Start by marking “The Plot Skeleton (Writing Lessons from the Front #1)” as Want to Read:
The Plot Skeleton (Writing Lessons from the Front #1)

The Plot Skeleton

(Writing Lessons from the Front #1)

In writing class, our teachers made sure we understood how to write a five-paragraph theme: introduction, thesis sentence, points one, two, and three, followed by the conclusion. But rarely did any teacher tell us how to write fiction--they simply urged us to write a story.

But how is that done? Angela Hunt has been writing and teaching for thirty years, and she has boiled
Published June 17th 2013 by HuntHaven Press (first published June 12th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Plot Skeleton, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Plot Skeleton

Carrie Daws
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a great little book! The method is clear and concise, and the author provided practical examples that were easy to catch on to. I'll be checking out more books in this series.
Abigail
Apr 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A good book to pick up and read before NaNoWriMo! :)
Lydia Howe
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is one of the only plot books I've read that actually makes sense. I haven't yet tried out the plot structure that the book describes, but I have sketched it out, and it looks reasonable. It's a very quick read and easy to understand.
T.H. Hernandez
May 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Dr. Angela Hunt has published over 130 titles and sold more than 4 million books. That alone was enough to get me to try her Writing Lessons series. That and the fact that each one is about 30 pages in length. Additionally, she teaches writing workshops at schools and writers' conferences, so she not only knows a thing or two about writing successful novels, but also has experience imparting her wisdom to other writers.

The Plot Skeleton breaks the plotting process down into a rather interesting
Jaguar
Jun 25, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle
This was an interesting read. Not the best writing book I have ever read. (I seriously recommend Writer Fast: 25 Powerful Ways to cut your writing time in half-5 stars!). The Positive: This book was something new that I have never read before and I think the plot skeleton was a good idea. The Negative: I didn't like how she kept going back to three movies-yes, movies, not the books! The movie is always different than the book! The movies she mentioned were 'The Wizard of Oz', 'Sound of Music' an ...more
Elizabeth
Dec 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: writing
A succinct (28 pages) work on the basics of plot structure. The author says she first developed this for elementary and high school age students, and I'm thinking that they'd be a good target audience for this book. It could also appeal to people who like to visualize what they're doing, since she relates parts of plot structure to the human skeleton. But I'm guessing many people would prefer reading a longer book that goes into more depth on the topic.
Jul 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is perfect for writers who are just starting out, or authors who have trouble visualizing how to plot out a book. This doesn't take long to read at all (maybe and hour) but it is worth it.

Even though this was very basic for me, I still found myself enjoying the book. Angela Hunt has a wonderful writing style that draws you in. it is not surprising that she is such a successful author.
August
Oct 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A HUGELY clever way to jot down the bones of a story, even within a few minutes. I'm filing this away as my future reference for when I have the itch to develop an idea but it isn't yet time to dump it into Scrivener.
Geoff Lynas
A very quick read. Accessible. Reading a lot of books about plotting and plot structure and this didn't add any particular insight. A useful starting point for new writers. Then maybe move on to James Scott Bell and Victoria Schmidt.
Kelly Allan
Jun 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Not anything mind-blowing, but a more conscience way to see plot.
February Four
Nov 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very condensed refresher, good for when you need a quick overview (though not a replacement for McKee's story IMHO.)
S. Willett
Feb 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great little book to brush up on the basics. Was the perfect gift from a dear friend.
Nicole Galloway-Miller
The book didn't really help me, but it would make a great elementary school activity to explain how a story works.
Angie
Jan 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Helpful and visual. Good examples are used to explain the points and it is a definite help when it comes to plotting stories.
Sandy Snavely
Feb 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: influences
I've read the whole series...the books are short and easy to digest. As a new writer to Christian Fiction, this series has been a huge help to me. I recommend it often.
Rhonda Tonkinson
Dec 31, 2013 rated it it was ok
Super short, fast read. These little books should have been combined into one regular book.
Jason Coleman
Jul 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Simple and clean way of getting a basic narrative together. If you want a quick overview of the essential story elements, you can't go wrong with this gem!
Bonnie Lacy
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reference
Short and sweet. A different way to gauge plot. Very easy to adapt to my projects.
Katie
I'm finished with The Plot Skeleton: good title. Love the visual aspect.Interesting way to illustrate well worn methods. It really sticks in your head when you imagine the skeleton.
Susan
Nov 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
GET THEM ALL AND WRITE!!!
Rachel
Jessica Lynne Martin
Jan 21, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Finding the Core of Your Story
  • Write Every Day: How to Write Faster, and Write More (Rock Your Writing, #4)
  • Plot Versus Character: A Balanced Approach to Writing Great Fiction
  • Million Dollar Outlines
  • Write Blog Posts Readers Love: A Step-By-Step Guide
  • The Christmas Tree Treasure Hunt
  • Noble Pursuits
  • Writing the Fiction Series: The Complete Guide for Novels and Novellas
  • Breaking Pride
  • The Editor's Eye: A Practical Guide to Transforming Your Book from Good to Great
  • Strike the Match (The Teacup Novellas, #2)
  • 10-Minute Watercolours (Collins Gem)
  • Christmas Vows: $5.00 Extra
  • How to Write: Advice and Reflections
  • The Dramatic Writer's Companion: Tools to Develop Characters, Cause Scenes, and Build Stories
  • 21 Songs in 6 Days: Learn Ukulele the Easy Way: Ukulele Songbook
  • Writer with a Day Job: Inspiration & Exercises to Help You Craft a Writing Life Alongside Your Career
  • Sell Your Book Like Wildfire: The Writer's Guide to Marketing & Publicity
Christy-Award winner Angela Hunt writes for readers who have learned to expect the unexpected in novels from this versatile author. With over three million copies of her books sold worldwide, she is the best-selling author of more than 100 works ranging from picture books (The Tale of Three Trees) to novels.

Now that her two children have reached their thirties, Angie and her husband live in Florid

Writing Lessons from the Front (10 books)
  • A Christian Writer's Possibly Useful Ruminations on a Life in Pages (Writing Lessons from the Front #0)
  • Creating Extraordinary Characters (Writing Lessons from the Front #2)
  • Point of View (Writing Lessons from the Front #3)
  • Track Down the Weasel Words (Writing Lessons from the Front #4)
  • Evoking Emotion (Writing Lessons from the Front #5)
  • Plans and Processes to Get Your Book Written (Writing Lessons from the Front #6)
  • Tension on the Line (Writing Lessons from the Front #7)
  • Writing Historical Fiction (Writing Lessons from the Front #8)
  • The Fiction Writer's Book of Checklists (Writing Lessons from the Front #9)
“The stakes—what your protagonist is risking—should increase in significance as the story progresses.” 0 likes
“One of the keys to good pacing is to alternate your plot complications with rewards. Like a pendulum that swings on an arc, let your character relax, if only briefly, between disasters.” 0 likes