Start by marking “The Shriver Report: A Woman’s Nation Pushes Back from the Brink” as Want to Read:
The Shriver Report: A Woman’s Nation Pushes Back from the Brink

The Shriver Report: A Woman’s Nation Pushes Back from the Brink

Fifty years after President Lyndon B. Johnson called for a War on Poverty and enlisted Sargent Shriver to oversee it, the most important social issue of our day is once again the dire economic straits of millions of Americans. 1 in 3 Americans today live in poverty or teeter on the brink. 70 million are women and the children who depend on them. The fragile economic status ...more
Published March 11th 2014 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Shriver Report, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shriver Report

Brooke
Apr 25, 2014 Brooke rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2014
I received a copy of this book for free from the Library Thing Early Reviewers program. While I've spent years regularly visiting many feminist websites, I found this book refreshing in the way that it presented clear solutions to the problems it identified. A lot of the time so much energy gets devoted to raging about problems that it seems like no movement forward is ever made.

At the same time, it's a bit rage inducing that so many of these solutions proposed would cost so little, and yet it'
Brittany
While the information and statistics are very useful and actually up-to-date, the fact that many of the pieces are written by those who hold privilege and power was disappointing. While it mentions the hard-working, persevering, and dedicated women who are striving to make the best of everything, the brief synopsis of them comes off disingenuous. Perhaps I expected more heart to be put into the book, or rather my own bias is just getting in the way, either way, this overview of women in the US c ...more
Jessica
Feb 09, 2014 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perhaps not meant to be read cover to cover, as many essays repeat the same stats (driving home the point, admittedly, but maybe for this reader too repetitive).

It was fun to hear from "celebrities" and Shriver clearly leveraged her connections very well to ensure diverse and compelling voices (come for the Beyonce, stay for the Erenreich).

An important piece of work regardless that's accessible, shareable, and critical.

Did a good job discussing the unique challenges of diverse women, and also
Saskia (Smitie)
Apr 27, 2014 Saskia (Smitie) rated it really liked it
Shelves: bookcrossing
I received this book as part of the early reviewers on Library Thing.

As a 'non-American' I learned quite a lot from this report, especially concerning social security policies (and the lack thereof). The articles were clear and easy to understand, but since a large part of the book consists of short essays, some facts and words repeated themselves too much. Therefore I recommend reading a few essays at a time.

Nevertheless, the report gives a good insight in a sad truth. While we see ourselves
Pamela
Jan 23, 2014 Pamela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A must read! It's even free for your Kindle at amazon! Amazing report - very accessible and with public, private, and individual recommendations. Filled with eye-opening and frightening stats, personal stories, essays by experts from many fields, and action plans to "push back from the brink." Please at least read the Executive Summary if not the entire report. www.shriverreport.org
Jenna Copeland
This is an important issue for our present and future But, i can't say that i enjoyed this book as much as I'd hoped. Repetition may be good to get ideas to stick, but I would have liked to have seen some more varied and nuanced i felt that I just kept seeing the same nu,beta and the same analysis.
Kelly
Jan 13, 2014 Kelly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did not read this all the way through. I felt there were very strong and valid points in this report but after a while it became very repetitive and became more of a chore to read. I also found it disappointing that the women writing about struggling women were women of privilege. I wanted to hear from the women that live the life on the brink of poverty and let them have a voice.
Jenna
Jan 28, 2014 Jenna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting analysis of data to support the thesis that policy in the US is still modeled after families with one breadwinner and one stay-at-home parent. Great essays by LeBron James, Jennifer Garner, Jada Pinkett Smith and Hillary Rodham Clinton, and others.
Vijeta
Jan 22, 2014 Vijeta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great insight about women living on the brink. Goes into why so many of the people in poverty are women, how they get there, and ways they can get help. Also goes into ways in which we need to change our thinking of poverty and assistance programs that benefit women on the brink.
Marianne
A repetitive compilation of interesting information regarding women and the workforce. Takes too long to read cover to cover. I recommend you read another book and during a chapter break read an essay or two from this report.
Christine
Feb 24, 2014 Christine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great read that really talks about the reality of women living on the brink of economic disaster. Anyone who thinks these women live this way by choice need to read this book.
Monica
Aug 02, 2014 Monica rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sobering. Kind of a slog to read.
Katie Smith
Katie Smith rated it liked it
Nov 14, 2014
Lindsay
Lindsay rated it did not like it
Mar 29, 2016
Bernadette Dvorscak
Bernadette Dvorscak rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2014
Toni Siedel-Dutton
Toni Siedel-Dutton rated it it was amazing
Mar 01, 2014
Karen
Karen rated it it was amazing
Mar 07, 2017
Leslie Carey
Leslie Carey rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2015
Kathleen C
Kathleen C rated it it was ok
Mar 25, 2014
Rachel
Rachel rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2015
Elvinet S Wilson
Elvinet S Wilson rated it it was amazing
Dec 18, 2014
Elizabeth Goldsby
Elizabeth Goldsby rated it liked it
Dec 31, 2014
Paula
Paula rated it it was amazing
Sep 17, 2014
Mikele Luckfelt-meether
Mikele Luckfelt-meether rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2016
Renee Bouchard
Renee Bouchard rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2015
Faye Lewis
Faye Lewis rated it liked it
Oct 14, 2015
Diana
Diana rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2014
MaryJane Rings
MaryJane Rings rated it liked it
May 21, 2014
Elizabeth Ray-Trumitch
Elizabeth Ray-Trumitch rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2015
Megan Lucy
Megan Lucy rated it liked it
May 14, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Total Flirt: Tips, Tricks, and Techniques Every Girl Needs to Get the Guy
  • Creation
  • Sliding Void (Sliding Void, #1)
  • Buzz Books 2012
  • The Addicted Brain: Why We Abuse Drugs, Alcohol, and Nicotine
  • Blood and Rubles (Porfiry Rostnikov, #10)
  • Homegrown Democrat: A Few Plain Thoughts from the Heart of America
  • Понаехавшая
  • Dying Words: Endangered Languages and What They Have to Tell Us
  • Among the Righteous: Lost Stories from the Holocaust's Long Reach into Arab Lands
  • Criminal sociology
  • Moregasm: Babeland's Guide to Mind-Blowing Sex
  • The Foundations Of Personality
  • Medea: Harlan's World
  • Star Trek Star Charts: The Complete Atlas of Star Trek
  • Hotheads
  • The Commissariat of Enlightenment
  • Dujonian's Hoard (Star Trek: The Captain's Table, #2)
Maria Owings Shriver is an American journalist, activist, author of six best-selling books, and former First Lady of California.
-Wikipedia

More about Maria Shriver...

“Opportunity becomes a family tradition when we design programs and policies with the whole family’s educational and economic future in mind and help them access the social networks needed to make it in life.” 0 likes
“The Shriver Report reveals this quiet reality: The people who we expect to raise us, care for us, and work to support us are too often left unsupported and uncared for.” 0 likes