Start by marking “Foxglove Summer (Peter Grant, #5)” as Want to Read:
Foxglove Summer (Peter Grant, #5)

Foxglove Summer (Peter Grant #5)

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  20,270 Ratings  ·  1,724 Reviews
In the fifth of his bestselling series Ben Aaronovitch takes Peter Grant out of whatever comfort zone he might have found and takes him out of London - to a small village in Herefordshire where the local police are reluctant to admit that there might be a supernatural element to the disappearance of some local children. But while you can take the London copper out of Londo ...more
Published November 13th 2014 by Gollancz

Patrick
Nov 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I continue to love this series. Great main character. Great voice. Great mix of mystery and resolution. Great mix of short and long term story lines.

Really, there's nothing here I don't like. And given how critical I can be, I hope you all realize how huge a statement that is coming from me....

I listened to this one on audiobook. And the Narrator is absolute top-notch.
Carol.

I haven't yet been able to review a Peter Grant book immediately after finishing. I suppose I'm basking in book afterglow. Once again, Aaronovitch writes an engrossing, unpredictable urban fantasy, perhaps his best yet.

A good story, a generous sprinkling of dark police humor, decent police procedural all combine for a read that fully occupied my Sunday afternoon.

Chuckles as I started:

Sarcasm about family:
"I sighed--policing would be so much easier if people didn't have concerned relatives. The
Nataliya
Mar 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014-reads
'There’s weird shit,’ I said. ‘And we deal with the weird shit, but normally it turns out that there’s a perfectly rational explanation.’ Which is often that a wizard did it.
By now Ben Aaronovitch's Peter Grant series has clearly found its footing and has definitely established itself in the world of urban fantasy in all its refreshing quirkiness and nerdiness, and even got to a point when it needs to take a break from itself and take a quick interlude, a countryside detour, and learn that som
Carol.
Jun 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of police UF/audio
Lemonade and ice. BBQ and ribs. Mac and cheese. Salt and caramel. Some things are perfect complements of flavor. Holbrook-Smith's voice acting and Aaronovitch's words are the ultimate combination, the Ben & Jerry's of the book world.

This is the first series where audio has really demonstrated it's value for me, a fast reader. Prior to this, I've tried Evonovitch, a Harry Potter book and one or two others. An Alas, Babylon convinced me of the value of continuing to give the medium a try, so
Philip
Apr 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.25ish stars.

Perhaps my favorite of the series so far not least because it's made the most sense. :) One of the only issues I have with the series is the general lack of cohesion from book to book. This is a personal preference but I favor focus in my police procedurals as opposed to more "true-to-real-life" stories following several plots and going on adventures that aren't necessarily relevant to the plot even if they do widen the universe and the characterizations. I thought the mystery here
Lyn
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
ATTENTION SPECULATIVE FICTION FANS!!!

DROP WHAT YOU’RE DOING, SAVE YOUR PAGE ON THE BOOK YOU’RE READING.

GO GET ALL THE BEN AARONOVITCH PETER GRANT BOOKS AND READ THEM ALL!!!

Just finished his 2014 novel, and fifth in the series, Foxglove Summer and I immediately had ready book six The Hanging Tree (as well as the 5.5 novella The Furthest Station).

Not since Kevin Hearne’s Iron Druid series have I been so enamored of a storyline, and I love Atticus and Oberon but I think this is better.

What makes th
Lois Bujold
Dec 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who shares my tastes, but start with Vol. #1

Well, that was fun.

Readers who don't know the series should not start here, but rather, with the first book, Rivers of London or, in its US retitling, Midnight Riot.

Readers who do know the series should not get spoilers, which leaves me with not much to say by way of a review. I liked this a lot, both in the new scenery and material specific to this volume, and the interstitial carrying-along of the larger series story arc, which is starting to take shape nicely. I want to reread it soon, but I
Tim The Enchanter
Posted to The Literary Lawyer.ca

Aaronovitch Shakes it Up! - 5 Stars

Aaronovitch does the right thing for this series. He takes the main character out of the city, puts some of the ongoing and unanswered questions on the shelf and make Peter Grant shine on his own. The story structure is a marked departure from the first four books but, in my opinion, is one of the best in the series.

Plot summary

In the British countryside, a couple of children have gone missing. Peter Grant's governor send
Bradley
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This continues to be one of the very best UF series out there for a very good reason... It's always the careful attention to detail. Proper if you're a copper.

Honestly, I think this one might have hit me in the feels even more than the previous ones even though the last book's zinger was a doozy. I think it had everything to do with the fact it was a massive hunt for missing children.

Even the magical copper was called in for this one, and good thing, too.

So many of the great reveals in this myst
Mogsy (MMOGC)
5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.com/2015/01/02/b...

There are only a few urban fantasy series I would drop everything for, and this is one of them. So when Foxglove Summer arrived on my doorstep, I did exactly that – every other book that was on my plate got put on hold while I set forth to devour this one. Move over, “The Boy Who Lived”, for when it comes to my favorite British wizard, his name is Peter Grant.

Foxglove Summer may the fifth installment of the series, but it’
Carolyn
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, urban-fantasy
Another excellent book in a great urban fantasy series. For a change of scene and pace, Peter is sent out to a small village in Herefordshire where two 11 year old girls have disappeared. He's asked to check on any amateur or retired magic practitioners in the district and make sure there are no magical elements to the disappearance.

It's great to see Peter out of his element in the countryside, where he discovers trees and birds as well as some unusual bees. He also gets to meets some mythical
Orient
A brand new change for Peter! He’s out of London and has no Nightingale to cover up his back during the meeting with some bad big muscular princesses Lunas poking around and some other crazy fairy stuff.

I admired how Peter shines as a character being left alone in the magic field. He definitely grew up to be more self-confident and skilled. And he has a girlfriend worthy his magical self. Yay!

Also it was cool to know more about the mysterious Ettersberg and to my joy there are still enough myst
Phrynne
Apr 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A full five stars for this one both for the book itself which was excellent and for the narrator who is just brilliant! He has really made this series for me. I am not sure if it would be as good reading it to myself. This is the fifth in the series and our main character is really finding his feet in the magical world. He is also doing pretty well in his love life and apart from missing one particular person life is good. I always enjoy the way he mixes mundane police work with his magical skil ...more
Brendon Schrodinger
Sep 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, mystery
'Foxglove Summer' follows my odd/even prediction for this series. 4 star odd books and 3 star even books. There is a reason behind this I think, but that would involve spoilers sweetie.

Peter Grant's life has changed dramatically since he became an apprentice wizard cop. He is thoroughly entrenched into the magical world now, with several magical women on the fly and others left by the wayside because they may have been succubi or vampires. He is a smart guy and a good cop, who likes to bend the
Evelina | AvalinahsBooks
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: urban fantasy lovers, Doctor Who fans, people with a sense of humor
I love this series so much, and I could talk endlessly about it. But I have to admit, this one was a little weak by the end. However, I couldn't give it less than 4 stars!

(If you're a loyal fan of any series, you'll know why.)

Before we delve into it, the review with all the gifs and no gif errors can be found on my blog! Check it out for more reviews. By the way, absolutely anyone can comment on the blog - just leave the "website" box empty.

There's also the fact that the entire book was very str
CiderandRedRot
Pre-release review: Somewhere in the back reaches of my brain is a desperate hope that this book will be a Peter Grant (Ben Aaronovitch)/Merrily Watkins (Phil Rickman) crossover story. I'm just going to pretend that the "small village in Herefordshire" is Ledwardine, the "local police...reluctant to admit that there might be a supernatural element" includes Franny Bliss, that there's a scene where Merrily and Nightingale have a good old chinwag about theological issues next to the Aga at the Vic ...more
Karl
Feb 28, 2018 marked it as to-read
This hardcover first edition is signed by Ben Aaronovitch.
Algernon
Dec 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014

My fifth book following the magical investigations of Peter Grant, and there is no sign of flagging interest (as comparison, I have given up on Harry Dresden antics after four books, even if my friends keep telling me that the series get better later on). One of the keys to success may be the apparent lack of formula, with each new book going in a different direction than the previous one, but remaining consistent with the already established lore and expanding on the worldbuilding and the chara
Elizabeth
Nov 20, 2014 rated it liked it
3.5 stars really but I can't bump it up. I do enjoy the Peter Grant series and this was another interesting installment. We're out of London and into the countryside but still finding beauty and fascinating facts in the life and history of the surroundings. I adore how this series is essentially a police procedural where, to the frustration of just about everyone, magical things just keep happening. And I so appreciate a fantasy book that doesn't feel the need to come up with some overly elabora ...more
Cathy (cathepsut)
First of the series where I listened to the audio instead of reading it. I liked the audio a lot. Holdbrook-Smith does an excellent job of keeping it lively, real and impersonating the various characters well.

The first of the books not set in London. Nightingale is mostly absent, which is a shame, but the characters that do re-appear or are introduced are fun.

Quite a police procedural (with a twist). I enjoyed the Britishness of it and the countryside setting.

There were two characters that I ha
Lata
Though the ending felt abrupt with a bunch of questions left unanswered, I loved Peter's time in the British countryside and dealing with the coppers and residents on a weird child disappearance case. I liked the officer Peter was paired with, who seemed to accept the oddness happening on the case pretty well. And Beverly's back!
I really appreciate the way Ben Aaronovitch populates this series with such a wide variety of people; it never feels like tokenism or preachy.
Kobna Holdbrook-Smith again
Mimi
Feb 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The events in this book take place a little over a month following the explosive ending in Broken Homes . Life at the Folly is back to relative normal as Peter and Nightingale settle back into their old routine, with a few minor changes. One being Nightingale now has to babysit Varvara Sidorovna and the other being too spoilery to mention. Since Nightingale can't leave the Folly until he uncovers more about the Faceless Man and whatever plans he's cooking up, it's up to Peter to take on a missi ...more
Elspeth
Yummy, but where did the ending go?
Vivienne
May 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Gobbled this down in less than a day. More Peter Grant goodness. Second book I've read this week where a gay couple is presented as a normal part of the story (other one was Tainted Blood by ML Brennan). No raised eyebrows, no angst, no moralising one way or another. They just are. And isn't it nice.
Obsidian
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Spoilers for those who have not read books #1 through #4.

Nah.

Seriously. I know I am probably going to get yelled at for this review. But I stand by everything I am saying. This felt like half a book. There were so many dangling threads left that when the book came to an end I had to make sure that I didn't accidentally skip over the pages. The lack of Nightingale being part of things was felt. Peter was being a fool throughout most of the book so that was frustrating. I don't know what we are
Paul
Aug 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-read-2016
Peter Grant is a city boy through and through. But after the betrayal of a close colleague and friend, his boss Nightingale thinks that a spell in the country will do him the world of good. And while he is there perhaps he can give a hand to the police in Herefordshire that are searching for two missing girls as there is the possibility that magic is involved.

First stop though is to a retired wizard to see if he is aware of any disturbances in the area. He isn’t but his granddaughter who is a b
Penny
This wasn't the best book in the series so far, but that said it was still a fantastic read. I wanted more closure on events that occurred in the previous book, but I guess we'll have to wait for the next book for that.

Peter Grant is still one of my favourite characters and he kept me interested throughout the book. I'm really rather impatient for the next book in the series though!
Stephanie Swint
Apr 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
For this and more of my reviews visit https://bookishswint.wordpress.com

After a painful betrayal in Broken Homes Peter Grant is focused on getting through the day. He is still in the process of being debriefed for three separate Formaturgical (magic related) cases and sees no end in sight since the investigations were complete disasters. One, specifically, ended his involvement in it by being tasered in the back by a good friend and colleague. As a result, he spends his time practicing both norm
Richard
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, fantasy
7.5/10

Remember the TV show Lost where you’d get a cliffhanger at the end of the episode and for the next few episodes they’d look at different characters and you’d have to wait like a month for any pay off (if at all). This sort of felt like that. There was a series changing ending to the last book but we’ve taken a pause on all that and taken the series out of London on a different type of case. There were little tidbits but not the full reveal I craved.

Once I’d gotten over this I enjoyed the
Athena
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Peter Grant fans
Another splendid read from Ben Aaronovitch who's managed to create his own genre of British Bureaucracy-Skewering Urban Fantasy. He reminds me of a snarky James Thurber, but with a London accent and a bit more attitude toward common human haplessness.

Foxglove Summer takes place in 'Leominster' (pronounced 'Lemster', or possibly 'luxury yacht'), a bucolic setting that takes our Peter Grant outside his beloved London. It's populated with Aaronovitch's almost patented snarky take on nearly everyt
The Folly Irregulars: Foxglove Summer--finished 37 33 Apr 08, 2018 02:49PM
2015 Reading Chal...: Foxglove Summer by Ben Aaronovitch 1 13 Apr 17, 2015 07:34AM
February Buddy read 16 26 Mar 13, 2015 09:44AM
The Challenge Fac...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Marie & Ketty - Foxglove Summer 1 9 Jan 28, 2015 08:40AM
  • The Glass God (Magicals Anonymous, #2)
  • The Severed Streets (Shadow Police, #2)
  • Hidden (Alex Verus, #5)
  • Chaos Choreography (InCryptid, #5)
  • Vicious Circle (Felix Castor, #2)
  • The Rhesus Chart (Laundry Files, #5)
  • Full Fathom Five (Craft Sequence, #3)
  • The Getaway God (Sandman Slim, #6)
Ben Aaronovitch's career started with a bang writing for Doctor Who, subsided in the middle and then, as is traditional, a third act resurgence with the bestselling Rivers of London series.

Born and raised in London he says that he'll leave his home when they prise his city out of his cold dead fingers.
More about Ben Aaronovitch

Peter Grant (7 books)
  • Rivers of London (Peter Grant, #1)
  • Moon Over Soho (Peter Grant, #2)
  • Whispers Under Ground (Peter Grant, #3)
  • Broken Homes (Peter Grant, #4)
  • The Hanging Tree (Peter Grant, #6)
  • Lies Sleeping

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • An Unwelcome Quest
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Luna: New Moon
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
“He called it potentia because there's nothing quite like Latin for disguising the fact you're making it up as you go along.” 32 likes
“Dedication   This book is dedicated to Sir Terry Pratchett OBE who has stood like a wossname upon the rocky shores of our imaginations – the better to guide us safely into harbour.” 23 likes