Start by marking “Bluescreen (Mirador, #1)” as Want to Read:
Bluescreen (Mirador, #1)

Bluescreen (Mirador #1)

3.7  ·  Rating details ·  1,605 Ratings  ·  347 Reviews
Los Angeles in 2050 is a city of open doors, as long as you have the right connections. One of those connections is a djinni—a smart device implanted right in a person’s head. In a world where virtually everyone is online twenty-four hours a day, this connection is like oxygen—and a world like that presents plenty of opportunities for someone who knows how to manipulate it ...more
Published February 16th 2016 by Balzer & Bray

To ask other readers questions about Bluescreen, please sign up.
George Maybe you're not being disingenuous, Chris. But it sure looks like it.

Maybe you're not being disingenuous, Chris. But it sure looks like it.

The harmful element of Bluescreen is in fact a virus that its users by their own actions give their djinnis, willingly or not. It works directly on their neurons via programming, not via ingested chemicals making their way through the bloodstream, like all present-day drugs. Hence, the meaning of "non-chemical" is perfectly clear in context.

As for your last point: While there certainly is a fear of "chemicals" out there, caused by the number of pollutants and other poisons that are manmade chemicals--which is what people mean by the term, as you certainly know despite pretending naïveté--it's hardly sudden.

P.S. I assume you've seen the fake scare materials on dihydrogen monoxide? Some of them are fairly funny.(less)

Miranda Reads
Your parents can't tell you to get off the computer if the computer is in your head
Play Crazy!
Marisa and her best friends are the Cherry Dogs - an all-girl group of virtual reality gamers mostly based in Mirador, a suburb of LA.

The Cherry Dogs aren't the best but they are moving up the ranks fast. They connect to the net via a djinni - a computer with direct access to their brain.

The djinni lets them access everything - from low level hacking to the most realistic VR games. Anja - one of th
Eric Allen
Feb 12, 2016 rated it did not like it
Unfortunately, this is Dan Wells' worst book by far. It lacks the compelling or even likable characters of his other two series, the good plotting, well conceived mysteries, and original plots. I had a really, REALLY hard time even getting past the first chapter because all the characters are vapid walking examples of everything I hate about gaming and internet culture. I mean, really, live streaming your entire life... who gives a crap? The fact that people actually do give enough of a crap to ...more

“It bluescreens you,” said Anja, shooting Omar from his chaise and sitting down in his spot. “An overwhelming sensory rush, an unbelievable high, and then boom. Crash to desktop. Your Djinni goes down and takes your brain with it for, like, ten minutes. It’s the best.”

This is the second time I’ve read this book, and I have to say that I understood it a lot better the second time.

Marisa was a strong char

I didn’t really enjoy this book, and I found it quite disappointing compared to Partials.

This book was about a group of teens in a world in which they had computers in their heads? And they had to plug them in, and played games in a virtual world. And then there was all this stuff about a drug called ‘bluescreen’ which caused people to collapse and fall unconscious, and then
Macarena Yannelli
Jul 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Si te gusto Partials :D
La nueva novela de Dan Wells me parece que supera lo que hizo en Partials y lo expande al mundo de la tecnología, no se confundan con Ready Player One y los libros de realidad virtual, en este mundo existe pero no el principal tema del libro, intriga, crimen y drogas son lo que rodea el mundo de la protagonista Marisa.
Reseña completa en Gracias a los Libros.
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Sep 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Set in a very futuristic Los Angeles that is all too realistic and believable, this novel is nonstop cyber action that will leave you breathless and in need of more.

In a world run by robots and the cyber world filled with holograms, advanced AI intelligence, and digital chips and enhancers, this newest series from author Dan Wells is sure to please gamers and lovers of fantasy alike. With a world that is more than likely to be in our not too distant future this series was fast paced, action driv
Audrey
Wow, good job, Mr. Wells.

In the not-that-distant future, everybody has the equivalent of smart phones in their brains. A new digital drug gives people a high by overloading this system -- no physical side effects; totally safe, right? Marisa doesn't trust it from the start, and her investigation uncovers something really sinister.

The world felt real and complete; it was detailed and believable. Marisa has two brothers and two sisters, parents, school, online friends and offline friends. Every as
Giselle (Book Nerd Canada)
An Electronic Advanced Reader Copy was provided by the publisher via Edelweiss for review.

I would have given this a 3.5 so naturally I rounded it up. The technology and the world were pretty amazing. Amazing and terrifying because this is a world where I would be scared to live in. There is no way I would want to plug in through my skull like in The Matrix. Having a chip embedded in my brain so I can have access to the Internet? No thank you! And that's not even crossing the line, because as you
Rebekah
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Whoa. If nothing else, Bluescreen is an ambitious novel. Wells somehow manages to combine futuristic sci-fi technology, gaming, hackers, with Mexican cartels, recreational drugs and questions about the ethics of automation and displaced workers. Sounds like one heck of a story? It is.

The heroine Marisa is a 2nd generation Mexican American living in an L.A. that has sprawled all the way to Tijuana, past the Mexican border. A semi-pro gamer, and brilliant hacker, Mari’s world is upended when Anja,
Katie
Feb 21, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
This book is painfully bad, and I say that as someone who loves sci-fi and enjoyed Dan's other books. I couldn't even force myself to get past the 50% mark, it was just SO terrible. Here's why:

1) The main character reads like a caricature of a Mexican girl. Imagine if a straight white guy who has only seen Mexican people in movies and TV shows wrote a book with every stereotype and random Spanish word he heard, but didn't bother to get a REAL Mexican reader or two to make sure he wasn't being of
Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten*
Jan 23, 2016 marked it as did-not-finish
Shelves: 2016, written-review
Feeling a bit disappointed. It's not that nothing happened in the first fifty pages, it's just that I didn't care. The whole plug-yourself-into-the-internet thing is cool, but the constant vlogging? And blinking can do SO MUCH. Like, how does it know if I want to close my email or if I just have to blink?? Weird. Not quite for me, unfortunately. Wanted to love it for the diverse cast, but alas.
Tanja (Tanychy) St. Delphi
You didn't have to ruin my ship, Dan Wells. We've just met, dude.
Anyhow this book is all kinds of scary. Even though I really want to know how the future will look like with all the technology, maybe it's better living now.
RTC.
Zemira (Kylo Ren fangirl) Warner
YES! YES! YES! New Dan Wells book! I need it! I don't even care what's it about! Just give it to me!

I'm so glad Dan Wells is back with a new series/trilogy(?). I've missed his books, his incredible world-building and diversity.

Bluescreen is an interesting take on the future which is quite possible since everyone's obsessed with technology, including myself. Life without wifi is boring.

I think the story itself was entertaining from the get-go, the only problem I had with the book were the char
joey (thoughts and afterthoughts)
Sep 15, 2015 marked it as shelved-to-make-witty-remark
"And it’s Anja who first gets her hands on Bluescreen—a virtual drug that plugs right into a person’s djinni and delivers a massive, non-chemical, completely safe high."

This is euphoric? Blue screens of death are the worst.

Updated thoughts Jan 19/16: what if the eBook featured a book cover screen that was GIF and displayed a BSOD. That'd be hilarious LOL.

(I still want to read it though)
 ⇝LEAH⇜
"Cherry Dogs Forever!"

Book Title: Bluescreen
Author: Dan Wells
Narration: Roxanne Hernandez
Source: Audiobook (Library)

description
Uhmmm…I don't really know, it's the battle cry of Marissa's online gaming team. Sadly, this book didn't inspire me to look further than that. Actually the gaming aspect of this really bored me.

description
Plot: 3.5/5 --It was good concept, so-so execution. This book moved at a breakneck speed, with a lot of techy talk, but left me feeling meh.
Characters: 3/5 –While they were a very diverse cas
Leselurch
Oct 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*Worum geht's?*
Los Angeles im Jahre 2050: Der technische Fortschritt scheint nichts mehr unmöglich zu machen. Immer mehr Arbeiten werden von Robotern erledigt, fehlende Körperteile werden durch widerstandsfähigere Prothesen ersetzt und durch Djinnis, Implantate im eigenen Kopf, ist man nicht nur nonstop online, sondern auch dazu in der Lage, die eigenen Sinne zu überlisten. Für Marisa Carneseca und ihre besten Freundinnen, die sich als Team zusammen im Online-Spiel Overworld an die Spitze der We
Diana Torales
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Necesito el segundo yaaaa..
Reseña próximamente.
★MC's Corner★
Mar 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
Well, if I compare it to Partials, which is btw one of my all time fave series. I have to say Bluescreen was a bit disappointing, only if I compare them.
But honestly, I liked it. It’s a good concept and the ‘think forward/ futuristic’ was waaay forward. It’s like the ‘future’ we think/on movies on steroids.

James Dashner’s Eye of Minds meets Alex London’s Proxy. And the dauntless simulation part of Veronica Roth’s Divergent

*MC’s Corner*
Note: Spoilers.

• The Cover is so cool!
At first I really
Jasmine
Jul 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Prose-wise, this is a bit clunky, but I absolutely do not care because it's tons of fun. Tonnes of fun. Internet! Silly hacking! Little sisters! Lots of languages! Gang war shoot outs that are so intense that they become fun again! Weaponized spam filters! They hack a car, convince it it's a VR headset, and use it as a battering ram!
Ashley
Oct 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
SERIOUSLY interesting concept!! As a computer nerd I just loved the entire idea. It was so cool to think about.

I'm giving it 4 stars instead of 5 because I felt like it fizzled near the end. Don't get me wrong, it was totally ACTION PACKED, but I feel like my interest in the whole thing waned a little. Maybe it was a "me" problem rather than a book problem, if you know what I mean.
Eric
Bluescreen is clearly a spiritual successor to the cyberpunk of the 80s, but influenced by modern trends in tech and society.

Marissa and her friends are tech savvy teens. They play online games, skip school, and go to clubs. Their biggest worries are pocket-money, relationships, and placing well in an amateur e-sports tournament.

Until their affluent friend Anya tries Bluescreen, a digital "drug" that causes a rush by overloading your implanted computer's sensory interface. It's *not* supposed to
Heidi
Feb 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three and a half stars: An exciting, fast paced read with plenty of twists, but the world building lacked detail.

Marissa high fives her friends in the virtual world after their latest online gaming victory. Then it is time to return to the read world to face school. Marissa lives in Los Angeles in the year 2050. LA is a sprawling metropolis, bigger than some of the smallest states. Life here is tough, as there are gangs, crime and drugs. For Marissa, life is all about being connected to the vir
Natalya Bustamante
Mar 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Es un libro que realmente disfruté y que me mantuvo enganchada, lo leí en solo tres sentadas y no es un libro ligero de verano, tiene sus detalles a los cuales hay que prestarles atención. Si bien ya vengo leyendo bastante seguido libros con mundos de realidad virtual, Wells pudo darle a este libro otro giro con respecto a ese elemento y, por lo menos en este primer libro, no le dio tanta importancia al Supramundo sino a los seres humanos y a los peligros que puede generarle la tecnología tan ce ...more
Azia
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
Couldn't finish it. Didn't like the characters and I was pretty bored for the first 100 pages. The writing isn't so bad, though, and the world-building and cybernetic atmosphere are pretty impressive. It's just not the book for me :/
Stefanie Hasse hisandherbooks.de
Inhalt:
Das Los Angeles des Jahres 2050 hat sich zu einer gigantischen Megacity entwickelt, in der rund um die Uhr Nulis herumschweben. Kleine Roboterdrohnen, die so ziemlich alles erledigen, was früher Menschen tun mussten. Genauso sieht es in den Fabriken aus. Auch dort ist alles roboterisiert/automatisiert.

Die Arbeitslosenquote ist in einer Welt, in denen Roboter alles erledigen, gigantisch und die Schule nicht unbedingt ein Weg, der zum Erfolg führt.

Marisa lebt in dieser Welt. 24 Stunden am T
Brooke (The Cover Contessa)
I want to thank Harper Teen for providing me with a copy of this book to read and give an honest review. Receiving this book for free has in no way altered my opinion or review.

This is my first Dan Wells book. I've seen his name around. And I've seen people really like his stuff. And I'm all about Sci-fi. So I was excited to give this one a try. And it did not disappoint.

The first thing I will point out is how much I loved Wells' writing style. It was fast paced and fun. I never for a moment fel
Nikki
Nov 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult, sci-fi
2.5/5 Stars

Marisa Carneseca—like everyone else in her time—lives on the internet, where she does everything including going to school, meeting up with her friends, and playing video games. This is all made possible thanks to a smart device implanted in a person's brain—a djinni. When a virtual drug called Bluescreen suddenly begins to spread a terrible virus that puts thousands of lives in danger, Marisa and her friends are determined to put a stop to it.

I enjoyed reading Bluescreen, and I loved
Braulio SolHer
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Iniciaré diciendo que cuando leí No soy un serial killer no quedé con muchas ganas de leer mas de Wells, porque aunque me ha gustado no quedé del todo satisfecho.
Pero por cuestiones de la vida me toca leer Bluescreen y wow! me he enamorado de la historia de Wells
Y es que es tan distinta y es tan futurista, la historia de principio a fin te va dando detalles que al final importarán y aunque lo sabes y te das cuenta de ello, lo disfrutas y al final explota tu mente con cada suceso porque no sabía
Tamara (Tamaraniac)
Nov 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: virtual-reality, arc
Real rating: 3.5 stars

Read the full review on my blog: http://tamaraniac.com/2016/01/bluescr...

Some of my very favorite themes to read about in science fiction are virtual reality gaming and people having computer - like neural implants. Bluescreen by Dan Wells had both of these things as elements of the plot, and I feel like they were executed very well. While they were both familiar things that I like to read about, this book also managed to put a different spin on them and make them fresh and
Choice Book Assignment Will B 1 1 Mar 07, 2018 02:23PM
David Estes Fans ...: Bluescreen Buddy Read 16 10 Sep 19, 2016 08:20PM
Science Fiction A...: Is anyone else excited for Bluescreen? 1 23 Feb 12, 2016 06:34AM
  • Night Speed
  • Dark Energy
  • Where Futures End
  • Future Shock (Future Shock, #1)
  • Polaris (Avalon, #2)
  • dotwav
  • Flashfall (Flashfall, #1)
  • Facsimile
  • Unplugged (The Wired, #1)
  • Gamescape: Overworld (Nova Project #1)
  • Vicarious (Vicarious, #1)
  • Pitch Dark
  • On the Edge of Gone
  • The Corridor (The Corridor Duology, #1)
  • Defy the Stars (Constellation, #1)
  • Etherworld (Elusion, #2)
  • The Edge of Forever (The Edge of Forever #1)
  • The Hunt (The Cage, #2)
Dan Wells is a thriller and science fiction writer. Born in Utah, he spent his early years reading and writing. He is he author of the Partials series (Partials, Isolation, Fragments, and Ruins), the John Cleaver series (I Am Not a Serial Killer, Mr. Monster, and I Don't Want To Kill You), and a few others (The Hollow City, A Night of Blacker Darkness, etc). He was a Campbell nomine for best new w ...more
More about Dan Wells

Mirador (3 books)
  • Ones and Zeroes (Mirador, #2)
  • Active Memory (Mirador, #3)

Young Adult Deals

• Beneath the Shine
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Greensleeves
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Keeping You a Secret
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Gena/Finn
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Trusting You & Other Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
  • A Totally Awkward Love Story
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
  • Time Bomb
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Kissing Max Holden
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Some Fine Day
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
  • The Odds of Loving Grover Cleveland
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Darkness Brutal (The Dark Cycle #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glittering Court (The Glittering Court, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Poisonwell (Whispers from Mirrowen, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Chaos (Guards of the Shadowlands, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Secondborn (Secondborn, #1)
  • Hate List
    $8.99 $1.99
  • I Funny: A Middle School Story
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Blight of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Time's Edge (The Chronos Files, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Brazen (Gilded #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Girl in the Shadows (Cirque American #2)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • How to Train Your Dragon
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Wretched of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
“How can it be hard and easy at the same time?” asked Omar.
“It's like a really tall wall,” said Anja. “It might be hard to climb, but there's no flying crocodiles to fight off while you do it.”
2 likes
“Your Overworld persona is a hero,” said Bao. “Heartbeat is a hero. Calaca's a psychopath, but he was right about one thing — the internet is the real world. What you do there matters, and what you do here matters. I've seen you spend days nursing a sick sister back to health; I've seen you work triple shifts in this restaurant to pay your family's mortgage. You took Gabi to ballet when your parents were too scared to send her. Three nights ago you ran into the middle of a freeway to rescue your friend. You're not just a hero, Mari, you're my hero. If anyone can figure this out, it's you.” 1 likes