Start by marking “The Forgotten Pioneer” as Want to Read:
The Forgotten Pioneer

The Forgotten Pioneer

“My grandfather was one of the first white men to set foot in Kenya when it was a newly discovered, barren and dangerous place. Neither he or his family ever imagined that he would fall under the spell of Africa and remain there for the rest of his life…”

Anthea Ramsay was inspired to write her grandparents’ story after being left their diaries, photographs and letters whic
Published December 1st 2013 by Troubador Publishing Ltd

To ask other readers questions about The Forgotten Pioneer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Forgotten Pioneer

Paul Falk
Oct 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
From considerable research to include treasured photographs and personal diaries, the author pieced together this heartwarming story that first took root with her grandparents'. Supporting the narrative along the way, a generous amount of photographs was sprinkled throughout. Faces emerged behind the prose adding luster to the storyline.

Leaving England in his wake, twenty-two-year-old George Ramsey made his debut into British East Africa. The year was 1898. He responded to an ad in a British new
Stephanie Jane (Literary Flits)
See more of my book reviews on my blog, Literary Flits

Anthea Ramsey first wrote this memoir as a record for her grandchildren so they could have some understanding of how their family had come to live in Kenya. I feel it is important to know this before embarking on the read because, although my interest was maintained throughout, this isn't a professional recounting of a family history and it wasn't intended to be. The book is a good starting point to explore the British in Kenya as Ramsey touc
Helen Mead
Jan 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
i loved this book as I was transported to a completely different world while reading it. I think the last reviewer has completely missed the point, as Ramsay makes it quite clear that she is simply writing a book about her family and her childhood memories. Yes, it is an easy read, but, nevertheless, a very good one!

I have read many books about Africa, but this is the first one I have read which has been written by the author whose family actually lived in Kenya from 1899. Ramsay takes us on a w
Tony Riches
Feb 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
I was a child in Kenya when the country gained independence, so was fascinated to read this very personal account by Anthea Ramsay. Drawing from her grandparents’ diaries and photographs, as well as her own memories as a child, this sometimes harrowing book describes what it was like to live in East Africa for the first white settlers. We then follow the adventures of Anthea’s family right through to the present day.

Taking real dangers in their stride, from wild animals to lawless Mau Mau rebels
Martha Keyes
Mar 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best books I have read about Kenya. As I have also lived there for much of my life, although I don't know the author, I can identify with so much of her book. Drawing from letters and diaries, she starts off with her grandparents' lives as early pioneers telling of all the hardships they endured to survive and help to make Kenya the thriving country it is today. She follows this with her parents lives living on the edge of the Happy Valley set and then her own life growing up ...more
Rebecca Stonehill
Jan 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book was a very interesting insight into the life of an early pioneer in Kenya. I particularly enjoyed the earlier sections of the book where the author relates tales of her fearless grandparents in the untamed wilds of Kenya in the early twentieth century. I also really enjoyed looking at all the photos. Very helpful for my research, thank you.
Alison
Oct 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
I thought this was a well written and utterly fascinating read of the authors family, which the author took from her grandparents diaries, letters and photos, her parents and of course her own memories of growing up there. The story starts with her Grandfather, George Ramsay who left England, to move to Africa in 1899, To work as an accountant for the newly started Uganda railway and later sending for his fiance to join him there.
From living in a tent, to eventually building various homes, this
Susie Kelly
Dec 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Such a fabulous read!

Memoirs and biographies are my favourite genre, and as an ex-Kenya girl having lived there at the same time as the author, and knowing many of the people and places she describes, I so loved this book,

From family archives and diaries the author brings to life the exploits of her grandfather who, in 1899 left his comfortable upper-class existence in London to embark on a new life in a country where a white face was a novelty.

Plenty has been written about Kenya’s ‘Great Whit
Jenny Boyce
Jan 11, 2014 rated it did not like it
I've read quite a few books about Africa, with many different subtopics. Because of my interest in African history I picked this book up from NetGalley thinking it would be a book I would enjoy, boy was I wrong.

The writing was extremely lacking in this book. It's very obvious that the author isn't really an author, rather just a girl writing about her family history/life. I found myself getting annoyed with the lackadaisical descriptions and storytelling.

The information in this book was also rel
Donna
Elizabeth Wilkes
rated it it was ok
Sep 19, 2018
Anthea Ramsay
Jun 06, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Anne Moore
Nov 10, 2018
edward
is currently reading it
Nov 22, 2018
I was born in Nairobi, Kenya, as was my father and attended The Valley Road Convent and Limuru Girls' School. I now live in Surrey with my husband and two cats. I have eight grandchildren and love spending time with them.

I love writing, and have nearly finished my second book about the plight of the Huguenots in France before and during The Revocation of the Treaty of Nantes in 1684. I also enjoy