Start by marking “Daughters of Africa” as Want to Read:
Daughters of Africa

Daughters of Africa

4.39  ·  Rating details ·  66 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
An international anthology of words and writings by women of African descent--from the ancient oral tradition to the present. A monumental literary enterprise, it is the most inclusive anthology ever attempted of oral and written literature--in every conceivable genre--by women of African descent the world over. (Pantheon)

List of Contributors Continued:

Dorothy West, Caroli
Published February 1st 1994 by Ballantine Books (first published September 8th 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Daughters of Africa, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Daughters of Africa

Aubrey
Bemba. Xhosa. Kipsigi. Didinga. Somalia. Kgatla, Botswana. Yao. Sudan. Akan, Ghana. Khoikhoi, South Africa. Dahomey/Benin. Amhara, Ethiopia. ChiChewa and ChiTumbuka, Malawi. Tigray. Ancient Egyptian.
Between the day I started Daughters of Africa and today's finishing, I've made around 1350 edits to the Goodreads database based on this work's contents. More often than not, whenever I came across an author who didn't need my efforts, the lack was due to her inclusion in 500 Great Books By Women h
Zanna
Jul 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Zanna by: Aubrey
I read this because of Aubrey's review, please read it

Margaret Busby couldn't find the book she wanted, so she created it. More than a book, an act of resistance, a work of love, a gift. Samples of writing by Black women from all over the world, gathered and presented for delectation, for celebration, for the daughters of daughters. For you to decide what to read next, Reader, of all races and all genders, because we both know the publishers who think you would rather read another run-of-the-mil
Nebby
Nov 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites

Anthologies are my favorite because of this treasure! Blackness is not one portrait or image, it's a conglomerate of beauty that has been deposited and sprinkled globally. The anecdotes of the women who volunteered their stories in this book are absolutely powerful, and exemplifies accurate stories of and about women of color! If you want something diverse, expand your palette with this volume.
Stephanie
Aug 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: top-100
This is, simply, AN ABSOLUTELY AMAZING COLLECTION. I think I will be re-reading this for the rest of my life, and I know I'll ever get some of these stories out of my head. Fantastic collection of writers - some I had read before, but many new to me, so I've just (happily) increased my "to-read" pile quite a bit too!
Ryan Mishap
This 1,000 page anthology offers a wide range of voices, literary styles, topics, and experiences of women of African descent. Stretches back in time and across continents, well worth reading for the diversity of experience.
LeTara Moore
Aug 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This beautiful collection of writing is a treasure! Daughters of Africa reveals exactly how deeply a woman can love, hurt, hate and persevere. From the classic poetry to the more modern pieces, each contribution illustrates how women of color as a whole have overcome and the strength it took to do so. Some of the poetry, especially those from Sub-Saharan Africa, really touched me and made me feel things deep in my soul. I thoroughly enjoyed this anthology.
Redfawn
Nov 02, 2008 added it
Shelves: history
This book was a gift to me from the Occidental College Women's Studies department upon graduation.
Peter
Jul 28, 2017
Adam Azeris
Jun 20, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »
African-American ...: Daughters of Africa: (April 1 - June 30) Quarterly Read 32 48 Jul 24, 2016 06:21PM
500 Great Books B...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Daughters of Africa 1 58 Jul 21, 2015 12:10PM
  • Black Cool: One Thousand Streams of Blackness
  • Language for a New Century: Contemporary Poetry from the Middle East, Asia, and Beyond
  • The 100 Best African American Poems
  • Collected Poems
  • A Card from Angela Carter
  • Afrekete: An Anthology of Black Lesbian Writing
  • Decolonising the Mind: The Politics of Language in African Literature
  • The Sabi
  • Butterfly Burning
  • The Complete Stories
  • Suspended In Language: Niels Bohr's Life, Discoveries, And The Century He Shaped
  • Novel on Yellow Paper (Revived Modern Classic)
  • The Adoption Papers
  • Distant View of a Minaret and Other Stories
  • Efuru
  • Sarah Phillips
  • Indigo
  • Shaking a Leg: Collected Journalism and Writings
Margaret Busby OBE (Nana Akua Ackon) was born in Ghana, of part-Caribbean parentage, and educated in Britain. On graduating from London University in the 1960s she became the UK’s youngest and first Black woman publisher when she co-founded Allison & Busby Ltd, of which she was Editorial Director for 20 years.

She works as a writer, editor, consultant, reviewer and broadcaster.

She has served a