Start by marking “The Extra Ordinary Life of Frank Derrick, Age 81” as Want to Read:
The Extra Ordinary Life of Frank Derrick, Age 81

The Extra Ordinary Life of Frank Derrick, Age 81

(Frank Derrick #1)

Frank Derrick is eighty-one. And he’s just been run over by a milk float. It was tough enough to fill the hours of the day when he was active. But now he’s broken his arm and fractured his foot, it looks set to be a very long few weeks ahead. Frank lives with his cat Bill (which made more sense before Ben died) in the typically British town of Fullwind-on-Sea. The Villages ...more
Published June 5th 2014 by Pan Books (first published June 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Extra Ordinary Life of Frank Derrick, Age 81, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Extra Ordinary Life of Frank Derrick, Age 81

Start your review of The Extra Ordinary Life of Frank Derrick, Age 81
Lloyd Shepherd
Jun 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
When I was in my twenties, I spent a considerable amount of time jumping up and down in fairly mindless fashion to the excitable rock-and-roll stylings of a beat combo with the tireless moniker Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine (or, for the purposes of the BBC censor, Carter USM).

There was no other band quite like Carter. There were only two of them, for a start: a fellow in shorts and a baseball cap who played the guitar and was called Fruitbat, and another fellow called Jim-Bob who also
Megan Readinginthesunshine
Jun 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
I must say I really liked the sound of this book, and I’m going to be honest – I had absolutely no idea what to expect from this book when I started it.

Frank Derrick is 81 and is run over by a milk float, causing his arm to break and his foot to fracture. He had trouble filling the hours in his day when he was active, but now with his injuries he looks set for long weeks of watching DVD’s. But then Kelly Christmas – the home help – breezes into his life like a breath of fresh air, and she
Marianne
May 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Extra Ordinary Life of Frank Derrick, Age 81 is the first book in the Frank Derrick series, and the third novel by British author, J. B. Morrison (aka musician Jim Bob). Eighty-one year-old widower, Frank Derrick has a broken arm. And a broken toe. A runaway milk float ran over him when he was returning from buying a pint of milk at the local shop, Fullwind Food & Wine. Because Frank lives alone in (very likely) the only house with stairs in Fullwind-on-Sea, his daughter Beth, who lives ...more
Paul
Jul 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: literary, comedy
The Extra Ordinary Life of Frank Derrick, Age 81 – Quirky & fun

J.B. Morrison, better known as Jim Bob, has written a quirky and fun novel in The Extra Ordinary Life of Frank Derrick, Age 81. Everyone who reads this story will recognise someone in Frank Derrick, me Derek across the road who just happens to be 81 has home help and gets taken to, Lidl, Morrisons and a posh shop at Waitrose (yes we have them up north).

Frank Derrick is 81 and gets run over by a milk float while out buying a pint
Sophie
Jun 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: print-books

Review also posted on my blog http://www.reviewedthebook.co.uk/2014...

Frank Derrick, as I’m sure you can work out from the title of the book, is 81 years old and has just been run over by a milk float. Seriously.

You would imagine, being 81 and injured, there’s probably very little you can do and definitely not enough to warrant a near 300 page novel. Yet it’s Frank Derrick’s attitude to life which brings this book its charm and The Extra Ordinary Life of Frank Derrick, Age 81 is a witty, moving
Maria
Aug 11, 2014 rated it it was ok
Well, thank the Lord that that is over. I don't usually keep reading a book if I'm not enjoying it but something told me that there must be an epic ending to this book as it was so utterly uneventful throughout so the reward must be an awesome ending. I was wrong. very boring and pointless from beginning to end. Apologies to the Author, i'm sure other people like it but it did not strike a chord with me. I gave it two stars rather than the one I felt it deserved because I laughed out loud once.
Beadyjan
Jun 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
When I was offered the chance of a copy of this book to read and review I ummed and ahhed at first. From the write up it sounds a touch ridiculous a bit OTT - I love gentle humour but I can't stand farce.

However, when I read through a few reviews from people whose judgement I trust and whose tastes I know are similar to mine I thought "let's give it go then" and I'm SO very glad I did, I loved it.

Frank Derrick is a very ordinary elderly man, living an ordinary life in an ordinary seaside town.
Vicki - I Love Reading
May 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2015
A fun and very easy read. With a story that can also make you think. What must it be like to be elderly and lonely. So If you have an elderly neighbour, make 5 mins and pop and say hello to them.

The book kicks off with Frank getting run over by a milk float, this in itself really tickled me, not that he got run over but the fact it was a milk float.
Frank is such a likeable character. And some of his antics and thoughts are brilliantly funny.
i'm concerned with saying too much here, as I feel it
Ken
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such a wonderful book! Both poignantly touching while also laugh out loud funny, I just adored this story.

We meet Frank, an 81 year old man who recently got knocked over by a milk float. Having broken he's arm, Frank is assigned a carer called Kelly who's weekly visits make a massive impact on Franks life.

The book brilliantly delves into how a retired gentleman struggles to fills he's days up with a purpose. It tackles the aspects of loneliness exceptionally well.

Frank also likes buying old DVDs
Anne
May 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A first floor flat with possibly the only steps in the village. Tinned spaghetti, junk mail, cold-callers, charity shop pens and a cat called Bill. Those are the things that make up Frank's life. He does venture out; to Fullwind Food & Wine, where he stocks up on spaghetti and cat food, the local charity shop to add to his collection of china animals and DVDs, and on the bus to the big Sainsburys. Frank never actually gets as far as Sainsburys though, he gets off at Greyflick House and ...more
Book Addict Shaun
May 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
You can see this review and loads more on my blog: http://bookaddictshaun.blogspot.co.uk

Frank Derrick is eighty-one. And he's just been run over by a milk float. Okay I don't know about you but that's one of the best openings to a book blurb I think I've ever read. I had no idea what to expect from this book and really, it's like nothing I've ever read before. I read mostly crime fiction, chick lit, thrillers, true crime and autobiographies. So this book was very different from my normal read
Zarina
May 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Review originally posted to my blog (+ Q&A with the author):

Frank Derrick is 81 years old when he is run over by a milk float and ends up in hospital with a broken arm and fractured foot. His daughter, who lives all the way in America, worries that he won't be able to take proper care of himself when going home and so she hires him a temporary help. Initially he is reluctant at the thought of frequent visits from a stern carer but that is before
Karen
May 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
The story begins on the day of Frank’s 81st birthday and he was given the most unexpected and unwanted of presents – a broken arm and a fractured foot after being run over by a milk float.

I didn’t know quite what to expect from this book, I enjoy funny but I don’t like farce, however I was pleased to discover that the book had plenty of the first but none of the second and I was hooked into Frank’s life from the first page.

Frank’s days are so very ordinary – in fact they are EXTRA ordinary. He
May 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Originally posted on: http://lauraslittlebookblog.blogspot....

I really loved this story. It was funny and moving all at the same time and I loved the themes it explored throughout the book.

I fell in love with Frank's character. He is a really sweet and actually very funny man! His dry sense of humour and the whole books' sense of humour had me in actual fits! It was actually highly embarrassing as a lot of the time I read on the train and to save myself from laughing hysterically on a quiet
Suze Lavender
Sep 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Frank Derrick is 81 years old when a milk float runs over him. His injuries are quite severe, so it isn't easy for Frank to do the things he normally does. His arm is in a cast and he has trouble walking. To make things a bit easier his daughter hires a carer. Before the accident Frank's life used to be pretty simple. His wife has passed away and he's been living on his own ever since. His best friend has MS and he regularly visits him at the home he's living in. He loves to go to the charity ...more
Erin
Jul 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Firstly thank you to Natasha at Pan Mac for sending me a copy of this book to read and review, and also thank you to J.B. Morrison himself for the guest post about his love for independent book posts and you can check that out here!

This is the story of Frank Derrick. He’s 81 and finds himself with a broken arm after being run over by a milk float. On returning home from the hospital he agrees to some hope help and that is how Christmas comes into his life.

I absolutely loved Frank! He’s the main
Mandy Radley
Dec 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Frank Derrick is 81 and has just been run over by a milk float, all you can see is his arm stuck out holding a carton of milk. You think this book is going to be fun, light hearted and amusing, and in some respects it is, but there's also a darker side to this book that I wasn't expecting.

Frank's daughter Beth lives in America and of course wants to go home and look after her father after the accident but reality prevails and she engages a local care agency, for a carer to go round once a week
Alba
Jun 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Originally posted on: http://addictivechicklit.blogspot.com...

First of all I would like to thank Natasha Harding, at Pac Macmillan for sending me this lovely book in exchange of a honest review.

Frank, aged 81, is a lovely and moving character. He was quite lonely, and after the accident he didn't want anyone to come and take care of him. But then, when Kelly arrives at his home, he starts to see there's life outside his four walls. From that moment, his highlight of the week is Kelly's visit and
Snoakes
Jul 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-top-ten
Are the best books the ones that reduce you to tears? I had to put this down at one point towards the end because I was about to sob my heart out. The main themes are old age and loneliness - being old and alone is way more terrifying than dying, isn't it? Frank is a fantastic character and one that will stay with me for a long time.

Toast
Mar 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
I had such a giggle with this. And when I told others about it they laughed along too. It is such a change to find a story about the elderly which is funny, realistic and ongoing. No he doesn't rob banks or gather a gang together to stage a rebellion in a care home, he has a crush on his carer and then has to cope with it, his finances and old age. Keep on rockin' Frank.
Toast
Sean Randall
Jan 06, 2017 rated it liked it
It's easy to say that this was a vairly typical idea, but then again, who knows how I'll feel about this when I'm 81? It poses a lot to think about and had a comfortable sort of a feeling to it, whilst nonetheless making the prospect of retirement quite worrying.
malak
Jun 10, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2018-books
I picked up this book at a community book sale, the prospect of the story was fascinating, until i actually started reading the book. the story developed VERY SLOWLY, and most of the times i couldn't follow where it was going.
Rose
Jan 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
I think I must be on a roll with books about old people. This has been one of the most enjoyable. Funny, with lots of references to movies, like Rear Window and Singing in the Rain. And other in-joke references to thinks that happened earlier in the book.
Beck
Jul 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars
This book is certainly more than Extra Ordinary. It's Extraordinary, funny, sad and a great reminder that "old people" are only as boring as we make them.

Gibson
May 30, 2014 rated it did not like it
A pedestrian attempt to claw its way onto a bandwagon.
Lisa Williams
May 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
Just bloody loved it!
Tricia Ebbs
Oct 23, 2015 rated it liked it
A good read, made me laugh and cry. Liked the references to the Arctic Monkeys.
Rebecca
Jun 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Originally posted on http://beccasbooooks.blogspot.co.uk/

This was brilliant. I very rarely read books that can make me cry with laughter the way this one did, but it did, and I'm pretty sure that I was smiling the entire way through it too. It was fantastic, a truly one of a kind novel.

A big thank you to the publishers Pan Macmillan for accepting me for an eBook copy of this title via Net Galley. I also won a paperback copy of The Extra Ordinary Life of Frank Derrick, Age 81 from a Twitter
Asb
Aug 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
I like Frank Derrick. A great tale, sometimes sad, sometimes happy. Lots of little references that made sense to me - as a Laurel & Hardy and Harold Lloyd fan. I also remember watching Basil Brush with Mr Derek. Has to be read to be understood & enjoyed. I started in the morning , read a bit on a trip to town and finished it in the evening.
Janet Emson
May 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-books, reviewed
I received a copy of this book from the publishers in exchange for an honest review.

Frank Derrick lives a rather uneventful life, spending his days buying things he doesn't need from the local charity shop, watching films, talking to his cat, which admittedly is a one-sided conversation and generally counting down the hours until its time to go to bed. Then on his 81st birthday he's run over by a milk float. As a result of being incapacitated his daughter Beth, who lives in the US organises for
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Busker
  • Not Tonight, Josephine: A Road Trip Through Small-Town America
  • Saint Morrissey
  • Five Against One
  • Operation Ironman: One Man's Four Month Journey from Hospital Bed to Ironman Triathlon
  • Glue