Start by marking “Foxglove Summer (Rivers of London, #5)” as Want to Read:
Foxglove Summer (Rivers of London, #5)

Foxglove Summer

(Rivers of London #5)

4.20  ·  Rating details ·  38,789 ratings  ·  2,688 reviews
In the fifth of his bestselling series Ben Aaronovitch takes Peter Grant out of whatever comfort zone he might have found and takes him out of London - to a small village in Herefordshire where the local police are reluctant to admit that there might be a supernatural element to the disappearance of some local children. But while you can take the London copper out of Londo ...more
Hardcover, First Edition, 377 pages
Published November 13th 2014 by Gollancz

To ask other readers questions about Foxglove Summer, please sign up.
Silvio111 I am not British but have been an Anglophile all my literate life and I love these novels. Most of my confusion is about police matters, not British s…moreI am not British but have been an Anglophile all my literate life and I love these novels. Most of my confusion is about police matters, not British stuff. I confess all the talk of the A40 road (or whatever) leave me clueless, but I don't mind a bit.

And I am glad the publishers are not "AMERICANIZING" the versions available to us in the U.S. I HATE when they do that. Being exposed to new stuff is one of life's small joys.(less)

·  38,789 ratings  ·  2,688 reviews

Start your review of Foxglove Summer (Rivers of London, #5)
Patrick
Nov 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I continue to love this series. Great main character. Great voice. Great mix of mystery and resolution. Great mix of short and long term story lines.

Really, there's nothing here I don't like. And given how critical I can be, I hope you all realize how huge a statement that is coming from me....

I listened to this one on audiobook. And the Narrator is absolute top-notch.
carol.
I haven't yet been able to review a Peter Grant book immediately after finishing. I suppose I'm basking in book afterglow. Once again, Aaronovitch writes an engrossing, unpredictable urban fantasy. A good story, a generous sprinkling of dark police humor, decent police procedural all combine for a read that fully occupied my Sunday afternoon.

Chuckles as I started:

Sarcasm about family:
"I sighed--policing would be so much easier if people didn't have concerned relatives. The murder rate would be
carol.
Lemonade and ice. BBQ and ribs. Mac and cheese. Salt and caramel. Some things are perfect complements of flavor. Holbrook-Smith's voice acting and Aaronovitch's words are the ultimate combination, the Ben & Jerry's of the book world.

This is the first series where audio has really demonstrated it's value for me, a fast reader. Prior to this, I've tried Evonovitch, a Harry Potter book and one or two others. An Alas, Babylon convinced me of the value of continuing to give the medium a try, so I fi
Nataliya
Mar 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014-reads
'There’s weird shit,’ I said. ‘And we deal with the weird shit, but normally it turns out that there’s a perfectly rational explanation.’ Which is often that a wizard did it.
By now Ben Aaronovitch's Peter Grant series has clearly found its footing and has definitely established itself in the world of urban fantasy in all its refreshing quirkiness and nerdiness, and even got to a point when it needs to take a break from itself and take a quick interlude, a countryside detour, and learn that s
Lyn
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
ATTENTION SPECULATIVE FICTION FANS!!!

DROP WHAT YOU’RE DOING, SAVE YOUR PAGE ON THE BOOK YOU’RE READING.

GO GET ALL THE BEN AARONOVITCH PETER GRANT BOOKS AND READ THEM ALL!!!

Just finished his 2014 novel, and fifth in the series, Foxglove Summer and I immediately had ready book six The Hanging Tree (as well as the 5.5 novella The Furthest Station).

Not since Kevin Hearne’s Iron Druid series have I been so enamored of a storyline, and I love Atticus and Oberon but I think this is better.

What makes th
Philip
Apr 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.25ish stars.

Perhaps my favorite of the series so far not least because it's made the most sense. :) One of the only issues I have with the series is the general lack of cohesion from book to book. This is a personal preference but I favor focus in my police procedurals as opposed to more "true-to-real-life" stories following several plots and going on adventures that aren't necessarily relevant to the plot even if they do widen the universe and the characterizations. I thought the mystery here
Em Lost In Books
Feb 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020, 2010-19, 4-star
Best of the series for me! Dark humor was excellent, mystery was fantastic, and we finally get to know what kind of creature Molly is. It was worth the wait. Hope Ben will dish out more about her in coming books.
Lois Bujold
Dec 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing

Well, that was fun.

Readers who don't know the series should not start here, but rather, with the first book, Rivers of London or, in its US retitling, Midnight Riot.

Readers who do know the series should not get spoilers, which leaves me with not much to say by way of a review. I liked this a lot, both in the new scenery and material specific to this volume, and the interstitial carrying-along of the larger series story arc, which is starting to take shape nicely. I want to reread it soon, but I
Bradley
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Re-Read 9/1/21:

Gotta love getting run down by unicorns in the boonies.

Still a great UF. :)

Original Review:

This continues to be one of the very best UF series out there for a very good reason... It's always the careful attention to detail. Proper if you're a copper.

Honestly, I think this one might have hit me in the feels even more than the previous ones even though the last book's zinger was a doozy. I think it had everything to do with the fact it was a massive hunt for missing children.

Even th
Emily B
3.5 really. Not my favourite in the series but better than other books that I’ve rated 3 stars
Still excited to continue with this serious as audiobooks
Tim The Enchanter
Posted to The Literary Lawyer.ca

Aaronovitch Shakes it Up! - 5 Stars

Aaronovitch does the right thing for this series. He takes the main character out of the city, puts some of the ongoing and unanswered questions on the shelf and make Peter Grant shine on his own. The story structure is a marked departure from the first four books but, in my opinion, is one of the best in the series.

Plot summary

In the British countryside, a couple of children have gone missing. Peter Grant's governor send
Phrynne
Apr 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A full five stars for this one both for the book itself which was excellent and for the narrator who is just brilliant! He has really made this series for me. I am not sure if it would be as good reading it to myself. This is the fifth in the series and our main character is really finding his feet in the magical world. He is also doing pretty well in his love life and apart from missing one particular person life is good. I always enjoy the way he mixes mundane police work with his magical skil ...more
Steven
Either this story was way better than most of the others, or taking a (long) break from the series helped reboot my enjoyment of it, because I read this one quite quickly compared to the last one in the series.

This one doesn't really push the Faceless Man storyline forward, other than some phone interactions with you-know-who after that person you-know-what'd in the last book and what appears to be a dire warning.

But honestly, the fae storyline in this one was fantastic.
Mogsy (MMOGC)
5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.com/2015/01/02/b...

There are only a few urban fantasy series I would drop everything for, and this is one of them. So when Foxglove Summer arrived on my doorstep, I did exactly that – every other book that was on my plate got put on hold while I set forth to devour this one. Move over, “The Boy Who Lived”, for when it comes to my favorite British wizard, his name is Peter Grant.

Foxglove Summer may the fifth installment of the series, but it’
Carolyn
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy, 2018
Another excellent book in a great urban fantasy series. For a change of scene and pace, Peter is sent out to a small village in Herefordshire where two 11 year old girls have disappeared. He's asked to check on any amateur or retired magic practitioners in the district and make sure there are no magical elements to the disappearance.

It's great to see Peter out of his element in the countryside, where he discovers trees and birds as well as some unusual bees. He also gets to meets some mythical
Ken
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Aaronovitch‘s urban fantasy series continues to be a delight.
Whilst this fifth entry offers something slightly different, it continues to have all the elements that makes this series perfect.

Swapping the London setting for a trip to a rural Herefordshire village shows the strength of the characters and mythology the author has created.

Our main protagonist P.C. Peter Grant needs a break from the capital after the events from the previous book, he jumps at the chance to help solve the missing chi
Cynnamon
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another one in the excellent Peter Grant series.

This time Peter makes a trip to the countryside to support the local police in a case of missing children.

It’s hard to say anything about the content without giving too much of the story away. We (and Peter) definitely learn a lot about English forests, history and mythology. Also there are clear hints that the case of the faceless man is still ongoing.

What I particularly liked was, that Peter could finally determine, what kind of creature Molly is
B Schrodinger
Sep 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, mystery
'Foxglove Summer' follows my odd/even prediction for this series. 4 star odd books and 3 star even books. There is a reason behind this I think, but that would involve spoilers sweetie.

Peter Grant's life has changed dramatically since he became an apprentice wizard cop. He is thoroughly entrenched into the magical world now, with several magical women on the fly and others left by the wayside because they may have been succubi or vampires. He is a smart guy and a good cop, who likes to bend the
Orient
A brand new change for Peter! He’s out of London and has no Nightingale to cover up his back during the meeting with some bad big muscular princesses Lunas poking around and some other crazy fairy stuff.

I admired how Peter shines as a character being left alone in the magic field. He definitely grew up to be more self-confident and skilled. And he has a girlfriend worthy his magical self. Yay!

Also it was cool to know more about the mysterious Ettersberg and to my joy there are still enough my
Julie
Mar 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
3/28/21 Just had to look up the term "Midwich Cuckoo colored hair" because I had no idea what that meant. Apparently, it means platinum blonde. A Google search uncovered the following information: In 1957, John Wyndham published a science fiction book titled, "The Midwich Cuckoos." The book is based in an English village where women were impregnated by parasitic aliens. The resulting offspring have blonde hair, silvery skin and golden eyes.

While I am here, I may as well post my favorite quotes
CiderandRedRot
Pre-release review: Somewhere in the back reaches of my brain is a desperate hope that this book will be a Peter Grant (Ben Aaronovitch)/Merrily Watkins (Phil Rickman) crossover story. I'm just going to pretend that the "small village in Herefordshire" is Ledwardine, the "local police...reluctant to admit that there might be a supernatural element" includes Franny Bliss, that there's a scene where Merrily and Nightingale have a good old chinwag about theological issues next to the Aga at the Vic ...more
Mimi
Feb 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The events in this book take place a little over a month following the explosive ending in Broken Homes. Life at the Folly is back to relative normal as Peter and Nightingale settle back into their old routine, with a few minor changes. One being Nightingale now has to babysit Varvara Sidorovna and the other being too spoilery to mention. Since Nightingale can’t leave the Folly until he uncovers more about the Faceless Man and whatever plans he’s cooking up, it’s up to Peter to take on a missing ...more
Obsidian
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Spoilers for those who have not read books #1 through #4.

Nah.

Seriously. I know I am probably going to get yelled at for this review. But I stand by everything I am saying. This felt like half a book. There were so many dangling threads left that when the book came to an end I had to make sure that I didn't accidentally skip over the pages. The lack of Nightingale being part of things was felt. Peter was being a fool throughout most of the book so that was frustrating. I don't know what we are
Algernon (Darth Anyan)
Dec 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014

My fifth book following the magical investigations of Peter Grant, and there is no sign of flagging interest (as comparison, I have given up on Harry Dresden antics after four books, even if my friends keep telling me that the series get better later on). One of the keys to success may be the apparent lack of formula, with each new book going in a different direction than the previous one, but remaining consistent with the already established lore and expanding on the worldbuilding and the chara
Evelina | AvalinahsBooks
I love this series so much, and I could talk endlessly about it. But I have to admit, this one was a little weak by the end. However, I couldn't give it less than 4 stars!

(If you're a loyal fan of any series, you'll know why.)

Before we delve into it, the review with all the gifs and no gif errors can be found on my blog! Check it out for more reviews. By the way, absolutely anyone can comment on the blog - just leave the "website" box empty.

There's also the fact that the entire book was very str
Lata
2022-02: I needed a pick-me-up, and this book did it for me. The wonderful voicings of Kobna Holdbrook-Smith were what I needed to get me through a cold day. And it's always great to check in with Peter "distracted" Grant while he deals with all the weird stuff. Like big, furious unicorns.....

2018-05: Though the ending felt abrupt with a bunch of questions left unanswered, I loved Peter's time in the British countryside and dealing with the coppers and residents on a weird child disappearance ca
Wanda Pedersen
***2021 Dog Days of Summer***

It's time for my summer theme and this year I have chosen to read books that include canine companions. This volume of the Peter Grant series has only a couple of mentions of Toby the terrier, as the ghost hunting dog. Peter once again mentions the yap-o-metre, Toby's bark rate which varies depending on magic levels. Still this was a very enjoyable re-read.

I can't believe that I didn't write a review after my first reading, but perhaps Goodreads ate it. At any ra
Elspeth
Yummy, but where did the ending go?
Karl
Feb 28, 2018 marked it as to-read
This hardcover first edition is signed by Ben Aaronovitch.
Cathy
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First of the series where I listened to the audio instead of reading it. I liked the audio a lot. Holdbrook-Smith does an excellent job of keeping it lively, real and impersonating the various characters well.

The first of the books not set in London. Nightingale is mostly absent, which is a shame, but the characters that do re-appear or are introduced are fun.

Quite a police procedural (with a twist). I enjoyed the Britishness of it and the countryside setting.

There were two characters that I ha
Goodreads Librari...: Not sure about alternative cover rules 3 23 Dec 10, 2019 05:46PM
The Folly Irregulars: Foxglove Summer--finished 39 92 Jan 16, 2019 12:05PM
Q&A with Josh Lanyon: Peter Grant Challenge #5: Foxglove Summer 7 23 May 29, 2017 12:20AM
2015 Reading Chal...: Foxglove Summer by Ben Aaronovitch 1 14 Apr 17, 2015 07:34AM
February Buddy read 16 27 Mar 13, 2015 09:44AM

• Fated (Alex Verus, #1)
  • Cursed (Alex Verus, #2)
  • Chosen (Alex Verus, #4)
  • Taken (Alex Verus, #3)
  • Hidden (Alex Verus, #5)
  • Veiled (Alex Verus, #6)
  • Bound (Alex Verus, #8)
  • Burned (Alex Verus, #7)
  • This Charming Man (Stranger Times #2)
  • Italian Lessons: Fifty Things We Know about Life Now
  • The Bullet That Missed (Thursday Murder Club, #3)
  • Written in Dead Wax (The Vinyl Detective #1)
  • Marked (Alex Verus, #9)
  • The Golden Enclaves (The Scholomance, #3)
  • A Second Chance (The Chronicles of St Mary's, #3)
  • Risen (Alex Verus, #12)
  • Attack and Decay (Vinyl Detective #6)
  • Fallen (Alex Verus, #10)
See top shelves…
Ben Aaronovitch's career started with a bang writing for Doctor Who, subsided in the middle and then, as is traditional, a third act resurgence with the bestselling Rivers of London series.

Born and raised in London he says that he'll leave his home when they prise his city out of his cold dead fingers.

Rivers of London (9 books)
  • Rivers of London (Rivers of London, #1)
  • Moon Over Soho (Rivers of London, #2)
  • Whispers Under Ground (Rivers of London, #3)
  • Broken Homes (Rivers of London, #4)
  • The Hanging Tree (Rivers of London, #6)
  • Lies Sleeping (Rivers of London, #7)
  • False Value (Rivers of London, #8)
  • Amongst Our Weapons (Rivers of London, #9)