Start by marking “Far From You” as Want to Read:
Far From You

Read Excerpt

Far From You

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  10,753 ratings  ·  1,325 reviews
Nine months. Two weeks. Six days.

That's how long recovering addict Sophie's been drug-free. Four months ago her best friend, Mina, died in what everyone believes was a drug deal gone wrong - a deal they think Sophie set up. Only Sophie knows the truth. She and Mina shared a secret, but there was no drug deal. Mina was deliberately murdered.

Forced into rehab
Published March 27th 2014 by Indigo

·  10,753 ratings  ·  1,325 reviews

Lola
Nov 01, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbt, mystery
3.5 stars.

This book must be super annoyed with me. I mean, I did add it to my to-read shelf and un-add it over and over again.

But hopefully, it will forgive me, as I enjoyed my time with it.

Sophie is in rehab. Mina was killed. But Sophie isn’t an addict anymore. And Mina had no enemy. So what happened? Who killed Sophie’s best friend?

I’m not going to lie, this is a book like many others in terms of mystery. You have a case which is, of course, link
Elise (TheBookishActress)

This isn't a suspense book. Or, okay, let me edit that statement. This is a suspense thriller, technically, but I wouldn't recommend it as a suspense thriller. It's gritty and dark, yes, the mystery is interesting, yes, the plot is fast-paced, yes. But this book isn't getting my recommendation for its mystery. Far From You i
Giselle
Sep 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, arc
An emotionally raw story that combines mystery and romance, Far From You offers more than I expected. It's a poignant look into the life of a girl who's lived through tragedy after tragedy, which led her into a deep pit filled with pain, secrets, and addiction.

Told in alternating past and present timelines, we slowly learn exactly who Sophie is, what her relationship with Mina was like, and how it all led to today's misery. While I'm not always a fan of rotating past and present POVs, especially t
Sue (Hollywood News Source)

Sometimes a book will come along and it perfectly describes what I feel. All I could muster is to cry and cry, and to sigh in relief because I am not alone.

I think I'll never get back a part of me after this, whether it's the unknowing or my complete innocence. I could not highlight enough why this book is so important in fear of casually blurting a spoiler. But one thing I can totally guarantee, this book is life jarring. It's mark will certainly stay within me for quite sometime.

Far From You have a very sketchy
✨    jamieson   ✨

As soon as I started this book I knew it was the book for me. Far From You immediately places you into a setting thats a little gritty, with characters who are a little rough around the edges and honestly? thats what is great about this. I immediately draw comparisons with this book and Netflix' Riverdale - not
Dahlia
This has become the book I recommend the most frequently to readers who want to see LGBTQ YA done right, particularly because I think of all the letters in there, B (bisexuality) is the one I think is most often mishandled, misunderstood, and mistreated. That's not the case here, where I love the way it's done in the context of a thrilling mystery that's also about love, friendship, addiction, reliance, and recovery.
Sana

Holy moly this book hits right in the feels. I loved how the mystery unfolded. I loved the characters and I loved the plot. I loved the romance. I loved it.

description

So why did I not give this 5 stars?
Because I was not surprised by the killers identity. I was not shocked by whodunit and usually that's what makes a mystery book so interesting (for me).

When Sophie's best friend Mina is murdered and Sophie comes back a
Nenia ☠️ Hecka Wicked ☠️ Campbell
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Nenia ☠️ Hecka Wicked ☠️ by: Elise (TheBookishActress)

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

I have this terrible habit of buying books and not reading them. I'm a book magpie: the process of acquisition is almost as pleasurable, if not more so, as the act of reading itself. What this means is that I have a whole lot of unread books lying around and I'm constantly buying more instead of reading what I have. I'm trying to change that, though, and what better way than by stuffing books two or three at a time in my bag so they're there?

This is one of those books.

YA is not always my
Rebecca
I'm such a broken mess right now, holy shit.
Beatrix
"Reckless girls dancing down dirt roads, waiting to be saved from ourselves."

It’s very difficult for me to sum up my thoughts on FAR FROM YOU because while I liked the book, I didn’t love it.

In theory, this is a story about Sophie searching for her best friend’s killer. But in practice, it was a story about Sophie dealing with losing Mina. And that is fine, but I wanted more in the mystery department. When the big climax came and the revelation of who’s the killer I was left somewhat disappointed.

Howev
alana ♡
Apr 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wow this book... just WOW.

This is a book you could devour in one sitting because it's suspenseful and gut-wrenching at the same time. I really never wanted to put this book down when I was reading it because I needed to find out what happened.

I LOVED Sophie, Mina, and Trev. I loved the LGBT aspect of the story (I don't think I've ever read a book with one before), it worked so well and honestly I think that's what made the story so much more gut wrenching. Not only did Sophie lose her best fri
Emily (Obsessed Reader)
After finishing this book, I feel like I just came up for air after a swim in the deepest of oceans. This book is incredible as well as extremely important. All I can say is please read this.
Julie Zantopoulos
This was a Buzzwordathon read and while I do have the physical book I read the audiobook and man it was not easy to listen to at times. This comes with some serious trigger warnings and some self-care warnings for those who battle depression and addiction. That said, I found it to be really well written and I really loved the raw look at addiction in teens, chronic pain at a young age, love and loss. It was tragic and heartbreaking and I really enjoyed it.

Sophie has lost a lot in her seventeen
Monica
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although it took awhile to get to the "meat" of the story, it was beautifully written. The story centered around secrets, when to keep them, when to betray a trust, and when to let them all go and forgive yourself. Secrets are a topic that resonates with me, and most readers. The shocking conclusion came at a very fast moving 20 pages or so. I appreciated how the epilogues wrapped up most of my questions. Overall a solid mystery with a dose of teenage drama. Just as one expects from any YA novel ...more
Bee (Heart Full of Books)
Although the actual murder plot came together very slowly I really enjoyed the focus on Sophie and Mina's relationship (LGBT yay!) How we got to see their childhood up to it becoming something more, and then of course the build up to the night Mina was murdered. I wish there could've been a little more character development for Sophie, because Far From You mainly focuses on what the characters were like in the past. From all the YA thrillers I've read by now, you'd expect I at least saw the murd ...more
JenacideByBibliophile

…Damn.

THIS. This is exactly what I have been looking for in a book. Something that will bring me back to my young and innocent adolescent days. Something that makes me feel guilty for putting the book down, even if it was just for a moment. Something…where the plot and the writing are FANTASTIC. I started reading this book expecting a similar story to many other YA books I have read, but what I got, was pleasantly surprising.

This story takes us through flashbacks and present day surrounding ou
Joce (squibblesreads)
I read this with Emma from "Drinking by My Shelf" for the #GirlSex101BookClub!
I'm having trouble deciding on a rating because I LOVED the first 75% of it. The last 25% killed it for me, plot-wise. However, I'm not a very plot-focused reader but my issues in the last 25% were also kind of with the character development? AHH I DON'T KNOW. I'm probably going to go with 3.5 stars but in the long run, rating doesn't matter anyways so we'll just say 3.5...?
Faye, la Patata
I am not a big fan of contemporary books. Sure, I like reading about drama, especially about love, life, and family, but for some reason, drama set in the real world don’t really reel me in. Mysteries and conspiracies in made-up worlds appeal so much more to me than the realistic ones, but Far From You was a bit different in a way it reached out to me few other books could (i.e. Unteachable, If You Find Me). It had that rawness you rarely find in other books, and a sincerity and intensity that r ...more
Greyson Richter | Use Your Words
Mina hides behind her secrets and I wither away my soul with pills, and we are Just Fine, Thank You. Reckless girls dancing down dirt roads, waiting to be saved from ourselves.

4.5★'s

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck.
I don't even know where to start??? Like this was just sooooo good??? I mean, the suspense, thriller, murder plot was average at best, and arguably that's the whole point of this book right? Wrong! That's not at all what makes this book. What makes this book is literallclass="gr-hostedUserImg">
ourselves.
K.
I thought based on the cover of this book that it was going to be a pretty standard YA contemporary. This is what happens when I buy books because I read somewhere that the main character has chronic pain, which is perfect for a Diversity Bingo challenge. Because, yeah. This is a thriller.

This was an incredibly compelling story. It's not told in chronological order, and while I usually can't stand that as a plot device, it worked really effectively here as a way of building suspense. Sophie was
Disability in Kidlit
In flashbacks, the main characters uses a walker and a cane after being injured in a car accident. In the current timeline, she no longer uses assistive equipment. She walks with a limp due to her damaged leg and back and has chronic pain.

"Despite the different underlying causes of our disabilities—Sophie is in a car crash at the age of 14, whereas I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis at 18 months—Sophie’s coping mechanisms and emotional outlook surrounding her disability rang t
Ellis
Everyone who's ever told me to read this is a sadistic asshole and knows me too well.
Chelsea
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-star
September 2019 Reread
Mina led, and I followed. She hid, and I was her shelter. She kept secrets, and I guarded them. Mina lied, and so did I. Sometimes we were downright ruthless to each other. For once, it isn't some cotton-candy idea of her; it's who she was, in all of her maddening, heart-squeezing truth.

Dunno what past me was on calling the writing "sloppy" and the dialogue "dramatic".... Upon a closer read, I think this is a richly emotional novel that makes brilliant use of a nonlinear timeline.
Layla
Oct 22, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, lgbt-fiction
Ok, so Far From You is not a terrible book, but it's not a particularly memorable one either. The premise of the book is as follows: our protagonist, Sophie, is recovering from some fairly serious trauma - someone killed her best friend (view spoiler) Mina and she witnessed it. Also, because of her history of drug abuse, Sophie's family and peers blame her for Mina's death (i.e., why did you two go into that dark scary wood? For drugs! ...more
Shan( Shans_Shelves) 💜
Sandy
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Far From You is an emotional and compelling story that took me by complete surprise. This book follows Sophie, who has nearly died twice. First, it was a car accident that left her disabled and with an addiction to drugs to cope with her chronic pain. Second, it was what everyone thinks was a drug deal gone wrong where her best friend, Mina, was shot and killed in her presence but Sophie was left alive. However, Sophie has been in recovery for months when Mina was killed and is now determined to ...more
Wendy Darling

(view spoiler) Murder thriller? YES. In theory. But another case of like, not love.

Review to come.
Adele
[originally read in/on September 25-27/2014]
Tasha
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a very enjoyable read. I liked Sophie as a main character and the alternating chapters of past and present worked really well for the story. And the reveal had me shook. It also had me on the edge of my seat.
And YAY FOR A BISEXUAL MC.
Jaime Arkin
Far From You was a title I had my eye on for a while and when it popped up on netgalley, I knew I wanted to get my hands on it. Then I downloaded it and it sat.

There seems to be a trend, or at least maybe I just keep picking up the books that this happens in, where the story is not told in a linear timeline. That is the case here. I will say that I never once felt confused or thrown out of the story based on the bits and pieces of Sophie’s history that we get along the way.

You very
Jasmane Nolivo's Review #4 1 1 Oct 04, 2019 10:41PM
Jessica Schott Review #4 1 1 Oct 04, 2019 09:38PM
Beatrice Hickox Review #4 1 1 Oct 04, 2019 07:04PM

• Tabula Rasa (Tabula Rasa, #1)
  • Sekret (Sekret, #1)
  • Under the Lights (Daylight Falls, #2)
  • The Chance You Won't Return
  • Great
  • Made of Stars
  • Summer on the Short Bus
  • This Side of Salvation
I do not read my goodreads mail, but if you'd like to contact me the best way to reach me is tess(at)tess-sharpe.com

Born in a mountain cabin to a punk rocker mother, Tess Sharpe grew up in rural Northern California. She lives deep in the backwoods with a pack of dogs and a growing cabal of slightly feral cats. She is the author of Barbed Wire Heart, the critically-acclaimed YA novel, F
“But my heart isn't simple or straightforward. It's a complicated mess of wants and needs, boys and girls: soft, rough, and everything in between, an ever-shifting precipice from which to fall.” 80 likes
“We walk into the rest of our lives together, not knowing it'll end before it's truly started.” 40 likes