Start by marking “Herakles” as Want to Read:
Herakles

Herakles

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  557 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
In Herakles, Euripides reveals with great subtlety and complexity the often brutal underpinnings of our social arrangements. The play enacts a thoroughly contemporary dilemma about the relationship between personal and state violence to civic order. Of all of Euripides' plays, this is his most skeptically subversive examination of myth, morality, and power.
Depicting Herak
Published February 1st 2004 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published -420)

To ask other readers questions about Herakles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Herakles

Steve
Mar 03, 2017 added it
Shelves: greek, poetry, theatre

Two renditions of Hercules fighting the Nemean lion on ancient Greek pottery

But the gods' ways aren't ours:
Between good and bad action,
They don't draw a clear line.
And time, as the years roll on,
Does not lay things bare
Or blind us with the truth.

At about the halfway point through the generally fascinating plays of Euripides (c. 480 – c. 406 BCE) I've just read the quite consternating Herakles. First performed c. 416 - so a product of his later, more pessimistic period - Herakles breaks with both
Meghan
Jan 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
(I did not read this version of Heracles, I found mine in the Penguin Classics edition of Medea and other plays by Euripides, but did not find that version on Goodreads.)

CHORUS: “My right hand, how you long to grip a spear again!
But, being weak, you waste your wish. Had I been young
I would have made you swallow that word ‘slave’; and we
Would have set up good government in Thebes, where you
Now take your pleasure. Faction and folly had driven Thebes
Insane, or she would never have got you for Kin
sologdin
An odd set of inversions here. The ancient mythology is straightforward:
Now it came to pass that after the battle with the Minyans Hercules was driven mad through the jealousy of Hera and flung his own children, whom he had by Megara, and two children of Iphicles into the fire; wherefore he condemned himself to exile, and was purified by Thespius, and repairing to Delphi he inquired of the god where he should dwell. The Pythian priestess then first called him Hercules, for hitherto he was calle
Marcos Junior
Jan 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Acredita-se que Hércules tenha sido produzida no ano 415 A.C., provavelmente para o grande festival em honra a Dionísio em Atenas. As outras três peças da tetralogia que o dramaturgo apresentou naquele ano se perderam e não se sabe do que trataram. Nos festival, cada concorrente apresentava 4 peças.

Quando começa a peça, Hércules está ausente, desceu ao reino de Hades para tentar capturar Cérbero, o cão de três cabeças. Muitos duvidam que voltará, pois nunca ninguém conseguiu. Lycus toma o trono
The Kid
Apr 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ancient-greek
Herakles goes nuts and kills everyone except his dad. Good times.
Charles
If anyone reading this review has played the immensely popular video-game 'god of war', s/he will have an idea of the game's basic concept, that basically a man (Kratos in the game) who has achieved military success as general of the spartan army is 'blinded' by frenzy and madness into killing his own wife and child.

Well, 'Herakles' by Euripides was most probably the inspiration for the game's plot. The ultimate tragedy if you will. We all know who Hercules is. Is there a man living who has not
Cymru Roberts
May 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: greek-drama
Euripides knows how to twist the knife and this is twisted even for him. He's a very complex playwright. Not the best poet but his manipulation of convention is remarkable. At first I thought this play had crossed the line between satire and evil, but then the eponymous character is redeemed by a tragic value worthy of Sophocles and we're left with more questions... Making fun of Heracles would be too easy; instead Euripides both addresses all of the easy satirical points but ends by inspiring p ...more
Oct 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: greek-drama
Ah yes, another play about Heracles... if anyone has read my other reviews on Heracles, I have said time and time again that I just don't like the guy. Even in plays that are genuinely good, Heracles is still a huge douchebag (remember when he got wasted in Alcestis before he knew that the guy's wife had just died? Yeah.). I still maintain that opinion, but his douchebaggery is actually an important part of Herackles.

In this play, Herakles actually ends up going crazy, killing his wife, Megara,
Aleksandra
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am, generally, very fond of Euripides, and "Herakles" is one of his most underrated yet fascinating plays. The paradoxical image of gods and men presented here and the drama of a goddess forced to do something evil and the hero forced to kill his own make this play so attractive.
Salymar
Sep 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2008-read, 2009-read
One of the Greek classics I loved back in my high school days :)
Hoda
تستحق القراءة
Jonathan
Jan 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, plays
Better than Medea, but not as good as Hippolytus or Bacchae.

4/5
حسن  عدس
Jun 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
يوربيديوس عظيم متمرد مبدع عنهم بس الافضل هو اسخيليوس ... المسرحية عظيمة ماساه جنون
Katerina
May 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classici, recensioni
Kiersten Lawson
Feb 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to goodread's interview with George Saunders about his new book of short stories ("Tenth of December"), I was spurred to read this classical play, which indeed feels frightfully modern in its bloody telling of misfortune, fortitude, madness and succor. I'm excited to read Saunders' reimagining of the tale ("Home") next.

Excerpts:
"As for friends, some I see are insincere; while others, who are staunch, have no power to help us further. This is what misfortune means to man."

"Yea, for men's
David Sarkies
Mar 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Helenophiles
Recommended to David by: Classical Studies
Shelves: tragedy
A story of redemption
4 March 2012

Like pretty much all of the Greek tragedies this play utilises the unities of time and place. The entire action takes place in a single day outside a palace in Thebes. Once again, all of the action takes place off stage and in narrated to the audience by one of the characters, and as in other plays the background and the events leading up to the play are narrated to us at the start. It appears, with Greek drama, that the bulk of the play deals with the climax an
Dunya Buzidi
"تأتي الشدائد اختبارًا حقيقيًا لمعدن الأصدقاء، وهو اختبار لا تكذب نتائجه أبدًا." -أمفيتريون
"حتى الكوارث العنيفة التي تصيب البشر يُصيبها الإعياء بعد حين." - أمفيتريون
"يجب الحذر والحيطة من عدو أحمق وغد، أما إذا كان عدوك رجلًا شريفًا من بيتٍ كريمٍ فاخضع له؛ إذ أنّ خضوعك قد يُلين قلبه." - ميجارا
"المرأة بطبعها أسرع من الرجل في سرد الأحزان." - ميجارا
"من سعى وراء الشر لن يلقى إلَّا شرًّا." -أمفيتريون
"من لم يذق للسعادة طعمًا، لا يتألم بنفس الدرجة؛ إذ نشأ منذ نعومة أظافره في البؤس." - هرقل
"الآلهة ل
Mariana
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Una de mis tragedias favoritas.
Flavia Araripe
Uma palavra define Eurípides na Grécia Clássica: ousado.
bri
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
well damn
Dmk
Feb 15, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
One of the most neglected Euripides' plays? No wonder.
They are lamenting that they're going to die. But this triggers no emotional reaction (in reader) since everyone knows Heracles would come back soon enough to "save them".
And than kills them and it's only told in not-very-interesting speech of messenger and than they're all lamenting again and the rest I do not remember well since I was too bored to focus properly on play.

Euripides is my favourite ancient playwright but here he fails on ev
Alisa
Nov 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Honestly, Greek Tragedy just isn't really my cup of tea. I can appreciate the history and the importance of it, but I just get too easily bored when reading it. I get less bored when watching it, but I still don't feel very connected and engaged with the text. I found this especially true with Herakles. I do really like the characterization of Theseus in this play though.
Kerrif
Jul 17, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 0400-bc
Chris Wolfington
May 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good tragedy focusing on Herakles. Euripides has a way of expressing the core feelings of his characters,and in this tragedy dwells on the death of family and true friendship. A lot more can be said of this play, but this is what I chiefly got out of it.
Jon
Jan 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
R.K. Byers
Sep 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
i LOVE the idea of Madness descending like an inverse virtue but I doubt this defense would hold up in court.
Syafiqah
Jun 12, 2012 rated it liked it
it underscores the entire notion of Greek tragedy.
Sean Chick
Nov 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid Euripides play with the usual themes I like in his work. Some parts though are a bit weak; this is not as tight as his best stuff.
Janey
Apr 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
Note: Actually read Anne Carson's translation from Grief Lessons (2006).
jeremy
Nov 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: drama, translation
the greeks, and more specifically euripides (as well as sophocles), set the benchmark for dramatic writing unsurpassably high. poignancy as bountiful as it comes.
  • Women of Trachis
  • The Ecclesiazusae (or Women in Council)
  • Eumenides (Ορέστεια, #3)
  • Alessandro, Cesare
  • Cookery and Dining in Imperial Rome
  • Into the Land of Bones: Alexander the Great in Afghanistan
  • Alcibiades
(Greek: Ευριπίδης )
Euripides (Ancient Greek: Εὐριπίδης) (ca. 480 BC–406 BC) was the last of the three great tragedians of classical Athens (the other two being Aeschylus and Sophocles). Ancient scholars thought that Euripides had written ninety-five plays, although four of those were probably written by Critias. Eighteen of Euripides' plays have survived complete. It is now widely believed that wh
“يجب أن يعتور الأصدقاء غضب عادل ونبيل لما لحق بأصدقائهم من أذى وظلم.” 3 likes