Start by marking “Rose Point (Her Instruments, #2)” as Want to Read:
Rose Point (Her Instruments, #2)

Rose Point

(Her Instruments #2)

Reese is only just getting used to running the Earthrise in the black—and with an Eldritch in her crew—when a trip to a colony world gives rise to a whole new problem: Hirianthial is showing powers that even the Eldritch rarely have, and that only in legend. He badly needs training, support and advice, and the only place he can find them is... at home.

To see the world of
Published October 7th 2013 by Studio MCAH

To ask other readers questions about Rose Point, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rose Point

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Bloody Shrimping Hell this Series is So Bloody Shrimping Awesome We Just Cannot Stop Reading Buddy Read (BSHtSiSBSAWJCSRBR™) with my Dearest of Wives and our Favorite Stalker, over at the MacHalo Mansion ●

Okay, so I wasn't even going to write a crappy non review for this slightly glorious book, because as soon as I turned the last page, I was hit by the pernicious Gimme the Next Instalment NOW or Else I Will Start Severing Fluffy Bunnies Heads to Use Them as Living Room Ornaments Virus (GtNIN
Sh3lly (GrumpyBookGrrrl.com)
This story picks up about a year after Earthrise. Reese and the crew are hoping for a little less space pirates this time around and some peace and quiet. Well, we know that's not going to happen. This time, they end up on a "mission" to help their space elf friend, Hirianthial, who reminds me of this guy:

The crew ends up on the sexy space elf's home world because he has some issues he needs to work out with his mind mage mojo stuff. The Eldritch planet is like a regency novel, with a ton and lo
Choko
Apr 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
*** 4 ***

A buddy read with the wonderful MacHalo Freaks! We love Elves in space:-)

This was different. I am not even sure what category I should shelve it under, so I went with Sci-fi Fantasy, since it is a space Opera with genetically engineered creatures, most of them derivative of Humans and Animals, and few from Humans and Fae folks from the fairytales. One of those legendary races are the elusive and mysterious Eldridge. They are so rare and their mythology so vague, that they have become a
Maria Dimitrova
Apr 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
In the second instalment of Her Instruments we move from a science fiction to more of a fantasy setting. After Hirianthial gets himself (view spoiler) he develops some abilities that spook him into returning to his homeworld. Even though Reese pretends to dislike him and tries to chase him from her ship when it really counts she makes everything in her power to help him and remains at his side. In her case actions really speak louder than words and are the reason ...more
 Simply Sam ツ
Great follow-up to book one! Review to come at some point in time :)
The FountainPenDiva, Old school geek chick and lover of teddy bears
Still doing happy dances!

Okay, now I can craft a fairly coherent review.

Intrepid if sometimes unlucky space captain Reese Eddings is now operating her ship, The Earthrise, in the free and clear thanks to the generosity of the mysterious Eldritch queen. But adventure and danger are never far behind. Moreover, her personal Eldritch Hirianthial (I so heart him) is starting to exhibit psi powers that were once thought of as legend, and he's not ready for them.

What's a freebooting trader crew compris
Cathy (cathepsut)
Jun 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2015
Could be a bit spoilery, beware.

Kickass heroine falls in love with one of Tolkien's elves, rescues and follows him home, when he needs some help after horrible things happen to him during a kidnapping (tentative non-con warning in a very non-graphic way).

No, not really. But in stretches it felt a bit like that. Although my elf looks a bit more Benedict Cumberbatch than Orlando Bloom.

Actually, despite this being Sci-Fi, it does have more of a classic fantasy feel to it than anything else, being m
Rosalind M
Dec 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
4.75 stars. There were scenes that could have used more sensory detail. I won't reveal which ones due to spoiler content, but at the very times when I wanted to know more about what was going on, the information I was looking for was only alluded to. Otherwise, I continue to enjoy this series and have already started the next book.
Quartzen
Aug 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Overall, I think this was a much stronger book than Earthrise- there's a stronger throughline for the story when a speculative trade trip to an out of the way planet lands the crew in the middle of a civil war, and then they go from the frying pan into the fire when they journey to the Eldritch home world to get Hirianthial some desperately needed tuition for his esper abilities and get caught up in politics that might just be another civil war on a far worse scale. Big political changes near th ...more
Pamela(AllHoney)
The second book in the Her Instruments series by M.C.A. Hogarth. The story picks up about a year after the first book. Reese goes to a remote colony in hopes of doing some business but gets caught up in their troubles and Hirianthial is kidnapped once again. During this he discovers he has some powers he didn't know about and needs to seek counsel from his people. Reese realizes this and contacts her benefactor.

I liked it for the most part but hated that it ended in a cliffhanger. The good news
Chyina
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful second book to the series and I loved it. With a number of twists and turns I couldn't put it down. The characters become even more lovable and the action keeps you guessing. Smooth transitions and a brilliantly constructed universe that makes you want to dive in head first. Can't wait to read the next book. Highly recommend this to anyone who loves adventure, humour, sci-fi and fantasy!
Antoinette Houston
Aug 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this title. The creativity was wonderful and unique. It did get a little wordy in some instances but it still had a good pace and plot. I’m glad I stumbled across these books.
Kyoko M.
Sep 29, 2015 rated it liked it
I have to admit I'm a little disheartened to say that I didn't enjoy Rose Point as much as Earthrise. There are a lot of contributing factors, though. The writing style employed by Ms. Hogarth continues to be stellar (hardy har har, I'm so funny), but where Rose Point stumbles is in the choice of the story, not in the characters themselves or the writing quality.

The first book is packed with action and forward movement. This one slogs a lot due to her decision to make this story about Hirianthi
Julie Davis
Aug 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
This begins and finishes with big action sequences. In fact, the final action ends much like The Empire Strikes back with our heroes dispersed in all directions to strive in their diverse ways for the common good. In the middle we're introduced to a planet-bound adventure, in fact to the Eldritch planet and their society.

One of the things that made me snicker is the way Hogarth keeps edging space opera into romance novel territory only to jerk us away from it again. Very mild spoiler: (view spo
Deena
Jun 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, fantasy
I don't love cliff-hangar endings, but the rest was good. I can't have the last one, however, until I finish the thing I've been putting off for about 5 weeks. I don't even trust myself enough to buy it and have it waiting for me!
S
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Reese's crew now includes an Eldritch supercargo, because a healer role would have resulted in a conflict of interest between the need to defend the ship and healer vows taken. The beginning of the book takes place among nomads and horsebreeders on Harat Shar, and Hirianthial finally seems less of a drippy liability - at least until he discovers new powers that nearly destroy him (again) and require he learn to control them on his home planet . I was beginning to get a bit tired of watching him ...more
Veronica Biegen
Apr 06, 2018 rated it liked it
M.C.A. Hogarth books are not to be undertaken lightly. She will draw you in, sometimes against your will, with her intensely complicated character building until you have no other recourse but to get all the books and read them until the early hours of the morning. The first book in this series was a mixed bag for me, I enjoyed the characters around the protagonist but did not like or understand her. But I trusted Ms. Hogarth and was rewarded with this book, where the layers begin to peel from R ...more
Barbara
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have read so few 5-star novels in recent years, that I seriously sometimes have felt I have become too brutal in my criticism. I've even begun to just rate anything that is on a level with Harry Potter with 5 stars, even though I consider it purely young adult.

But this series deserves every one of those 5 stars. The personalities are deeply explored and filled with surprises; the worlds they occupy are well built, unusual, and again ... deeply explored and filled with surprises.

It is my ferve
Sallie
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Solid 4 from me. It was a good book with plenty of character development for Reese and Hiranthial. It was a bit jarring the contrast between outer space and the new setting in this book but I enjoyed it. I feel it had less action which made me dock a point but it kinda redeemed itself near the end. I really like how both books so far have had a full story but leave you wanting more despite Rose Point having a more obvious "to be continued" sense of urgency with its ending.

I also read this book i
Kat
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Romantic Adventure... in Space!

I enjoyed the first volume in this series, although I read it long enough ago that my memory of its events is rather hazy. I *adored* this installment. Space elves and cat-people and other anime-esque tropes are here fluffy enough to be fun, but at the same time treated with enough thoughtfulness to give them some weight. Just an absolute delight from start to finish.
Gisele Thomson
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book 2

I really enjoyed reading MCA Hogarth's follow up to book 1 (Earthrise). A grest follow up to an interesting characters in her Pelted Universe traveling in space. Intriguing exploration of major cultural misuderstandings with the creatures from the cold night planet. Thanks again MCA.

Adam Windsor
Sep 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
The character interactions are both the meat and the tasty dressing of this science fiction / fantasy series. There's a fine collection of engaging people of many species here, such that I don't mind that they are mostly animal-folk and space elves. This second in the series does lack a real ending though, which makes me mark it down a little.
Jeanne Johnston
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Argh! A cliffhanger! 😕

First book was really good but now I'm fully invested in this world. This is not just a smashup of Firefly and Darkover, it's a world in its own right. Very complex, smart, clever, compelling.

Must find he next two so I can keep reading. There's a rescue to be accomplished!
Samantha
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
4.5*
I could not wait to move onto the next book. This book was nothing fance but it was just pure goodness. Learning of "new" worlds and beings. The characters have a great camaraderie. Just like you would in a small fun office. No complicated wording. Very easy reading. It's almost like you are eavesdropping on their lives. Had to go to the next book.
Amy Aelleah
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love the characters in this series so much. They are all so brilliant and different. I loved getting to deal with Reese agoraphobia (or is it claustrophobia? lol Inside joke.) and getting to see how the crew has changed since we last saw them. I will admit, the series plot seems to be going in a direction I never really expected, so that's kind of cool, too.
Hendrix Eva
Apr 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Top Quotes:

"Sometimes, doing it alone is the wrong way. It's almost always the wrong way, I'm beginning to think."

"We are bonded in blood. And duty. Do not make this mistake again."

"What's wrong with vests?"

"Truth is not offensive."
Heather Henkel
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book

This is a really great story with really good characters and world development. I like the intricacies and the difficulties the crew faced. I can't wait to read the next book.
Katie Bee
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-books-read
Quite a switch in setting from the first book, but I liked it. Unlike in Earthrise, the main romance actually started working for me. I love the Queen and several other Eldritch characters. Really interested to see where the series goes from here!
Shon S-R
The beginning had me worried but it got much better and the attempted rape was actually incorporated into that character’s development.
I will definitely be reading the next entry in this series.
David Murray
Jan 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fun book. I'd call this a romantic scfi. But a good read.

• The Mark of Noba (The Sterling Wayfairer, #1)
  • Natural Beauty
  • Adaptation Book 1 (Adaptation #1)
  • Lying with Scorpions (Memory of Scorpions #2)
  • A Rational Arrangement (Arranging Paradise, #1)
  • A Song for Bijou
  • Armored (The Té-trad Tale, #1)
  • Chained (Chained #1)
  • Ava's Thor(n)
  • Neverlove (Shadow Jumpers, #1)
  • Fading Amber (The Cambion Chronicles, #3)
  • On the Edge of Love (Mama's Brood, #1)
  • Crusader's Torch (Atta Olivia Clemens, #2)
  • Agnes Moor's Wild Knight
  • Love My Way
  • Wallflower (Rear Entrance Video, #2)
  • What the Earl Desires (Rakes and Rogues, #1)
  • Roommate Wanted (Sharing Space, #1)
Daughter of two Cuban political exiles, M.C.A. Hogarth was born a foreigner in the American melting pot and has had a fascination for the gaps in cultures and the bridges that span them ever since. She has been many things—-web database architect, product manager, technical writer and massage therapist—-but is currently a full-time parent, artist, writer and anthropologist to aliens, both human an ...more

Her Instruments (4 books)
  • Earthrise (Her Instruments, #1)
  • Laisrathera (Her Instruments, #3)
  • A Rose Point Holiday (Her Instruments, #4)
“Books are like people. They can be beautiful on the outside and it’s wonderful when they are, but what counts is the inside. And the inside of a book can be communicated in a dozen different ways, and cheaply enough that everyone can have access. And everyone should.” 10 likes
“that’s the only place you find fairy tales, Hirianthial. In books. In the real world, there’s always someone who has to clean the kitchen and take out the trash. There’s always politics. There’s always someone who wants to get ahead and doesn’t care who they squash on their way up.” 1 likes