Start by marking “The Tree of Water (The Lost Journals of Ven Polypheme, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Tree of Water (The Lost Journals of Ven Polypheme, #4)

The Tree of Water

(The Lost Journals of Ven Polypheme #4)

The epic voyages continue in The Tree of Water, the fourth adventure in bestselling author Elizabeth Haydon's acclaimed fantasy series for young readers, The Lost Journals of Ven Polypheme.

Published October 28th 2014 by Starscape

To ask other readers questions about The Tree of Water, please sign up.
S So far there is 4:

1. The Floating Island
2. The Thief Queen's Daughter
3. The Dragon's Lair
4. The Tree of Water

There's suppose to be a 5th and final book: believed to be titled the Star of the Sea but no word of it's release has come out yet.(less)

Nathan
Cute.

But this is definitely not a book that is meant for me. Perhaps if my little boy was a bit older we could have run reading it together (I certainly hope he wants his old man to read to him for a long time coming). Because the book reads as a high action version of Dora the Explorer; one mini-adventure after another with occasional learning moments dropped in (I learned the green sea slug eats algae then conducts photosynthesis within its own body). This is entirely intentional as the press
Geekritique
Sep 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Find this review and many more over at Geekritique.

The Tree of Water, the fourth in The Lost Journals of Ven Polypheme series by Elizabeth Haydon, is the first ever ARC I’ve received to review and was so graciously provided by Tor.com. That means the copy was an “Uncorrected Advance Reading Copy,” provided for an honest review of the content therein. My inner grammar nazi initially kept picking out typos here and there that nagged at me, but as I got into the ebb and flow of it all, I rarely eve
Christoph Fischer
Oct 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
“The Tree of Water” by Elizabeth Haydon is the fourth story in this charming and delightful fantasy series for young readers and those young at heart. The books follow the wonderful adventures of Charles Magnus “Ven” Polypeheme. His world is full of magical creatures, inventive and original variations of classic fairy tale and fantasy creatures, but in a unique and lovely blend. I came into the series late but had no problem connecting with the established set up of hobbits (Nain) fairies, kings ...more
Timothy Pitkin
Mar 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Personally this is my least favorite of the series mostly because Amariel is my least favorite character and he is in most of the book. Also I really do not like the kind of cliche idea of the underwater denizens either hating or feeling superior to the people on the surface. But the last third of the book is really cool because for one Amariel is not in most of it and their are some really cool world building and the ending is making me excited for the next book.
Karenb
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, books-i-own
It's okay to read these books out of order. I did! I've started with #4 and want to find the others.
Grace Troxel
Nov 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
This review originally appeared on my blog, Books Without Any Pictures:

The Tree of Water by Elizabeth Haydon is the fourth book in the young adult series “The Lost Journals of Ven Polypheme.” Even though the book is later in the series, it works as a standalone because Haydon frames this book as one of many lost journals that tell tales of Ven’s adventures. She presents the story as if she’s the compiler of the journal fragments, giving herself the role of
Robin
Oct 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
In the fourth book of The Lost Journals of Ven Polypheme, the young Nain explorer continues his journeys to find out all the magic in the world and report it to a good young king. He has already explored the thieves' quarter of the city of Kingston, stopped a war between the dwarflike Nain and the elflike Lirin, and survived an encounter with Scarnag the dragon who represents earth-magic. He just missed the opportunity to visit one of the five world trees because his merrow (mermaid) friend Amar ...more
Sandra Stiles
Nov 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The preface hooked me. When the author named a place” Ketchup-upon-Hamburg, South Germany” and talked about “attending a yak milking seminar in the high peaks of Katmandont” I was hooked. I interrupted my husband to reread the lines to him. I knew then I would enjoy this book because of the word play.

The author wrote the story in first person through Ven’s journals and then third person throughout the rest. Ven tells us he is from the race of people known as Nain. They live with humans in Vaarn.
Jalynn Patterson
Nov 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
About the Book:

The epic voyages continue in The Tree of Water, the fourth adventure in bestselling author Elizabeth Haydon’s acclaimed fantasy series for young readers, The Lost Journals of Ven Polypheme.

As Royal Reporter of the land of Serendair, it is the duty of young Charles Magnus "Ven" Polypheme to travel the world and seek out magic hiding in plain sight. But Ven needs to escape the clutches of the nefarious Thief Queen, ruler of the Gated City, whose minions are hunting for him. His frie
Ann
Nov 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
TREE OF WATER BY ELIZABETH HAYDON

What a wonderful book this is! I was lost in a marvelous new world with so many new experiences to discover. This is the fourth book in the fantasy series created by the author Dr Haydon but the first one I have read, this not being my normal genre. However I will definitely read more.

We have Charles Magnus Ven Polypheme who is known as Ven who is of the race Nain. Nains are shorter than humans and grumpier and live 4 times as long. In human terms Ven would be 50
Nancy
Nov 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A Magical Adventure Reminiscent of The Hobbit or Lord of the Rings

Ven Polypheme and his friend Char are off on another adventure with their mermaid friend, Amariel. Ven is adventurous for a Nain. Most Nains prefer to remain at home, but Ven is hungry for adventure. In this fourth book, he and Char travel to the bottom of the sea, a place usually shunned by Nair. He is searching for the Tree of Water that is supposed to exist somewhere in the sea.

Their first obstacle is to be able to breath under
Amy
Jul 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
First order of business: THANK YOU ELIZABETH HAYDON FOR WRITING A FOURTH NOVEL!!!! You have made this 16-year-old very happy!

I've been reading this series since 2007, and had fallen in love with it after the very first chapter of The Floating Island. So you could imagine my panic when (even though the final page of The Dragon's Lair had confirmed that the Tree of Water was in the works) five years after The Dragon's Lair's release and with no more notice on the fourth book, I began to believe th
Jessica Bronder
Nov 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This story is based on the lost journals of Ven Polypheme, a royal reporter that is to travel the world and find magic. Ven is trying to escape the Thief Queen. His merrow friend Amariel suggests exploring underwater and search for The Tree of Water. But this is not his only task. Just before they leave, Madame Sharra gives them a sea dragon scale and tells them to find the dragon too.

This is the fourth book in The Lost Journals of Ven Polypheme, which I was concerned with since I have never he
Victoria Brinius
Jan 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is great for kids and adults will have fun reading it too. I loved all the puns and how the author knew when to put them in the story. This story is so creative and the action is very fast moving. I liked that the author had Ven making mistakes and other characters apologizing. Even though this was make believe there was a strong sense of responsibility. There are sea kings, and sea creatures, and so many more members of this world. It is hard not to take a mental voyage with the chara ...more
Rebecca Bryant
Nov 17, 2014 rated it it was ok
I have to say I enjoy the book for the most part. It was a really good tale of magic and fantasy. even though i was slightly lost as this was the third or fourth book in the series the story was enjoyable. i have to say I most likely would have enjoyed it more had I read the earlier books in this series. That said if you enjoy a good tale of magic this is your book but please think about reading the first books in the series so you don't' get lost like I did.

Disclaimer: I receive a free copy of
Melissa Jane
Aug 17, 2015 rated it did not like it
DNF 40%..... such a disappointment. I absolutely loved the first three books and have recommended them many times. It was really hard to get through this story until I finally had to just give up. The tale was getting ridiculous and hard to believe. The sharing of thoughts underwater and speaking everything you think was over the top. I also could not like his merrow friend and thought that she was a spoiled brat. She was okay and interesting in the previous books unlike her character in this on ...more
Carole Johnson
Oct 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the best of the journals yet. My kids and I have waited forever for this book, but it was well worth it. Children's hero Ven Polypheme goes under the sea with best friend Char, led by the merrow Amariel, through an incredible journey of great beauty and terrible danger. This series is destined to be a classic. The wonders of the sea are so clearly described, whether or not they exist in the real world, that it's like watching it on Discovery Channel.
Trisha Hayes
Oct 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
I thought it moved really slow. SPOILERS: when Venn and the others got to the tree that was also too fast. the others stuff moved too slow. I loved the book. It is my second favorite out off the four. My first had to be the theifs queen daughter. I wonder what the next will be like..... curiosity is very itching.
Jill Steeley
Jul 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Tree of Water is an underwater fantasy that skillfully draws the reader into a world that seems real. Every chapter ends with a cliffhanger situation for the believable characters. This highly engaging book will entertain readers fourth grade and up.
Kristen
Jan 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Tree of Water is a beautiful tale of friendship, bravery, and good ole curiosity. I highly recommend this series to any fantasy lover with a fondness (or at least tolerance) of children's (i.e. 7-13 year-old's) novels.
Annie Eddy
Sep 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It was one of the best ending to a series ever. I loved that Ven named the ship after Amerial and I love how nicely the characters developed. It was an amazing book.
Liam Narozanick
Aug 16, 2016
Beth
Aug 20, 2015
Emily Andrewsen
rated it did not like it
Nov 07, 2014
Noelle
Aug 19, 2016
Torne
Oct 19, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Just won this book. 3 5 Oct 28, 2014 11:34PM
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • Travels with Gannon and Wyatt: Egypt
  • Gabriel Finley and the Raven's Riddle (Gabriel Finley #1)
  • Dragonborn (The Flaxfield Quartet, #1)
  • Backwards Moon
  • Magic in the Mix
  • The Palace of Glass (The Forbidden Library, #3)
  • The 8th Continent (The 8th Continent, #1)
  • The Orphan Army
  • Thursdays with the Crown (Castle Glower, #3)
  • Forest of Wonders (Wing & Claw #1)
  • Life of Zarf: The Trouble with Weasels
  • The Blood Binding (Spellbinder #3)
  • Velvet Ball and the Broken Fairy
  • Vita
  • Lost in Another World
  • Skipping Stones at the Center of the Earth
Elizabeth Haydon (* 1965 in Michigan) is a fantasy author, whose 1999 debut, Rhapsody: Child of Blood, garnered comparisons with Goodkind, Jordan, and even Tolkien. She has written two fantasy series set within the same universe, The fantasy/romance/whodunit fusion called The Symphony of Ages and the young adult series The Lost Journals of Ven Polypheme.

An herbalist, harpist, and madrigal singer,

The Lost Journals of Ven Polypheme (4 books)
  • The Floating Island (The Lost Journals of Ven Polypheme, #1)
  • The Thief Queen's Daughter (The Lost Journals of Ven Polypheme, #2)
  • The Dragon's Lair (The Lost Journals of Ven Polypheme, #3)