Start by marking “Amor líquido: Acerca de la fragilidad de los vínculos humanos” as Want to Read:
Amor líquido: Acerca de la fragilidad de los vínculos humanos

Amor líquido: Acerca de la fragilidad de los vínculos humanos

(Liquid Series)

Como parte de su certero análisis de la sociedad en el mundo globalizado y de los cambios que éste impone a la condición humana, el autor analiza el amor y cómo, en la esfera creciente de lo comercial, las relaciones son pensadas en términos de costos y beneficios, es decir, de conveniencia. A través de una reflexión audaz y original Bauman revela las injusticias y las ang ...more
Published November 15th 2012 by Fondo de Cultura Económica (first published 2003)

Start your review of Amor líquido: Acerca de la fragilidad de los vínculos humanos
Raul
Nov 05, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Please don't let the sappy cover discourage you from reading this. I suppose the metaphor of the heart in the sand about to be washed away by the sea is appropriate, but it suggests that this is some cheap, self-help nonsense when it's actually a highly in-depth, intellectual exploration of the fluidity of human bonds in modern society.

Zygmunt Bauman is a world-renown sociologist. This is my first contact with his concept of the "liquid modern society". I've often complained, griped, wondered,
Alessandra  Anyzewski
It took me a really long time to finish reading it.. I may say, regardless the theme is VERY appropriate for our times, it is a very difficult book. To really profit his ideas, me, an engineer (not someone used to study philosophy), had to be very engaged on it. The terms in other languages, even the terms translated, needed to be searched, the language is difficult.
But, from what I understood, wow, this man was really a genius. Started from our personal relations, the liquid ones, and how we a
Dimitris Hall
Liquid Love is an ambitious book. It tries to tackle the contemporary problem of the "frailty of human bonds" in a microscopic but also a trans-social way. In other words, it studies how capitalist society has made people more reluctant to form close bonds (so that they can easily "buy" new ones with minimum possible pain inflicted), to how cities are built in a way to distance people from each other and disallow strangers from stop being strangers, to how nation-states are treating immigrants ( ...more
Francisco Ossandón
What the hell is wrong with this cover?!
Rut
Aug 12, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I liked the book, but there is something I would like to comment on:

I agree with Matamoros (http://www.filosofia.net/materiales/r...), who pointed out that liquid love exists in part due to the fact that women are not forced by structural constrains to be in a -romantic- relationship anymore. As such, liquid love would be a POSITIVE sign, resulting from the ability of both parties involved to be in the relationship willingly. Fair enough, the rise of individualism has to be taken into account, b
Nicolien
Jun 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: social-sciences
"This sudden abundance and apparent availability of 'love experiences' may (and does) feed the conviction that love (falling in love, soliciting love) is a skill to be learned, and that the mastery of the skill grows with the number of experiments and assiduity of exercise. One may even (and one all too often does) believe that love-making skills are bound to grow as the experience accumulates (...).
This is, though, another illusion... The kind of knowledge that rises in volume as the string of
Carolyn
Jun 10, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: culture
My first encounter with Bauman was this text about love and intimacy in a liquid modern world in which all commitments are (he argues) "until further notice." Not only was it theoretically interesting and thought-provoking, it was a joy to read. Many academics seem to fear using too simplistic or artistic language for theoretical texts, but Bauman's lyrical prose made this a book I would certainly pick up again.
Aysha
Hands down one of the best sociology books I have ever read! What was more astonishing than the mere brilliance and perfection of the way he puts his analysis/interpretation (of the ‘liquid modernity’ we live/(float in)) into words, is how he accurately/insightfully predicts the consequences of such lifestyle (which we’re dealing with today) -although this book was written back in 2003 (I think)- and how he takes apart and disassembles each aspect very thoroughly and really well.
It wasn’t an ea
Bianca
Feb 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is a reflection about how the capitalist way of live influenced our lives, relationships and cities. In a very clear and kind way the author discusses sexuality, family, marriage, living in the big cities and immigration under the liquid society perspective. To me, it was enlightening and helped to understand certain behaviors that are now emerging in the society, like transgender or refugees camp. I would dare to say this book is a important tool to those who want to understand deeply ...more
Fadi
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read "liquid modernity" first.
Mat Davies
‘’Would the unfulfilled yearning, love’s frustrations, fears of loneliness and of being hurt, hypocrisy and guilt be left behind after a visit to the club?’’ (Sigh)

I am torn on this one. The first half of the book that explores the way relationships have changed is really good. Worth a 5 or 4 star, as banal as it sounds, rating. But I felt like the second half of the book went off into Bauman’s general analysis of global shifts.

If this had been the first book by Bauman that I had read, I would
Mary Karpel-Jergic
I found this book to be difficult to follow. The range of references to others work is vast but I found the links between them all to be loose. It is an interesting sociological concept. We are living in a liquid modern society and this has created a version of love that he argues is liquid; we develop no bonds that are unbreakable; no bonds are guaranteed to last and they are loosely tied so easily untied with little delay when the settings change - as in liquid modernity they surely will, over ...more
Lee Kofman
The first part of this book in particular, where Bauman discusses personal relationships, seems to be representative of what I felt was wrong with the entire work. It was grossly overwritten and repetitive, nostalgic and full of grand sweeping statements that in my view don’t make as much sense if you look at how people really live their lives, away from theoretical generalisations. I was most interested in the chapter that discusses life in large cities. Again, I felt Bauman kept skimming the s ...more
Eric Evers
He makes some bold claims about the nature of love which are hard to believe, but does so so poetically that one allows him to continue without too much logical violence. Technology can be used to help or hurt a relationship. He gives too few winks at the helping side. other than that his logic is well placed. The idea that the medium is the message is a little to literal when it comes to the speed of technology affecting social relationships. Alcohol and a short life span could cause shorter re ...more
Nan
Oct 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sociology
I have been a big Bauman fan from the first time I discovered him. I just love the way he scrutinizes our society. This book is a bit bittersweet. The first part is astonishing and inclement at the same time: love is hardly found but also hardly sought; in this world loneliness, uncertainty and fugacity determine our relationships. The second part is frankly disappointing: I was expecting a substantial prediction, a terrific conclusion… But Bauman just depicted the phenomena of migration, xenoph ...more
Michaela
A few exceptional observations, but the book as a whole dissapointed me. I believe that most of Bauman's statements are accurate, but the problem is that he tends to relate to the past as some golden age without a trace of a critical thinking. That makes the book seem like a long rant about how the society is falling apart and not a breakthrough piece of sociology.
Juan Lozano
I found the main concepts very interesting but on the whole it's kind of repetitive and slow.
احسان شاه‌قاسمی
Most of what people know as "unhappiness" could be avoided, if one only takes some hours to read it.
Alexander Svanevik
This book is basically a long rant with occasional nuggets of gold. I'd recommend reading a summary of the ideas on "liquid love" and "liquid modernity" rather than reading this book.
Joni
Jan 09, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
repetitive and whiny, but we remember him dearly
Baglan
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sociology
This cover needs its own playlist (Kenny G, George Michael, Air Supply and others).

Miguel Gosselin Dionne
You already know everything he says, yet it's life-changing.
ELK
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unexpectedly dense. I barely escaped this book alive but am glad I fought through it. Bauman explores all expressions of "permanent transience" in the modern world, from sexual relations to refugees. It is at times bloated and vague and does not put much effort into leading the reader, but this book is packed with meaning and very, very serious. Its sections on xenophobia are particularly potent right now.

Notes
Some sociologists, used to composing theories out of questionnaire statistics and the
Anik Singha
যুগের বই। একুশ শতাব্দীর দার্শনিকের বই তো। বারবার পড়ার মতোই। কই যেন শুনছিলাম মিনিমাম ছয়বার পড়া লাগে দার্শনিক কিছু বুঝতে হইলে। যদিও পুরাপুরি কিছুই বুঝি নাই বা মনেও নাই কী পইড়া দেখছিলাম। যাই হোক এই ইংরেজি উক্তিটাসহ- আরো কিছু ছিলো- ভাল্লাগছেঃ-

As Elias and Scotson found out, the more threatened the established population feels, the more their beliefs are likely to be driven `towards extremes of illusion and doctrin-aire rigidity'. And faced with an influx of refugees, the established population
valerio
There are some pretty good ideas scattered here and there in this book, but Bauman seems incapable of focusing on his message without broadening the discourse so much you eventually lose sight of what was the main point.

Anyway, the fact it manages to perfectly sum up the modern social networks phenomenon and how relationships work in the economic era a year before Facebook even began is by itself a noteworthy achievement.

Too bad Bauman reads like a smart thinker writing in sappy one-liners, he c
larry100
Dec 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bauman is an alien genius that looks at the humanity with deep rationality and sharp analysis but also manifesting the indulgence of a wise man and teacher to the presence of unprepared and unaware children.
It's a guide and an illumination for the understanding of our paranoias, obsessions and frustrations in our journey in this fatiguing liquid age.
Basak Beykoz
I aggree:
"Please don't let the sappy cover & the popularizing title of the book discourage you from reading this. The book suggests a highly in-depth, intellectual exploration of the fluidity of human bonds in modern society. "
Daria Zheglo
Jun 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So, this book goes beyond a topic of love. It covers liquid modernity with mixophobia, boundless relationships, consumerism, double standards and ambiguity which we are surrounded with.
Very rich language. Read it slowly, write down the quotes, this is an amazing research:)
Denisse Varela
Aug 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love how Bauman puts our human bondings in perspective.
Jordi

• The Consolations of Philosophy
  • مشكلة الأفكار في العالم الإسلامي
  • الإنسان المهدور: دراسة تحليلية نفسية اجتماعية
  • The Burnout Society
  • O dilema do porco-espinho: como encarar a solidão
  • This Craft of Verse
  • زاد المهاجر إلى ربه
Zygmunt Bauman was a world-renowned Polish sociologist and philosopher, and Emeritus Professor of Sociology at the University of Leeds. He was one of the world's most eminent social theorists, writing on issues as diverse as modernity and the Holocaust, postmodern consumerism and liquid modernity and one of the creators of the concept of “postmodernism”.

Liquid Series (8 books)