Start by marking “Gone to Ground” as Want to Read:
Gone to Ground

Gone to Ground

Following a deadly outbreak of influenza which decimates the population of the planet, the government issues orders that all remaining citizens are to report to designated Authorized Population Zones so that resources may be fairly distributed.

Journalist Maggie Langton, determined not to let her son, Mark, grow up in the dangerous environment of the APZ, decides to run f
Published January 11th 2014 by CT Communications (first published December 30th 2013)

RJ
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Get ready for an entertaining yet ominous look at a potential future. An influenza pandemic eliminates the majority of life in our world. In our government's tradition of “never let(ing) a serious crisis go to waste” i.e. Rahm Emanuel; our leaders see an opportunity to set the green initiative on a solid path while remedying the roots of global warming. Our protagonists James O'Reilly and Maggie Langton disagree with the government's plan and are avoiding their attention for different reasons. O ...more
Dennis Crotts
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jeff
Jul 29, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not the typical post-apocalyptic story. It's made somewhat more realistic by the inclusion of characters of all ages. Although Rhett Samuel Price attempts to give distinctive voices to these characters, he can't pull it off. Furthermore, his narration is overly melodramatic and he mispronounces several words such as modern and pattern. His performance is below par. The story is good, though, and worth enduring the lackluster performance.

Note: I was given this free review copy audiobook
Jan Crossen
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! It was so easy to buy into the characters and situation. At one point I was yelling out loud, “Oh, sh_t, No, No, don’t do it!” The settings are interesting and so is the story line. This is the first book in an exciting series. It is filled with suspense and adventure. I am so looking forward to the sequel! By the way, it’s available on Kindle Unlimited…just saying.

Ian Denner
Feb 05, 2019 rated it did not like it
Not good

I did not enjoy this book at all. In fact, it was one of the few books that I wish I could have given a negative rating.
Katherine
Apr 24, 2014 rated it liked it
This was a good read. Although some of the basic plot (government corruption / takeover) was along the same line as many of the genre, I thought the author handled it well. And, as other reviewers said, the ending was predictable, but the author didn't dwell on the "big reveal" enough to make you regret getting there. Overall, I liked the story. The characters were a bit unbelievable, but that is compared to say your average American. I also understand we are reading fiction so you are going to ...more
Y.I. Lee
Mar 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. On the whole it was well written, although there were a number of editing and formatting issues. Nevertheless, for me, it didn't detract from the story. The further I got into the book, the tension increased dramatically, so much so, I found I was still reading late into the night.
The ending was interesting, but at the risk of a spoiler, I can't say anything.
I liked the characters, especially O'Reilly.
Never having been to the US, I found the authors writing descripti
Pat
Apr 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Gone to Ground was my cup of coffee

I mostly read this book for 3 days. I love thrillers, love stories, travel, surviving off the land, horses, dogs, and children. This novel had it all, Some other reviewers criticize typos. My comment is that word processors sometimes make improper substitutions.
This book is a futuristic Swiss Family Robinson crossed with 1984 social engineering. I recommend it.
CHRISTINE WORKMAN
Jun 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book

I hope the next installment comes soon, I hate waiting when it is such a good story line with great characters. this is a book that everyone should enjoy but also make them think. I am not a prepper and love these kind of stories, but I think we should all start thinking about where our world is going and who is taking us there.
Tom Harrington
Apr 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Just okay.

Nothing spectacular here as the story is similar to many others of the genre,but a decent read nonetheless. And, surprisingly, incredibly few grammatical or spelling errors! That is not typical of Kindle books, but the author or publisher apparently retained a good editor. Kudos for that!
Patricia A Enlow
Oct 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book!

Just finished reading this book. I found it really interesting, first because we live in the part of Arizona the story takes place in. But then the story really got to me, Could something like this really happen? It seems to me to be possible. Very well written!
Roxanne Foux
Jul 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Believable

I know that our country and the world, is headed for something major. So much of this book seems right on the mark. Even if you don't believe it will happen anytime soon, this book gives you a lot to consider. How much control of your life are you willing to allow the government?
Ralph Rotten
Oct 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really liked the granuar nature of the storyline. Most EOW writers will gloss over the tough details that really make you feel and envision the apocalyptic world. An author should always write what they know, and clearlythis author is a cowgirl. From one post-apocalyptic author to another; keep up the good work.
Peggy starcher
Aug 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Had a great story line and kept you interested in the characters and guessing how things would happen.

I really liked the characters. anyone who likes action and adventure in a post apocalyptic thriller would like this story.
Tara Zormier
I could not get into this book. Sometimes it's totally my fault, and I think this was one of those times, but other times it's the story! I can't say for sure what was the reason the book didn't hit it off for me, sorry.
antonio celaya
Apr 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Frightening in ,concept what if some govt decides it is disables bmp

I lie Dow tee and unusual plots this had. both. it is well written .d t author is familiar with t he area. will look for a sequel a nd tor

Rebecca
Jun 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing

Great book

I hated to have this book end. I hope that it has another one that follows. it is definitely a must read book. the characters kept me engrossed and so hope that this is not the end.
Scott Voyles
Dec 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Interesting

This book really makes you think about what we take for granted in our everyday live and what would happen if a super flu hit and what means unscrupulous people are liable to do.
Angie Thompson-conner
Apr 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
More. Holds your attention.

I chose to rate this book with 5 stars because it has a good storyline and you don't want to put it down until you are finished,and it leaves you wanting more. I would recommend this book to anyone that likes light survival fiction.
Carl Ellis
Apr 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: rd15
A good read

Outdoor survival, getting away from our evil government and its desires to control the entire planet without having to answer a questions from the people - I can see this being in our future.
Irishlazz
Jun 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Not what I was expecting

It was a good sort of surprise, but I can say no more on that - no spoilers. It would have received 4 stars if the teenagers had been written more believably.
Frank Sullivan
May 02, 2014 rated it liked it
I found this book to have a good plot but the chapters tend to read very long. The middle of the book dragged but the ending made up for for it.
Kenneth Bensley
Nov 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great book

This was an outstanding book which I could hardly put down. Plot is intriguing and different from other books I have read. Can't wait to read the sequel.
Maya Morikawa
Oct 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Living on the land.

Pleased to read about someone who is not prepared for the disaster that hits but plunges on regardless for survival.
Brad T.
Enjoyable read. Found myself skimming a lot as things got a bit too descriptive at times. But i enjoyed it overall.
David A. Carey
I have not enjoyed a book as much as this one in quite some time. I hope there are more to follow.
Carol Hinson
Nov 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Maybe true in the near future.

I enjoyed the whole story. I am living like they doing in the book now.
I enjoyed how the children reacted to their adventure.ok
Anne
May 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: dystopian
Seems like the Kindle version did not downlaod completely. The ending seemed to be missing. I did not want to pay another $0.99 to find out.
Lisa
Nov 16, 2014 rated it it was ok
Was okay - seriously sexist attitudes run through out the book. I finished it, but I don't remember it well at all. Disappointing.
Julianne G Cockey
Mar 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Unusual survival story

Excellent! The Arizona area descriptions were just enough to entice and educate. The story was gripping. Another non-stop
up all night read!

• After the Dust Settled (Countdown to Armageddon, #2)
  • Homeostasis Lost
  • Sacrifice (Blue Plague, #3)
  • The After/Life
  • Plaguesville, USA
  • The Battle For New York (Invasion USA, #2)
  • EMP: Equipping Modern Patriots: A Story of Survival
  • Ice Diaries
  • Under a Broken Sun
  • Traveler (Joshua, #2)
  • Return of the Phoenix
  • Scars
  • Holding Their Own III: Pedestals of Ash (Holding Their Own, #3)
  • The Fallen (Dark Genesis, #1)
  • Doomsday Diaries
  • The Seventh Seal
  • Story Time (Story Time, #1)
  • The Boat
Cheryl Taylor was raised in northeastern Michigan and pursued a degree in agriculture communications from Michigan State University. In 1986, Taylor moved to Arizona where she worked in publishing and advertising in the livestock industry, then eventually moving into teaching in 1998 after receiving a masters in education from Northern Arizona University.

"Gone to Ground" is Taylor's fi