Start by marking “Exo (Jumper, #4)” as Want to Read:
Exo (Jumper, #4)

Exo

(Jumper #4)

Cent can teleport. So can her parents, but they are the only people in the world who can. This is not as great as you might think it would be — sure, you can go shopping in Japan and then have tea in London, but it’s hard to keep a secret like that. And there are people, dangerous people, who work for governments and have guns, who want to make you do just this one thing ...more
Published September 9th 2014 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Exo, please sign up.
Chris You should at least read Impluse because from my understanding this continues left over elements of that book. To truly understand everything though,…moreYou should at least read Impluse because from my understanding this continues left over elements of that book. To truly understand everything though, you'd be better off reading the whole series.

btw Wish I'd won a copy. (less)

Start your review of Exo (Jumper, #4)
Richard Guion
Nov 09, 2014 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. Too much science info-dumping nearly made this novel impossible to get through, I had to skim certain sections. If you're into the characters and can already suspend disbelief, why does it matter? I am sure it does to certain readers but not me. On the Flash TV show, they spout out a fact like "you need to reach 600 mph to run up walls, but make sure to keep that velocity on the way down" - that's all I need. It probably isn't true but I don't care. Now this book, there is a lot of ...more
Allan
Jun 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2014, read-2019
This was the most joyous book that I've read in a long time.

This is the first of the Jumper series to change it's focus from "how would society react the a select few people that can teleport" to "what could a few teleporters accomplish, that would otherwise be impractical". This transition makes a lot of sense: Davy grew up in fairly poor circumstances and developed a pretty reasonable paranoia as an adult. Cent, by contrast, may have been sheltered, but otherwise had a much happier childhood.

Eric Allen
Feb 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
An Opinionated Look at:

Steven Gould's Exo

By Eric Allen

I first picked up Jumper shortly after its publication back in the early '90s and loved it. It was a book for young adults that wasn't afraid to treat them like adults. I've been following the series ever since. I enjoyed, but was a little bored by, the second book in the series, but I absolutely LOVED the third. Exo is the first book in this series that felt as though it was actually planned when the previous book was written. It picks up
Christine
Nov 05, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: not-recommended
This book was so fucking boring that I couldn't finish it. I have no idea how Gould managed to turn a story about a teenage teleport going into space into such a SNOOZE FEST, but he did it. Not only that but if you've read any of the other books, the entire family does a complete reversal on their security paranoia. Not only do they let Cent into space, which I could see since she can do whatever she wants anyway, but they throw themselves into starting an ENTIRE COMPANY based on their ...more
Michael Greenhut
Sep 21, 2014 rated it it was ok
Of all the Jumper novels, I enjoyed this one the least, by far. To say it needs editing is to say the Titanic had a little trouble on its maiden voyage. A little research and technical detail can be a wonderful thing. Too much, and the flow becomes bogged down and unreadable. Even a little more tension and resistance to Cent's space program by bureaucrats or male chauvinists would have given the story the conflict it needed. Instead, we have the occasional and poorly structured afterthoughts of ...more
Leon Aldrich
Oct 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, 2014-reads
Don't let my 3/5 stars fool you. Gould's writing is stellar. Jumper and Helm locked me in for life.

I wasn't a fan of construction in space. The minutiae put me into a near coma.
Sherwood Smith
Nov 04, 2014 added it
Shelves: sf
My favorites of this series are the first, Jumper (before the awful movie, and equally awful novelization), and the latest before this, Impulse, featuring the teenage daughter of Davy and Millie.

This one takes place not long after Impulse ends. I appreciate how Gould is trying to do different things with these books. This one is an earnest attempt to evoke all the gosh-wow about space that excited my peers back in the fifties and sixties. I don't know how it will succeed with teen readers--if
Joshua
Mar 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
I was very much looking forward to reading Exo. Its predecessor, Impulse, had been exciting and fascinating, with a badass teleporting protagonist who used her wits as well as her ability. Unfortunately, I was to be profoundly disappointed with Exo, which suffered not just from its premise, but from Gould’s pigheaded determination to follow that premise to its conclusion, no matter what the consequences. Exo centers around Cent’s determination to use her abilities to achieve low earth orbit. A ...more
Eric
Jun 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Jumpers
Loved it. Review in progress.

I have now read 4 Jumper books, 1 AU novel, and 1 short story. I can honestly tell you this has become my favorite since we're solidly in the geeking out with science and dreaming the "impossible" I don't want to spoil a thing but by the title it should tell you where the story is going. It's so worth it. Cent is again the main protagonist but we get (as usual) get a few chapters from other POVs, even one or two that come completely by surprise but totally make
Ben Fardey
Feb 15, 2015 rated it did not like it
In a nutshell: the author is trying too hard.

Other reviewers have expressed the same frustration. Namely, that Gould obsesses over the technical and scientific elements of his tale (that a teenage girl can teleport into low earth orbit), at the expense of a compelling narrative or believable characters.

The premise is ludicrous enough that anyone willing to buy into the story is clearly willing to suspend their reasonable beliefs, hence the endless technical explanatory babble becomes quickly
Lynn
Sep 06, 2014 rated it liked it
This book was not as enjoyable as the previous books in this series. The character development was somewhat 2-dimensional and the teenage angst aspect rather cliched. I was left feeling as though the book had been hastily put together in order to meet the publisher deadline.
Chris Aylott
Mar 05, 2016 rated it liked it
I kind of love this book more than I should.

The structure is wobbly -- it bounces along without much tension to it. The bad guys from the last book are back, but they mostly stay in the background and then pop up for a anticlimactic "big" finish. There's also a brush with sexual assault early which makes me want to keep the book out of my pre-teen daughter's hands, even though she would love everything else in the book, and that's a disappointment.

Take those elements away, and the rest of the
William
Sep 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
Exo is a great addition to the "Jumper" series. I really enjoyed Cent's character development and power progression, and the ending worked for me both as a wrap-up to the series and a preview of things to come. I certainly hope Gould intends the latter!
Jeff Landrith
Sep 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed the continued adventures of Cent and her family. Great addition the series and will leave you wanting more.
Daniel Weigert
Jul 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The first chapter is up as an excerpt, and all I can say is "I Want MOAR!" It is quite gripping, and definitely doesn't disappoint; I read it with the unholy glee of a true addict getting a fix.
Taid Stone
Jan 08, 2019 rated it liked it
The book could use some editing, particularly in the long and often unnecessary discussions of jumping space travel and equipment. Also, the mixture of various stories from Grandmother's illness to Cent's science knowledge and lost love is often bothersome. Add some barely explained but serious problems and solutions Davy has with bad guys and gals from the past, and readers may be bored.

The book is enjoyable for those of us who have read the series, but it seems as though Gould had material for
Melyssa
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Of course the most exciting part is the last 20 pages... But a fun story all the way through, if a little overly heavy on the space construction details. (I skimmed those parts)
travis williams
a jumping good time

I gave exo the jumper series three stars because I like how they open cent up more as a character the way she changed and developed over the course of the second book was quite interesting I thought the way she used her abilities to help NSA in space was nice and saving her grandmother was really kind we also got to see more into their abilities like being able to twinning was really cool I did enjoy the story which is why I gave it three stars but I felt like it was a letdown
Brian Palmer
Nov 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
The writing in this is what I'd expect from a Gould novel. Engaging text, lots of planning and building stuff up in small pieces. Yet it has its small differences that break it apart from other Gould books: a bigger emphasis on women-in-STEM (Cent definitely has a bit of a chip on her shoulder about terms like 'manned space station', and it makes a big point of highlighting the many women in positions of professional power), and some generational relation issues.

This novel also breaks new ground
Carl
Sep 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Jumper is one of my favorite books, so I was very excited to read this sequel. Steven Gould is the king of taking an idea ("What if you could teleport anywhere you can see or remember?") and examining it methodically and with great joy.

The only drawback to his books is that I like them so much I finish them in a day or two and then have to wait for the next one to come out. Oh wait, I can go back and read Jumper, Reflex, Impulse, and then Exo again. (I highly recommend reading them in order
Ascian
Oct 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing

I have been following this series for a while now, and in my opinion Exo is the best of the lot (so far).

Beautiful, uplifting, wondrous story. And very engaging characters. The previously known ones continue to be good, but among the new ones I particularly like the grandmother Samantha Harrison and the character of (as opposed to the real life person) Cory Matoska.

Last but not least, there are not one but FOUR Filipino or Filipino-American characters: Roberta Matapang, Jeline, Bea, and Tessa.
Karen
Aug 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, 14
I received this book as an advance reading copy in yesterday's mail and got almost nothing done around the house since.

This is definitely a sequel, and reading Impulse first is a necessity for full enjoyment. That being said, I enjoyed every minute of it. Gould somehow manages to write a story that cranks along at a breathtaking speed, but the pages still turn slow enough that you don't feel left behind or disappointed because the book ended too quickly. Well-fleshed out characters from the
Ty
Sep 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'm a huge fan of the Jumper series, ever since I read the first one a million years ago. Reflex, in my opinion, wasn't quite as strong of a book—but Impulse was fantastic.

Exo was not what I was expecting. We've shifted from "globe-jumping adventure romp" to something else now. Harder science-fiction, with an emphasis on space. This was a good idea, I think. Sequels sometimes tend to just rehash things, arranging the parts in a different order.

Not Exo.

This book took our teleporting characters
Danielle
Oct 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Jumpers
Read this review and more on my blog.

Exo is the fourth book in the Jumper series.

Exo was the logical progression from the first three novels in the Jumper series.

Exo takes us to space! Literally! Cent decides that test her 'jumping' limits by going up. Obviously things are easier said than done, as the entirety of the novel very cleverly explains what Cent needs to do to survive in space.

The only thing about Exo that i thought that could have been done better was the lack of oh-mi-gawh moments.
Huan
Aug 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, sci-fi
Fans of the Maximum Ride series by James Patterson will like this; Cent, the main character, goes through a lot of the same kind of emotional turmoil that Max does, in handling being part of a group hunted for their abilities, coping with the added conflict those abilities bring to her relationships, and there's a little bit of old fashioned teenage angst thrown in.

Fans of the science-y stuff that the protagonist of The Martian, by Andy Weir, goes through will enjoy the scientific world-building
Mark
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Exo Steven Gould September 2014 Sci-Fi 5/5

Exo is the fourth book in the Jumper series (canonical) by Steven Gould. It follows Cent, a teen with the ability to teleport. The story is about her quest to explore outer space. I love this book. It’s action packed and moves quickly. It’s an easy read. The good guys triumph. She does tons of cool stuff. There’s a fair bit of technical ideas- in the vein of The Martian. It’s right up my reading alley. I reread this book periodically. Recommended.
Hillary Tyson
Apr 14, 2015 rated it did not like it
I was so disappointed with this book, especially since I'm such a huge fan of Jumper and Reflex. Too much science, not enough fiction. I literally had to skim entire chapters because of the ridiculous amount of physics jargon. Add that on top of an unlikable Mary Sue main character, a hastily shoved in plot in the last 20 pages, and you get the most annoying book I've ever had to slog my way through.
Seriously, what happened?
Chris
I think this book was better than Impulse (the previous one in the series.) I feel like Cent's character was much better developed and less lovestruck. I'm pleased with the way that the characters get older as the author has gotten older. I also like how Gould keeps coming up with new ways to expand the implications and capabilities of being a transport. Very enjoyable.
Blank
Aug 29, 2015 rated it did not like it
If you like terms like mansplaining this is the book for you. Its not a surprise since the series has increasingly been exploring the authors hatred for his gender. I truly hope boys are not reading this and internalizing it.
Aliza Baronofsky
Sep 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book has everything I love about the Jumper series but pivots enough in its content to feel fresh and new. For anyone who prefers the term "womaned spacecraft" to the term "manned spacecraft."
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Exo Male Review- Function, Benefits, Side Effects and Price.... 1 3 Jul 25, 2018 04:31AM
Want to buy this in Australia? Sorry you can't. 1 7 May 12, 2015 06:27PM

• The Gentleman Bastard Series books 1-3 (Gentleman Bastard #1-3)
  • The Alchemist
  • An Accident of Stars (Manifold Worlds, #1)
  • Forging the Darksword (The Darksword Trilogy #1)
  • Level Up
  • Ember (Awaken Online: Tarot #1)
  • The Death and Life of Dominick Davidner (Middle Falls Time Travel #3)
  • Odd Billy Todd
  • A Meeting at Corvallis (Emberverse, #3)
  • Armchair Safari
  • Kingdom Come (The Archemi Online Chronicles, #3)
  • Trial by Fire (Archemi Online, #2)
  • Reapers (Breakers, #4)
  • Finch Merlin and the Djinn’s Curse (Harley Merlin #12)
  • Zone War (Zone War, #1)
  • Finch Merlin and the Lost Map (Harley Merlin #11)
  • Empress of Forever
  • George R.R. Martin Series Order & Checklist: A Song of Ice and Fire Series (Game of Thrones), Plus All Other Series, Stand-Alone Novels, and Short Stories (Series List Book 27)
Steven Charles Gould is an American science fiction author. His novels tend to have protagonists fighting to rid government of corrupt antagonists. The struggle against corruption is the focus, rather than the technology.

Jumper (4 books)
  • Jumper (Jumper, #1)
  • Reflex (Jumper, #2)
  • Impulse (Jumper, #3)
“Misery isn’t a bloody competition. Joe” 1 likes
“It’s a Glock. You squeeze that part, things come out of that part. Very fast.” 1 likes