Start by marking “Rum: The Epic Story of the Drink That Conquered the World” as Want to Read:

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  67 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Rum: The Epic Story of the Drink That Conquered the World
Published July 1st 2005 by Citadel (first published June 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Rum, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rum

Patricia
Aug 26, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Let me begin by saying this book has some wonderful, detailed information about rum, rum's history, and the world's history as affected by rum. It strayed from the point here and there, and I was disappointed to not read anything about the alleged court case in 1970 over the invention of the Mai Tai (they say the court ruled in favor of Trader Vic). For the information in the book, solid 4 stars.

But why, you ask, does it get one star? Well, it gets one star because if I could give negative stars
Eric Zandona
Really 2.5 stars. While it covers more ground geographically it makes some incorrect claims. One bright spot about the book is its inclusion of historical rum recipes.
Alex Orr
Aug 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Somewhat reminiscent of "A History of the World In 6 Glasses", but not quite as tightly written. This is a book foremost about rum in history, and as such, leaves out a lot of information about the liquor itself. If you're interested in details regarding distilling, detailed overviews of individual rums, or even detailed histories of specific producers, you will be let down. However, as a rum-centric jaunt through large swaths of world-history, it's entertaining enough. I do think there are some ...more
Duzzlebrarian
Jan 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book very much - I especially enjoyed reading it with a glass of rum at my elbow.

The basic theme of the book is that rum helped fuel the integration of the world into the global economy we have today. It has penetrated into very diverse cultures, and has been adopted and adapted into different times and situations. Each chapter deals with a specific aspect of rum's history, such as rum and piracy, rum and religion, rum and Prohibition, rum and the army. Interestingly, each chapter
Mike
Oct 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone
One of many books that I read about beverages, social forces (fueled by beverages) and alcohol. Not all of them were great, or had sufficient research by the author (i.e. they repeated things which have been disproved). This book was good in most parts, with a few annoyances here and there. But, overall it is a good summary of "Kill-devil" and how it affected individuals, nations, and even continents.
Anna
May 31, 2017 rated it did not like it
I'm 21 pages in and I'm throwing in the towel with this one. There are factual inaccuracies which are almost mind-blowing in their unbelievability (eg Jean-Baptiste Labat did not invent the alembic still in 1693... that happened about 1400 years earlier).
The writing style is also flowery and at times offensively light-hearted. In the introduction he refers to the slave trade with phrases like "vendors of human beings" and "markets for their human wares" which disregards the suffering slaves end
Krista
Jan 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Perhaps because I used to live in the French West Indies and rum became a part of my life, I thoroughly enjoyed this detailed look at rum's past. Although it focused more closely on British and American experiences with the drink, especially in the military, it gave light to a number of literary references I hadn't been aware of in years past. Coulombe does not exclude the many islands around the world that planted sugar cane and started distilling rum, and now I have a desire to try them all.

T
Ryan
Jan 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
An interesting read that combined history and rum. Beginning with the so-called triangle trade in the 16th century up until the present day rum and important historic events combined very often. Specific areas of interest included the naval rum rations of the British and other navies as well as for soldiers of many countries. I was inspired in fact to purchase a bottle of the famous Pusser's Navy rum which is quite delicious. So if you enjoy Rum and history you will probably enjoy the book.
Mary Ann
Jul 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
Love the type of books that give you history with your hobby. Fun read if you wanna learn how to make a Rum Punch and learn about the Triangle Trade at the same time.
Amy
Aug 02, 2011 rated it liked it
This was a great book if you love rum and like history. There are good recipes throughout the book and an entry level explanation for the spread of slavery.
Dp4s
  • Liquid Jade: The Story of Tea from East to West
  • Uncorking the Past: The Quest for Wine, Beer, and Other Alcoholic Beverages
  • Beans: A History
  • Sugar: A Bittersweet History
  • Pickled, Potted, and Canned: How the Art and Science of Food Preserving Changed the World
  • The Devil's Cup: A History of the World According to Coffee
  • Vanilla: The Cultural History of the World's Favorite Flavor and Fragrance
  • Potato: A History of the Propitious Esculent
  • The Book of Gin: A Spirited World History from Alchemists' Stills and Colonial Outposts to Gin Palaces, Bathtub Gin, and Artisanal Cocktails
  • The Zen of Fish: The Story of Sushi, from Samurai to Supermarket
  • Sweetness and Power: The Place of Sugar in Modern History
  • Olives: The Life and Lore of a Noble Fruit
  • Curry: A Tale of Cooks And Conquerors
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • The Story of Tea: A Cultural History and Drinking Guide