Start by marking “The Five Stages of Andrew Brawley” as Want to Read:
The Five Stages of Andrew Brawley

The Five Stages of Andrew Brawley

Andrew Brawley was supposed to die that night. His parents did, and so did his sister, but he survived.

Now he lives in the hospital. He serves food in the cafeteria, he hangs out with the nurses, and he sleeps in a forgotten supply closet. Drew blends in to near invisibility, hiding from his past, his guilt, and those who are trying to find him.

Then one night Rusty is whee
Published January 20th 2015 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about The Five Stages of Andrew Brawley, please sign up.
Shaun Hutchinson I think that depends on the 7th grader. There is some profanity, and it deals with heavy topics like death and bullying. But I would have loved it whe…moreI think that depends on the 7th grader. There is some profanity, and it deals with heavy topics like death and bullying. But I would have loved it when I was in 7th grade, and I think there are definitely some 7th graders out there who enjoy it.(less)
Shaun Hutchinson The five stages are a reference to the five stages of grief, which were introduced by Elisabeth Kübler-Ross. They're: Denial, anger, bargaining, depre…moreThe five stages are a reference to the five stages of grief, which were introduced by Elisabeth Kübler-Ross. They're: Denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance.

I didn't want to draw too much attention to them because I think most people who grieve go through these stages out of order or through multiple stages simultaneously. In the book, Andrew seems to go through them almost in reverse.

But really it's just a nod to the fact that this is a book about grief and about Drew's journey through that grief. (less)

Start your review of The Five Stages of Andrew Brawley
Shaun Hutchinson
Oct 29, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
The Five Stages of Andrew Brawley is a very personal book for me. It's unlike both The Deathday Letter and FML, though it shares with them my love of creating makeshift families for my narrator from secondary characters.

I'm not going to lie or try to sugarcoat it: The Five Stages of Andrew Brawley is the darkest book I've ever written, probably the darkest I'll ever write. But it's not about darkness. It's about finding your way out of the dark.

I'm immensely proud of the comic book inside the b
Kai
Aug 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: queer
“If death can cry, maybe we all have a chance for redemption.”

3,5/5

If you plan on reading this, you should buy a box of tissues first.
I'm not really sure what to think about it and how to put my feelings into words. I liked the characters, every single one of them was great.
Some parts of this book broke my heart, while other (very emotional) parts did not make me feel anything at all. Often the rawness of the words shocked me completely. Other times they felt melodramatic.
The ending did not surp
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘

After giving it some a lot of thought, I decided to go with a 3.5 stars, but it's more an average than anything else.

Oh, dear, this is a tough one to review, and I'm not sure I'm up for it (I'm really not). Just thinking about a rating make me want to hug myself and call it a day.

What you need to know is this : Although I didn't love everything in Drew's story, Shaun David Hutchinson is still quickly becoming one of my favorite authors. There's just something in his writing that gives him the ab
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
*4.5/5

I had a really hard time deciding between a 4 & a 4.5 but I feel fairly good about going with the slightly higher rating. This was incredibly emotional as a journey but didn't personally impact me emotionally until the very, very end so it was hard to gauge my feelings overall. How much I connect to a book emotionally is a huge part of how I rate books so I wanted to make it clear that that is where the rating indecision came from!

Beautifully written and got back to the heart of why I love
✨    jay   ✨
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
me, reading a shaun david hutchinson book and not getting massively fucked up?

Ok, I don't love any of his books as much as We Are the Ants, and tbh this is probably my least favourite of his BUT I dont say that in a negative way because his "not best" is still fucking great? But theres been so much writing improvement from this book to his newer ones holy shit. But honestly I still really liked this? And omg the epilogue fjghfjgdk bless up

Anyway full review to come
Giselle
Ahh Shaun David Hutchinson sure knows how to hit you in the guts and stir it all around.. Ahh my heart.. I really love his writing *sighs* There is something about his writing that draws you in and keeps you from breaking your heart all over again. I am a fan girl for his writing. This is only the second book I've read from him and he just knows how to hit you right here *points to heart* Not only is there a lovely uplifting story here but there's also a graphic novel in between. I thought it wa ...more
Rae
May 28, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my second book from Shaun David Hutchinson and it's still ah-may-zing, oh my freaking gods. RTC. ...more
Kat
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
“Chaos is an excuse for people who don't have the patience to see the patterns.”

It's the type of book that is so well written it'll make you all types of emotions and you'll probably cry a lot so get your tissues ready. I absolutely enjoyed the writing and I liked pretty much all characters that were involved. Besides Lexi's mom. She sucked.

I feel like the ending wasn't a huge surprise and it felt slightly rushed but that's just a small minus. They also could've explained why Drew kept calling
Korrina  (OwlCrate)
For some reason, I don't feel as though I can rate or review this book. My mind is all jumbled up. ...more
Maria
Dec 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Big City Bookworm

4.5 Stars Rated up

“Chaos is an excuse for people who don’t have the patience to see the patterns."

The Five Stages of Andrew Brawley was just as amazing as I hoped it would be. As 2015 came to an end, I picked up an ARC of We Are The Ants by Shaun David Hutchinson. I had never heard of him before, but man do I ever wish that I had. We Are The Ants was fantastic and the moment I finished reading it, I knew I had to make a stop at the bookstore to pick up another novel by Shaun David Hutchinson a
Cassandra
May 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reads-of-2016
Actual rating: 4.5

I love this guy. Shaun David Hutchinson's novels are so real, heartfelt, and raw that I can't read them without a therapist on speed dial.

"They want to believe, but there are too many villains in the world and not enough heroes for anyone to truly buy into the scam that is hope."

While I had some slight problems with the way it was ended, I feel the same way about Drew and Rusty as I do able Henry and Diego.

That their stories, even if they had never intertwined, were beauti
Max
Jul 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book was provided to me by Edelweiss for an honest review.

What the hell?! There have only been two books in existence that made me cry like this. MELT by Selene Castrovilla and this. And this book was just...beautiful. It wasn't romantic, but it connected on the same emotional level as well written romance often does. This has been a book I've been looking forward to for a long time and now that I've actually read it...my God I was not expecting something this good.

I first thought The Five
Bèbè ✦ RANT  ✦
"There's a hole in me. A gaping wound. Every part of me misses every part of them. And it never stops hurting. I can't bear the thought of missing you, too."

The Five Stages of Andrew Brawley is a lot more emotional read that I expected it to be. With so much pain, loss, and grief, it is no wonder this is one of the book that I was mostly excited about in the new year.

"Life is about more than hate. It takes more than anger to make a hero."

He lost his family and could not s
☆ Todd
Jun 10, 2015 rated it really liked it

This one was sort of a " Todd Special ," which basically means that, like some other difficult-subject books that I've read, a ton of my friends would immediately read the blurb and respond with, "Oh, hell no. Zero way you'll catch me reading that."

[ Total Aside: My very favorite Todd Special story, as I slip into Book Pimp mode yet again, is "Fearless" by Chris O'Guinn, which also shares some of the same YA critical illness themes as this story. If you haven't read "Fearless" yet, do yourself
Stuti Rai
I won't attempt to describe what this book is about lest I give away any spoilers. It's not a mystery, it's not a tragedy; it's dark but nowhere near grim. It's the kind of story you have to experience to love.

I love Hutchinson's writing style, which was very rich and lovely, while maintaining its simplicity and realism. There were shades of magical realism that shone through occasionally but they only served to characterize our protagonist's mental state. What I loved most remains that while th
Gisbelle
description
My thanks to Simon Pulse & Edelweiss

Point of View: Single (Andrew Brawley) (view spoiler)
Writing: First Person | Present Tense
Setting: N/A
Genre: Young Adult | Realistic Fiction/GLBT

After an accident that has killed his parents and his sister, Andrew refuses to leave the hospital. While staying hidden there, he becomes friends with the staff and the patients which leads to heartwarming turns and heartbreaking twists.

In general, I thought it was one great
Tess
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing

Shaun David Hutchinson is fast becoming one of my favourite YA authors. He writes broken boys like no one else and Drew is a very broken boy. He's suffering from survivor's guilt. He's living in the hospital where his parents and sisters died. "... as long as I was here and I remembered them, then they wouldn't be dead. Out there, time would pass and I'd forget, but here in the hospital, they'd always be alive."

He hasn't left the hospital since they died. He's sleeping in an unfinished
Elle (ellexamines)
3 stars. I have such incredibly mixed feelings on this book. It's written well and full of emotion, and yet... something about The Five Stages of Andrew Brawley makes it fall a bit flat.

There's not much to say about plotting, because as anyone who's read Hutchinson's We Are The Ants knows, logic isn't the point. This story is meant to bring up emotional reactions, not entertain you with plot. Honestly, contemporary fiction works best when it's low on plot, high on emotion.

The Five Stages of An
anna darling ʚïɞ
three stars ∗ oh boy. this is one tough book to rate. on one hand, i adored the writing and the plot and the characters and all of the little things in between, but on the other, i wasn’t that big of a fan of the romance, and i felt like the ending was a bit rushed?

despite those negatives, i did really enjoy reading this! it was a good read that definitely made me tear up here and there. shaun david hutchinson really has a way of connecting his books to real emotions and thoughts and that’s som
Taylor Knight
Apr 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
I'd never heard of this book prior to seeing it on Pulse It and the cover was kinda cool so I picked it up right away. I was pleasantly surprised with this book but at the same time, I was a little disappointed.

The overall premise for The Five Stages of Andrew Brawley is pretty sad. There was a few lines that I smiled at but for the most part, this book just made me sad. I felt so bad for the characters and even sadder knowing that some things that happened in the book, happen in real life.

This
Elizabeth
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well this book broke me. I thought We Are the Ants is sad but this was on a whole other level. I'm pretty sure I cried about 4 times so that was fun. I highly recommend this but seriously it is saddddd ...more
Rhea Dsouza
The Five Stages of Andrew Brawley was my first read of 2015 and I couldn’t have chosen any better.

The book is about Andrew who refuses to leave the hospital after his parents and sister die in an accident. He believes he escaped Death once but now she’s on the prowl for him, waiting to take him away. While he stays hidden there, he makes friends with the hospital staff and the patients and all of this came together to make a book that is just absolute brilliance.

I feel like this book was custom
Jon
Jul 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbt, graphic-novel
Seen at Bookish Antics!
The Five Stages Of Andrew Brawley is easily one of the most important novels I’ve read this year. This is a novel about dealing with pain and grief, falling in love and accepting yourself; making this novel universally relatable and poignant. Hutchinson has written an unbelievably important novel that will hit readers hard emotionally and ultimately fill them with hope. We need more books like Andrew Brawley out there — books that are so raw and powerful that they fill rea
Jason
So, ill be up front; this book was an absolute failure.

Ben is convinced he killed his family, and for all intensive purposes, no matter how you frame it, he did. After the accident no one seems to notice that a 17 year old has vanished from the ER and is living in the hospital. The curious thing is that the ER seems to never have enough patients, so I find it bewildering that they would have lost a patient when three of the other people in the accident had died. Plus, do you really, honestly ch
Naomi
Mar 13, 2015 rated it did not like it
Ha ha, okay, here are some quotes, bold mine for emphasis:

"I think that people who help others for a living--doctors and nurses and firefighters and police--carry only so much goodwill inside them. Once it's depleted they have to wait for the well to replenish itself, so they use it sparingly and only on those who need it most." (p 10)

Ha ha police okay.

"'Right, the Mexican guy. With the arm lac.'

Jo laughs like she has a mouthful of bees. 'I think you about scared him back across the border w
emma

(let's just say i was not expecting this book to be like this. at all. it punched me in the face and i asked it to repeat that a few times- and then it did. wow.)

Andrew Brawley lives in a hospital. He sketches out his nightmares, dipping his fingers into the tortures of Patient F and releasing them onto paper. Aimee works with food and doesn't eat. Emma owns a disco ball. Jo would rather have the donut. Steven probably has somewhere better to be on his night off. Arnold won't stop lending him bo
Tamika♥RBF MOOD♥
Very different than what I expected. If I could describe this story with two words it'll be Grief and Guilt heavy on both of those. We meet Andrew, Andy or sometimes Drew at the beginning of the story. It's told in his p-o-v, about living in the Hospital. He killed his family, or that's what he wants up to believe. He is hiding from Death, and has been for quite some time. He works in the cafeteria with Arnold, who pays him under the table. He sometimes volunteers in the E.R, with Emma, Jo and S ...more
Katelynn
Feb 12, 2015 rated it it was ok
In the end I found this pretty disappointing, but not enough to be bothered to fully explain why. It was incredibly draggy, and the characters, particularly Rusty, were irritating. Melodramatic, on the nose, and cliched. Some beautiful writing, though, especially in the beginning. Starts off strong but doesn't stay that way. My main issue is that despite the fact that this is a book about people who have either lost everything or are about to, the writing didn't convince me to care about any of ...more
Trisha
Jan 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
"Time is a stream in which I swim."

This is a very tough book to read. It's confusing and gut-wrenching and tugs at your heartstrings every chapter.

And I think all the secrecy and plot points held back frustrated me until almost the end. But when all is finally revealed, the reveal was worth the wait. The last few pages are so beautiful and heartbreaking. I just want to hug the book and throw it.

Stick with it. And be sure to bring tissues.
majo
*3,5 stars*

I really really really like the message of this book. And I mean I really liked it.

This book is about Andrew or Andy or Drew...you can call him however you want to. He's a boy that lost his family and now he lives in the hospital where they died. He lives there, because he's afraid of living "out there". Out of the hospital. He stays there and is friend of some nurses, paramedics, even with the guy of the cafeteria . Even with some patients. Trevor and Lexy. Both of them have cancer a

• Anything Could Happen
  • Whatever.: or how junior year became totally f$@ked
  • Been Here All Along
  • A Boy Worth Knowing
  • We Contain Multitudes
  • More Happy Than Not
  • How to Be Remy Cameron
  • The Music of What Happens
  • True Letters from a Fictional Life
  • Wonders of the Invisible World
  • Darius the Great Deserves Better (Darius the Great, #2)
  • Deposing Nathan
  • Openly Straight (Openly Straight, #1)
  • Date Me, Bryson Keller
  • The Infinite Noise (The Bright Sessions, #1)
  • Alex in Wonderland
  • You Asked for Perfect
  • Honestly Ben (Openly Straight, #2)
LGBT > Gay
See top shelves…
Shaun is a major geek and all about nerdy shenanigans. He is the author of many queer books for young adults. Find out more information at shaundavidhutchinson.com. He currently lives in Seattle and watches way too much Doctor Who.