Start by marking “And Away We Go!” as Want to Read:
And Away We Go!

And Away We Go!

Mr. Fox is going to the moon! Away he goes in his hot air balloon. . . . But wait! Can Elephant come too? Sure! Let's bring along some pizza. What about Giraffe? And Squirrel?
Everyone is welcome in Mr. Fox's balloon, but look out—will everyone fit?
In the tradition of classic cumulative tales like Mr. Gumpy's Outing, Migy's And Away We Go! is an unforgettable debut
Published October 28th 2014 by Henry Holt and Company

To ask other readers questions about And Away We Go!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about And Away We Go!

Start your review of And Away We Go!
Abigail
Feb 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Readers Looking for Fun, Beautifully-Illustrated Picture-Book Romps
When Mr. Fox's balloon is delivered, our vulpine hero hops in and away he goes in this beautifully-illustrated progression tale. As one after another of his animal friends asks to go along for the ride, each bringing something, from food to music with them, it turns into an aerial party. But when bird lands on the balloon basket, it's one party-goer too many, sending everything falling earthward. Fortunately, fox is more concerned about partying with his friends, than reaching the moon...

Edward Sullivan
Oct 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A predictable ending but getting there is fun. Great retro illustrations.
Kristine Hansen
Aug 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
I liked this somewhat silly story about too many animals in a single hot-air balloon to really be reasonably safe to go to the moon. :D Very cute, the illustrations were just perfect for the book. It's the sort of story you can use with your child to help them in learning how to predict what happens next. I like those kinds of questions as they lead so nicely into reading comprehension later in life.
Kristina Jean Lareau
3.5 Stars

Mr. Fox is going to the moon and doesn't say no to any friends that want to join him.

The bright and vibrant colors and nostalgic backgrounds make for a dynamic style and rendered illustrations. The cast of animals is extensive and well-characterized by their expressions.

The story itself is just ok, which is why the star rating is only 3 instead of 4.
Sara Grochowski
Mr. Fox's hot air balloon has arrived and now he's off to the moon! Except Elephant wants to go too. And Giraffe. And Squirrel. And maybe a few other friends too. Will everyone fit in the balloon? Readers will have fun guessing who will want to join next (and what silly item they'll want to bring along!). Colorful, retro illustrations accompany the simple, repetitive text.
Jess
Jan 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: children
I liked the colorful but nostalgic illustrations. The story is cute.
Justin Bloch
Nov 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
We loved this one. I really enjoyed doing a boisterous British voice for Mr. Fox.
Amy Brown
Dec 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Fantastic colors! Wonderful illustrations. "Wait, Mr. Fox!"..."Can I come too?"
Kathleen
Nov 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Mr. Fox is planning his trip to the moon and it's finally time to go. The one thing he didn't count on, everyone else wanted to go. Luckily, Mr. Fox is much more generous than me, and told everyone to come along. Imagine a hot air balloon ride with giraffes, squirrels and elephants. And of course at the end, Mr. Fox learns it's about the journey, the company....and not really the destination.
Emily
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: acls, kids, storytime
Fun for toddler story time.
Castle Spooktacular
Dec 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
really cute book about inclusion and an adventure.
Ginny
Oh I loved this picture book, and want to create a storytime just around it!

Popsugar: "Book with pictures"
Homegrown Reader
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
Nov 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Extremely beginner readers
Check out more picture book reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

Mr. Fox has specially purchased a hot air balloon to go to the moon! Off he goes, but as he runs across his friends they excitedly ask to come along and they'll bring a treat too! Sure, says Mr. Fox as elephant, and their other friends pile on... Will they make it safely?

This book was a lot of fun! My nephew and I were attracted to the bright poppy colors and the retro nostalgic vibe of the drawings. It looked like one of the host
Kenzie Wright
Jan 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: wright
Wright-Book Reviews
Ornia, B. N. (2014). And Away We Go: New York, NY: Henry Holt and Company, LLC.

Review 1
Wisman, K. (2014, November 1). [Review of the book And Away We Go, by M. Ornia-Blanco]. Booklist. 111(5). Retrieved from Novelist Plus database.

Weisman states that And Away We Go is appropriate for PreK- 2nd Grade. She says young listeners may not notice the prominent works of art but are sure to appreciate the book’s cumulative repetition, attention to detail, and over all joy. She says it’
Kevin Doyle
Aug 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Our 6 year old immediately dove into this book when we brought it home from the library and he loves it so much. The bright, vibrant, vintage-style illustrations are fabulous. Creating a unique, mesmerizing '40s or '50s view of NYC. Each animal is expertly detailed and you must watch each of their fun faces as the story progresses because their individual expressions show so much.

It's a share the love, be inclusive, bring everyone in on the fun type of story and at the end, we find that even
Emmaline MacBeath
May 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Mr. Fox decides he wants to take a trip to the moon so he buys a hot air balloon. He takes off, but a friend sees him and wants to join the journey. Fox tells elephant to climb aboard and they begin again. This happens over and over with more friends until the balloon basket becomes too heavy and the cords snap. The balloon floats away to the moon and all the animals float safely to the earth where they have a party and decide to try again some other time.

The illustrations are vibrant with
Jennifer Strong
Jan 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, children-s
What a cute and colorful book! Mr. Fox receives a hot air balloon in the mail. His goal is to fly to the moon, but before he gets very far his friends ask to join, one by one, until the balloon can no longer hold them all and they come tumbling down from the sky.

It has a great message about friendship and I was surprised how welcoming Mr. Fox was. He never got annoyed or frustrated that his original plan to fly to the moon was overtaken by friends. In fact, he says, "It's much more fun to be
Ro Menendez
Apr 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Plans sometimes change, and for the characters in this book, who set out on a journey to visit the moon, this proves true. Fox is off to visit the moon in her balloon. Along the way she answers yes to all the friends who want to be part of her adventure who somehow add an element of fun to it; but there is only so much weight an inflatable balloon can carry…. Some of the characters feel disappointment but in the end the greatest adventures are those shared with friends. The cityscape ...more
Barbara
When the other animals spot Mr. Fox heading for the moon in his hot air balloon, they ask to go along. The generous animal is quite accommodating and says there's plenty of room for everyone. As they all climb aboard, they bring food, drinks, musical instruments. But all that weight becomes too much when Bird hops aboard, and the balloon's strings snap, sending the passengers back down to the ground. The ink and pain illustrations are bright and colorful, and will make readers smile as the ...more
Romelle
This is an adventure in a hot air balloon that's a page-turner with each passenger that enters the balloon. The silliness adds to the fun. The predictable conclusion (what else would you expect with an elephant, rhino, giraffe, etc. in a small hot air balloon) will warm your heart. A very simple, linear plot with the refrain, "Away we go!" Lots of repeats, which make a great read-aloud for young children.
Roben
Nov 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
The 3 year old loved this story! I know when we read a story half a dozen times, it's worth a solid four stars. I think it would be a good read aloud for a flying or balloon themed story time. Especially if you can incorporate different voices for the animals. Then make a craft with a paper cupcake holder for the basket of the balloon - a few pieces of yarn and a cut out oval balloon shape.
Mary
This is a predictable book for young children about several friends who want to go on a journey together but are prevented from doing so by their umbrella breaking under their weight. It has a lot of repetition and familiar creatures and helps promote the idea of prediction of future events in the story.
pati
And away I go! I was disappointed that Fox's adventure got sidetracked by so many animals and when the balloon snapped off and floated away I was shocked. I fully expected the balloon to sink to the ground since so many animals and their cargo were on board. Fox ends up saying he'll have to go to the moon another day -- how? -- his ballon has flown away!
Ruth Anne
Jan 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: up-to-7, 2015
Mr. Fox orders a hot air balloon to take a trip to the moon. He welcomes many animal friends to join him as he begins to fly away. Then the unexpected happens but the optimistic Mr. Fox is not disappointed in the end. Retro style detailed illustrations are set against the cityscape the black night as the balloon rises. A fun read aloud!
Ms Threlkeld
Jan 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Delist fully illustrated tale of a fox who gladly shares his balloon with other animals as he attempts to fly to the moon. Young children will love shouting out "And away we go!" after each new animal joins Mr. Fox. Also good for making predictions and talking about theme.
Sharon Lawler
Mr. Fox sets off for the moon in his balloon, and at every turn he welcomes friends and the things they bring. Storytime attendees will love helping with the repetitive line "And away we go!", and they will have no problem with the ending, "Away it goes!"
Amynicole
Feb 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: little-ones
Fun book with a whim of adventure. what child doesn't dream of going to the moon?! great message of inviting others to play along, great retro style illustrations.
Leah
Great illustrations and a simple story about more and more animals getting into a hot air balloon on its way to the moon
Ampersand Inc.

• Bunny's Book Club
  • The Paper Princess Finds Her Way
  • Madeline Finn and the Library Dog
  • Uncle Peter's Amazing Chinese Wedding
  • When Life Gives You Pears: The Healing Power of Family, Faith, and Funny People
  • My Two Blankets