many questions. First off I really liked how the story covered a long period of time from the 1920's till present day. I was intrigued that Richard didn't reach out to a church for assistance to ask the entities to leave or contact a medium to try to figure out who the man in black was and his connection to his childhood friend's death ...more
Carol Peace
Mar 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won this book from a competition on the author's facebook page.This is an honest review.
I was a little surprised when I got this book as I wasnt sure what to expect and when I realised it was based on a true account of the going on at The house I couldn't wait to start it. This book is about the spooky goings on in the aforsaid house and I found myself quite involved, I couldnt wait to see what would happen next.It started with a visit to the house that has now had changes inside and brightene
DeAnn Thomas
Feb 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Well written tale

I love how the story flows. I have questions unanswered. Did Richard's childhood friend cross over? Why did the demonic entity choose Richard? Was a historical research of the home's previous occupants available or helpful to identify the man in black?
Roxana  Rangel
May 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Scary but.... there was something missing. I like it, I am not going to say to you that was not good. However to me it was a little slow, It really didn't have any ending or reason why, It was entertaining.
Dianne
Apr 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good read (supposedly true story), about the paranormal, ghosts, ouija boards, and seances. Covers the period from the 1920's to present day of a family in London. Very interesting and well written. I found it hard to put down!
Angie Rhodes
Feb 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
I have to say, this really was creepy, and it had me soo glad,that I didn't have a space under my bed! Well written, great true ghost story,one that you don't want to read on your own,at night!
Matthew Holman
The book started off good and has some potential but it never really took off. Its jumped around unnecessarily and the ending never explained itself.
Michael-owen Jeffries
it is a compelling story certainly a book i could not put down
Amy Ayliffe
Feb 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed reading this book, it is a must read
gail andersen
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good read

I enjoyed this book and admit it spooked me a few times. I hope that some of it was embellished a bit as it seems particularly scary to think absolutely all of it was a real account.
さくら 桜
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A complete page turner!

This book is beyond gripping. I couldn't put it down. Finished it very quickly because of this. Well worth a read. So well written. I love everything about this book.
Jamie Wasserman
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Definitely recommend if you like true haunting stories!

Super interesting and creepy. I read it less than a day! Author is a great story teller and I've already bought the book!
Sue Blanchard
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Creepy

I was hooked from the start.
A story that flowed really well and provides a chilling read.
Whether a believer of the paranormal or not, this book is worth a read.
Chloé Smith
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading The House on Poultney Road. It was a little slow to start I must admit however I ended up finishing it in a day. The story covered a fairly long time frame but still flowed really well which I thought was great - certain parts you could feel yourself grip the book a little tighter. There were a few questions left unanswered but not to a point where you couldn't enjoy the ending - i'm not sure if there is a sequel planned? Would make a great book for a reading group as th ...more
Barbara Watkins
Feb 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Title: The House on Poultney Road: based on a true ghost story [Kindle Edition]

Author: Stephanie Boddy
Publisher: Scamps Publishing (January 8th, 2014)
ASIN: B00HMDU8PA
Genre Fiction: - Supernatural

An Adventure into the Unknown

Author, Stephanie Boddy, takes the reader on a paranormal journey into the unknown. Based on actual events makes this read not only entertaining but also terrifying. The author introduces to the reader several family members – describes in great detail their horrifying person
kozettekaysmith
Feb 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Holy Ghost, ( Absolutely The Best Scary Read

I was absolutely blown away by this story. This Author ,Wow, I don't know if I've ever read anything quite like this book. When I say I love scary this did not disappoint me. You have to remind yourself this stuff really happened, felt the hair stand up and the goosebumps. I'm not usually spooked but I couldn't read this before bed. I could feel the terror of this family as if I were in the room with them. I did not want this book to end and I just hop
Linda
Nov 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Humans and ghosts living together.

I'm thinking that people move into a house, discover ghosts and their usual activities, accept it, and live on. Children growing up in a "haunted house" develop their perceptions and grow up.

It's like all spirits, living and dead, go about their routine for decades. Is this becoming more common now that more people believe that those unexplainable thumps, laughs, and chaos really are made by the ghosts?

So the stories passed down by families includes the daily
Denise
Sep 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was a book that I couldn't put down. Can't wait to read the sequel as I have unanswered questions. There was one part of the book that I especially want to know more about. Without mentioning it so as not to be a spoiler, I thought "ewww ... Gross and mega creepy!". It was during WW11 when Flo and Ellen took the boys & left London to stay in the house in Overton. Definitely passing this book on to my friends to read so I can discuss it with them! Thanks Stephanie for this story! Loved i ...more
Paul Vardy
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I used to be a real bookworm in my teens, but stopped reading altogether in my early twenties. I'd not read a book for probably fifteen years when I read this story,but this book changed all that!

The house on poultney Road and it's sequel 'it Found me' are the reason I got back into reading and are still two of my favourite ever books. Nothing else has ever made the hair on the back of my neck stand up like these pair!!
Jackie Bessford
Apr 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Really liked this tale. It was intriguing and different. Loved the characterisation and the way the unbelievable events were enveloped within a normal family unit. The time span was also a good way to reveal the different effects on the individuals that witnessed the 'apparitions' or noises. Wish we knew who the man in black had been ! Poor Ellen!
Rosita Sanchez
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love the way this story was written .

I found this story to be direct and interesting. I have experienced similar things ... and I share the same gift as Richard also ... and this story rings with truth. I highly recommend this book to anyone who is interested in the paranormal. I also want to thank the author for sharing his family's experiences so compellingly.
Peach Berry
Jun 09, 2016 rated it it was ok
Having been intrigued to read this true story for a while, I was interested in the characters and the lineage of stories that the author shared. Sadly I didn't enjoy the story as much as I had hoped, I found the writing itself a little clunky and some of the filler sections a bit unnecessary.

All in all an interesting plot.
ERIN
Aug 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Good spooky read.

Great read. At points I would get a little too scared that I would have to put the book down and walk away for a little while before beginning to read again. Haha. But overall great book and I would recommend to those who enjoy spooky stories.
Bettie lapham
Oct 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed it!

This is the quintessential ghost book! It is a book that I couldn't put down. But I was scared to read it at night. Halloween is coming up in a few weeks and this is the perfect book for the season.
Bridget Holbert
Nov 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good read

After a few chapters I was hooked! Great haunted house story! The only reason I didn't give it a 5 star is because it ended a little too abruptly but other than that it is very interesting and well written.
Hayley
Mar 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A very scary true story. Well written and easy to follow, I enjoyed it very much. I think this story will play on my mind for some time. I read most of it in bed at nights before sleep and it made me nervous to go to the bathroom in the dark!
Leslie
Sep 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great story

This story was very well written and once I started reading I couldn't stop. I highly recommend reading this book,especially if you love the paranormal or are just looking for a good ghost story.
Jade Monaghan
Dec 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A spine tingling tale. The fact that this is a true story adds to the overall spookiness of the story. Stephanie Boddy has quite clearly written a scary insight into the world beyond our own.
Nancy A
May 27, 2014 rated it liked it
OK

The story was good but it was awfully long winded.Could have been a short story.
5 more words required end
The House On Poultney Road...Any good? 1 2 Nov 24, 2014 01:25PM
Ask Stephanie Boddy: What did you love about The Hoouse on Poultney Road? 1 2 Feb 19, 2014 07:34AM
Ask Stephanie Boddy: Paranormal novels 1 3 Feb 18, 2014 06:25AM

• Murder on the Cape Fear (Magnolia Mysteries, #6)
  • Unhinge Me
  • Curves and the Sheriff (Coldwater Springs #2)
  • The Wayward Daughter (Shadow Souls MC Book 1)
  • Rocked in Pieces (Rocked, #10)
  • My Thomas: A Novel of Martha Jefferson's Life
  • Ride Hard, Ride Fast (Seven Devils MC, #1)
  • Chicken Every Sunday: My Life with Mother's Boarders
  • Where's the Groom?
  • Ghostwriter
  • Walker (Bad Boys of X-Ops, #1)
  • The Valley Of Decision
  • Champagne and Bullets (Military Moguls, #1)
  • PRIDE  (The Brody Bunch #1)
  • Trust in Me (Dark Riders MC #1)
  • Dating Husbands
  • Embattled Ever After (Lost and Found #5)
  • Jack of Hearts (Desert Sons MC, #1)
Writing has always been my passion and horror my obsession.

I always knew that I wanted to be an author, with a degree in Media & Journalism and career in copywriting and marketing; but working full-time and running my own business, it was more a matter of when, than how.

The House on Poultney Road was born many years ago when I was told ghost stories by my family about the occurances inside t