Start by marking “Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suits” as Want to Read:
Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suits

Read Book

Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suits

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  10,729 ratings  ·  1,190 reviews
Nightmarish villains with superhuman enhancements.

An all-seeing social network that tracks your every move.

Mysterious, smooth-talking power players who lurk behind the scenes.

A young woman from the trailer park.

And her very smelly cat.

Together, they will decide the future of mankind.

Get ready for a world in which anyone can have the powers of a god or the fame of a pop sta
Published October 6th 2015 by Thomas Dunne Books

To ask other readers questions about Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suits, please sign up.
RaygunGothic Depends on if the 15-year-old is ready for gratuitous violence, the most explicit possible speech, and sexual content.
Holly Winter Similar humour but different voice (third person)and much different in terms character. I liked them both personally but this one took longer to grip…moreSimilar humour but different voice (third person)and much different in terms character. I liked them both personally but this one took longer to grip me. (less)

carol.
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: dudes that want a modern updated of Ready Player One
A Chapter by Chapter Reading Experience

One: Hmm. Not into serial killer chasing inept 20 year-old woman, even/esp. set up as 'humor.'

Two: Okay, made me laugh with the spatula joke.

Three: I don't believe a woman who would own a Persian cat would call him 'Stench Machine.'

Five, six, and eight: The description of the 'Blink' nails social media as a 'reality experience.' Very lightly veiled social commentary but sadly on point.

So far: The protagonist is incompetent.

Ten: And dumb.

Twelve: Seriously.

Th
Bradley
Sep 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, humor, 2016-shelf
The near-future equivalent of UF Science Fiction.

What? Well, yeah! It has tons and tons of snark, absolutely fantastic pacing, action, action, action, humor, blood and guts, and tons and tons of shiny tech toys that are not only not in the hands of Government Officials or Spies, but there are NO Government Officials OR Spies in the novel!

This is all trailer trash and thug territory, my friend.

Of course, we're taking the trailer trash out of trailer trash territory and giving her a bazillion do
Kevin Kelsey
May 21, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018
This one didn’t really do it for me. The writing wasn’t great, the characters were inconsistent, the story meandored all over the place, and there were some pretty glaring plot holes that I couldn’t ignore. It was fun, and occasionally hilarious with literal laugh-out-loud moments. I thought the Blink social network was startlingly plausible, and probably about two seconds into our future. I also loved the way that everyone in Tabula Ra$a saw themselves as heroes, but they were really just assho ...more
Mike
Nov 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suits delivers on both of its promises (namely futuristic violence, of which there was a boat load, and fancy suits, which were quite fancy), but it does so much more than that. It subtly explores the themes of violence against women within the frame work of masculinity, the dehumanizing affects of massive wealth on those who possess it, and the impact of just-around-the-corner-technology. Stylistically it does a wonderful job flirting with the super hero genre just ...more
Evans Light
Oct 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: have-it, hardcover
This review pains me a fair amount. The words I have to write about this book are not the ones I wish they were.

Let me begin by stating that I'm a huge fan of David Wong and I wanted to love this book.
The new setting and characters he's created for FUTURISTIC VIOLENCE & FANCY SUITS (FV&FS) seem like they could be a lot of fun, so I was ready to follow him on his first novel-length fictional outing sans John and Dave.

That being said, there are signs throughout the book that point to this
GrilledCheeseSamurai
Sep 27, 2015 rated it really liked it

Full disclosure. I am eating two perfectly grilled cheese sandwiches with smoked paprika turkey on them as I write this review.

Yes. There is dipping sauce.

That said...THIS BOOK WAS THE SHIT! I've never read anything by David Wong before. Apparently, he's the dude that wrote the book that the mediocre movie was based off, John Dies At The End. I'm being a little harsh here, I know I have seen John Dies At The End, but I can't really remember it. It could actually be a better movie than what I thi
Oct 18, 2015 rated it did not like it
Took me most of the book to admit how aggressively I disliked it. I kept trying to enjoy it because I loved the author's other 2 books. But this is the most hatefully misogynistic book featuring a female protagonist that I have ever mostly read, and lacks the light-hearted gonzo humor of his previous work. Ick.
Nov 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
Well, if it was 100 pages shorter it would have been three stars. To be honest, I still haven't fully decided between one and two stars. By the end I was annoyed enough to go with one but I did enjoy quite a bit of it.

This is set in a future world where a man has started a city called Tabula Ra$a. It has no government, although it has a police force sometimes. A corrupt one. All of the characters in this are rather flat, to the point that I was picturing this cheesy cartoon where the girl runs
Tom Mathews
I’ve never read anything by David Wong before this but John Dies at the End has often been enthusiastically recommended to me by people whose tastes in books are, shall we say, eclectic.

If John Dies at the End is a horror/adventure novel, as the author describes it, then Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suits is likely to be called a horror/adventure/sci-fi/thriller. It’s a rowdy, rollicking geekfest that starts out as fast as a roller coaster and picks up speed with each chapter.

As the story ope
Maria (Big City Bookworm)
Well, that was definitely one hell of a fast paced, action packed, and downright crazy novel. Seriously, there was not one moment of calm throughout the entirety of the novel. I was definitely never bored and I was certainly very entertained.

Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suits tells the story of Zoey, a young 22 year old girl who gets thrown into a whirlwind of a mess when her extremely wealthy and eccentric father passes away and leaves her, his only daughter, everything he once owned.

Although
Stylo Fantome
Mar 28, 2015 marked it as to-read
Though I am sure it will be awesome sauce, I NEED MORE JOHN AND DAVID IN MY LIFE.

Please and thank you :D
Rob
Executive Summary: Do you enjoy sophomoric humor and the victimization of women by cartoon villains? If not, you may want to give this book a pass.

Audiobook: Christy Romano was the bright spot here. I really enjoyed her narration. She did a good job with voices and adding something to what was often at times an overly melodramatic and downright infuriating. I would definitely listen to another book read by her again.

Full Review
This book started out pretty strong for me. I should have been tipp
Emily
Sep 12, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was seriously a TRIP. It was a wild ride that was seriously fun (and funny!).

What made this book fascinating to me was it's scathing critique of what I'll generalize as "violent male internet culture." I'm NOT talking about all dudes on the internet, by any means, but rather the subset of guys on the internet who think it's fine to make rape threats, murder threats, encourage suicide, dox people, etc., and then the second they get called on it come back with, "Can't you take a joke, s
Lea
Feb 28, 2016 rated it liked it

I'm really torn on this one. I'm a huuuuuuuge David Wong fan -- I was crazy happy when I saw he had written a new book, and had this one bought before it was even released. But . . .

Many of the characters here are not nice. They're horrible. And they treat our protagonist, Zoey, horribly. But it's worse than that. They're brutal and cruel and mysogynistic. It's just ugly -- and she's put into danger with these horrible people over and over and over again. And part of me gets it -- this is the wo
Ashley
This was the best fart/poop/butt joke book collection I've ever read that also happens to have a plot.

Despite it not being exactly everything I hoped it would be, this book had me about three pages in when the heroine (ordering fast food while sitting in her self-driving car) contemplates how did people ever "eat their car chili" if they had to keep their hands on the steering wheel. This girl clearly has her priorities straight. If the future allows me to eat car chili while cruising down the s
Kaitlin
This book is so bizarre and fun to read. I was gifted this by the lovely Elena at christmas time and I picked up the audiobook too so I could listen to this whilst I was working. I liked the narrator, but honestly it was the story which really hooked me in and I read through nearly all of this mostly over two long days where I was working and listening to the audiobook.

This tells the story of Zoey Ashe who is basically an average 'poor girl' stereotype until one day her estranged multi-billionai
Lance Charnes
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: readers who like comic-book bad behavior without the pictures
In the past, I've copped to an affection for books that I describe as "a box full of crazy" (for example, Beat the Reaper , Tim Dorsey's Serge Storms series, and Bunker 13 ). These kinds of books have a kind of maniac energy that pull me through even the most demented situations. That's what I thought I was getting here. Alas.

Futuristic Violence, in summary, sounds like it can be the real deal. Zoey Ashe, a 20-ish potential refugee from Mike Judge's Idiocracy , discovers she's the only child
Paul E. Morph
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first David Wong novel (putting me in a very small group of readers who didn't read John Dies at the End first, I would imagine... although I did see the movie version) and I have to say I enjoyed it a great deal. It's funny, action-packed, ridiculous (in a good way) and just a heck of a lot of fun. If I had one issue it would be that it took me a while to warm to the protagonist. I was pleased to see that Wong left it wide open for a sequel, which I'd definitely read.
Megan
Jan 26, 2015 marked it as to-read
Oh my god a new book!! Of cause I'm gonna read it, it's a David Wong book. And even though it's not John/David related, I'm highly anticipating it!!

I'm not sure I can wait till fall though. Really really excited for this!
Danger
Jul 29, 2017 added it
I wanted to like this. But I didn't. So I stopped reading it with about 100 pages left. So it goes.
Adam Light
Jan 13, 2016 rated it liked it
I really wanted to love this book, and I liked it somewhat, but it ended up being just okay. There were tons of mistakes that editors should have caught, but did not. It has been a while since I read JDAtE and TBiFoS, but I can't remember either of them being so poorly edited. I suppose such sloppiness could have been overlooked if the trademark Wong humor had been rampant throughout the story, but I found myself eagerly longing for belly-laughs that simply never happened. The novel was not a co ...more
Amanda
Oct 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
This book started out with so much action and hooked me from the first sentence. But I felt that it went in an interesting direction and started losing me at the half way point.
Jason
Oct 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, read-2015
4.5 Stars

Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suits by David Wong is a blast of a read. I am a huge fan of Wong as John Dies at the End is a gem. This is a much more accessible read than the book just mentioned, it is straight forward and much more mainstream. That being said it is still Wong through and through. It is filled with clever dialog, witty humor, fun action, and a bit of cyberpunk imagination. This is not a serious read and it works by simply being fun from start to finish.

This is a nearly
Ric
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
David Wong doesn’t have exactly the same style, but I haven’t had as much fun working through an author’s bibliography since I did it with Douglas Adams, and that is the highest praise I can give. Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suits wasn’t as good as the last two JDatE books, but don’t think that’s a knock on it. It was entertaining as hell, and it starts with the main character, Zoey. The way that she reacts to inheriting a sizable fortune and criminal empire (and the bounty on her head that co ...more
Tesla
Oct 12, 2015 rated it it was ok
Brock
Oct 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
A more restrained novel then John Dies at the End. David Wong shies away from the usual horror and humor though not completely. The book really unleashes the crazy towards the end, and his wacky turns of phrase do appear in brilliant places. This story will not go where you expect it to and Zooey is an amazingly resilient female character. It would have been easy to have her play a victim to some atrocious events in her life but her constant vigilance to not put up with other peoples crap really ...more
F.R.
Jan 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If ever a book could be described as having a decibel busting aesthetic, it’s this one. The pages are crammed with grinding metal, smashed concrete, shattered glass and terrified screams, with every brash character and over the top chapter described through the prism of vulgar neon. The whole is incredibly reminiscent of the 1980s output of Canon Films, and if you’re in the mood for future schlock, that’s no bad thing.

It’s the tale of a trailer-trash coffee house waitress who, thanks to her est
Luisa
Nov 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Luiz Letti
The first thing about this book that comes to mind is: wow, what an apt title.
The second is: my dad would LOVE this book :D

It is a fun, fast paced read with lots of, very literally, futuristic violence and fancy suits! The main characters are quite interesting, not exactly loveable but that's what makes it fun. The premise is simple: a 20-something girl who lives in a trailer park in Colorado suddenly inherits her insanely rich (and honestly a bit insane) father's crime empire. Now, someone who'
Ms Stef
May 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So far I have not read anything from David Wong that I have not LOVED. I adored the way he makes fun of the classic tropes of action movies and ends each and every chapter of this book on a cliffhanger. Plus I actually enjoyed the deus ex machina he used through out the book much like the crazy action adventure films such as fast and furious. This is book isn't life changing or it might be to some, its just a crazy fun time. Enjoy and don't take it too seriously.
Bee
A very enjoyable, near future comic adventure. David Wong knows how to write a story. He knows how to make you laugh. He knows people and their weaknesses. I really enjoyed this. It wasn't as bend-over-double-laughing funny as The Book is Full of Spiders was, but it really has its moments. Pulp fiction done right.
  • Undocumented: A Dominican Boy's Odyssey from a Homeless Shelter to the Ivy League
  • Sacred Heart
  • Version Control
  • Chasing the Phoenix (Darger and Surplus #2)
  • Bones & All
  • Rx: A Tale of Electronegativity
  • Zero World
  • The Automatic Detective
  • Bingo's Run
  • Arkwright
  • The Fictional Man
  • All Involved
  • Salvage Merc One (Salvage Merc One #1)
  • Dark Orbit
  • Crosstalk
  • Willful Child
  • Sleepless
  • Loosed upon the World: The Saga Anthology of Climate Fiction
David Wong is the pseudonym of Jason Pargin. He is the Executive Editor of Cracked.com, author of John Dies at the End and the New York Times bestseller This Book is Full of Spiders. His third novel, Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suits debuted on October 6 2015.

John Dies at the End was adapted into a feature film and debuted at the Sundance film festival in
“People like me know that there is no magic. There is only the grind. Work looks like magic to those unwilling to do it.” 31 likes
“You take risks; you get hurt. And you put your head down and plow forward anyway and if you die, you die. That’s the game. But don’t tell me you’re not a hero. You walk away, you’re choosing to walk away. Whatever bad things happen as a result, you’re choosing to let them happen. You can lie to yourself, say that you never had a choice, that you weren’t cut out for this. But deep down you’ll know. You’ll know that humans aren’t cut out for anything. We cut ourselves out. Slowly, like a rusty knife. Because otherwise, here’s what’s going to happen: you’re going to die and you’re going to stand at the gates of judgement and you’re going to ask God what was the meaning of it all, and God will say, ‘I created the universe, you little shit. It was up to you to give it meaning.” 28 likes