Start by marking “Doctor Syn On The High Seas” as Want to Read:
Doctor Syn On The High Seas

Doctor Syn On The High Seas (Doctor Syn #2)

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  78 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Doctor Syn On The High Seas (chronologically the first in the Doctor Syn series) kicks off the bloody adventure of Christopher Syn.
Syn is a mild mannered Doctor of Divinity, until tragedy and fate lead him to a life on the high seas as the bloodthirsty Captain Clegg...
Mass Market Paperback, 160 pages
Published 1972 by Arrow Books (first published 1935)

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Syn On The High Seas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor Syn On The High Seas

Hank
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This edition has not been thoroughly edited. There are typos/missing characters on almost every page. These could have been caught by a "spell-check" program or a human reader. This edition also needs edits for content and language.
Jim Dooley
May 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh, so many years ago, as a child growing up with a regular Sunday night show, WALT DISNEY'S WONDERFUL WORLD OF COLOR (a "not miss" show at our house), I fell in love with a three-episode segment called THE SCARECROW OF ROMNEY MARSH. To this day, I can still sing the lyrics to the theme song. It told the story of an English parson by day, Dr. Syn, who became a feared smuggler by night. It remains one of my favorites of all Disney stories.

Years later, I was to learn that the Disney folks greatly
Martin Allen
Jul 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall, a short rip-roaring yarn set locally in Dymchurch and then on the 'high seas'. This is the second book by Russell Thorndyke, written after the success of his first Dr Syn novel, but the first chronologically in the life of local vicar, Dr Syn, aka The Scarecrow, who in the original story is a kind of Robin Hood dual personality smuggling hero. I have chosen to read the series in 'life chronology' order so have started with the second book. I chose these stories because of the locale, be ...more
Justin  K. Rivers
Mar 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
Chronologically first in the Doctor Syn series (the first book is the last chronologically), Syn on the High Seas kicks off the bloody adventure of Christopher Syn. The core story is really told in this book and in the next, Doctor Syn Returns. The subsequent books are along the lines of "and they had many adventures." Here, Syn is a mild mannered Doctor of Divinity, until tragedy and fate lead him to a life on the high seas as the bloodthirsty Captain Clegg. It's well-plotted pulp adventure, wi ...more
3.5 stars This must be at least the third time I've listened to Rufus Sewell's reading of the Doctor Syn books for BBC radio. The swashbuckling and adventure are highly entertaining, and Sewell has a great voice for audio-books. Chronologically, the adventure starts with book 2 and 3: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00d96c2
Tweedledum
The first book in the Dr Syn Saga he we meet the brilliant young theologian Christopher Syn whose life and destiny is changed forever when his beautiful bride is stolen away by a jealous rival. Syn gives up the cloth to hound the errant pair across the seven seas. I first discovered these books while holidaying in Dymchurch aged 10 or 11 and have loved them ever since.
Trish
Aug 24, 2015 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I'd never heard of Doctor Syn until we visited the Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch Railway this summer, and Doctor Syn was the name of the engine pulling the train we were on. Then we found the books in the station bookstore.
Dave
Dec 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
A good yarn well told, but if you are offended by the N word beware as this book was written quite a while back. Still I enjoyed this tale of the sea and look forward to reading the rest of the series.
Dex
May 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Chronologically, the first of the Doctor Syn novels. Easy reading historical pulp fiction that rattles along at a fine pace. A perfect pocket novel for commuter travel. And now onto the next in the series.
Evelyn Klebert
Aug 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My favorite of the Dr. Syn series. Such a great anti-hero!!
Don
Feb 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
It's clear why this book was not part of the Disney movie. Quite violent with some racism.
Tonytheprof
Mar 10, 2013
Bryan
Feb 10, 2013
W. Nicol
rated it did not like it
Sep 16, 2014
Mar 15, 2014
Sattam A
Oct 31, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
Arthur Russell Thorndike (6 February 1885, Rochester, Kent – 7 November 1972) was a British actor and novelist, best known for the Doctor Syn of Romney Marsh novels. Lesser known than his sister Dame Sybil Thorndike but just as versatile, Russell Thorndike's first love was for the pen and, following service in World War I, he devoted himself to writing.
He was born in Rochester, Kent, where his fat
More about Russell Thorndike...

Doctor Syn (7 books)