Start by marking “The Vault of Dreamers (The Vault of Dreamers, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Vault of Dreamers (The Vault of Dreamers, #1)

The Vault of Dreamers

(The Vault of Dreamers #1)

WELCOME TO THE PRESTIGIOUS Forge School of the Arts, where every waking moment of the students' lives is televised. For twelve hours a day, every class, conversation, and gesture is broadcast to millions of viewers. And for twelve hours each night, the students undergo an induced sleep, proven to maximize creativity.

Rosie Sinclair has staked all her dreams of becoming a fi
Published September 16th 2014 by Roaring Brook Press

To ask other readers questions about The Vault of Dreamers, please sign up.
Julia
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Leah Slippy
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of The Vault of Dreamers (The Vault of Dreamers, #1)
Angela
Sep 04, 2014 rated it did not like it
2.5/3
I didn't love it but I definitely didn't hate it. It really didn't make me feel much of anything. The characters are just ok. Rosie seems like she might be a super strong character later on maybe in like book two or three but right now she's just kind of so so. Linus seems really adorable, cute, and probably the most likable character in the story, but really that's about as much as I can say about them. I didn't really have a special bond or connection with either of them. Come to think of
Stephanie
Apr 13, 2014 rated it liked it
It could have been great mash-up of How to lead a life of crime and Unwind, but it wasn't up there with the violence and it lacked a strong disturbing factor. In comparison it was very very very soft. Like cloud or pillow soft. Or cat soft.

description

It seemed very much like a kid book (6th grade level), not sure if older readers would enough it much. Although the main character Rosie Sinclair has a interesting back story of how she got into the prestigious Forge School, it wasn't enough to make me feel a
Suzanne
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
That was weird. But a good, interesting weird. I have been interested in reading this trilogy for awhile now but have not gotten around to it. I seen the first two books at my library this week so grabbed them to read since the final book comes out at the end of this month (August 29, 2017). I am glad I did because I am actually very fascinated by this plot. Very strange and intriguing!
Wendy Darling
3.5 stars I quite liked this one--cool future tech, interesting characters, and engrossing plot. I'm not sure how I feel about some elements of the the ending, however, as the guardianship stuff seemed pretty farfetched (I know, I know, I can buy dream-mining, but there's got to be some logic even within fantastical circumstances), and I'm not clear on exactly what happened in those final moments. A stronger finish would have been better, as well as a little more detail/development with the step ...more
TheBookSmugglers
Feb 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Everybody who’s anybody wants to get into The Forge School.

The elite institution for a high school degree in the creative arts, Forge is not only a school, but an immersive experience. From the thousands of applicants every year, only a group of 100 are admitted into the freshman class – and of those 100, only the top 50 are allowed to continue their education.

Who determines the top 50 and the cuts?

Why, the viewers, of course!

You see, Forge is more than just an incubator of creative geniuses of
Rashika (is tired)
The Vault of Dreamers was an interesting book to say the least. I didn’t love it to bits and pieces but it was definitely something that got the wheels turning in my head. It’s a book written more to mess with your mind than to actually provide answers so if that’s not your thing, you may want to give this book a pass.

Rosie Sinclair isn’t the brightest thing out there but she served her purpose. That said, there were times when I just wanted to shake her. She could be so impulsive at times and d
Marjolein

So, how does one bring Hunger Games to Art School? By making it a reality TV series popularity contest. The main characters is somewhat surprised she was selected for this super prestigious art school, and will do whatever it takes to stay in the game (aka the most popular kids on the show). While it is strange that a reality show determines who graduates from Art School, it is not per se evil and it is known that many people in the end don't get to finish it.

What made this particularly
Lily ☁️
Halfway through writing this review everything got deleted, so review to come when I find the time.

Blog ¦ Bloglovin’ ¦ Tumblr ¦ Instagram
Carina Olsen
Apr 12, 2014 rated it did not like it
Oh, I tried. I really did try to love this book. But seriously. I could not. Not at all. I'm sorry to say that I didn't like this book one bit. And my review will most likely not be all that positive. Just saying. As I'm also giving this book a one star rating. If it weren't for my print ARC, I would not have finished the book.

I will try my best to explain how everything went wrong in this book. But honestly, I just want to forget about it all. And that ending was fucked up. Truly. So there shou
Sarah Elizabeth
“For your own sake, don’t tell them about any of it.”

This was a YA sci-fi story, about a group of kids living in a school which was part of a reality show.

Rosie was an interesting character, and she certainly had determination. Every time someone doubted her she just fought harder against them, even when fighting wasn’t the best option!

The storyline in this started off being about the reality show, and about Rosie getting enough points to make it into the final cut, and then went on
Pam Victorio
Jul 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Loved it till the last page. The ending wasn't subjectively to my liking. Great writing.
nat.
Sep 02, 2017 added it
Rosie’s journey goes from an artistic hopeful to a complete cuckoo's nest.

so if you're a fan of unsettling endings that keep you thinking long after you close the book, then this is for you, amigo.

... also, where the hell is Linus?

I guess we'll find out in the next episode of What The Bleeping Fuck It's Going On Here?! 🕵🏻‍♀️
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Jun 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
I am always on the look out for something different and interesting and most of all fun. A book that keeps me guessing and wondering and eagerly turning the pages. O'Brien delivered on all aspects and even went further and made me think, really think about the what ifs.

I don't honestly even know where to begin to describe how unusual, imaginative, and thrilling this book was to read. It kept me on my toes and so eager for more. At the same time I had to stop and think about each passage I read,
Brittany
Jun 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This review and others can be found at my blog: http://www.spacebetweenthespines.com/

4.5 Creepishly Awesome Stars!

Dreams have always been source of mystery for mankind. There have been theories surrounding the nightly visions for hundreds of years, if not more, as well as countless studies from various disciplines – form cognitive psychology to biology. Yet, despite all the studies, dreams remain elusive and secretive. Every one of us dreams. Sometimes we remember them upon waking and sometimes
Zoe
Sep 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: dystopia

The Vault of Dreamers was an entertaining novel, but unfortunately, it wasn't much more than that. I felt a bit indifferent towards the characters and the ending despite my love of the premise itself.

Welcome to Forge - a prestigious arts school where every moment of the student's lives are televised on a famous reality show. Half of the day is spent with the children broadcasted in their classes; the other half the children spend sleeping to help "enhance their creativity."

Our story follows
Giselle
An Advanced Reader Copy was provided by the publisher for review. Quotes pulled from the ARC may be incorrect and may be subject to change.

People on Twitter were really excited about this one and I never even heard about it until all the flurry that was made at BEA earlier this year. As soon as I finished reading the synopsis, I knew I had to get it in my hands. Dystopia within a reality show? Sign me up!

I thought this was a great start to a series. Living at a boarding school, living your life
Lauren Stoolfire
The Forge School is one of the most prestigious art schools in the country and The Forge Show is one of the most popular reality television programs, as well. The reason is because the students lives lives are broadcast live to the viewing public, and their popularity rankings determine their time at the school. The students even have a mandatory twelve hour sleep cycle to help boost their creativity. When Rosie, a first-year, decides to skip her sleeping pill one evening, she realizes that ther ...more
fleur ☆
Oct 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
The full review is on my blog! Click here to be transported to IS SHE CRAZY OR ON TO SOMETHING? | THE VAULT OF DREAMERS BY CARAGH M. O'BRIEN.

A reality show in school? I'm worried enough about my grades now without having to worry about what countless, unamed people over the interweb think of me. Although being a teenager, we tend to think that everyone's watching us anyway. This just kind of brings it to life!

keypoints:
• the protag is called rosie
• she's a filmaker
• there are camera's everywhere
Heather *Undercover Goth Queen*
This story is set in an art school that doubles as a reality show. That sounds like my kind of fun! Except not really because I would 100% be at the bottom of the popularity ranks and get kicked off the show.

I loved this book! I meant to write a review when I first read it... two years ago... but I never did and now I can barely remember anything important. But I do remember enjoying the MC and her mission to rise through the ranks. The plot itself turned out to be really interesting, especially
Alyssa
Aug 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014-releases
***Review posted on The Eater of Books! blog***

The Vault of Dreamers by Caragh O'Brien
Publisher: Roaring Brook Press
Publication Date: September 16, 2014
Rating: 3 stars
Source: ARC sent by the publisher

Summary (from Goodreads):

The Forge School is the most prestigious arts school in the country. The secret to its success: every moment of the students' lives is televised as part of the insanely popular Forge Show, and the students' schedule includes twelve hours of induced sleep meant to enhance cre
Mike (the Paladin)
Sep 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-fantasy
May I just sigh here? This is a pretty good story and I'm interested enough to at least send to the library for the 2nd book in the series. That said...sigh.

This book feels SO young. I've mentioned before that YA books can be YA, yA or Ya. In other words a book may be more Youth oriented, Adult oriented, or somewhat balanced. This one seems so very young to me. Our protagonist gets into some very adult troubles (view spoiler).

So my recom
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)
This book was one of those that I simply could not put down. It kept me up well into the night, long past when I should have gone to sleep. I was completely immersed in it, from beginning to end. Since I was reading an ebook, I was absolutely floored when I realized it was over 400 pages, because it simply did not feel long in the least. It sped by, in a good way.

The setting of the book is The Forge School, which is both an elite art school and a reality show that allows viewers to decide who st
Chapter by Chapter
Jun 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
I wasn’t entirely sure what I was going to think of The Vault of Dreamers by author Caragh M. O’Brien. I’ve never read any of the author’s previous works but quickly looked up her Birthmarked novels on Goodreads and saw relatively positive reviews, so I was ready for anything. I can honestly say that the Vault of Dreamers isn’t at all what I expected it to be but it was definitely an experience.

In The Vault of Dreamers our protagonist Rosie Sinclair is attending the Forge School, an elite school
☆Stephanie☆
**I received a copy of this book for free from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review**
Caragh O'Brien is one of my favorite authors. I loved the Birthmarked series, and I have been waiting to read Vault of Dreamers for a LONG time.
I loved every moment of this book: there is a blend of reality and illusion, and you are constantly wondering whether the main character, Rosie, is really seeing the things she sees, or if she is losing her mind.
Rosie attends the prestigious Forge School, wher
Sharon Mariampillai
This was an okay read. The story was good, but there were moments where I was bored. Also, there were some weird moments in the book as well. The characters were okay. I liked Rosie the most out of all of the characters. I wish the book was more fast-paced. I did like the way the book was about kids living in a school as part of a reality show, and the conspiracy theory. The ending was okay. I am interested to see what happens in book 2. Overall, an alright read.
Nafiza
Aug 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
3.75

This was quite fantastic. Heavy on the action and light on the romance--not that there wasn't some of that present. The ending was brilliant and left me wanting the second book immediately. I don't mind waiting for it though-as long as it is as fantastic as this one. We will see.
Claire is looking for Bloodlines series ARCs
This 1995 film sounds similar to the concept in this series.
description

"...this visually-striking fantasy film concerns a deranged scientist who kidnaps orphan children in an attempt to slow down the aging process by stealing their dreams."

OLD REVIEW from 2017:
My rating: 3.5/5

I didn't know I was going to keep reading. But I highly recommend have to keep reading. It kept getting so much better after, well, you read most of the chapters. In a way, I don't think this was 'fast-paced.' I prefer to call it
Jess at Such a Novel Idea
3.5/5 stars

I've never read O'Brien's Birthmarked series, but it is one that has been on my 'list' for years. Even so, the moment I saw the synopsis for this book I knew it was something I HAD to read. There is something I LOVE about a good boarding school book and I will pick up a book almost instantly if I know there is a good mystery going on. Going into the story, I knew that the reactions to the book had been very love/hate. Most of the people I heard from didn't like the book, which I was a
Ashley
This was awesome! It took me on quite a ride that I very much enjoyed. This book starts off with a premise of boarding school meets Big Brother. The students are filmed all day and their popularity rank is determined by how many people view their feeds. Rosie's first challenge is to survive the first 50 cuts, so she can stay at the school. That whole idea of being filmed 24/7 is interesting to consider. That whole feeling of never being truly alone.
Then the story morphs into exactly what is happ
Brooke ♥booklife4life♥

In Depth

Best Part:
Someone kicks it.
Worst Part: SLOWWW MOVING
Thoughts Had: Can we finish this yet, or now, or now

• The Originals
  • The Offering (The Pledge, #3)
  • The Essence (The Pledge, #2)
  • Fate of Flames (Effigies, #1)
  • Perfected (Perfected, #1)
  • Hungry
  • The Fox Inheritance (Jenna Fox Chronicles, #2)
  • Fox Forever (Jenna Fox Chronicles, #3)
  • Legacy of Light (Effigies, #3)
  • Normal: A Mother and Her Beautiful Son
  • Trial by Fire (Worldwalker, #1)
  • Afterworlds (Afterworlds #1)
  • Pawn (The Blackcoat Rebellion, #1)
  • The Silence of Six (SOS, #1)
  • The Tomb
  • Parallel
  • Mindwalker (Mindwalker, #1)
  • Redemption (MILA 2.0, #3)
Caragh M. O'Brien is the author of the BIRTHMARKED trilogy and THE VAULT OF DREAMERS series, both from Macmillan/Roaring Brook Press. Born in St. Paul, Minnesota, Ms. O'Brien was educated at Williams College and earned her MA from Johns Hopkins University. Once a high school English teacher, she resigned to write young adult novels. For more information, visit http://www.caraghobrien.com. ...more

The Vault of Dreamers (3 books)
  • The Rule of Mirrors (The Vault of Dreamers, #2)
  • The Keep of Ages (The Vault of Dreamers, #3)