Start by marking “Crossing the Chasm: Marketing and Selling Disruptive Products to Mainstream Customers” as Want to Read:

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  22,999 ratings  ·  607 reviews

The bible for bringing cutting-edge products to larger markets—now revised and updated with new insights into the realities of high-tech marketing

In Crossing the Chasm, Geoffrey A. Moore shows that in the Technology Adoption Life Cycle—which begins with innovators and moves to early adopters, early majority, late majority, and laggards—there is a vast chasm between the ear

Kindle Edition, Third Edition, 288 pages
Published January 28th 2014 by HarperBusiness (first published November 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Crossing the Chasm, please sign up.

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Crossing the Chasm: Marketing and Selling Disruptive Products to Mainstream Customers
Jeff Ski Kinsey
In 2003 I reached a simple conclusion: I knew nothing about Marketing. Having created a Marketing company during college (after owning several businesses and spending more than a year selling advertising for a newspaper) with paying customers and everything!

So, I immersed myself in learning everything possible about Marketing in the context of small privately held firms. After seven years, I can honestly say that I now know nothing about Marketing... except that I know more than 99% of the peopl
Charles Ames
Jul 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing. This book lays out the mechanics of formulating and evolving a marketing strategy by exploring an extreme boundary case: introducing a fundamentally new product to the marketplace. The principles are relevant to all businesses everywhere. However, it would be wrong to view this book as a simple roadmap, because it is very hard to know where on the map you're starting. Do you really have something that will be regarded as a "disruptively innovative pro ...more
WhatIReallyRead
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to WhatIReallyRead by: a teacher at Digital Product Marketing class
It was to the point, usable, concise and competent. Exactly what I would want in a book I'm reading for work. It's a rather short book, but still it took me over half a year to finish!

It was pretty good:

- a well-articulated model describing high-tech marketing on various stages of its adoption life cycle;
- clear implications of adopting such a model were presented and well-organized;
- the author gave examples of real-world products and how the model applies to them;
- there were instructions and
Will Chou
Lots and lots of opinions, directions, and instructions with very few reasons and evidence (let alone science) to back it up. The stories and anecdotes that are mentioned to back up points are cherry picked. Research on the credibility, track record, and net worth of the author only made my skepticism increase.
I cant say his directions are wrong. But I wasn't convinced they were right.
I'm sure many other people have failed to even consider these components before rushing to implement on his ad
Milhouse Van Houten
good one..
must read!!

Read and enjoy:)
Abdelrahman
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For a reason, this book should be labeled as a textbook, not like a free-time one. It took months to finish it and yet I believe I need to recap, revise and find other summaries for it.

Although I got the 1997 edition, it is yet relevant to the high tech industry nowadays. Yet, found it hard to get the examples of the 90s companies that are no giants, or even exists, now.
Vlad Ardelean
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I didn't know much about marketing, so this gets 5 stars

The book adressed a lot of issues relevant to my current company directly.

First of all, the chasm model applies in B2B scenarios. This is not a b2c marketing book even if some ideas do apply.

What I found interesting was that this book provides this model describing 5 different types of customers. Then we find ways in which to address these customers, the proper timings, the proper sales pitches, the product pricing, the competitors, the str
Adrian
Oct 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book gives a fresh and powerful set of tools to help navigate the stages of product life, as well as covering honestly some of the hard decisions that must be made. A great book for those interested in making their technology sustainable and more than just a passing fad.

These are among the dozens of passages of greatest interest and value to me:

Page 8 Most important lesson of crossing the chasm
Page 25 discovering the chasm
Page 39 last paragraph, what technology enthusiast want
Page 49 last
Lou Robinson
Hmmm. I’m not sure I would have read this unless it had been chosen as the uk it book club pick, not really my bag (you know what I’m like with any non-fiction really). But it wasn’t dreadful, in fact I quite enjoyed the first few scene setting chapters, particularly where the book had been updated and referenced some recent company examples. It was ok.
Andriy Bas
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Great analysis of the product lifecycle. Must read for any product manager or entrepreneur.
Maurício Linhares
So, product development!

I wasn't really sure if this was going to be for me (and the latest edition is form 1998, so, it might have been a bit dated) but this was actually a great surprise. The idea of the chasms when marketing products, specially in tech, really resonates with what happens in the market and we can compile a huge list of companies and products that have died somewhere along the way while trying to cross one of the chasms to become a mainstream product.

The book defines markets as
Boris
It's a classic... and the point it makes is solid (more or less, that the skills needed to make an innovative product for early adopters are very different from those to make a mass market whole product).

That said it's very dated, and most of the advice pertains to large products. The paradigm it establishes has no room for crowdfunding, or for companies like 37signals that don't hardsell anyone. It's a very sales-driven viewpoint on things for a corporate world that's very focused on the bottom
Carl Rannaberg
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very good book about transitioning between marketing and selling from early-adopters to mainstream customers. This transition is called chasm as it doesn’t happen smoothly. There need to be fundamental changes how the company markets and sells it’s product. Mainstream customers need other mainstream customers to recommend your product. That’s right there is the chasm. The solution is to solve niche issues and then expand as you have references from mainstream customers. For example you have do ...more
Beam Pattadon
Nov 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
[Summary] Successfully getting lead users is different from successfully entering mainstream market.

Traditional technological product adoption cycle has a huge flaw on its premise. It assumes that the adoption of the product will automatically diffuse from early users (technologist and visionary users) to followers (early majority, late majority, and laggard). In fact, we should concern about the different set of paradigm in which we use to attract and communicate with both group. Early users w
Nathanael
Jun 25, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I began this book exploring a product to launch and finished it working in the business services industry. This juxtaposition helped me make sense of Moore's analysis and see its limitations.

For high-tech, or most new products, Moore is spot on. There is an adoption curve and the key challenge for success in these kinds of ventures is moving from early adopters to the mainstream. His strategy (summed as 'focus') is the way to conquer this challenge.

For services, I'm not as sure. My business is d
Neelesh Marik
Aug 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is certainly one of the most insightful business books i have ever read. It is of biblical importance to anyone in the technology business, especially operating in a B2B scenario.

Apart from a cogent theoretical framework, it provides high practical, and actionable advice on how to move from one segment to the next in a technology adoption life cycle. It has certainly shown me the wrong assumptions we have made in our own business, and why.

The book helps consultants create a concrete service
Cameron
Feb 10, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Every MBA that I know has since told me that this is a classic, and I can see why. I never knew where the concept of early adopters and the technology adoption life cycle came from. The book is well written, has a compelling concept -- the "chasm" that must be crossed from visionaries and innovators to mainstream use in tech companies and that this crossing requires completely different techniques and types of people -- and is SHORT. I love short business books.

Thanks to Will, my sculptor/altern
Dmytro Shteflyuk
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, business
I have never stopped to think about how a company gets from an early product into the mainstream, even tho I have been working in tech for ages. Have experienced the chasm so many times, but this is the first time I hear the word itself and had no clue that this is a normal growth process, and there is a logical explanation for what is happening. There are too many eye-opening ideas, including (but not limited to) product lifetime stages, target audiences segmentation, tips on how to cross the c ...more
Jacob Wighton
I picked this up thinking it was a mountaineering book, based on the title. Turns out it’s actually about marketing high-tech products in a B2B context.

I thought this was really well written. I’ve had it recommended by a number of lecturers and I can see why. The main idea is that breaking into mainstream markets is best achieved by first narrowing the firm’s focus to a specific segment where the product can be established as the clear leader.

Although the subject matter gets a little dry, Moore’
Sebastian Gebski
Classic & a-must-get-familiar-with for all interested in building high-tech product.
Why "a-must-get-familiar-with" but not "a-must-read"? Because the concept presented is very interesting & vital, but the book itself is at most average. The parts worth the greatest attention are 0-20% & 50-60%, the rest is a bit boring & repetitive, but fortunately not outdated (latest edition was updated in early 2010s).

Another slice of advice: this is a _marketing_ book. Vast background on the subject is not r
Viral
Apr 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this a great fundamentals book for any technologist or product manager (not mutually exclusive) to read. There are some really evergreen pointers on developing markets, product positioning and more. It's clear that a lot of product strategy books drew inspiration from Crossing the Chasm. One drawback is that there are some outdated references and examples, but most are still relevant.
Ana Rodrigues
Nov 15, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book peaked my interested when I saw this graph and book reference in the Cloud Native Computing Foundation website.

I had the opportunity to pick this book up from a little library in the company that I work at, and I thought why not?

Although I am not interested in marketing, it was very interesting to learn about the Technology Adoption Life Cycle.

The history of some companies was also nice, but it fell flat for the ones that I had never even heard of the company nor their products.

Sadly,
Pedro Henriques
May 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible-playlist
Most of the concepts have now been ingrained into anyone working in business development. Still a good read as a practical guide to anymore bringing a product to the mainstream market after early success. Not a relevant book to the general public.
Most important ideas will probably be 'owning the niche' early on and the need to adapt the org and sales strategy as the technology adoption lifecycle progresses.
Vagelis Kotsonis
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2019
Maybe the most useful book an entrepreneur can read. It is a must read for anyone that is in the business of developing and selling products.

The thing I really loved about this book is its structure. Every chapter has specific goals and in the end of each chapter a checklist with actions to do makes it a handbook for success in what you do!

It is not the kind of book you read once, but the book that you go back every time you want to rethink strategic development of your company.
Leonardo Longo
Jun 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hung Nguyen
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Essential reading for any B2B entrepreneur. Moore's principles for "crossing the chasm," - the critical period between marketing to early adopters and more pragmatic buyers - are extremely compelling and practical. I found the examples and case studies relatable and useful, and will revisit again and again. Plus, my old company Visible Measures got a great shoutout in it.
Ties
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Highly recommended marketing strategy book. I think it holds up extremely well, if not being more applicable than ever with more and more companies and businesses effectively being hight tech businesses.

The authors examples and insights have since mostly been proven. Also very impressive.

If this doesn't inspire thinking about your marketing strategy and efforts I don't know what will.
Kelsey
Sep 07, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first marketing book I've read, so I don't have much to compare it with, but to be completely honest, this book was a drag to read. At the very least, I learned about the chasm that exists between the early market and the mainstream market, and I learned Geoffrey Moore's strategy for getting technology companies across that chasm as quickly as possible.
Paweł Górski
One of the best marketing books I’ve read. If I have to pick a single thing I’ve learnt, that’s probably about the importance of finding and winning a single market segment and focus all resources on that goal in order to pave the way to the mainstream market.
Alexandra
This was an interesting book about the peculiarities of different segment population. Unfortunately it just never captivated me even though I wanted to be rapt. It is a classic.

"You do not have to pick the optimal beachhead to be successful. What you must do is win the beachhead you have picked."
Fix post visibility in Facebook? Call Facebook customer service. 1 1 Apr 05, 2020 08:45AM
Lac Viet Audio ban loa gia da gia re 1 1 Aug 22, 2019 08:33PM
online taxi booking 1 1 Jul 24, 2019 11:35PM
any tech related books you know? about internet 1 2 Apr 16, 2019 03:10AM
AOL Desktop Gold Support 1 3 Aug 30, 2018 11:17PM
Goodreads Librari...: Please add cover for Crossing the Chasm audiobook 2 9 Apr 08, 2018 07:17PM

• The Innovator's Dilemma: The Revolutionary Book that Will Change the Way You Do Business
  • The Effective Executive: The Definitive Guide to Getting the Right Things Done
  • Hooked: How to Build Habit-Forming Products
  • The Long Tail: Why the Future of Business is Selling Less of More
  • Blue Ocean Strategy: How to Create Uncontested Market Space and Make the Competition Irrelevant
  • Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap... and Others Don't
  • Zero to One: Notes on Startups, or How to Build the Future
  • First, Break All the Rules: What the World's Greatest Managers Do Differently
  • Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking When Stakes Are High
  • Inspired: How to Create Tech Products Customers Love
  • Positioning: The Battle for Your Mind: How to Be Seen and Heard in the Overcrowded Marketplace
  • Blitzscaling: The Lightning-Fast Path to Building Massively Valuable Companies
Geoffrey Moore is an author, speaker, and advisor who splits his consulting time between start-up companies in the Mohr Davidow portfolio and established high-tech enterprises, most recently including Salesforce, Microsoft, Intel, Box, Aruba, Cognizant, and Rackspace.

Moore’s life’s work has focused on the market dynamics surrounding disruptive innovations. His first book, Crossing the Chasm, focus

News & Interviews

“pragmatists are more interested in the market’s response to a product than in the product itself. What” 3 likes
“This material focuses primarily on marketing, because that is where the leadership must come from,” 3 likes