Start by marking “The Cat Who Played Post Office (Cat Who... #6)” as Want to Read:
The Cat Who Played Post Office (Cat Who... #6)

The Cat Who Played Post Office

(Cat Who... #6)

an alternate cover edition can be found here

Inheriting unexpected millions has left reporter Jim Qwilleran looking like the cat who swallowed the canary. While his two Siamese cats, Koko and Yum Yum, adjust to being fat cats in an enormous mansion, Qwilleran samples the lifestyles of the rich and famous by hiring a staff of eccentric servants. A missing housemaid and a sho
Mass Market Paperback, 262 pages
Published December 1st 1987 by Berkley Books

To ask other readers questions about The Cat Who Played Post Office, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cat Who Played Post Office

James
Book Review
4 of 5 stars to The Cat Who Played Post Office, the 6th book in the Cat Who mystery series, by Lilian Jackson Braun. This is one of my favorite books in the whole series. It's actually the book that really changes the series, moving Qwill from the urban city atmosphere to 400 miles north of everywhere. Yes, some changed in the previous book, number 5, but this is the one where Qwill had to make some decisions about his future. His Aunt Fanny has passed away, leaving him millions o
Ange H
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am almost positive this was the first “The Cat Who…” book I ever read - many, many years ago. In the past I’ve read them as I found them and I believe they stand on their own; but I’m really enjoying this chronological march through Qwill’s adventures. Also, my memory is for shit anymore so it’s like reading them all for the first time. Anyway, the 6th book in the series is a good one.

This time, Qwill's beat was ... being a millionaire.

Having decided to take the offer he couldn’t refuse, he an
Kaila
Mar 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have to say that so far this is one of the best in The Cat Who series as far as suspense and unexpected plot twists are concerned. Lilian Jackson Braun is one of my favorite escapist authors and as such I usually know what is going to happen but the characters keep me engaged. Not so with this book. I thoroughly enjoyed the twists and turns in this one and I could not put it down until I finished it.

Qwill starts the story in the hospital after someone tries to run him over during his daily bik
Kirsti
Dec 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Cat lovers, Mystery lovers, Animal detective fans
What I liked most about this book is that it really feels like the bridge between two huge parts of Qwill's life, that if being a renowned crime reporter, and the beginning of his life in Mooseville and inheriting the Klingenschoen fortune. I like how this one starts with Qwill's loss of memory, and Arch having to remind him. This is one of my favorites in the series, because I prefer the Pickaxe books to the books set 'Down Below'.

These books are definitely for cat lovers, and for those who lov
Athimar
Sep 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We were presented with an unusual cliffhanger at the end of the last novel. Jim Qwileran (Qwill) was left an enormous fortune in inheritance, provided he remain living in the Pickaxe area for five years. He was also offered his life-long dream assignment back in the big city. While this might seem a no brainer for most, Ms. Braun's convincing portrayal of this man and his dedication to his profession truly left this reader wandering what he would decide to do.

In a stroke of genius, Ms. Braun del
Lora Shouse
Apr 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I couldn’t remember whether this was a book I had read before, so went on and bought it anyway. As it turns out, this is one I had read, so it is a re-read for me. However, this is one of the best Cat Who … books, so it was not a difficult task at all.

James Qwilleran and his two Siamese cats, Koko and Yum Yum, have officially moved to Pickax City in Moose County. He has been required to live in Moose County for five years to claim his inheritance of the Klingenschoen fortune. Almost immediately,
Diana
Re-read 2019

This is the first book that takes Jim Qwilleran out of the big city and transplants him to a small town. His mother's best friend has died and left him her fortune. He starts a foundation to help the town her family helped start. However, there is a stipulation in her will that he needs to live in Pickax City or forfeit the inheritance. So he moves into her mansion, once he starts fixing it up he discovers a mystery over a missing maid. While investigating her more people that are li
Ruth
Oct 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: us-cosy
What a delight! I'm revisiting some of The Cat Who books on audio at the moment and this one was so enjoyable. George Guidall is such a lovely narrator, I couldn't imagine anyone else doing it as well.
Amanda Meggs
Feb 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cat-who, cosy-mystery
Without Koko Jim would be lost. Koko is definitely the brains behind the outfit.
Randy
May 24, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read (actually listened to) most the "Cat Who" books before GoodReads, so I don't have an accurate listing of the books I enjoyed. I just know that when I needed a comfortable and uplifting change in my audio books in the car, I would grab the oldest Cat Who CD book off of the shelf at the library. So, now I'm thinking I want to fill in the books I haven't enjoyed yet... problem... I'm not sure if I have listened to them or not. So, this one, I *think* enjoyed before. I am also just putting 3 ...more
Elizabeth Newton
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
After an accident leaving Jim Quilleran with temporary amnesia, he slowly learns that he has inherited a fortune and that someone may be trying to deliberately 'rub him out'due to the questions he's been asking about the disappearance of a young girl. Koko the cat is using his brilliant, unfathomable clue-finding skills to help Quill solve a mystery that the town he finds himself in would rather just leave swept underneath the rug.
The Cat Who... series is always such a joy to read, particularly
Violet
The best in the series.
Geez louise, why is it called a cozy mystery, the story was heart brokenly dark.
Yeah yeah, most of characters are adorable loonies and cats are the brains of the whole affair, but ouch, my heart. And I don't even have one. The doctors confirm.
Joy Gerbode
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Early in the book I wasn't loving it ... but as it went on I began to enjoy this story. It was really about the cat solving a years old mystery ... and it was kind of fun.
Helen
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable as always
Mskarla
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ok, I’m finished with this series. The plots are ridiculous and I’m getting tired of the older guy who only likes younger women garbage. He can take himself and his silly mustache elsewhere.
Chazzi
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I enjoy this series of books for quick get-away reads. Last night I sat down to start it and wound up reading the whole book in one sitting of a few hours. It was a great escape.

In an unusual turn of events, Qwill has inherited a fortune in money and an old mansion furnished with an incredible collection of antiques. The catch is that it is in the small town of Pickax City in Moose County, north of where he was living, and he has to live in Moose County for five years to become vested in this in
Carol
Mar 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First Read: 01/01/1989: I have to say that so far this is one of the best in The Cat Who series as far as suspense and unexpected plot twists are concerned. It is one of her earlier books in The Cat Who series and she's really doing a superb job. She's a bit of an unusual writer - destroys important and loved things, and kills off well liked characters. But I like Qwillerin and the cats - and there is always lots of books and food in the stories, so I enjoy them! I think she tries not to be pred ...more
Roger Verstraete
Characters
Jim Qwilleran: Prize-winning reporter with a nose for crime.
Koko: Siamese cat with extraordinary talents to assist in solving mysteries.
Yum Yum: The other Siamese cat; the sweet one.
Melinda Goodwinter: Qwill's present girlfriend, a doctor in Pickax.
Penelope Goodwinter: Along with her brother, Alex, she is Qwilleran's lawyer.
Daisy Mull: Former maid, working for Aunt Fanny, disappeared five years ago.
Arch Riker: Qwill's best friend from Down Below, an editor for the Daily Fluxion.
Amanda
Writerlibrarian
Nothing is like it seems and Pickax is not a quiet little town 400 miles north of everywhere. Qwill soon finds out that the town has dirty little secrets and some are quite dangerous to investigate.

The overall plot is interesting if somewhat thin but that's expected in this series but since it's early days in Moose County, the gallery of characters I came to love are just paper thin dolls in this instalment.

We meet or get to know more the infamous Amanda Goodwinter, shop owner and designer; her
Rage
Feb 18, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't remember marking so many books from this series read, much less having actually read them. To be fair, it's been at least 10 years since I was reading this series. This felt like almost the first book in the series to me, so I'm surprised it's #6. There are a lot of familiar characters, but some are noticeably absent (well, mostly Polly). The characters aren't what I remembered, either; I think everything mellows out, to some extent, with age... but I liked reading about Qwill in his new ...more
Lisa Kucharski
Mar 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed reading about how a "down under" guy tries to fit into the small community of Pickaxe. (down under = north of Pickaxe not Australia)

In this story Qwill moves into the big estate home he inherited and finds a curious trunk of items that someone left. A young girl, from the seedy part of town, who worked but then got fired cause she didn't work. In his trying to find out about the girl's whereabouts he basically kicks a hornets nest and stirs up all sorts of trouble.

Again, love the charac
Mandy
Aug 11, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another really enjoyable yarn. I enjoy reading this series of books. The characters, especially Quill and Koko are likeable, although the cat's antics are unlike anything my own two cats would get up to. However, I don't let this get in the way of a good story.
Here there is a girl who has been missing for five years and no-one seems to have realised that something may happened to her. The truth comes out in the end with a really surprising twist right on the last page............
Do go and try th
Joy
Mar 16, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-cat-who
I could not stand his girlfriend in this one she was to pushy.
Mike (the Paladin)
And Qwill's ship finially comes in. He (and by extention Koko and Yum Yum) inherit from Aunt Fanny...a mansion and potential comfort.

Spoiler below:
The discription of the library in the mansion really got to me (despite the presence of certain types of books I have no interest in). When later the library (along with the house) burns down the only thing I could think of in the fire...was the library burning. All those books.
Jessica
Jun 30, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5 stars. I just really don't like these books as much as I did when I started. They're OKAY, but I definitely don't love them. I will continue the series for now, just because I enjoy the settings, the murder mysteries, and the cats.

But Qwill is still very unlikeable. He thinks every woman he meets wants to go on a date with him, when he is ALREADY dating someone who wants to marry him!

Hello?!

Ugh. Also, I thought the twist at the end of this book was really lame.
Susan
Sep 05, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
Jim Qwilleran’s recent accident leaves him with little memory of recent events, and the little he remembers doesn’t seem to add up. So, was it really an accident? Jim (aided by helpful hints from his two Siamese cats) finds only more mystery as he investigates. A clever premise, but the more he investigates, the less plausible the plot becomes.

Alayne
Jan 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always enjoy Lilian Jackson Braun's The Cat Who... series, even though they are fairly far-fetched. This one sees Koko figuring out that there has been a murder, which leads Qwill to investigate, instigating two more murders and an attempt to kill Qwill. Each time I read one, I want to get a Siamese cat!
it'chy
Mar 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: w
must have read this too fast

p232: knits some things for the baby.... n w there are pages torn out... aptil thirtieth, she cries all night.
Karla
Exactly what I needed. A break from the dark and serious with this light, animated mystery. It was an entertaining quick read, very juvenile and perfect for those pre-teens interested in mysteries.
MK
These books will always be some of my favorite "I don't know what I'm in the mood for" reads.
The Women's Myste...: The Cat Who Played Post Office #6 1 2 Aug 09, 2013 09:52PM

• Murder at Monticello (Mrs. Murphy #3)
  • The Cat Who... Cookbook: Delicious Meals and Menus Inspired By Lilian Jackson Braun
  • A Cat of a Different Color (Alice Nestleton Mystery #2)
  • Cat in a Diamond Dazzle (Midnight Louie, #5)
  • Sleight of Paw (A Magical Cats Mystery, #2)
Lilian Jackson Braun was an American writer. She is well-known for her light-hearted series of The Cat Who... mystery novels. The Cat Who books center around the life of former newspaper reporter James Qwilleran, and his two Siamese cats, KoKo and Yum Yum in the fictitious small town of Pickax located in Moose County, "400 miles north of everywhere." Although never formally stated in the books, th ...more

Cat Who... (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • The Cat Who Could Read Backwards (Cat Who..., #1)
  • The Cat Who Ate Danish Modern (Cat Who..., #2)
  • The Cat Who Turned On and Off (Cat Who..., #3)
  • The Cat Who Saw Red (Cat Who... #4)
  • The Cat Who Played Brahms (Cat Who... #5)
  • The Cat Who Knew Shakespeare (Cat Who..., #7)
  • The Cat Who Sniffed Glue (Cat Who... #8)
  • The Cat Who Went Underground (Cat Who... #9)
  • The Cat Who Talked to Ghosts (Cat Who... #10)
  • The Cat Who Lived High (Cat Who... #11)